Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 10/5/2023 at 12:33 AM, vetali said:

Don't really like punching into the rods honestly. I have a nice Japanese made auto center punch (went full out on that one because its impossible to find a center punch that works well). Still don't like doing it.

I have been looking around the shop to see what I can throw in it. Unfortunately a cylinder head or oil pan wont fit. But I do need to clean a lot of my sockets. People don't like the sound, which is a plus in my books.

Oh. Rod cap is pretty safe to mark.

Side hustle idea, charge the other techs to use your US cleaner on their jobs lol. $5 a batch or something, just enough to buy yourself lunch.

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Lesson learned:
Econobox: speed all you want
Big truck: go as slow as possible

Result: Econoboxes weaving between slow trucks on the freeway please send help

Yeah it's hilarious what the difference is between 55 - 65 - 75 - 85 - 95.

Spread between ~40mpg to 15, lmao.

This seems like a better thread for this stuff then the purchase thread... My Jeep recently got jealous and decided it wanted some attention:

My antifreeze came out, well not green. (No more water wetter for me, it's also changing the color of the antifreeze in my motorcycles)

radiatorswap1.jpg

Almost too fancy for my Jeep:

radiatorswap2.jpg

The other stuff was replaced when I rebuilt the motor, but it does sit a lot and it was a good was to help flush all that junk out.

radiatorswap3.jpg

So a bunch of other new parts. Replacing the cheap power steering cooler with a better one that can be "correctly" mounted.

radiatorswap4.jpg

Will be once again cleaning up some more electrical stuff, will only be the third or fourth time in 20 years. Have a new switch panel being made.

newpanel1.jpg

It will be replacing my switch boxes I made many years ago (very old picture):

53newbup.jpg

Got a little further today. Took a couple attempts to get the power steering cooler hoses routed in a way I was happy with them:

radiatorswap5.jpg

This should be plenty of cooling for my my setup:

radiatorswap6.jpg

This was my solution to get the electric fan sensor and the sensor for my gauge installed. Not the best looking solution, but it just has to be functional:

radiatorswap7.jpg

The sensors just clear each other:

radiatorswap8.jpg

9 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

Took 6 Saturdays, but I’m much happier with it. Everything was blended up, diluted, cleaned twice, straight distilled and then transitioned into the blue. 

I ran mine once with distilled water once drained. Then manually flushed the heater core. I sucked out what I could out of the block with a hose and vacuum pump (however I know there's still stuff left in the block, especially as much of an angle as my motor sits at). 

Hopefully it's better at least. I'll see what it looks like later next year after it gets driven more (it sits in the garage over the winter).

does anybody here have a 2005 honda civic hybrid?

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

Is anyone here knowledgeable about 350 vortecs and timing them? I might have to send my truck into the shop if I need a fancy scan tool to fix this misfire over 70 mph when it's hot out. Luckily I've got fall winter and spring before I have to fix it, but I've already replaced the crank position sensor, which fixed some of the misfiring, particularly at idle, just now having issues at WOT, and in hot weather. Probably due for a distributor cap and rotor, plus I need to change transmission fluid and filter, as well as t-case fluid, grease parts of the suspension, replace rear leaves and shocks (i wayyyy overloaded it and it's squatted because the leaves are basically shot, and the shocks don't compress or de-compress now, plus they're original from 98), and work on the rear brakes. Don't know if I can get it all done before snow, but I can hope lmao.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

1 minute ago, htimsenyawed said:

I have a transverse mounted I6 at a 5 degree offset towards the rear of the vehicle, so I know what you mean about the angle. That's why I took the slower drain and fill method until it was pretty close to clear then started with the blue adding it and letting it blend. As far as I know, the coolant hadn't been changed since 2009, which was when the timing was last done - and the water pump is timing driven. I'm pretty sure the thermostat was factory as well, so 2002 for that point.

Here is my maintenance list I'm keeping track of stuff with.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 8.36.54 AM.png

I'm going to guess the previous owner didn't keep records? I've got the same system going on in my notes app lol

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

2 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

They're probably on record with Quantrell Volvo, since it was serviced there from 2002 until 2014, then DIY service (which it had two broken coil packs and Champion copper plugs when I bought it) until late 2018 and parked except to keep the fluids moving every now and then. I bought it in September? 2019. 

I didn't keep service records until I decided to go overboard with maintenance items that needed to be taken care of. Then again, in 4 years I've put 6,000 miles on it so it's not driven heavily.

Ah, ok. Previous owner of mine did some DIY, some shop, but didn't keep very good records of either, so I'm trying to catch up on deferred/un-recorded/halfassed repairs. I've never really followed much from volvo, what model is it? I don't know much about them, except maybe the 240's because I wanted one for a bit, just because they look like shoeboxes lmao.

