64 Core server mining Cryptonote at pathetic speeds. Very confused.

Go to solution Solved by suchamoneypit,
On 3/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, RAM555789 said:

There's a reason people mine with GPUs or asic's, there just way better at it.

Just a note, RAM fixed the problem. I was running on a single stick, and and now running on 16 sticks (each CPU has its own set of 4 sticks of RAM). 

CPUs : $400 and mine at 2100 H/s and pulling ~700W

GPUs : $750 ( 7 cards) and mine at 1500 H/s and pulling ~760W

So we see here not only are CPUs good at mining, they outperform an efficent GPU setup (750tis and 760s for cryptonight). It's all about the coin you're mining. 

I have a system with x4 6380 Opteron processors, 16 cores each. I have two issues, one is they mine a combined 80H/S, when a combined group of independant sources said 400-650H/s per chip. I also know CPU cache is important, and I have 3MB L1, 64MB L2, and 48MB L3 cache.

Also, When mining at 80H/s, I only use exactly 32 of my cores, with 64 logical processors. I'm guessing this has something to do with a AMD-type hyperthreading.

I've tried on multiple pools, and mining Monero using minergate, and tried mining Electronuem using ccminer, and got the same hasrate.

Do I have to manually edit settings user something like XMR stak (my preferred, it just wasn't set up yet) where I have to configure my threads manually? I read like 2MB per thread.

First person to lead me to solving my problem will get a 50 ETN gift :)

I have now tried:

-Manually configuring XMR stack - doesnt work 80H/s

-trying xmrig, which set up 48 threads - doesnt work 70H/s

-ubuntu with minergate, ubunute, with XMR-stak -  doesn't work, 80H/s

-Cinebench runs and scores 2200, showing my CPUs clearly perform.

- tried using x4 6134 8 core opteron processors, which although aren't as powerful, performed just as spectacularly bad

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I had the same problem. I have ryzen 7 at 8 c 16t , and at first i set 16 miner threads and got 180 hashes, then i did 8 threads and got 300.  Try mining electroneum using the official miner on the electroneum site, that worked for me. You have to manually set the thread amount, try 64, then 32 and see how much hashes/s you get. Hope it helps

It is the beginner pool miner on here:

https://downloads.electroneum.com

keep 2mb of cache per core, so if you have 16 cores/32 threads, you can only mine on 15 of those theoretical cores, meaning with a dual socket board you are effectively using 30 out of 64 cores depending on cpu cash and core performance. this is something you'll have to test to get best results.

either start maxed out and keep reducing the amount of cores you are using to mine by 1-2 at a time until you start noticing speeds change, or start with 1-2 cores and move up. either way it takes some time. and no the cache is not something you have to setup, it is something that is a guideline to go with in setting up how many cores you are mining on.

44 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

That is completely false.

Do your research man. There is a plethora of Cryptomining coins. Bitcoin is not the only coin and the others (which are still hugely popular and used a lot...)are very different and all have unique properties. When I get these CPUs mining properly, they will match the mining efficiency of GPUs, even including the cost of the entire system minus the extra RAM I now need to buy. If I just counted the cost of the CPUs themselves, it would put GPUs to shame.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Tons of talking with other miners and it seems it may be because I only am running a single stick of RAM. Although the system boots and runs cinebench fine, the board could have issues if I don't have at least 4 sticks of RAM per CPU. I've tried every miner in the book and every solution and manual configuration, the RAM could be an issue, and right now after hours of research and discussion it seems to be the only possibility.

8 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Tons of talking with other miners and it seems it may be because I only am running a single stick of RAM. Although the system boots and runs cinebench fine, the board could have issues if I don't have at least 4 sticks of RAM per CPU. I've tried every miner in the book and every solution and manual configuration, the RAM could be an issue, and right now after hours of research and discussion it seems to be the only possibility.

That seems like the reason. I had 16gb for 8 threads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 10:32 PM, suchamoneypit said:

I'd recommend disabling SMT.  With my 1950x, I generally get extremely low hash rates in Monero when mining with SMT enabled.   Turn it off and it basically doubles.  

As for the RAM requirement, I can tell you for sure that the difference in hash rate between 2 and 4 sticks was negligible.  At one point, I borrowed 2 of the 4 sticks of RAM from my x399/1950x rig to use with another rig and hash rates didn't change much at all.  It's back to running with 4 stick in quad channel, but I do not believe it needs it.  This is not to say that it isn't impacting your setup though. 

image.png.51e68afe35dada10ea6630dde0847246.png

On 3/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, RAM555789 said:

Just a note, RAM fixed the problem. I was running on a single stick, and and now running on 16 sticks (each CPU has its own set of 4 sticks of RAM). 

CPUs : $400 and mine at 2100 H/s and pulling ~700W

GPUs : $750 ( 7 cards) and mine at 1500 H/s and pulling ~760W

So we see here not only are CPUs good at mining, they outperform an efficent GPU setup (750tis and 760s for cryptonight). It's all about the coin you're mining.