Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

well got a question here for those would drive the rx8  ... did you all encounter any issues starting the car after replacing the transmission ? (the gearbox specifically)just replaced mine and the car seems have starting issues all of a sudden ..the transmission being the sorta unpopular 4speed auto , this being the 2nd time it was replaced .. 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:10 PM, Computernaut said:

Any recommendations for engine code scanners? I'm looking to get one since I work with and around a fair number of older and/or more rundown vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

18 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Anyone know anyone who tried this one yet? It’s pretty new:

https://www.topdon.us/products/topscan

I know Topdon specializes in bang for the buck and their stuff can usually do more than you’d think 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Merry Christmas guys 🙂 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Whats up boys!

Checkin in. I found a computer addiction to redirect my car parts one.  Turns out, they're not that much cheaper.... 

91 240sx I've owned for a decade or 2. Many renditions, many motors. After a decade in storage, it is currently having the engine bay shaved and a GM LS6/T56 from a Corvette C5 Z06 going in. Many other things, including some preventative and not so much rust repair (damn pinch welds)

20231112_105334.jpg

20230816_180835.jpg

20231210_193113.jpg

Got a fun one. 21 civic 2.0 NA. Throws code P2138 APP sensor a/b incorrect correlation during a sharp acceleration. Replaced APP sensor, harness, and PCM. Fault still occurs. Spent hours looking at the snapshot of the data, before and after trigger event. No odd behavior other than APP B data PID goes haywire at WOT while power braking almost like a bad pin fit when the engine is torqued which is why I replaced the harness. Its also a body shop car involved in a minor front end collision, but the fault is unrelated to that.

Any guesses? I almost broke out the scope for this one, but discovered the real cause while programming the new PCM.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

5 hours ago, vetali said:

Got a fun one. 21 civic 2.0 NA. Throws code P2138 APP sensor a/b incorrect correlation during a sharp acceleration. Replaced APP sensor, harness, and PCM. Fault still occurs. Spent hours looking at the snapshot of the data, before and after trigger event. No odd behavior other than APP B data PID goes haywire at WOT while power braking almost like a bad pin fit when the engine is torqued which is why I replaced the harness. Its also a body shop car involved in a minor front end collision, but the fault is unrelated to that.

Any guesses? I almost broke out the scope for this one, but discovered the real cause while programming the new PCM

While programming? No idea

How about some built Toyota Tough? New guys car was throwing front bank intake vvt codes and front bank misfire as well as running terrible when cold but only sometimes, suspected that the 2 figure 8 gaskets between the valve cover and cam cap were flattened and leaking too much oil when cold. They were flat but also this.

20231227_140449.jpg

IMG_20231227_141128.jpg

That's the exhaust phaser. Drove it out like that. 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

While programming? No idea

How about some built Toyota Tough? New guys car was throwing front bank intake vvt codes and front bank misfire as well as running terrible when cold but only sometimes, suspected that the 2 figure 8 gaskets between the valve cover and cam cap were flattened and leaking too much oil when cold. They were flat but also this.

When I program things I turn off all electrical loads

Toyota 🤝 wearing stuff through timing covers

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 hour ago, vetali said:

When I program things I turn off all electrical loads

Toyota 🤝 wearing stuff through timing covers

It had a sound system or something back feeding noise?

Ha yeah. I guess these usually make a tapping noise but the broken exhaust probably masked the initial noise. I bet the car will keep running until it eats a hole through the valve cover and parts escape, but he's moving up plans to replace it. He does a lot of looking at stuff but not any buying yet, kid needs to get some tools already.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

It had a sound system or something back feeding noise?

Ha yeah. I guess these usually make a tapping noise but the broken exhaust probably masked the initial noise. I bet the car will keep running until it eats a hole through the valve cover and parts escape, but he's moving up plans to replace it. He does a lot of looking at stuff but not any buying yet, kid needs to get some tools already.

Spoiler

Bad AC compressor clutch coil. Turned off HVAC when programming the new PCM. Test drove it, didn't have any issues. Windows started fogging up so I turned on the HVAC, and it instantly failed. Narrowed it down to the coil side of the circuit, ruling out variable capacity solenoid and cooling fans. Swapped a new coil and it was fixed.

1 hour ago, vetali said:
  Hide contents

Bad AC compressor clutch coil. Turned off HVAC when programming the new PCM. Test drove it, didn't have any issues. Windows started fogging up so I turned on the HVAC, and it instantly failed. Narrowed it down to the coil side of the circuit, ruling out variable capacity solenoid and cooling fans. Swapped a new coil and it was fixed.

Nice find, we had an ac clutch stealing ground on a Buick ages ago, when the clutch came on the ignition module cut out. Found that the engine to frame ground was rotten, enough ground to do one or the other but not both.

I'm so sick of the coil pack on my girlfriend's Cruze 😂 had two OE crap out (original cracked), two from O'Reilly's and on the second one from AutoZone 😂 the last duralast coil lasted a WHOLE 12 days. The guy at the counter looked at us funny when we took it in to exchange 😂

If this one dies I'm just going to put some LS coil packs on it since I have 8 spare coils, 2 spare harnesses and two spare brackets in my garage, and can do the tuning myself for the new coil packs 😂

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Nice find, we had an ac clutch stealing ground on a Buick ages ago, when the clutch came on the ignition module cut out. Found that the engine to frame ground was rotten, enough ground to do one or the other but not both.

Yeah... I checked the grounds. Was a weird one for sure.

10 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

I'm so sick of the coil pack on my girlfriend's Cruze 😂 had two OE crap out (original cracked), two from O'Reilly's and on the second one from AutoZone 😂 the last duralast coil lasted a WHOLE 12 days. The guy at the counter looked at us funny when we took it in to exchange 😂

If this one dies I'm just going to put some LS coil packs on it since I have 8 spare coils, 2 spare harnesses and two spare brackets in my garage, and can do the tuning myself for the new coil packs 😂

The long coil pack that goes across the whole valve cover? Its a lottery on those lol.

