Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, Vonrottes said:

but unfortunately they are becoming the new poster car for takeovers

takeovers? Explain

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

takeovers? Explain

It's the one thing Detroit and Texas have in common (except for gun-related violence). It involves a bunch of guys in rented/stolen/10-year-leased camaros and challengers drifting, crashing, and otherwise endangering themselves and others on highways, and/or road intersections.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

36 minutes ago, IKnight said:

It's the one thing Detroit and Texas have in common (except for gun-related violence). It involves a bunch of guys in rented/stolen/10-year-leased camaros and challengers drifting, crashing, and otherwise endangering themselves and others on highways, and/or road intersections.

...and the point of this is...?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

50 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

takeovers? Explain

Illegal, degenerate behavior that is giving car enthusiasts a bad image. . . IKnight summed it up pretty well.

Don't forget the guns at takeovers too.

it's just embarrassing. 

39 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Takeovers where their interest rate is higher than their IQ and credit score. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

...and the point of this is...?

To just be dumb? I think Tiktok and other "shorts" might have been how it started just for internet clout?

I'm sure you've seen the videos of people doing donuts and spectators running between cars, getting hit. or lighting fires in the street while everyone is recording it on their phone.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

My latest project is getting the AC in my daily working again and that involves a new compressor.
The old one went out so that means a full system flush and all else I'll have to do. Change out the compressor and condensor, receiver dryer, flush out the hoses and evaporator then do the system vaccum, charge and PAG.

May take a little while but shoudn't be that bad of a job once the new compressor is in, the condensor is a snap compared to most.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

47 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

My latest project is getting the AC in my daily working again and that involves a new compressor.
The old one went out so that means a full system flush and all else I'll have to do. Change out the compressor and condensor, receiver dryer, flush out the hoses and evaporator then do the system vaccum, charge and PAG.

May take a little while but shoudn't be that bad of a job once the new compressor is in, the condensor is a snap compared to most.

I still have yet to do this on any car. When I had that salvage civic I didn’t want to invest a penny into it… so that ended up including driving it without a/c for about a year, because I didn’t think it was worth fixing 

funny thing is, I prob could have fixed it and sold it during the covid car price craziness and would of been fine. But I didn’t know that was going to happen so… oh well 

I feel like used cars are still expensive. Prob never going to correct any further downwards either. What used to be $10k is now $15k 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:44 AM, TVwazhere said:

I can vouch for PA as well. I've had to drive through nearly the entire state North east to South west, both highway and back roads for trips to visit my girlfriends friends, as well as a 400+ mile trip to drive a U haul with trailer (because U haul got me to take the thing for free out of PA) through narrow backroads that shared oncomming traffic with 18 wheelers.

I've never been more tense than watching the passenger side mirror looking at the trailers wheel be right on the edge of the road, as a fully loaded 18 wheeler does 45-50 on a 35mph road with no painted lines and in some spots no asphalt. 

I told my gf "if this was my ST I'd be having so much fun on these roads."

@bcredeur97 Went on another road trip through PA again ;this time I got to experience nearly the same back roads as I did with the Uhaul but in the ST. 10/10 fun doing 60+ in 35/45's 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I still have yet to do this on any car. When I had that salvage civic I didn’t want to invest a penny into it… so that ended up including driving it without a/c for about a year, because I didn’t think it was worth fixing 

funny thing is, I prob could have fixed it and sold it during the covid car price craziness and would of been fine. But I didn’t know that was going to happen so… oh well 

I feel like used cars are still expensive. Prob never going to correct any further downwards either. What used to be $10k is now $15k 

Got it back together and ATM drawing a vaccum on it.
Will see if it holds vaccum and if it does it's on to refilling the freon in it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

16 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

This stupid thing hasn't had AC since 2018, just because I couldn't find the right belt for my setup.
Gonna try to get it charged and working in the next week or two since it's back to being a daily.
PXL_20230531_183659722.thumb.jpg.12c8d61289a7d1727deb474d35b64a54.jpg
It's all there and all new, held a vacuum for 24hrs so it SHOULD work once I get the right belt which I had, but was using the wrong routing.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

42 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Got it back together and ATM drawing a vaccum on it.
Will see if it holds vaccum and if it does it's on to refilling the freon in it.

30 for 30 lol. I've let systems sit overnight and then pull down again. Especially helpful if the desicant is old or the system was open for a while. When I did my condenser at home I pulled it to vacuum the night before I drove to work then pulled it down again at work just to be sure the system was completely empty as much as possible. I added a little extra oil to compensate for some getting pulled out tho, don't forget to add some oil back! 

21 hours ago, Bitter said:

30 for 30 lol. I've let systems sit overnight and then pull down again. Especially helpful if the desicant is old or the system was open for a while. When I did my condenser at home I pulled it to vacuum the night before I drove to work then pulled it down again at work just to be sure the system was completely empty as much as possible. I added a little extra oil to compensate for some getting pulled out tho, don't forget to add some oil back! 

After getting the compressor in the car and mounted up, PAG was added directly to the compressor before I attached the lines to it. This one takes a touch over 5oz (5.03oz) but 5 oz is enough and there is a tiny bit already there so it's nothing to even sweat.

I have an old TIM tube I cleaned out a long time ago and used it like a syringe to draw oil out of the bottle and get it into the compressor. It has a vinyl hose on the end so getting PAG in the holes was no problem and although I really need a larger syringe, this one got the job done. I used my scale to measure how much oil I was drawing out from it's starting weight to the final weight reading for determining the amount of oil I was putting in.

