Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

Yup had the one from yesterday crap out after like 5 miles today (random multiple cylinders misfire) 😂 got another after arguing with the people at AutoZone that this one was basically dead out of the box poor QC. Got home with the new one and saw a the cylinder 4 misfire count just keep going up. Swapped the 3/4 plugs and it went to cylinder 3 😐 the spark plug was bad i guess? They are only 2 weeks old  bought them before the 1st duralast coil. And they are the OE replacement ACdelco plugs 🤔 definitely a first for me having a plug cause a misfire that doesn't have obvious signs of damage.

iirc unless you are getting them from the dealer, the parts store AC delco parts are not OEM AC delco. Could also be people buying the plugs, swapping knock offs in and returning them. Honda had an issue where a dealer returned a bunch of counterfeit plugs and they got distributed all over. They'd last like 2000 miles then start misfiring.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

They're known for head gasket issues as well as the valve cover PCV and intake manifold check valve failing. Honestly 150K is the highest miles I've ever seen on one, usually they're junked when the turbo goes or the head gasket goes or the trans fails.

I've not seen much on head gaskets, other than people continuing to drive on a bad water pump or coolant neck then just like 😮 y my car overheat after I drove it overheating until it shut off 😂 PCV is simple I think the valve cover and gasket are like $50 and the manifold check valve well that one is an issue and the "PCV fix" is way over priced for some home depot fittings and check valves.

They are not great cars but they are cheap, decently reliable, easy to repair and parts are available everywhere. And literally everyone I know in the Holden and s10 groups has a 1st gen Cruze as a beater 😂

41 minutes ago, vetali said:

iirc unless you are getting them from the dealer, the parts store AC delco parts are not OEM AC delco. Could also be people buying the plugs, swapping knock offs in and returning them. Honda had an issue where a dealer returned a bunch of counterfeit plugs and they got distributed all over. They'd last like 2000 miles then start misfiring.

Huh could be that, I usually only run NGK G-power plugs but nowhere had anything in stock for the Cruze except the ACdelcos.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

After a month of waiting on parts, they finally arrived yesterday and got the Explorer partially thrown back together, should finish up either today or tomorrow hopefully 

Screenshot_20231230-085350.png

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 12/29/2023 at 9:32 PM, Bitter said:

Those things are pretty reliable actually. Most common issues I see are bad EGR valves setting the engine light or leaky lower intake gaskets because the coolant turned acidic and ate the aluminum on the intake and heads. Probably a good idea to take a really close look where the lower intake and heads meet together for any coolant leaking, if there is you need to fix it fast before it eats the metal up. If it's not leaking you should change the coolant so it doesn't eat the metal and make it leak.

Thanks, but that is already fixed, the leak started last year and got fixed pretty fast. Thanks for the idea tho.

13 minutes ago, Scrubs said:

Thanks, but that is already fixed, the leak started last year and got fixed pretty fast. Thanks for the idea tho.

Pretty much keep it fixed and they go a long time without problems, it's only when they get neglected they get unreliable. Not amazing on gas tho.

Front is under its own weight finally. Just waiting on new rear toe links and it'll be all done finally. Sitting about 5.75-6 inches taller between suspension and wheel and tire setup

Screenshot_20231230-215359.png

Screenshot_20231230-215412.png

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Front is under its own weight finally. Just waiting on new rear toe links and it'll be all done finally. Sitting about 5.75-6 inches taller between suspension and wheel and tire setup

-snips-

Gas mileage: 2

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Gas mileage: 2

I'm hoping for 4 

36 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm hoping for 4 

4 pedestrians ran over per mile?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Finally find a few minutes to get out in the garage and get the new speakers hung and wired up. Been using a small set of Creative bluetooth speakers for a long time.

garagespeakers1.jpg

So having a proper set of speakers and a real receiver in the garage is a nice upgrade.

