Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 7/31/2023 at 6:50 PM, bcredeur97 said:

when i did this in my civic, I just installed the new one, and used my insurance company tow to tow it to the dealer so I just had to ask for them to program it to the car, and nothing else. Made it as easy as possible for them lol

you have a civic too?  tell me more 😁

On 7/31/2023 at 7:19 PM, bcredeur97 said:

58mpg CAFE standard proposal by 2032

seems unachievable, not gonna lie lol 

I feel like they could leave things where they are at for a little while, and just grind on making things more reliable and getting more people into newer cars, which will always slowly happen over time. That alone will reduce consumption and emissions 

still a lot of people driving old stuff out there 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:06 PM, vetali said:

They always come out with these standards around election times, then move the goalposts when it gets close. I read that as, well better have a majority of your lineup EV. If the government wants to push EVs, then our infrastructure has to massively improve.

I like EVs, I think for point a to point b commuters they are great. Problem is Tesla has the best charging network and it isn't even close. I refuse to buy a Musk mobile.

Sounds like nothing has changed lol... GM and evap issues. Hate dealing with aftermarket evap stuff on Honda. Guaranteed to cause a loose gas cap light.

part of me wants to say they're gonna roll things back as we get closer, part of me wants to say the next president is gonna be a republican again (going off the flip flop thats been going on for the last 20+ years I've been paying attention) and they're gonna relax the requirements... but my GM just got back from some industry pool conference, the OEMs are pushing electric hard, hybrid too but to a much lesser degree.  so now I'm worried this might actually be a thing...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

7 hours ago, warmmilk said:

nice to see tires getting some proper use!  and yeah, looks like it could benefit from a little more negative camber... What car is this on?

Ye Olde Slowe 00 Celica GTS. I've had it since 2009 and have slowly been making it worse 😅

Spoiler

DDIM Intake manifold w/ 90MM Q45 Throttle body

2AZ 12 hole injectors

BC Coilover suspension

8Kg/mm front spring rate

12Kg/mm rear spring rate (dampeners revalved to match!)

Front control arm bushings replaced with solid black poly

Rear upper control arm bushings replaced with solid black poly

Rear lower control arm bushings replaced with solid black poly

Steering rack bushings replaced with solid red poly

Stock brakes with

Centric Cryo Rotors front

Centric Plain rotors rear

Stoptech Street Performance front pads

Stoptech Street Performance rear pads

Dunlop Direzza ZIII

TRD 3 point rear strut tower brace

Rod Millen Motorsports front strut tower brace

Magnaflow 14210 muffler

Ported stock exhaust manifold

Infinity BassLink securely mounted in trunk

PIE TOY2 auxiliary input box for the factory radio

Front doors and rear trunk floor sound dampened

Antigravity AG-1601 16 cell LiFePo4 starting battery (4lbs, 480CA, 16AH)

Lexus chrome door strikers

Candy Red "TRD" steel door striker covers

Auxiliary trunk light

LED dome light, 5000K OEM Lexus color

OEM HID housings with Osram Nightbreaker Laser Unlimited D2S

9011 high beam bulbs

Di-Chroic yellow fog light bulbs

JDM Astar 3014 T10 amber LED for front side marker

200lm T10 LED's in front parking lights with special modded bulb holders to turn them 90 degrees so they shine into the high beam bowls

Diode Dynamics tail as turn module as front turn signal repeater for side markers

15" electric air horn with custom mounting brackets

16" flexible mast antenna

Does anyone here have a rivian r1t? Is it any good?

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ye Olde Slowe 00 Celica GTS. I've had it since 2009 and have slowly been making it worse 😅

Hide contents

DDIM Intake manifold w/ 90MM Q45 Throttle body

2AZ 12 hole injectors

BC Coilover suspension

8Kg/mm front spring rate

12Kg/mm rear spring rate (dampeners revalved to match!)

Front control arm bushings replaced with solid black poly

Rear upper control arm bushings replaced with solid black poly

Rear lower control arm bushings replaced with solid black poly

Steering rack bushings replaced with solid red poly

Stock brakes with

Centric Cryo Rotors front

Centric Plain rotors rear

Stoptech Street Performance front pads

Stoptech Street Performance rear pads

Dunlop Direzza ZIII

TRD 3 point rear strut tower brace

Rod Millen Motorsports front strut tower brace

Magnaflow 14210 muffler

Ported stock exhaust manifold

Infinity BassLink securely mounted in trunk

PIE TOY2 auxiliary input box for the factory radio

Front doors and rear trunk floor sound dampened

Antigravity AG-1601 16 cell LiFePo4 starting battery (4lbs, 480CA, 16AH)

Lexus chrome door strikers

Candy Red "TRD" steel door striker covers

Auxiliary trunk light

LED dome light, 5000K OEM Lexus color

OEM HID housings with Osram Nightbreaker Laser Unlimited D2S

9011 high beam bulbs

Di-Chroic yellow fog light bulbs

JDM Astar 3014 T10 amber LED for front side marker

200lm T10 LED's in front parking lights with special modded bulb holders to turn them 90 degrees so they shine into the high beam bowls

Diode Dynamics tail as turn module as front turn signal repeater for side markers

15" electric air horn with custom mounting brackets

16" flexible mast antenna

Those are pretty sweet, I’ve always like them. I just don’t fit in them, my head touches the roof or I’m sitting in an awkward position… I like to sit relatively up right.  

