Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, dragonfly43 said:

Someone I know wants to sell a a T-Ford 1929 in mint condition and asks me for advice.

I know zinc about these stuffs.

Can you guys help us with info and websites to get the job done without getting cheated ?

We live in Quebec.

Thanks. 

If you have the year model correct (1929) it's a Model A - The last year of Model T production was 1927.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

If you have the year model correct (1929) it's a Model A - The last year of Model T production was 1927.

Thanks for the info, I just relied on the registration paper.

How much that can fetch (at best) if that's an "A" ?

12 minutes ago, dragonfly43 said:

Thanks for the info, I just relied on the registration paper.

How much that can fetch (at best) if that's an "A" ?

I can't quote a price for you due to all the variables in play.
One is if it's still using the original 6V system or if it's been converted to a 12V setup instead. That won't hurt the value much, if at all since many do that anyway because it makes it easier to start and 12V batteries are more commonly found than 6V batteries are.

The exact model variant matters alot such as if it's the standard coupe, 4 door, roadster and so on.

ATM I'm currently involved with getting a 1930 Model A back on the road, it's a two door coupe with the rumble seat that had sat for years in a shed/barn after the owner had passed away. At that time it was a show car itself but the effects of just sitting wherever are present but it's still in great shape overall. Still has the "Do not touch" placards in it and so on from those days but it's getting touched alot ATM to get it back in running form.

My involvement was to get the engine unlocked from sitting since the current owner coudn't do it and the shop it's at now coudn't either - I did it as a favor for the shop owner and got it to start and run too, which is about where we are with it at this point. 
Pulled the radiator before I had to lay off working on it but will resume that next month so we can get it to the point of road testing to check things like the brakes, transmission and so on.

I have to assume your friend is familiar with the starting procedure for one; It's not as simple as just jumping in, turning the key and hitting the starter pedal to get it to start up.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Group B says hello.

Its not the performance, its the fact that when the R-32 came out, it was so far ahead of its time that it dominated the sport, nobody could touch Nissan in racing for years, many people called the R-32 a "Cheat Machine". Watch the video.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Just got this 1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STI RA. It needs a bit of work, but it's in pretty damn good shape, and had a lot of work done to it to make it more of a racing car, like a full roll cage.

IMG_3026.thumb.JPG.392f59140ec9bf0614aa662285043210.JPGIMG_3029.thumb.JPG.fd631e316fdb8ff3d9c9d054785b11b3.JPGIMG_3024.thumb.JPG.d17c0c4bb0330b5f5ec872f7ef589608.JPG

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 5/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, TVwazhere said:

Fun fact, tempered glass explodes when you bring it from a (relatively) cold garage and put it directly facing the sun. It wasn't even a day that breached over 70, and at 9am with all the windows cracked there was no heat in the car

-snip-

Also fun fact: $0 deductible on glass is great 

I learned a while back that this can actually happen at random, to any pane of glass, but it is more common on tempered glass, and the bigger it is, the higher the chances.

If the glass has any sort of imperfection that stresses it, it can cause it to eventually shatter days, months, even years after that glass pane/panel was created. 

Your iPad can literally just decide to explode while sitting on a shelf one day. (though I don't think this has ever happened and been recorded)

In any case the chances are small, so I guess you're lucky in a way! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:29 AM, Radium_Angel said:

I gotcha.

Depending on what you want to see/do...the western part of NY is very pretty

There is always Centralia PA.... 

Yeah I always have trouble with the "what do I want to do" part. Pretty much have to just go on an adventure or get someone else to come along and drag me into stuff. Lol

On 5/14/2023 at 6:35 PM, Beerzerker said:

Niagra Falls isn't a bad destination BUT do be warned if you go, while on the Canadian side to have your own water/drink with you before you cross over.

Why is this? If anything I'd think it'd be the opposite for some reason LOL

On 5/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

Check out some old factories / town in Pennsylvania

yawn suggestion

That's 2 votes for Pennsylvania. I've never even thought to go there! Must be something I didn't know I was missing out on.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:14 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

Good memory, I live in Fargo ND.

Honestly all the interesting stuff in ND/SD is on the western edge in the badlands area. That area is super cool, the rest of ND/SD is pretty unexciting if I'm honest. 

The badlands has a ton of awesome hiking and camping places, so if you're into that, it's great.

Certainly would be cool. Prob better if I brought some friends along and did a camping thing. I've never done that on my own... lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

That's 2 votes for Pennsylvania. I've never even thought to go there! Must be something I didn't know I was missing out on.

It's just a pretty area most times of the year. Some neat history stuff if you're in to that. Not the best roads though lol.

9 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Why is this? If anything I'd think it'd be the opposite for some reason LOL

Nope - Not according to the wife and she's been there before.
It's the same thing as when you go to the beach but you live inland, the water has a smell and taste that's not the same, in fact (To me) it's terrible but for those that live in these areas they don't notice it.

She said on the Canadian side it's like that, just terrible but on the US side it's different, much better for some reason.
I'd have to say if you're not used to it, be sure to take the advice and have some bottled water with you as long as you're on the Canadian side of it.
She said that was the only real downside of the visit, it was great otherwise.

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can vouch for PA as well. I've had to drive through nearly the entire state North east to South west, both highway and back roads for trips to visit my girlfriends friends, as well as a 400+ mile trip to drive a U haul with trailer (because U haul got me to take the thing for free out of PA) through narrow backroads that shared oncomming traffic with 18 wheelers.

I've never been more tense than watching the passenger side mirror looking at the trailers wheel be right on the edge of the road, as a fully loaded 18 wheeler does 45-50 on a 35mph road with no painted lines and in some spots no asphalt. 

I told my gf "if this was my ST I'd be having so much fun on these roads."