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Finally find a few minutes to get out in the garage and get the new speakers hung and wired up. Been using a small set of Creative bluetooth speakers for a long time.

garagespeakers1.jpg

So having a proper set of speakers and a real receiver in the garage is a nice upgrade.

Mannnn I've love to copy of my record set up in the garage. (Technics SA-R177 and Sony SS-CS5)
But it's a fairly small garage and a Harman Kardon Invoke is more than enough to annoy my neighbors while working on cars.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

On 12/31/2023 at 12:37 AM, AlwaysFSX said:

image.gif.e726c51aa6d48c167b1cd58e82c3eb16.gif

What is this? Pawn stars? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Happy New Years 🙂

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

What is this? Pawn stars? 

I think we can make a deal

Starting 2024 right 👍 2016 Fiat 500x, engine light on, need to replace passenger mirror.

IMG_20240102_095708.jpg

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Starting 2024 right 👍 2016 Fiat 500x, engine light on, need to replace passenger mirror.

What in the mirror trips an engine light??

Those crazy Italians.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ambient air temp sensor? Rams put them in the mirror too but they are serviceable without replacing the mirror.

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Ambient air temp sensor? Rams put them in the mirror too but they are serviceable without replacing the mirror.

why does an ambient air temp sensor need to trigger a CEL? -_-

I could understand some fault in a module somewhere, but not a "HEY YOUR CAR NEEDS ATTENTION NOW" light

Spoiler

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

What in the mirror trips an engine light??

Those crazy Italians.

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Yep. Thank goodness she has a Carshield warranty because they are covering 0% of the repairs! On this model the sensor is not sold separately and the wires are bundled into the harness that goes into the door.

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I could understand some fault in a module somewhere, but not a "HEY YOUR CAR NEEDS ATTENTION NOW" light

So there's 3 temp sensors on the engine, IAT, ECT, and Oil temp. The ECM models temps based on starting temp and running conditions to check if those sensors are reading properly as the engine warms up. Rather than trusting that 2 of the 3 are at the correct cold starting temperature or 2 of the 3 are reading near enough to ambient at cold start Fiat decided to add a 4th sensor to the mix to get outside ambient air temp from the bottom of the mirror to model temps from cold start to verify those other 3 sensors are good. So now not only does the extra sensor fail and set an engine light but also it's not been monitoring the other 3 sensors properly during that period of time. I mean if 3 sensors can't be trusted lets add a 4th sensor, right guys?

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Often used as a failsafe to determine false readings on the IAT. Chrysler also famous for their battery temp sensors as well.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yep. Thank goodness she has a Carshield warranty because they are covering 0% of the repairs! On this model the sensor is not sold separately and the wires are bundled into the harness that goes into the door.

Carshield is the worst. We've blacklisted them because they took 6 months to pay us on an engine tear down they required before okaying a 400 dollar junkyard k24 engine replacement.

34 minutes ago, vetali said:

Often used as a failsafe to determine false readings on the IAT. Chrysler also famous for their battery temp sensors as well.

Carshield is the worst. We've blacklisted them because they took 6 months to pay us on an engine tear down they required before okaying a 400 dollar junkyard k24 engine replacement.

We have a couple others on the blacklist but not them, they simply haven't approved any claims ever so....shrug. Protect My Car tho, super black listed.

Broke my own rule. Modded the daily driver. Cocksport rear motor mount insert to control the drivetrain hammering wheel hop it has otherwise. 95% gone, anything I'm feeling now is either torque vectoring at play and/or control arm bushing compliance.

20240104_132620.jpg

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Broke my own rule. Modded the daily driver. Cocksport rear motor mount insert to control the drivetrain hammering wheel hop it has otherwise. 95% gone, anything I'm feeling now is either torque vectoring at play and/or control arm bushing compliance.

-snip-

to be fair, rear motor mounts on FWD cars always get hammered pretty hard lol

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

to be fair, rear motor mounts on FWD cars always get hammered pretty hard lol

It hopped and banged so hard it set off stability control going in a straight line. 😅