It was slow about taking the freon but got the right amount in and it works great. I used a little scale for measuring this amount (19.36oz) of freon and I know I didn't get it exact but as long as it's cooling with the gauges showing the correct pressures while running it's fine.
I double-checked things this morning since it had ran yesterday and the gauges did show it being a tad low, topped it off, let it run and settle it's pressures and all readings show it's right on the money now.

Pressures at around 80f ambient shows 35-37lbs on the low side and about 220ish on the high side after it runs for a few minutes and these pressures settle with the engine at idle, system set for max cool.

It's fixed, working great and I'm not messing with it again until the next time it needs attention.

Went to the yearly "Hardcore S10 takeover" for the first time in my truck 😂
Good wholesome car guy fun with no illegal activity....well I think one guy did a burnout at the host's house.

DSC_6533-Enhanced-NR.thumb.png.57d611dc845b7353072b768774cf6d68.png

Had 19 trucks participate in the cruise, and a couple that drove all the way from Ontario
The orange truck dropped a LCA on the drive there due balljoint nut coming off, and I believe one of the red trucks lost a rear wheel.
I thankfully had zero issues and was the only Sy/Ty/SoGT there....and the sloppiest looking LS swap

Vaporwave: 

On 6/1/2023 at 11:31 AM, Beerzerker said:

After getting the compressor in the car and mounted up, PAG was added directly to the compressor before I attached the lines to it. This one takes a touch over 5oz (5.03oz) but 5 oz is enough and there is a tiny bit already there so it's nothing to even sweat.

I have an old TIM tube I cleaned out a long time ago and used it like a syringe to draw oil out of the bottle and get it into the compressor. It has a vinyl hose on the end so getting PAG in the holes was no problem and although I really need a larger syringe, this one got the job done. I used my scale to measure how much oil I was drawing out from it's starting weight to the final weight reading for determining the amount of oil I was putting in.

It was slow about taking the freon but got the right amount in and it works great. I used a little scale for measuring this amount (19.36oz) of freon and I know I didn't get it exact but as long as it's cooling with the gauges showing the correct pressures while running it's fine.
I double-checked things this morning since it had ran yesterday and the gauges did show it being a tad low, topped it off, let it run and settle it's pressures and all readings show it's right on the money now.

Pressures at around 80f ambient shows 35-37lbs on the low side and about 220ish on the high side after it runs for a few minutes and these pressures settle with the engine at idle, system set for max cool.

It's fixed, working great and I'm not messing with it again until the next time it needs attention.

As long as your charge is within 10% it's fine, once you start getting outside 20% under charged you can run into long term lube issues since lube carrying capacity drops off in a non linear rather steep fashion with system charge level. At 75% charge you have just 50% lube oil carrying capacity in the system!

Kinda bummed, missed out of a restored Fiat x 1/9 near me. Was on CL forever, finally noticed it and in discussions with the owner, and poof, sold.

Oh well, back to looking for a nice Alfa Alfetta (nee GT)

3 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

Good wholesome car guy fun with no illegal activity....well I think one guy did a burnout at the host's house.

Had 19 trucks participate in the cruise, and a couple that drove all the way from Ontario
The orange truck dropped a LCA on the drive there due balljoint nut coming off, and I believe one of the red trucks lost a rear wheel.
I thankfully had zero issues and was the only Sy/Ty/SoGT there....and the sloppiest looking LS swap

Hinge pins and heater cores are about as hardcore as I get with S10s.

S10s and I have an abusive relationship. My dad keeps egging me on to LS swap mine but... naw.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

S10s and I have an abusive relationship. My dad keeps egging me on to LS swap mine but... naw.

LS swap when

58 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

LS swap when

@JoaoPRSousa first

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

6 hours ago, vetali said:

Yep - Had to do mine earlier and woudn't wish that job on anyone.
Mine lasted for about 30 years (Original) so maybe it will last for that long again.

10 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

Cool - Where was this meet held?
Wish I could have been there but I'm thinking it's way too far for me to have gone there.

23 hours ago, vetali said:

1992 at 169k I'm still rocking the original hinge pins with zero sag/wobble and the original heater core just started leaking

And the answer for every S-series is definitely an LS swap.  Mine looks and functions like it came in the truck 31 years ago 😂 and there's plenty others that look better than mine but I was going for a factory equipment aesthetic, which is why I went with a cast aluminum intake instead of the composite... It just looks closer to the 4.3 intake that came in the truck 

17 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Yep - Had to do mine earlier and woudn't wish that job on anyone.
Mine lasted for about 30 years (Original) so maybe it will last for that long again.

Cool - Where was this meet held?
Wish I could have been there but I'm thinking it's way too far for me to have gone there.

Was in Chillicothe Ohio, yearly even put on by "hardcore S10" group on facebook

Vaporwave: 

Anyone in the Springfield IL area that wants to do a once over on a car I"m interested in?

20 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

1992 at 169k I'm still rocking the original hinge pins with zero sag/wobble and the original heater core just started leaking

And the answer for every S-series is definitely an LS swap.  Mine looks and functions like it came in the truck 31 years ago 😂 and there's plenty others that look better than mine but I was going for a factory equipment aesthetic, which is why I went with a cast aluminum intake instead of the composite... It just looks closer to the 4.3 intake that came in the truck 

Was in Chillicothe Ohio, yearly even put on by "hardcore S10" group on facebook

1st gens weren't too bad. See them all the time on 2nd gens. My blazer had that old vortec 4.3. Pain to work on.

43 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Anyone in the Springfield IL area that wants to do a once over on a car I"m interested in?

No one lives in downstate IL lol. It's all an illusion. (I'm many many hours away from there but probably a fairly competent car inspector)

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

No one lives in downstate IL lol. It's all an illusion. (I'm many many hours away from there but probably a fairly competent car inspector)

Ha, no worries, car sold already, but thank you for the offer!