Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

 

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

 

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Recommended Posts

At that point probably better off just getting a whole rebuilt head that's ready to bolt on and taking it down as a checked bag haha. If the lifters are WORN OUT then the valves, valve guides, and valve seats are likely shot too. Probably poor air filtration and lots of dirt making it inside the engine. Check compression wet and dry to see if the thing even hits minimum spec anymore, might not even be worth the effort!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

At that point probably better off just getting a whole rebuilt head that's ready to bolt on and taking it down as a checked bag haha. If the lifters are WORN OUT then the valves, valve guides, and valve seats are likely shot too. Probably poor air filtration and lots of dirt making it inside the engine. Check compression wet and dry to see if the thing even hits minimum spec anymore, might not even be worth the effort!

I agree. Strange that it happened so fast if it’s a 2017... but I guess cars live a hard life there. 


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any experienced, legal, racy boi drivers who get really frustrated talking to normal people about car control, watdo, how to do it better?

i think about all the depths of humanity, fathoming life as we know it, ways people can comprehend, and i'm usually in awe of others, but when it comes to car control i get extremely angry at people for being so short-minded and innaccurate with their assumptions about how things actually work, its extremely painful, and i don't like being a sore-sport, wish i could just explain things better without i suppose (likely) sounding condescending, people have no interest in listening if you come across that way, even if all you are telling them is 1+1=2

i have no issue with this IRL because i can give a ride to somebody and explain my points easily, they can tell im not talking BS.  But online i just finding people who think im being mean to them, rather then actually explaining how say weight transfer, or coefficient of grip works across various surfaces.  Its painful because i was (maybe still am) the most approuchable, likeable, teacher irl, but online i apparently come across like some sort of giga-asshole 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Are there any experienced, legal, racy boi drivers who get really frustrated talking to normal people about car control, watdo, how to do it better?

i think about all the depths of humanity, fathoming life as we know it, ways people can comprehend, and i'm usually in awe of others, but when it comes to car control i get extremely angry at people for being so short-minded and innaccurate with their assumptions about how things actually work, its extremely painful, and i don't like being a sore-sport, wish i could just explain things better without i suppose (likely) sounding condescending, people have no interest in listening if you come across that way, even if all you are telling them is 1+1=2

i have no issue with this IRL because i can give a ride to somebody and explain my points easily, they can tell im not talking BS.  But online i just finding people who think im being mean to them, rather then actually explaining how say weight transfer, or coefficient of grip works across various surfaces.  Its painful because i was (maybe still am) the most approuchable, likeable, teacher irl, but online i apparently come across like some sort of giga-asshole 

Do you have any sort of relatable experience of racing (competitive national/international level gokart/openwheel/gt/rally racing) ? If not, you cannot really back up your asshole manners.

 

Also

 

Quote

weight transfer

does not exist. We say load transfer as weight stay on the same place on the machine but the forces/loads are actually shifting :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tankyx said:

Do you have any sort of relatable experience of racing (competitive national/international level gokart/openwheel/gt/rally racing) ? If not, you cannot really back up your asshole manners

they weren't asshole manners irl, the complete opposite if anything, more like scared nice introvert, but i suppose online somehow goes opposite direction, unintentionally, absolutely.  Was more friends with actual test drivering instructors, won't but would if need be happy to put linkedin pages, and multiple NASA/SCCA racers irl, but no, that does not translate to a certifiable anything anywhere online, likewise i'd rather it doesn't matter if i sucked or was great, just that i could help people drive better without sounding like a jerk online, dono why. 

Won't name names but decent buddy with guy who trained all the current (redacted) *American car company* test drivers for nürburgring, same guy was involved with Dave Mathews band at one time oddly enough (only giving that for people who may know, won't easily be searchable), but really it doesn't matter.  I could start rattling off SCCA or NASA drivers but won't either. Just wish i could help people without seeming like a jerk.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

they weren't asshole manners irl, the complete opposite if anything, more like scared nice introvert, but i suppose online somehow goes opposite direction, unintentionally, absolutely.  Was more friends with actual test drivering instructors, won't but would if need be happy to put linkedin pages, and multiple NASA/SCCA racers irl, but no, that does not translate to a certifiable anything anywhere online, likewise i'd rather it doesn't matter if i sucked or was great, just that i could help people drive better without sounding like a jerk online, dono why. 