90mm throttle body? That’s huge! How’s drivability with that at low to mid rpm?

pics?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

4 hours ago, warmmilk said:

Those are pretty sweet, I’ve always like them. I just don’t fit in them, my head touches the roof or I’m sitting in an awkward position… I like to sit relatively up right.  

90mm throttle body? That’s huge! How’s drivability with that at low to mid rpm?

pics?

I'm running it on the stock ECM with no tuning yet and the injectors are nearly the same size as stock so it drives pretty much like stock. The manifold is designed around having the right runner length and plenum volume to use 2nd order harmonics to with better with cylinder scavenging to set up the right intake velocity to get more air into the cylinders, the OEM plenum and runners are a compromise for packaging the engine in the car and noise restrictions, smaller than optimal plenum and shorter more curved runners with an adequate 75mm throttle body. The intake manifold really boosts torque across the RPM range, obviously especially at high RPM but I notice it even at lower RPM's outside of the 6-8K high valve lift. It sort of feels like someone just made the engine a little bigger but I do notice that it feels less...precise. Stock the engine is super tight high strung feeling, now it's a little more relaxed feeling. It could just be a function of the induction noise being different/louder that changed my perception. Since the noise is much less controlled the engine maybe feels different, it's hard to put to words exactly.

Oh it's just another stockish black Celica. 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler

spacer.pngIMG_20230410_132602.thumb.jpg.b603565f4b8480ff935a6706bbb2ca7c.jpg

22 hours ago, warmmilk said:

you have a civic too?  tell me more 😁

part of me wants to say they're gonna roll things back as we get closer, part of me wants to say the next president is gonna be a republican again (going off the flip flop thats been going on for the last 20+ years I've been paying attention) and they're gonna relax the requirements... but my GM just got back from some industry pool conference, the OEMs are pushing electric hard, hybrid too but to a much lesser degree.  so now I'm worried this might actually be a thing...

had. I had an '05 LX that i paid $2k for and drove for 2 years, 1 without a/c because I was trying to save every literal penny I had lol. I actually donated it when I was done with it.

I now have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. Gonna be going on 2 years with this one in November. I've driven this one literally across the whole country in both directions lol. I bought it with 109k miles and im at 145k now lol.

- so far just oil changes, 1 adblue pump that was actually warrantied, and me running a sketchy new wire for the radiator fan so it wouldn't run at 100% constantly that im surprised still works. I should prob take a sawzall to the exhaust before the non-warranty ruins me on some of that stuff

Still have the Miata. It's not driven much though. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm running it on the stock ECM with no tuning yet and the injectors are nearly the same size as stock so it drives pretty much like stock. The manifold is designed around having the right runner length and plenum volume to use 2nd order harmonics to with better with cylinder scavenging to set up the right intake velocity to get more air into the cylinders, the OEM plenum and runners are a compromise for packaging the engine in the car and noise restrictions, smaller than optimal plenum and shorter more curved runners with an adequate 75mm throttle body. The intake manifold really boosts torque across the RPM range, obviously especially at high RPM but I notice it even at lower RPM's outside of the 6-8K high valve lift. It sort of feels like someone just made the engine a little bigger but I do notice that it feels less...precise. Stock the engine is super tight high strung feeling, now it's a little more relaxed feeling. It could just be a function of the induction noise being different/louder that changed my perception. Since the noise is much less controlled the engine maybe feels different, it's hard to put to words exactly.

Oh it's just another stockish black Celica. 🤷‍♂️

Hide contents

spacer.pngIMG_20230410_132602.thumb.jpg.b603565f4b8480ff935a6706bbb2ca7c.jpg

its like I asked a girl for a pic and she sent me a pic of her elbow... lol

are these celica's a double wishbone front or McStrut?  also when are you doing a K20 swap? 😀

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

had. I had an '05 LX that i paid $2k for and drove for 2 years, 1 without a/c because I was trying to save every literal penny I had lol. I actually donated it when I was done with it.

I now have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. Gonna be going on 2 years with this one in November. I've driven this one literally across the whole country in both directions lol. I bought it with 109k miles and im at 145k now lol.

- so far just oil changes, 1 adblue pump that was actually warrantied, and me running a sketchy new wire for the radiator fan so it wouldn't run at 100% constantly that im surprised still works. I should prob take a sawzall to the exhaust before the non-warranty ruins me on some of that stuff

Still have the Miata. It's not driven much though. 

ah I see... just a commuter car.

