Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

57 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

to be fair, rear motor mounts on FWD cars always get hammered pretty hard lol

It hopped and banged so hard it set off stability control going in a straight line. 😅

Hopefully you don't get to feel your AC compressor engage with your skull like my corksport motormount. I ended up going with an e-focus motor mount

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Hopefully you don't get to feel your AC compressor engage with your skull like my corksport motormount. I ended up going with an e-focus motor mount

*Cries in polyurethane mounts and analog cycling ac clutch* 

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Not at all. Other than when it's cold and/or in reverse I barely feel it. The trans slips itself into neutral when stopped in D so a moment of mild vibration then nothing at all. A little vibration around 1500 rpm when setting off before it's fully warmed up. It's pretty mild, I think I can live with it. I'll see how it's feeling in like 1000 miles.

16 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

Celica man yeah I feel that. I only did the front inserts on it and that's enough.

34 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

Its like another gear shift

Had a customer with a nissan hardbody with some shitbox 4 cylinder in it. Mounts welded together, wanted to make a drift truck. That thing was unbearable.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Finally under its own weight. Just need to finalize alignment and fix some small fluid leaks

Screenshot_20240106-195419.png

Screenshot_20240106-195619.png

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

aight so it would theoretically work to fit an old ford windsor I have laying around into an old s2000 i saw an ad for on facebook with not too much cutting. Thoughts?

On 12/18/2023 at 9:26 PM, Bitter said:

Yeah, it's her car. She's short for her height so she doesn't like driving a short car on top of that. I'm not a SUV person at all which is why I bought a small sedan to replace my old medium sedan that was too big for me. My ideal car size is 2000 Celica and smaller, I LOVE the dimensions of a MR2 Spyder. I'd daily an Autozam AZ1 if I could! I love small cars. But not tall small cars like those terrible Smart ForTo.

Short for her height? So her height is in her legs and not her torso, meaning she's "smaller" sitting down?

12 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Short for her height? So her height is in her legs and not her torso, meaning she's "smaller" sitting down?

No her legs are short too. So's her torso. She's short all over but mostly on patience.

3 hours ago, OldFord76 said:

aight so it would theoretically work to fit an old ford windsor I have laying around into an old s2000 i saw an ad for on facebook with not too much cutting. Thoughts?

Look up the dimensions of both and decide

Big brain mode. Using acid in the ultrasonic to remove a plastic retainer from a rusted steel line to save a discontinued fuel line on a Hummer. Not a connector we have to steal a part from to rebuild it.

IMG_20240109_094506.jpg

How long does your 12v batteries last? 2 months ago my battery (Bought in November 2018) started to drain overnight, when I charged it at home it wouldnt hold charge either so I got it replaced. Today I went to start the car and replacement battery is dead too. Last time I checked for current consumption when car is cold and not turned on and parasitic draw came up to 30mA, which is low enough that I didnt think much of it. Seller told me that I might need to get my car programmed (VW 6R, its pretty much a Mk6.5 golf) for new battery but car never complained before.

Alternator charges it, I confirmed that.

Any ideas? Just two duds in a row?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 years is the shorter end of average, I'd re-check the parasitic draw just to be sure.

Bought my first EV a couple of weeks ago.

Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD. 

I had been looking for an EV for about 6 months and tested several cars.

I was first looking at Ford Mach-E, Audi Q4 and VW ID.4 but I was utterly bored of those cars. 

I'm sure they are good cars but after having owned several Audis and VWs, I wanted to buy something different. 

I liked the Ford Mach-E but I just thought the Tesla was better in most cases. 

There are a few quirks with the Tesla that isn't quite as good as they should be but overall I am very happy with the car.

And for the people that hates every car without an internal combustion engine, fear not...

I still have my old 964 that burns petrol like a MFer... 🙂 

(see inserted image)

image.thumb.jpeg.4cca729559be7f3fe433d0a60ba3eea6.jpeg

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

8 hours ago, Levent said:

How long does your 12v batteries last? 2 months ago my battery (Bought in November 2018) started to drain overnight, when I charged it at home it wouldnt hold charge either so I got it replaced. Today I went to start the car and replacement battery is dead too. Last time I checked for current consumption when car is cold and not turned on and parasitic draw came up to 30mA, which is low enough that I didnt think much of it. Seller told me that I might need to get my car programmed (VW 6R, its pretty much a Mk6.5 golf) for new battery but car never complained before.

30ma is likely within spec, depending on the size of the battery. That doesn't rule out a module "waking up" after an extended period and nuking the battery. But yeah, I've ran into off the shelf battery issues. My factory battery in my Passport went bad after 2 years. Barely started one morning, threw it on the charger at work and it failed the battery. 300 dollar AGM battery too.