Won't name names but decent buddy with guy who trained all the current (redacted) *American car company* test drivers for nürburgring, same guy was involved with Dave Mathews band at one time oddly enough (only giving that for people who may know, won't easily be searchable), but really it doesn't matter.  I could start rattling off SCCA or NASA drivers but won't either. Just wish i could help people without seeming like a jerk.   

The thing is, from what I read, you talk about you have friends that are racing drivers or driver instructors, but you are not. You don't seem to have any proper experience besides listening to other people (correct me if I am wrong), and so you don't have what is needed to teach anybody.

Unless you are yourself a racing driver, or you studied to be an instructor, you shouldn't be trying to teach anyone as you don't have the legit authority on the people you try to teach, and you will look like a jerk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tankyx said:

The thing is, from what I read, you talk about you have friends that are racing drivers or driver instructors, but you are not. You don't seem to have any proper experience besides listening to other people (correct me if I am wrong), and so you don't have what is needed to teach anybody.

Unless you are yourself a racing driver, or you studied to be an instructor, you shouldn't be trying to teach anyone as you don't have the legit authority on the people you try to teach, and you will look like a jerk.

not on the money, but fair enough. 🤷‍♂️

i was friends with all these people because they picked me out as the poor, very poor, young person who was driving like somebody they admired.  Not well enough to rival wealthy kids who grew up with dads whose fathers grew their kids up to become racers, but i suppose more interesting because that wasn't the case.  I'f i wouldn't of failed at becoming a engineer then i'd easily(calculus equations are written shitty imo, i wouldn't* back down on that) have a job in the field rn, its easy to do so where i live. 

none of that is the point though. i have no interest in you requiring credentials to know if i make a statement it is true, what i prefer is if its obvious, you realize something you didn't know you knew, even if you did.  my issue combativeness, its a good way to train a close friend but not a average, let alone random person. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

not on the money, but fair enough. 🤷‍♂️

i was friends with all these people because they picked me out as the poor, very poor, young person who was driving like somebody they admired.  Not well enough to rival wealthy kids who grew up with dads whose fathers grew their kids up to become racers, but i suppose more interesting because that wasn't the case.  I'f i wouldn't of failed at becoming a engineer then i'd easily(calculus equations are written shitty imo, i wouldn't* back down on that) have a job in the field rn, its easy to do so where i live. 

none of that is the point though. i have no interest in you requiring credentials to know if i make a statement it is true, what i prefer is if its obvious, you realize something you didn't know you knew, even if you did.  my issue combativeness, its a good way to train a close friend but not a average, let alone random person. 

I don't know if it is me, but I don't understand a single point you are trying to make

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tankyx said:

Unless you are yourself a racing driver, or you studied to be an instructor, you shouldn't be trying to teach anyone as you don't have the legit authority on the people you try to teach, and you will look like a jerk.

It shouldn't matter if someone is "certified" if they are saying the same thing as the certified person. That doesn't change the information. That looks to be what the complaint is.

5 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

none of that is the point though. i have no interest in you requiring credentials to know if i make a statement it is true, what i prefer is if its obvious, you realize something you didn't know you knew, even if you did.  my issue combativeness, its a good way to train a close friend but not a average, let alone random person.

The reason you won't affect change in anyone that A.) doesn't know you, B.) doesn't trust you, and C.) doesn't have proof of your ability to execute what you are saying, is because nobody trusts anything these days without proof. That proof usually comes from the fact that the individual is living what they say. And you will always have people that ask 'how', but still not believe what the person says. And nobody wants to run with information that is not true, might not be true, or can't be proven immediately right then and there. And once you start trying to discuss concepts and theories and applications beyond someone's understanding, usually, they shut down and just assume you are withholding secrets and using 'industry lingo' or 'advanced concepts' to prove you are smarter than them.