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Side note, got the chance to sit in a 1987 Pontiac Fiero Formula. 

image.png.82267839c54b837cd0784be3446ce1f3.png

*Former owner picture here, who sold it to my friend*

He invited me over to do some brake work on the car, and he's got all kinds of plans for it in the near-distant future. Only thing I didnt like is that the pedal assembly is pushed to the right to be more centered towards the car, so when he asked me to help him bleed the brakes I was pushing the clutch instead of the brake 🤦‍♂️

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Sometimes parts come with lil tiny fishnet stockings on them.

20230519_112909.jpg

On 5/7/2023 at 8:49 PM, benjibooji said:

I had the pleasure of taking my lad to work the other day, He thoroughly enjoyed it

Mr JWW uh
Quite an assortment of cars

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Woot. Learned the keyless entry on the new key+fob style key (fob in key head), now to get the key cut somewhere and I'm good to go, I can leave the original key and fob at home as the spares and use the new junk and have less pocket clutter to boot. It was one of those old timey key in and out twice, open and close the door, key in and out again, open and close the door twice, cycle the ignition key, etc. ZERO scan tool interface with the keyless entry on this car because of it's age and because it's a port/dealer keyless+alarm system not a factory part.

When its A/C season in the shop

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Eventful week.

Boss fell with an extension ladder

Customer stole their car from us and we reported it as stolen

We fired a customer who's "family" of the boss's wife

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Eventful week.

Boss fell with an extension ladder

Customer stole their car from us and we reported it as stolen

We fired a customer who's "family" of the boss's wife

Dayum. He alright tho?

My advisor effed up on a customer. Was a rodent damage harness and didn't communicate well with the customer (language barrier) and wasn't clear on having to get reimbursed through insurance. So who knows whats gonna happen with that one. Was like a 10 hour ticket because engine harness on the 1.5s are a nightmare. I've tried re-pinning and soldering but they usually come back with P0344 eventually. Managed it in 3 hours.

Them mice love to eat cam sensor A wiring on 1.5s. They will eat that particular connector flush, then screw off.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

9 hours ago, vetali said:

Dayum. He alright tho?

My advisor effed up on a customer. Was a rodent damage harness and didn't communicate well with the customer (language barrier) and wasn't clear on having to get reimbursed through insurance. So who knows whats gonna happen with that one. Was like a 10 hour ticket because engine harness on the 1.5s are a nightmare. I've tried re-pinning and soldering but they usually come back with P0344 eventually. Managed it in 3 hours.

Them mice love to eat cam sensor A wiring on 1.5s. They will eat that particular connector flush, then screw off.

Mostly seems OK-ish. So the building is a 2 story tall square with a 1 story square office inside of it like a tiny building in a big building, so there's a loft space we use for storage. Rather than stairs or a permanently attached ladder like we probably should have, we have a pretty beefy extension ladder that's also used for building maintenance. We had a handyman washing the building exterior in prep to repaint some areas, the floor under the ladder was wet with a strong soap, the ladder angle was bad, when he got on at the top to climb down he stepped onto it too high and it slid, he rode it down, it dropped about 7 feet but was slowed by the skidding feet and wall, landed on a couple extension cord reels at the base of the wall that broke his fall with the ladder. One of his knees or shin dented a ladder rung pretty badly, his knees and shoulders hurt.

IMG_1653.thumb.jpg.b94036cd803f6f4eb0984347af9e3123.jpg

Blackwinnnnnnnng!  Just picked it up last Friday.  Still working on the 500 mile break-in before I crack 'er open.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

8 hours ago, jasonvp said:

IMG_1653.thumb.jpg.b94036cd803f6f4eb0984347af9e3123.jpg

Blackwinnnnnnnng!  Just picked it up last Friday.  Still working on the 500 mile break-in before I crack 'er open.

Very very nice! 

Spoiler

9 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Just picked it up last Friday.

What is it? I can't tell.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

What is it? I can't tell.

Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing.  670HP, six-speed manual transmission, and just plain comical to drive.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Well I finally saw my car after months of insurance flip flopping on repairs...
this is where they decided it's a total loss.....after approving repairs and waiting for parts, only to have the shop return the parts after they arrived.
PXL_20230525_180436723.thumb.jpg.aa1bb0cf20b105da5bda69e8439a1b7b.jpg
Would love to buy it back just to keep the 400whp drivetrain to put in my sonoma, but insurance said the salvage value is still over 7,000.

So I'm just taking the payout on it of a little over 14k.
Sad to see the Pontiac go, but unfortunately they are becoming the new poster car for takeovers, and I'm not about that culture..
So I'll be upgrading to a Chevy SS, the exterior styling isn't nearly as aggressive and just looks like a generic Chevy corporate design.

but I do prefer the more modern interior, and they are still too expensive for the degenerates that participate in takeovers.

On 5/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, TVwazhere said:

Side note, got the chance to sit in a 1987 Pontiac Fiero Formula. 

image.png.82267839c54b837cd0784be3446ce1f3.png

*Former owner picture here, who sold it to my friend*

He invited me over to do some brake work on the car, and he's got all kinds of plans for it in the near-distant future. Only thing I didnt like is that the pedal assembly is pushed to the right to be more centered towards the car, so when he asked me to help him bleed the brakes I was pushing the clutch instead of the brake 🤦‍♂️

Two of the guys in my local "Holden fan boi club" also have 3800 SC swapped Fiero GTs.
Thew owner of this one built both, I think both cars are in the mid-high 300whp on Ethanol. would love to own one myself just don't have the room in the garage for another vintage GM pos 😂

DSC_6222.thumb.jpg.ba91562237be3f8add5ecd4959b68a0a.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Finally washed the Saab and got the Aero wheels on!

1685469142257.jpg

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.