4 hours ago, vetali said:

30ma is likely within spec, depending on the size of the battery. That doesn't rule out a module "waking up" after an extended period and nuking the battery. But yeah, I've ran into off the shelf battery issues. My factory battery in my Passport went bad after 2 years. Barely started one morning, threw it on the charger at work and it failed the battery. 300 dollar AGM battery too.

We had a DOA AGM in that Audi Q5 I did a starter on. It had a bad cell dropping to like 8.5 volts cranking but still started the car. Pretty impressive battery but it better be for how big it is and how much it cost.

14 hours ago, Levent said:

Here in Texas with my car parked out in the sun, if I get 3 years out of a battery I consider myself lucky. Also, most batteries are made with reclaimed components so my expectations are low, and I always buy the cheapest option because of those two reasons; I have gotten longer life out of more expensive batteries, but they were so much more expensive that the $ per month of service was way more.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 1/10/2024 at 1:14 PM, Bitter said:

We had a DOA AGM in that Audi Q5 I did a starter on. It had a bad cell dropping to like 8.5 volts cranking but still started the car. Pretty impressive battery but it better be for how big it is and how much it cost.

the battery in my touareg is like 15 inches long. I think it's the biggest size you can get lol

Thing is insanely heavy haha (and it's under the driver's seat so that's fun)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 1/10/2024 at 3:13 PM, atxcyclist said:

Here in Texas with my car parked out in the sun, if I get 3 years out of a battery I consider myself lucky. Also, most batteries are made with reclaimed components so my expectations are low, and I always buy the cheapest option because of those two reasons; I have gotten longer life out of more expensive batteries, but they were so much more expensive that the $ per month of service was way more.

it used to be you could get batteries and they would last about 7 years. Those days are long over though lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the battery in my touareg is like 15 inches long. I think it's the biggest size you can get lol

Thing is insanely heavy haha (and it's under the driver's seat so that's fun)

Hernia size.

The battery in my G8 was from like 2014, dash reported it was always at about 87% charge. was just a Autocraft AGM believe it was a platinum series? it was also a massive battery, 94R size. But the G8 had a pretty "smart" charging system that would monitor battery state and power demand, dropping down to 12.5v when the battery was "charged" and power demand was low, is battery was low it would crank the charge voltage all the way up to 15.4v... in 2022 when the car got totaled the battery was still strong.

And the battery in my Sonoma is about 6 years old. Costco/interstate and it sat discharged from 2019-2021 plus it's not in a "optimal" location
and it's still using the old "dumb" unmonitored single wire alternator that just pukes out 14v
IMG_20190328_184545.thumb.jpg.03fafdb6d37d39d956965201c42b66f5.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

On 1/10/2024 at 6:03 PM, vetali said:

You sir you might be on to something. I did something super dumb and disconnected BCM yesterday today I plugged it and checked the battery voltage and it was still 12.8v and car started right up. I am going to check if a relay is stuck or something, if not I guess then time has come to buy a VCDS myself. I am going to test tomorrow to see if car starts with BCM connected overnight.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 hours ago, Levent said:

You sir you might be on to something. I did something super dumb and disconnected BCM yesterday today I plugged it and checked the battery voltage and it was still 12.8v and car started right up. I am going to check if a relay is stuck or something, if not I guess then time has come to buy a VCDS myself. I am going to test tomorrow to see if car starts with BCM connected overnight.

If you have a meter with a min/max range feature you can do a draw test with the max range set. Relays are like .08A, modules being awake will be around .2-.3A. You can also look at your remaining battery voltage for a direction. If its about 9-10.5v its usually a module. They start shutting themselves down at around 10v. Relays will cook it to a much lower voltage.

Who's an idiot? I'm an idiot! I forgot to unplug my dash cam from the cig socket, the socket is live all the time direct to battery unlike my previous and other current car, so it ran all weekend and killed my battery so low it froze solid. I forgot to unplug it because I've been lazy and haven't installed the hardwire kit. I'm going to do that tomorrow on lunch, honest. Battery is currently in the bathroom on the counter in front of the heater with the 1.25a slow charger on it slowly coming back to life. I'm really considering sucking it up and ditching the flooded for AGM. Any compelling, besides cost, reasons not to?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Who's an idiot? I'm an idiot! I forgot to unplug my dash cam from the cig socket, the socket is live all the time direct to battery unlike my previous and other current car, so it ran all weekend and killed my battery so low it froze solid. I forgot to unplug it because I've been lazy and haven't installed the hardwire kit. I'm going to do that tomorrow on lunch, honest. Battery is currently in the bathroom on the counter in front of the heater with the 1.25a slow charger on it slowly coming back to life. I'm really considering sucking it up and ditching the flooded for AGM. Any compelling, besides cost, reasons not to?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooof

I haven't had any issues with AGM in both really hot and really cold climates.