Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Celica pulled 33mpg highway coming back across Indiana, not bad for a 23yr old modified sportsy car. I even forgot to bump the tire pressure back up from fun to highway pressure. That's right about or a little better than with the stock intake actually, I'm impressed.

I need to actually go through and clip out some good bits and look at the gopro footage my friend sent me but here's a little bit. New road so being extra cautious. I see what happens around there when things go wrong, they go really wrong. No cell service so if you go off you're not calling for help, you just gotta hope you leave some skid marks and someone drives by to notice eventually. Also you have to be careful around merges and not be jerks to the locals, the roads are theirs, we're just visiting.

Got around to installing the tint I ordered for the sonoma. need to get another roll to do the back glass....and also replace the bronzed glass with clear...
Supposed to be 35% 3m ceramic. but inside looks a little purple to me, so idk see what it looks like after a few days.

PXL_20231013_212437427.thumb.jpg.ca4564129c30d2534077e033778f4c4b.jpg

PXL_20231013_212553507.thumb.jpg.739b077c60dbecea2fa81d9d3c71dd81.jpg

Also hauled off 300lbs of scrap metal out of my garage, but I got to weigh the truck on their scales and its 3440lbs with a half a tank of gas and me in it... 3314 is factory curb weight.... she's a lil piggy

391695714_10229726435975572_7801901005780700309_n.thumb.jpg.302c8543dbb4c1c923f8e42e9692dc58.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

It seems like all I've been doing has been wiring for a while now. However it's getting really close.

radiatorswap9.jpg

Don't mind the spaghetti in the background. I'm almost done running wires, so I can start bundling them, cleaning it up, and putting them in loom. MrsOhioYJ did a pretty nice job on the fuse / relay box lid:

radiatorswap10.jpg

The new switch panel showed up. Couldn't resist hooking it up to a power supply real quick:

newpanel2.jpg

Can it cause any harm if i power up the car (golf mk5) in an electrically speaking partial state (some stuff missing like steering angle sensor, both "arms" and the sort? (The error codes arent a concern, i have the tool to clear them out). Had blow apart the cockpit for the driver side temperature flap actuating motor because HVAC controller thinks its faulty. Now that i have it out of the car giving it 5V makes it move and the potentiometer aint broken/shorted, so i have no other choice but to connect it and measure it while the AC is running.......

/EDIT
Almost forgot, usually fault codes tell you what exactly is the issue. In this case it only shows a 01809 fault but no info if its a short, a break, or whatever.

Finally got it started again today. Never mind the wiring mess that is inside the Jeep at the moment. I literally have wires twisted together at the moment to make it run, but that's still an on going project. Radiator is finally in:

radiatorswap11.jpg

One last snag... As it turns out no amount of flushing will get nearly 20 years of wheeling mud and debris out of the coolant reservoir, I tried. Then I realized, I was spending a lot of time on something I could get new for $25. So one more new part ordered.

radiatorswap12.jpg

Had a minor oops that MrsOhioYJ didn't see the same humor in last night. Started feeding a wire through the firewall and asked what that noise was, then realized I was feeding a live wire through the firewall.. It found the engine block.

30 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Drain cleaner overnight might take the gunk out of the old bottle but yeah sometimes new is easier.

Hmm, I may try this if the aftermarket replacement is of questionable quality. You know how that goes sometimes with "reproduction" parts, always a roll of the dice.

I know I need to start looking some of this stuff up soon before I spend time on it. I remember when I started in on the body work a few years back the same thing happened with the fenders. Started cutting out rust:

fenderreplace2.jpg

And welding in replacement sections:

fenderreplace3.jpg

However the more I did this, the more bad spots I found. Likely from me cutting on things for clearance. Then I realized I was spending a lot of time on these things when new fenders where only $150 each shipped to my door:

fenderreplace7.jpg

This time I made sure they were coated good on all sides after being cut on, before installation (after a trial fit).

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Hmm, I may try this if the aftermarket replacement is of questionable quality. You know how that goes sometimes with "reproduction" parts, always a roll of the dice.

I know I need to start looking some of this stuff up soon before I spend time on it. I remember when I started in on the body work a few years back the same thing happened with the fenders. Started cutting out rust:

And welding in replacement sections:

However the more I did this, the more bad spots I found. Likely from me cutting on things for clearance. Then I realized I was spending a lot of time on these things when new fenders where only $150 each shipped to my door:

This time I made sure they were coated good on all sides after being cut on, before installation (after a trial fit).

I'm starting fresh with my 2023 Mazda and this time doing it right since I have it from the start. I'm hitting the bottom of the car with Flex Seal spray in white. I know, sounds dumb but hear me out. It cures to a much harder rubber surface than normal undercoating does and it stood up to nearly 10yrs of Chicago winter on the old daily driver, it's still white, it's still there, and hardly any rust popped through except where a tiny bit was started. I'm going to put Cosmoline through all the cavities and crevices after the Flex Seal is all dried up.