44 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

Trust me, that whole thing will be but a bump in the road compared to what's coming for that poor car sooner than later. My advice would be to sell it for what you can get while it's still running and able to move under it's own power and buy something else.

35 minutes ago, vetali said:

I recall some cars have a diode in the circuit to suppress voltage spikes when the coil field collapses through the coil windings and apply and release. I wonder if the diode is just built into that coil and it had failed.

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I recall some cars have a diode in the circuit to suppress voltage spikes when the coil field collapses through the coil windings and apply and release. I wonder if the diode is just built into that coil and it had failed.

It doesn't show one on the diagram. I thought that too.

8 hours ago, vetali said:

It doesn't show one on the diagram. I thought that too.

Might be integrated and not shown. I see that on some relays.

Who remembers the pain in the ass customer with the Mercedes I was complaining about? Boss let them write a personal check and surprise surprise it bounced. Now their phone doesn't answer when we call. Shocking. I guess we'll be calling the police next week to file charges. Who could have seen this coming.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Who remembers the pain in the ass customer with the Mercedes I was complaining about? Boss let them write a personal check and surprise surprise it bounced. Now their phone doesn't answer when we call. Shocking. I guess we'll be calling the police next week to file charges. Who could have seen this coming.

I remember. Oh lord. 

Can't pay the bills but has an old mercedes LOL

Spoiler

Chrysler Town & Country Limited ( 4th gen Voyager). Has a 3.8L gasoline engine. 2003 production year, actually comfy to ride in for big trips. First car. Is worn out, end of its life but still runs. Gets about 11litres to 100km. Thats about it, no mods just the limited pack that came from factory.

Currently lives in Latvia. 

IMG_4061.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Scrubs said:

Chrysler Town & Country Limited ( 4th gen Voyager). Has a 3.8L gasoline engine. 2003 production year, actually comfy to ride in for big trips. First car. Is worn out, end of its life but still runs. Gets about 11litres to 100km. Thats about it, no mods just the limited pack that came from factory.

Currently lives in Latvia. 

Those things are pretty reliable actually. Most common issues I see are bad EGR valves setting the engine light or leaky lower intake gaskets because the coolant turned acidic and ate the aluminum on the intake and heads. Probably a good idea to take a really close look where the lower intake and heads meet together for any coolant leaking, if there is you need to fix it fast before it eats the metal up. If it's not leaking you should change the coolant so it doesn't eat the metal and make it leak.

16 hours ago, vetali said:

The long coil pack that goes across the whole valve cover? Its a lottery on those lol.

Yup had the one from yesterday crap out after like 5 miles today (random multiple cylinders misfire) 😂 got another after arguing with the people at AutoZone that this one was basically dead out of the box poor QC. Got home with the new one and saw a the cylinder 4 misfire count just keep going up. Swapped the 3/4 plugs and it went to cylinder 3 😐 the spark plug was bad i guess? They are only 2 weeks old  bought them before the 1st duralast coil. And they are the OE replacement ACdelco plugs 🤔 definitely a first for me having a plug cause a misfire that doesn't have obvious signs of damage.

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

Trust me, that whole thing will be but a bump in the road compared to what's coming for that poor car sooner than later. My advice would be to sell it for what you can get while it's still running and able to move under it's own power and buy something else.

🤷‍♂️ It's close to 150k just replaced the turbo. Over the last year I've done the radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat and coolant neck? Other than that I think the only "broken" thing I replaced was the HVAC gear or whatever behind the cluster. $0 since I 3d printed an upgraded design in resin..

Otherwise it's been just fine even though it was absolutely abused before we bought it... PO at least kept up on oil changes, under the valve cover is almost as clean as my LS engines. 😂

Only thing that keeps giving us problems is the coil pack, which I mean I shouldn't be buying part store coils and get a Delphi... Just sucks when they go out it's always a work day and even the dealership doesn't have the OE in stock.

Either way it's just a beater until I get my finances straightened out, buy myself a 17 SS and get her Regal or ATS. 

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

2 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

Yup had the one from yesterday crap out after like 5 miles today (random multiple cylinders misfire) 😂 got another after arguing with the people at AutoZone that this one was basically dead out of the box poor QC. Got home with the new one and saw a the cylinder 4 misfire count just keep going up. Swapped the 3/4 plugs and it went to cylinder 3 😐 the spark plug was bad i guess? They are only 2 weeks old  bought them before the 1st duralast coil. And they are the OE replacement ACdelco plugs 🤔 definitely a first for me having a plug cause a misfire that doesn't have obvious signs of damage.

🤷‍♂️ It's close to 150k just replaced the turbo. Over the last year I've done the radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat and coolant neck? Other than that I think the only "broken" thing I replaced was the HVAC gear or whatever behind the cluster. $0 since I 3d printed an upgraded design in resin..

Otherwise it's been just fine even though it was absolutely abused before we bought it... PO at least kept up on oil changes, under the valve cover is almost as clean as my LS engines. 😂

Only thing that keeps giving us problems is the coil pack, which I mean I shouldn't be buying part store coils and get a Delphi... Just sucks when they go out it's always a work day and even the dealership doesn't have the OE in stock.

Either way it's just a beater until I get my finances straightened out, buy myself a 17 SS and get her Regal or ATS. 

They're known for head gasket issues as well as the valve cover PCV and intake manifold check valve failing. Honestly 150K is the highest miles I've ever seen on one, usually they're junked when the turbo goes or the head gasket goes or the trans fails.