Yamaha MG10XU quiet USB audio?

_Grid21

Can someone help me understand why windows 10 is seeing my Yamaha MG10XU as such a quiet input over USB when my gain on my board is really loud and the recording volume on windows is maxed to 100%? I installed the right driver for the board and everything, so what's doing on here?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

The quickest way to do this is for you to take a picture of exactly how you've got it set up and post it.

4 hours ago, anothertom said:

The quickest way to do this is for you to take a picture of exactly how you've got it set up and post it.

This is how the board is wired. And this is how windows sees it. As you can see, my gain diel is pretty turned up on input line 1.

2018-03-04 10.03.14.jpg

Screenshot_3.png

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

When you connect the mixer over USB it simply duplicates the main outputs. So you need to turn the master output up as well.

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

When you connect the mixer over USB it simply duplicates the main outputs. So you need to turn the master output up as well.

I tried that and even that didn't quite work either, Is it possible that the USB output is controlled differently for volume?

Can you describe what inputs and outputs you're using please, as well as the source devices (mic, mp3 player, computer ...).

If you use the main outputs from the mixer is it still quiet or is it a reasonable volume?

1 hour ago, anothertom said:

Can you describe what inputs and outputs you're using please, as well as the source devices (mic, mp3 player, computer ...).

If you use the main outputs from the mixer is it still quiet or is it a reasonable volume?

The main outputs go to my M-Audio AV40s, then I have my Electro-Voice RE320 plugged into channel 1, which then the mic audio is sent through USB to the computer. I also have my wireless headphones plugged into the headphone output. On channels 5/6 is a DVD player and channels 7/8 is a extra audio in for a phone audio if I want it. I believe that all audio, whether the USB/Line button is pushed in, goes to the computer. But Channel 1 going through USB to the computer seems to be quiet.

And you're using the RE320 properly? as in, it's end address not side address. I'd be surprised if the mic wasn't clipping the channel with that much gain.

If you listen through the speakers the mic is still quiet?

2 hours ago, anothertom said:

And you're using the RE320 properly? as in, it's end address not side address. I'd be surprised if the mic wasn't clipping the channel with that much gain.

If you listen through the speakers the mic is still quiet?

When I listen to the mic through my speakers, it feeds back, but Windows thinks it's super quiet through USB which is really ticking me off. I had the same issue with my AudioBox USB. Is my Windows messed up?

Through your headphones then...

It's not got a low sensitivity, so you really shouldn't be having this issue. Presumably the other sources get passed through at the proper volume over USB?

44 minutes ago, anothertom said:

Through your headphones then...

It's not got a low sensitivity, so you really shouldn't be having this issue. Presumably the other sources get passed through at the proper volume over USB?

Well I went to test the mixer on my laptop with the same Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS and it had the same low volume from my microphone as on my desktop.

Lots of words ahead, but do try the whole sequence.

Ok, this is strange. Let's start over, for the moment unplug any other inputs other than the mic into channel 1, and reset the EQ, compressor, gain and level for each channel and master bus.

Let's test the mic the input to the mix are working properly. Don't worry about any output, in fact turn the main output to -∞ for this, and turn the FX return to zero. Set the mic channel's gain to around halfway and turn the compressor off. No pad or high pass. Talk into the mic, with it around 6 inches from your mouth, talking into the circular face (so the XLR connector is pointing towards your face). Listen through the headphone output (preferably using wired headphone with no volume control) with it set around halfway.

Bring up the level of the mic channel slowly until you get a good volume in the headphones. If the 'peak' light starts to light up then reduce the gain and compensate with channel level. Aim to get the channel level around the 0dB mark (where the little triangle is on the marks around the knob)

If you are unable to get a good level with the microphone through the headphones, but you can when using an MP3 player or laptop as source, try a different input channel, it may be damaged or not working properly.

If that doesn't work, then it's likely the microphone is damaged.

If you can get a good level in the headphones then we can move onto the computer input.

Unplug your speakers from the mixer. Without plugging the mixer into the computer yet, just bring up the stereo level while speaking into the mic as before. You should start to see the VU meter above the stereo level knob start to light up, if it hits the 'peak' level then back it off, and if it's peaking on the channel then reduce the channel gain. Aim for the stereo level to be around the 0dB mark like the channel.

Connect the USB cable between mixer and the computer. In windows's "Recording Devices" make sure that the mixer both appears and disappears when plugged in and unplugged. Set it as the default device by right clicking on the mixer device. in properties for the mixer, set the level to 100% and disable any enhancements. Set the format to a stereo 16 bit 48kHz (alternatively 44.1kHz is fine). When you talk into the mic you should see the VU meter next to the device name start to move like the one on the mixer itself.

Open a basic recording software such as audacity. set the capture device to be the input from the mixer and record a short clip of yourself talking. When you play back the file, using the onboard outputs, you should be able to hear yourself clearly and at a good volume. If you need to increase the level, do so on the mixer with the channel gain initially, then the channel level and the master level last.

• 3 months later...