43 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Flex Seal spray in white. I know, sounds dumb but hear me out. It cures to a much harder rubber surface than normal undercoating does and it stood up to nearly 10yrs of Chicago winter on the old daily driver

Interesting. I know I used a truck bed liner on the inside of my Jeep tub, and a few places outside. I found the bed liner I used to be almost a bit too hard, it was brittle, so it doesn't hold up to impacts very well. Not horrible, but it's more prone to chipping than under coat. However undercoat is too soft.  It kind of made me go back to just using Rust-Oleum. Maybe I should give the flex seal a look, if it's not horribly pricey... 

I spent a fair amount of time on surface prep, so I don't think it was that:

blprep.jpg

blprep4.jpg

Sorry about the watermarks, I had a brief period where I had a site stealing my articles and images, so there was a period of time where I was watermarking everything. Now it would be a pain to go back and replace the hundreds of images with them. 

27 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Interesting. I know I used a truck bed liner on the inside of my Jeep tub, and a few places outside. I found the bed liner I used to be almost a bit too hard, it was brittle, so it doesn't hold up to impacts very well. Not horrible, but it's more prone to chipping than under coat. However undercoat is too soft.  It kind of made me go back to just using Rust-Oleum. Maybe I should give the flex seal a look, if it's not horribly pricey... 

I spent a fair amount of time on surface prep, so I don't think it was that:

Sorry about the watermarks, I had a brief period where I had a site stealing my articles and images, so there was a period of time where I was watermarking everything. Now it would be a pain to go back and replace the hundreds of images with them. 

No, cheaper spray on bed liners aren't very good for that use at all. Flex Seal is $12-17 a can but they're big cans and you get a lot out of them. I sprayed it over existing undercoating and it took a while to dry, it stayed tacky but did harden up. May have been reacting to the stuff I sprayed it over. Whoever gets this car in their bay for service (besides me) and gets a look under it is going to be confused. Bottoms of cars aren't white!

On 10/11/2023 at 11:03 PM, htimsenyawed said:

ATF and acetone mixed 50/50, finally able to get the driver side hydraulic hose off and new one installed. Bleeding by yourself is a bitch.

Someone remind me to get a vacuum bleeder before I do the rear brakes.

Def would recommend

https://www.fenderlizard.com/product/brake-bleeder/5

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

First time driving with the new tint.

Only 35% still not sure I like the 3m stuff, seems to have a very slight haze to it maybe that's just me never having actual driven anything with tint.

From the outside it definitely looks better. But really need to get the back glass swapped out and tinted to match...

the factory bronzed glass looks silly now

PXL_20231016_203417054.thumb.jpg.f54b7e1d81c5ce73c7aefe6b2dc9fa13.jpg

Since I have to order more to do the back glass, I'm thinking I might get Llumar 30% ceramic and redo the side glass as well

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Finally got everything done, well, done enough to take it for a test drive. I ended up making a metal backing plate for the switch panel:

newwire3.jpg

Everything installed and things most cleaned up:

newwire5.jpg

Spoiler

What do you guys think, busted potentiometer or the HVAC controller is acting up? (Yes did the reset/calibration by pressing the ac button and the bottom-left in the middle. And please ignore the movement of the assembly, only one screw is holding it ATM.) Im leaning towards the latter because both the driver and passenger side flap actuator is doing the same thing.....

Good thing I took a shit before I left for work otherwise there would have been 5 skid marks this morning.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Good thing I took a shit before I left for work otherwise there would have been 5 skid marks this morning.

Jesus, good thing you were paying attention.

c/s their rig shifts to neutral while using cruise control above 75mph and they must pull over and restart the vehicle to get it going again. So I get it, naturally check the push button shifter... no spill evidence. Go to drive it and the thing dies on me in the middle of an intersection while turning from a stop. Like, stuck coasting without power steering, but the engine stayed on. Wipers cutting out and gauge cluster rapidly rebooting. I restart the rig and shift to park, then drive again and it had no issues. Pull it into the stall and check the battery because I suspect a terminal issue...

image.png.53f820a5a2001126745a1ccfa172fcad.png

And the top of the battery cover is missing. These batteries are sealed with active cooling. My guess is it had the idle stop warranty extension done where you replace the starter, relays, and valve adjustment.... and someone pulled a goomba move.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Mazda Iconic SP announced at the Japan mobility show this year. 

It has a 2 rotor engine used as a generator to charge batteries, wheels are driven only by electric motors.

its about 3100 lbs and 10 inches longer than a Miata 

obviously a concept but they’ll probably base whatever next sports car they make off of it.

Pretty interesting 

image.thumb.png.8128314a80b123e9c12ce4649b04750e.png
image.thumb.png.167dd298d5d3e362736470fe3b080071.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not sure what a low torque, low efficiency rotary will do for charging an EV powertrain over a piston ICE. Maybe they finally developed a rotary that fixes the issues of past versions. Pretty light for an EV though.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Trucks make wide turns

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Trucks make wide turns

Trucks should check their mirrors before juking into the left lane when there's approaching traffic and wait for traffic to pass before starting their wide turn. Truck had a double width entrance made for trucks to enter without doing a double lane wide turn. Truck was not paying attention to its mirrors or being a dangerous asshole on purpose.