Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

56 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Damn, the service on those really is quite involved! Is the chain and sprocket replacement just a factory service interval due to materials, or did you see wear?

I have a couple of smaller motorcycles, a Honda CB500F and a Grom, The Grom doesn’t have many miles on it yet but I did have to do my chain on the 500 at roughly 34k miles; The front and rear sprockets are steel and showed almost no appreciable wear though.

i always loved the Multistrada but I’m short AF with a 28” inseam, and there’s just no hope of me straddling something that tall in my daily commute. 

Chain and sprockets were original to the bike and were starting to show signs of age.  The sprockets didn't look too worn but I had two links in the chain that wanted to stay kinked when coming off the forward sprocket as you rolled the wheel around.  You could get them to pull straight if you worked them but it is just the first sign the o-rings had gone bad and it wasn't moving as free as it should have been.  It was just time so I don't have to deal with it in another month or two once the weather finally starts to warm up here in Ohio.

17 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Chain and sprockets were original to the bike and were starting to show signs of age.  The sprockets didn't look too worn but I had two links in the chain that wanted to stay kinked when coming off the forward sprocket as you rolled the wheel around.  You could get them to pull straight if you worked them but it is just the first sign the o-rings had gone bad and it wasn't moving as free as it should have been.  It was just time so I don't have to deal with it in another month or two once the weather finally starts to warm up here in Ohio.

I hear that on the time. Whenever I can get a few things out of the way at the same time I will, especially if I'm having to pull fairings off. A lot of jobs are really about 10 minutes, but taking all the cladding and seats off the motorcycle and re-installing it all is more than a half hour. The Grom is cake: Air filter, oil, spark plug, valve rocker adjuster covers, brake reservoirs (at least the front) are all right at the surface level. Then again, the Grom has to be convinced quite a bit to go 60mph, so with most roads around here being highways it'll be years before it needs more than very basic maintenance.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1