Ok so I have this exact mixer and I've figured out a work around.  Seems like this isn't the only mixer with this problem.  So the reason why it is so quiet is because of windows viewing it as KS vs MME.  

The Fix:  Download "Banana Voice Meter" (there is other software that works but this is what I used).  Set the input as MME: Line (MG-XU) then set your output and VOILA it works.  

2 hours ago, ineedaname said:

Ok so I have this exact mixer and I've figured out a work around.  Seems like this isn't the only mixer with this problem.  So the reason why it is so quiet is because of windows viewing it as KS vs MME.  

The Fix:  Download "Banana Voice Meter" (there is other software that works but this is what I used).  Set the input as MME: Line (MG-XU) then set your output and VOILA it works.  

Well first off, what is KS? and second, how can I force windows to use MME without a third party software? I was able to fix my mic with a Mic-activator by Cloud because even on my mixer's meter my mic was reading a little low. But will using a third party software mess with Yamaha's audio driver?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to boost my mixer board WITHOUT using a third party software?

• 4 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 2:43 AM, _Grid21 said:

Is there a way to boost my mixer board WITHOUT using a third party software?

LOL all this confusion when when dude has all his knobs on the right turned down... I have a mg10xu with no problems. Try bumping your "level Stereo" in red on the right bottom up to about 8-9 and before playing anything with your gain and ch lvls that high... turn them down as your red LEVEL STEREO will clip it if youre not careful.

oh and your 3rd channel is pretty much muted cause you dont have any gain or level..

On 11/8/2018 at 9:08 PM, ZomPaul said:

LOL all this confusion when when dude has all his knobs on the right turned down... I have a mg10xu with no problems. Try bumping your "level Stereo" in red on the right bottom up to about 8-9 and before playing anything with your gain and ch lvls that high... turn them down as your red LEVEL STEREO will clip it if youre not careful.

oh and your 3rd channel is pretty much muted cause you dont have any gain or level..

I actually ended up plugging my mixer into my Computers Line-In port after talking to EposVox about this same issue and it basically fixed everything.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share anyway. I have this mixer as well. Maybe you already tried this but looking at the picture the volume on your 9/10 input which is your usb input is almost all the way down. This volume needs to be turned up.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, bjorn1931 said:

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share anyway. I have this mixer as well. Maybe you already tried this but looking at the picture the volume on your 9/10 input which is your usb input is almost all the way down. This volume needs to be turned up.

I ttied turning it up and no effect. But that channel is not designed for that. It's designed for computer volume, i.e. sending let's say music, into the mixer. 

• 2 weeks later...

This worked for me too!! Good looking out! Not sure why the volume on Line 9/10 controls the Audio signal into Windows 10 and the Audio out to headphones, but it does.

14 minutes ago, dharris19 said:

This worked for me too!! Good looking out! Not sure why the volume on Line 9/10 controls the Audio signal into Windows 10 and the Audio out to headphones, but it does.

Wait wait, are you telling me that some how adjusting the volume on channels 9/10 makes your microphone louder in windows over UBS? That's not how it worked for me. Can you please confirm this? 

I am also experiencing similar issues! I am using a Macbook Pro (OS X 10.11.6) with the Yamaha MG10XU and the Shure SM58 mic. I am trying to record a podcast using Audacity, but the waveform is so small. It is not reaching the 0.5 mark. I am using the USB 2.0 cord to connect it to my mac. Also, when i play it back, I'm not hearing anything through the headphones.  I've attached photos for reference.

IMG_5303.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

4 hours ago, DOutram said:

I am also experiencing similar issues! I am using a Macbook Pro (OS X 10.11.6) with the Yamaha MG10XU and the Shure SM58 mic. I am trying to record a podcast using Audacity, but the waveform is so small. It is not reaching the 0.5 mark. I am using the USB 2.0 cord to connect it to my mac. Also, when i play it back, I'm not hearing anything through the headphones.  I've attached photos for reference.

This is what I finally did, I got a quarter inch to 8th inch cable and ran out of the Stereo out to the Line-in on my motherboard of my PC. You should be able to do the same on your Mac. That USB dial does NOTHING to boost the volume. It's designed to change the volume of music you'd be playing through the board from your Computer. Example, playing iTunes and sending the music to the mixer.

This might be of aid to the opposite problem more than this, but have  you people noticed that there is also a separate USB level control attached to the fx control knob? Press the fx knob down five times and then you can the level between -24 and 0. I'm not sure when exactly one should use this (compared to source control and the USB in knob), but you might wanna give it a shot.

2 minutes ago, JoonasD6 said:

This might be of aid to the opposite problem more than this, but have  you people noticed that there is also a separate USB level control attached to the fx control knob? Press the fx knob down five times and then you can the level between -24 and 0. I'm not sure when exactly one should use this (compared to source control and the USB in knob), but you might wanna give it a shot.

I am gonna stop you there and say that the USB channel is NOT designed for what people seem to think it is. It's designed for taking a USB signal in from the PC if your playing music and being able to hear it in your music to play back out through the stereo out. Like Yes the USB is a in and out, but not in the way you think it should work.