 

9 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Are there any experienced, legal, racy boi drivers who get really frustrated talking to normal people about car control, watdo, how to do it better?

This applies to anyone who has experience in any field. Lots of people just want confirmation they are right, not to learn what is correct. Regardless if the person is "certified" or not, unless the person is already looking to learn what you are trying to teach, they won't be receptive of it, and will automatically assume you are asserting superiority. If you really want to teach, and for others to take you seriously, you will have to put yourself in a position where someone will be inclined to have faith in what you say.


Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I can actually take some knowledge I’ve learned from my job and apply it in this situation... @Otto_iii

 

It’s hard to prove what you know to be correct in your mind when you have no evidence to show the other party that you “know your stuff”.

 

Its also easy to come off as rude when you speak that way. It comes off as if you are better than them. Even if that isn’t your intention, (and trust me I’ve been in your shoes before, and that was never my intention when I was like that) if you put yourself in their shoes in that situation you begin to realize “oh wow... it’s easy to misinterpret myself as rude” 

 

In my job ive learned, You should try to think about how the other person will feel about what you are saying, get to their level FIRST, then talk about your topic from their point of view. Maybe get to know them, tell them what you’re interested in, maybe start with a simple question like “have you ever done x when driving?” . (You want to find their level of knowledge on your subject). 

 

Then once you you are there, then stay on their level. Bring up more advanced topics with questions like “have you ever considered?” Do not jump straight to something over their head.

 

if they are way below you, then they are just flat out “incompatible” with the idea you are trying to tell them. You’ll have to get this person to gain interest in your subject and inspire them to do research on their own and grow themselves. That takes time. And they may not want to — some people just flat out aren’t interested and don’t appreciate car physics and that’s — well, fine. But hey, once you got this far you’ve successfully built a positive relationship here and that person has no reason to resent your ideas. That’s your goal here.

 

Theres just a /better/ way to approach people and I find you can connect with people a lot easier and people will be more willing to value and befriend you.

 

i use this methodology as I work in a small IT dept, and I sometimes am going up to people regarding their help desk tickets. Sometimes people send in stupid stuff (like not knowing to use the start menu to search for something, or not knowing how to email something. It can be the stupidest thing!) ... but I know it’s just because they don’t understand something. So I try to get on their level and make it a teachable moment for them. A lot more effective than just saying not to do something or do something a certain way (in which they don’t listen and we get more tickets) 

 

So far it’s proven very successful. Though it’s made me busier, everyone likes me so much at work they call me lol. Not a bad thing though, It’s helped me enjoy helping people more too! And management loves me for it because they’ve never had someone like that. 

 

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized how important relationships are. You never know who you are going to meet in the future and also, you never know what other people are capable of. Plus, building solid, positive relationships are what a lot of people in high places do. Takes some work, especially if you’re a bit introverted like me. But it pays dividends.


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 1:49 AM, MadyTehWolfie said:

Why do idiots on youtube keep insisting that swapping the torque converter, rear axles, slicks, port and polishing cylinder heads, aggressive weight stripping, C85, near gear ratios are just "bolt ons". Is it just me or did something change were bolt ons no longer mean basic things like intake, exhaust, and a tune. Slicks maybe, but all that other stuff together idk. Basically the car they used for their "full bolt" on example had everything done that was possible to do short of rebuilding the engine. How that is just "bolt ons" someone enlighten me. 

All bolts on. Issa bolt on


CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to work on cars but have little experience doing it, I have multiple years of experience doing work on everything from plumbing and electric all the way to simple wood working. With that being said, is it a good idea to take on a  head gasket change if i have a second car to provide me with some time to fix it. I haven't figured out if its the head gasket for sure as its a 25 year old truck that i need to wipe down before i can for sure find a blown anything or a leak anywhere. I have alot of tools but nothing close to a setup that lets me take my engine outta the car or lift it above my head so those are outta the picture.