I'm down at the Dragon with a friend, made a wrong turn, ended driving a road called Happy Valley Road and holy hell what a drive. Way tighter and more technical than the dragon with very little traffic. Awesome road. Parts of it are intense.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm down at the Dragon with a friend, made a wrong turn, ended driving a road called Happy Valley Road and holy hell what a drive. Way tighter and more technical than the dragon with very little traffic. Awesome road. Parts of it are intense.

Interesting. Wish I had known about that when I went a few years ago 

3EA7FA4D-A9CE-44F4-9F1A-B0B4564AB24A.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

15 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Is anyone here knowledgeable about 350 vortecs and timing them? I might have to send my truck into the shop if I need a fancy scan tool to fix this misfire over 70 mph when it's hot out. Luckily I've got fall winter and spring before I have to fix it, but I've already replaced the crank position sensor, which fixed some of the misfiring, particularly at idle, just now having issues at WOT, and in hot weather. Probably due for a distributor cap and rotor, plus I need to change transmission fluid and filter, as well as t-case fluid, grease parts of the suspension, replace rear leaves and shocks (i wayyyy overloaded it and it's squatted because the leaves are basically shot, and the shocks don't compress or de-compress now, plus they're original from 98), and work on the rear brakes. Don't know if I can get it all done before snow, but I can hope lmao.

If its a flat cap then for sure start with cap and rotor... and keep a spare in your glovebox with a t15. Those things will leave you walking.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

It's not exactly car related but 👀 I've got my sand blasting stuff setup and all the stuff I need to start powder coating, so every thing piece of bare aluminum on my truck is about to be powder coated 😂

Only the finest hazard fart tools here.

PXL_20231009_222215369.thumb.jpg.4a3647ee344c113ccf900080db059acb.jpg

Just some spare stuff in the garage to play around with tonight.

PXL_20231010_042621279.thumb.jpg.ac4c62a4d0944b1d7af00f683d17bdb1.jpgPXL_20231010_001025513.thumb.jpg.2c5fe94978f33152769df2e3d7be22d0.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

8 hours ago, vetali said:

If its a flat cap then for sure start with cap and rotor... and keep a spare in your glovebox with a t15. Those things will leave you walking.

Yeah, I just actually ordered a new cap and rotor. Hoping it's that, and not anything more expensive. Luckily these motors are very easy to work on lmao. 

Wooo First test parts.

Had the gun, powder, and oven in my garage for like 3 years maybe more.

junk stainless collector from a pair of ebay short tube headers for my truck.PXL_20231010_210742527.thumb.jpg.c21444b37eaef61baa9f5c5169ddf474.jpg

and a spare? cover from a 0411 pcm since I accidentally fried my original one. Would install this one on my truck if I planned on staying gen 3.

PXL_20231010_213532431.thumb.jpg.86f415903aad2151cf6633dfb4b4d289.jpg

Didn't let it cook long enough and got some off gassing bubbles from the cheap cast aluminum..

I'm super excited to get the valve covers, coil brackets, and brake calipers done on the truck.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

19 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

Those came out looking pretty great. I’ve debated a sandblasting cabinet, but I have to invest in an air compressor first. 

However, a parts washer would come in handy for me too. 

I had to buy a compressor a few months back for a die grinder 😅 but yeah a parts washer is definitely next on my shopping list, and a decent sized ultrasonic cleaner.

Vaporwave: 

On 10/9/2023 at 7:59 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Interesting. Wish I had known about that when I went a few years ago 

3EA7FA4D-A9CE-44F4-9F1A-B0B4564AB24A.png

TN 116 is also a great road to drive down here, easy to get to and barely any traffic.

1 hour ago, theninja35 said:

I'm gonna order a CarFax report and see if you've been keeping up on maintenance.

when you do all your own maintenance that every car you buy disappears on carfax for years LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

when you do all your own maintenance that every car you buy disappears on carfax for years LOL

I do my own, but have the advisors make a blank RO so the work is on record.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

40 minutes ago, vetali said:

I do my own, but have the advisors make a blank RO so the work is on record.

Same but we don't submit to Carfax, it's just for myself so I remember.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Same but we don't submit to Carfax, it's just for myself so I remember.

We do, but that doesn't work in my favor when so many visits are for repairs. Just a few weeks ago we had a pretty cold morning and the rig barely started. I decided to just throw it on the fancy 3000 dollar charger at work on my flat stall because modern cars hardly charge these AGM batteries enough to get better MPGs. It actually failed. So I got a free 300 dollar battery replaced lol. Gonna get me a new seat frame before the warranty is up too. Getting tired of the clicking and popping going around turns.

Celica pulled 33mpg highway coming back across Indiana, not bad for a 23yr old modified sportsy car. I even forgot to bump the tire pressure back up from fun to highway pressure. That's right about or a little better than with the stock intake actually, I'm impressed.