I still have one of my miata's too, its been in the state of "almost done" for like 3 years now... its for sale, anyone wanna buy it? (with stock seats)

image.thumb.jpeg.79205cd88c76c489357eb946d5ee7ed4.jpeg

5 hours ago, warmmilk said:

its like I asked a girl for a pic and she sent me a pic of her elbow... lol

are these celica's a double wishbone front or McStrut?  also when are you doing a K20 swap? 😀

Well tell the mods to fix the attachments page issues and I'll find one that I already uploaded, it's a pain to do it from my phone.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was before the intake, just messing around with the girl in the car.

Swap? Never. I'd like to figure out some tuning for it to get more out of the manifold, maybe some stage 2 piper cams some day. With the manifold tuned I think I'll be satisfied with it for a while.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Well tell the mods to fix the attachments page issues and I'll find one that I already uploaded, it's a pain to do it from my phone.

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was before the intake, just messing around with the girl in the car.

Swap? Never. I'd like to figure out some tuning for it to get more out of the manifold, maybe some stage 2 piper cams some day. With the manifold tuned I think I'll be satisfied with it for a while.

Haha, that’s better… I wish my car was black… that burnt copper or whatever color is stupid. 

that vid makes it sound like you Navi called you a stupid asshole, lol

2 hours ago, warmmilk said:

Haha, that’s better… I wish my car was black… that burnt copper or whatever color is stupid. 

that vid makes it sound like you Navi called you a stupid asshole, lol

I have much nicer looking pictures but until they fix the forum attachments it's not worth finding them to re-upload them. I mean literally you can google 2000 Celica and that's what it looks like, just a little lower. Only exterior changes are the 0-60 decal, some lighting changes, red inserts on the CELICA on the trunk, debadge the Toyota and GT-S, and the candy red front emblem. It's very not modified, looks fine as it came from the factory honestly, the big wings and side skirts and stuff meh, not for me.

Ha yea, she was buried in her phone watching a sportsball game when I did that.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

I have much nicer looking pictures but until they fix the forum attachments it's not worth finding them to re-upload them. I mean literally you can google 2000 Celica and that's what it looks like, just a little lower. Only exterior changes are the 0-60 decal, some lighting changes, red inserts on the CELICA on the trunk, debadge the Toyota and GT-S, and the candy red front emblem. It's very not modified, looks fine as it came from the factory honestly, the big wings and side skirts and stuff meh, not for me.

Ha yea, she was buried in her phone watching a sportsball game when I did that.

Well I didn’t know that when I asked for the pics… haha

6 hours ago, warmmilk said:

Well I didn’t know that when I asked for the pics… haha

See username, I'm a grump.

Spoiler

IMG_20230805_093511.thumb.jpg.1dd5ee1d3b40a835163499a83e09167f.jpg

IMG_20230805_093450.thumb.jpg.b137234b9c15f4d5a8ef6462352641bf.jpg

New pictures.

Had one of those moments where I thought I ordered everything for a very simple project. Saw something else listed, "whats that for, nah don't need that.." Parts show up, take things apart, "oh... I see what that other thing was for..."

So now just making some new brackets, mine are aluminum, so they'll be lighter (upside).

drzturn1.jpg

These are just simple turn signal brackets, they won't really be seen, so they don't have to be perfect really.

drzturn2.jpg

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Had one of those moments where I thought I ordered everything for a very simple project. Saw something else listed, "whats that for, nah don't need that.." Parts show up, take things apart, "oh... I see what that other thing was for..."

"Useless extra"

"Wait shit I did need that the instructions just sucked" -story of my life

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

the instructions just sucked" -story of my life

These instructions say tap into the orange wire. Apparently Suzuki got a killer deal on orange wire, and wired most of the bike with orange wire, because practically everything might as well be orange in here.

drzturn3.jpg

Little bit of a probing around with a meter I found what I was looking for.

11 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

These instructions say tap into the orange wire. Apparently Suzuki got a killer deal on orange wire, and wired most of the bike with orange wire, because practically everything might as well be orange in here.

Tap em all together

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

-snip-

when you're defusing a bomb, and you're told to cut the orange wire

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

when you're defusing a bomb, and you're told to cut the orange wire

There are three types on Sonoma GT owners.

The stock purest 

DSC_6682.thumb.png.6a1f31d1cf7442c9198bc27e81a13530.png

The clean modest build

DSC_6675.thumb.png.b896a98e3c1330bce68a5f7993c68dc8.png

And LS go brrrrrr

Snapchat-1791986233.thumb.jpg.351fa49c311c5280abf04e45a790ff66.jpg

Carlisle truck nationals was great fun this year, just sad Tony Angelo didn't bring his sike clone out 😂

If anyone is interested here's a drive link to the pictures I took over the weekend.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8sgPNWnpjxc-uz5SwHX6kwZ-NW0-VaI

Mostly S-series trucks but there's a few other trucks from around the fairgrounds.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Knew I'd find someone that took a picture of my truck at the fairgrounds 😂
Of course they got it while I was off looking for an atm

363435802_7150828778264718_8773501364865652046_n.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Nearly 200K miles on my 2013 Mazda 3, and still on the original clutch with no signs of slipping. Suppose that means I can drive a manual correctly.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…