Help upgrade server SAS

My server is The ProLiant ML350p Gen8, and i need more space. I have only two disks of 450Gb, I need more space, and if possivel insert a ssd for more speed. Can I Insert a Sata HD like ssd enterpsise (Samsung 480GB Enterprise 2.5 SSD SATA III), or I can only insert sas disks. What is the better disks (two in raid). The maximum ammount of money that i can spent is 900$(in USA).

Sory for my english.

pretty sure all proliants can accept a SATA disk in all SAS slots.

And this disk Samsung 512GB 850 Pro 2.5 SATA III??? The information is important, so this disk is not recomended to run 24h/7days.

1 hour ago, Jay Deah said:

whilst those disks will fit and work they are not reccomended for server workloads. 

plus youll need a drive caddy off a good drive to fit it.

here are all the officially supported drives:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04128239.pdf

shows you all the different sizes, speeds etc.

but these Samsung 480GB Enterprise 2.5 SSD SATA III are reccomended for server workloads correct

11 minutes ago, Nelson Pereira said:

but these Samsung 480GB Enterprise 2.5 SSD SATA III are reccomended for server workloads correct

@Jay Deah was referring to the Samsung 512GB 850 Pro as not being recommended, what's the exact model of that Samsung enterprise one btw?

To answer your question SAS controllers support both SAS and SATA devices, this is true for all of them. The SAS standard itself is cross compatible with SATA. However there are compatibility requirements you need to be aware of:

• You cannot have SAS and SATA disks in the same array, they can be plugged in to the same controller but you must create different arrays
  • Not all SATA devices are firmware optimized for RAID controllers and for use in disk arrays, Samsung 850 Pro are not.
  • SATA devices are single path so you need to be careful what HDD bays you put them in depending on internal cabling to the backplane and SAS controller in use, it may end up not showing up at all and be equivalent to not being plugged in at all.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

@Jay Deah was referring to the Samsung 512GB 850 Pro as not being recommended, what's the exact model of that Samsung enterprise one btw?

To answer your question SAS controllers support both SAS and SATA devices, this is true for all of them. The SAS standard itself is cross compatible with SATA. However there are compatibility requirements you need to be aware of:

• You cannot have SAS and SATA disks in the same array, they can be plugged in to the same controller but you must create different arrays
  • Not all SATA devices are firmware optimized for RAID controllers and for use in disk arrays, Samsung 850 Pro are not.
  • SATA devices are single path so you need to be careful what HDD bays you put them in depending on internal cabling to the backplane and SAS controller in use, it may end up not showing up at all and be equivalent to not being plugged in at all.

I have itention of buying two Samsung 480GB Enterprise 2.5 SSD SATA III- MZ7LM480HMHQ (480gb in raid 1) more the two sas disks that i already have.

IIRC, using an 'unsupported' storage drive in a Proliant G series server will result in the fans running at full speed.  Something about not receiving a proper temperature output from the SAS interface on the drive.

13 hours ago, Nelson Pereira said:

I have itention of buying two Samsung 480GB Enterprise 2.5 SSD SATA III- MZ7LM480HMHQ (480gb in raid 1) more the two sas disks that i already have.

Yea those will be fine, very good SSDs in fact and OEM for many server parts including HPE.