Trying to decide between 3 antivirus program...

This is for my Dads PC.  We need a new antivirus soon (we have Kaspersky now, but want to switch to something else), so I’m thinking about going with either Avast, Trend Micro, or Eset.

I watched a video where a guy had picked up a used Dell laptop that had Windows Vista, with the last service packs installed, and he said he was using Avast to get on the internet.  He didn’t say which version-I know that there’s a free version, but I don’t know how good it is.  The local company that I work for uses Trend Micro, and their Windows 10 PCs run really fast, I can’t even tell that there is an antivirus program installed.  They also use Adblock and Windows Firewall.  (They have 7th gen core i5s.). I was thinking about Eset because it gets great customer reviews on Micro Center’s website.

Just stick with Windows Defender, these other virus software packages suck

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Been using Windows Defender from the time it was labelled as "Microsoft Security Essentials". Never had any issues. Just ensure the external storage devices plugged in are always from trusted sources. Antivirus / Internet security software utilities seem to be more of a luxury than a necessity now.

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

2 hours ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

Been using Windows Defender from the time it was labelled as "Microsoft Security Essentials". Never had any issues. Just ensure the external storage devices plugged in are always from trusted sources. Antivirus / Internet security software utilities seem to be more of a luxury than a necessity now.

I don't know; I've read that Windows Defender does next to nothing.  I'm NOT accusing you, or anyone else in this thread of lying, it's just what I personally have come to believe from my own research.  The only devices we have plugged into USB ports are the printer and a mouse; that's it.  

11 hours ago, dave4shmups said:

I don't know; I've read that Windows Defender does next to nothing.  I'm NOT accusing you, or anyone else in this thread of lying, it's just what I personally have come to believe from my own research.  The only devices we have plugged into USB ports are the printer and a mouse; that's it.  

I can totally understand how you feel about Windows Defender. The seemingly "doing nothing" thing has worked for me is all I'm saying. I do download random files from the internet sometimes, but I haven't had a virus attack until this point. So maybe doing nothing is all that is needed!

Anyway, if you feel you'll rest easy with an antivirus solution, I'd suggest trying out Symantec Endpoint Protection (might be a bit expensive because.. "enterprise"). I was using this with Windows 8.1 and had a fairly busy computer with multiple instances of MATLAB running simulations that loaded both the CPU and memory above 70% all the time. I had no drops in performance because of the antivirus and was quite happy with it. I had to resort to Windows Defender because my University switched to a McAfee license and somehow automatic updates were disabled and I was too cool to do manual updates daily. If not, I'd have probably still continued with Symantec Endpoint.

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

I use Defender. I had a bitcoin mining virus once when they first started becoming known that it didn’t pick up but I haven’t had any other problems. I used Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and that’s been working great.

Windoze 10 is reasonably secure because of how it runs its apps. All your data is still being sent to a server, it’s just that you paid M$ for the privilege 

That's an F in the profile pic

I got BitDefender paid from Black Friday sale. I've been using free version before that for maybe 2 years. Switched from Avast. I wouldn't go back to Avast. Back when I last used it was slow and annoying. BitDefender has had issues in past with some installers and stuff like Steam. But just the free version, with paid no issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for all the advice!  Honestly, the most dangerous websites I’ve ever been on on this PC are sites where you can download video game roms.  I only use emulation right now to try out games for my NES-once I’ve formed an opinion on the game, I delete the rom.  I plan on emulating a British computer, the ZX Spectrum, on my MacBook.  I don’t know how dangerous these sites are or aren’t. My Dads PC hasn’t been slowed down by the NES emulation at all.

What worries me about installing Malwarebytes is this:  

I have decided on an antivirus program, but I'm still wondering if Malwarebytes is even safe to use-because if it is, I'd like to use it on my MacBook Pro.