 

TL;DR I am VERY handy with tools and have lots of experience breaking/fixing stuff outside of auto repair. Is a head gasket replacement something that is actually doable or should i look for a reliable mechanic in my area?

 

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum (5.9L i think)

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

All bolts on. Issa bolt on

Don’t consider opening the engine “bolt on”. By that logic power adders like a turbo or supercharger are a “bolt on”.


CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diago326 said:

I like to work on cars but have little experience doing it, I have multiple years of experience doing work on everything from plumbing and electric all the way to simple wood working. With that being said, is it a good idea to take on a  head gasket change if i have a second car to provide me with some time to fix it. I haven't figured out if its the head gasket for sure as its a 25 year old truck that i need to wipe down before i can for sure find a blown anything or a leak anywhere. I have alot of tools but nothing close to a setup that lets me take my engine outta the car or lift it above my head so those are outta the picture.

 

TL;DR I am VERY handy with tools and have lots of experience breaking/fixing stuff outside of auto repair. Is a head gasket replacement something that is actually doable or should i look for a reliable mechanic in my area?

 

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum (5.9L i think)

If you have a torque wrench, yeah, you can tackle a head gasket repair.


Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Diago326 said:

I like to work on cars but have little experience doing it, I have multiple years of experience doing work on everything from plumbing and electric all the way to simple wood working. With that being said, is it a good idea to take on a  head gasket change if i have a second car to provide me with some time to fix it. I haven't figured out if its the head gasket for sure as its a 25 year old truck that i need to wipe down before i can for sure find a blown anything or a leak anywhere. I have alot of tools but nothing close to a setup that lets me take my engine outta the car or lift it above my head so those are outta the picture.

 

TL;DR I am VERY handy with tools and have lots of experience breaking/fixing stuff outside of auto repair. Is a head gasket replacement something that is actually doable or should i look for a reliable mechanic in my area?

 

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum (5.9L i think)

 

As long as the engine is reachable, an head gasket replacement shouldn't be too hard. If you have clearance to remove the head without having to take the engine out, it's doable. Tho, on your case, I don't think this applies, unless the engine isn't shoved too far back into the engine bay. Do your research if you haven't, obviously. And even if it isn't the head gasket, it doesn't hurt to replace it if it still is the one that came from the factory. Good luck ^^


"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

As long as the engine is reachable

as long as its not a subaru or a porsche it should be fine 😂


Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

as long as its not a subaru or a porsche it should be fine 😂

Got nothing on an i3


Needs money for car parts :P

 

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

 

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

 

  • Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, Otto_iii said:

(Calculus equations are written shitty IMO, I wouldn't* back down on that.)

Woah woah woah woah WOAH woah WOAH.

Calculus is written shitty?

Buddy, you can't just say something like that about continuous math and expect everyone to look the other way.


"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Don’t consider opening the engine “bolt on”. By that logic power adders like a turbo or supercharger are a “bolt on”.

Didn't require custom fabrication, bolts on


CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Didn't require custom fabrication, bolts on

Ok looks like your definition of a bolt on is vastly different then what most people would define it as. I’m going to end the conversation here with you. Next you’ll tell me rebuilding the engine is a bolt on. 😂


CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, floofer said:

Hi I have a question. What does this control do on my expansion tank? 

The two tubes go to the radiator pipes, one going in one going out.

 

thank you 

6895E0B0-3C46-4555-82C3-D0DC1499FD78.thumb.jpeg.1a07bf7cf55c82357047e7709789c0b9.jpeg

My guess would be pressure relief so you could safely fill it without having to wait for it to cool down, but it is also my understanding that the whole point of coolant reservoir is to allow it to be filled/checked without having to hassle with the coolant in the radiator (i.e. coolant under pressure). What is the year, make, and model?


Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×