Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've had two in the past, an RX-7 and a Protege5.

I enjoyed both. IIRC, they've divested themselves fully from Ford?

They sure have, thankfully

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've had two in the past, an RX-7 and a Protege5.

I enjoyed both. IIRC, they've divested themselves fully from Ford?

The newer stuff is, like gen 3 Mazda 3.

I liked my 2nd gen other than it being completely base model which didn't even have power locks. Handled well, at least until I got my Civic. You used to be able to get them for much less than equal Hondas and Toyotas... used car market has screwed that up unfortunately.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

The newer stuff is, like gen 3 Mazda 3.

I liked my 2nd gen other than it being completely base model which didn't even have power locks. Handled well, at least until I got my Civic. You used to be able to get them for much less than equal Hondas and Toyotas... used car market has screwed that up unfortunately.

My moms 2010's dash is melting, sadly she missed the goodwill recall by about 3 years because she didn't know about it and never mentioned it until it was really bad. She's got like 70,000 miles and it's garage kept but still melting and falling apart. Other than that, good car.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:25 PM, Radium_Angel said:

for you gentlemen who are savvy about such things.

In no particular order I am looking at the following vehicles. If you could say Yay or Nay (in general) I'd greatly appreciate it:

This assumes low miles (130k or less) no accidents, records, etc.

Honda Element

Hyundai Elantra GT

Suzuki Grand Vitara

Toyota/Scion iM

Honda Fit

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (assuming I can find without WITHOUT a CVT)

Volvo T5

Thoughts? Opinons? Solid substitutes?

The Element like some have mentioned have really hold their value, they are awesome all around cars if you can find a nice one. Reliable and practical if you need a larger vehicle. If not the Honda Fit has an awesome community behind it, they are super fun (and ugly but that's also what makes them fun 😛)and reliable. Little easier to find than the Element from what I have seen.

Had a Volvo with the Turbo 5cl and that was an amazing car, also reliable but they can be a pain and little expensive to work on and get parts for but IMO worth it.

You can't go wrong with the iM either though I think the Fit would be a little more fun if you got a manual, nothing beats a Honda manual. Auto though I would go with the Toyota/Scion.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

13 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm seeing that, holy cow are they overpriced...I mean I get that they are oddly functional inside (with the moveable seating etc) but it's not THAT unique...

13 hours ago, vetali said:

I say this at work a lot... and Si people.

I never got it either. Rather save some money and get a CR-V if I was looking at small Honda SUVs. I still say first gen Pilot is better if you really need AWD and don't care about MPGs. Just gotta look out for rust on them. 2nd gens have a lot of issues.

The Element got really big in the camping and car living community over the past while and they shot the prices up big time here in Colorado and I assume all over even.

The lack of a B pillar and ability to spray out the interior with a hose is pretty cool though! 

Personally not my kinda car but a cool/weird product from Honda

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

My moms 2010's dash is melting, sadly she missed the goodwill recall by about 3 years because she didn't know about it and never mentioned it until it was really bad. She's got like 70,000 miles and it's garage kept but still melting and falling apart. Other than that, good car.

Mine was okay at 120k when I traded in. I see it on a few 2nd gens that come in. Usually right by the MID hood. Seems hit or miss. Shame because I think that interior has aged quite well for how a lot of late 2000s and early 2010s interiors were. My blower motor was starting to make noise... you have to pull the dash to get to it lol.

39 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

The Element got really big in the camping and car living community over the past while and they shot the prices up big time here in Colorado and I assume all over even.

The lack of a B pillar and ability to spray out the interior with a hose is pretty cool though! 

Personally not my kinda car but a cool/weird product from Honda

Its neat for that stuff, and doesn't really have competition even to this day with overlanding being so popular now. We had a manual with like 80k miles back pre-covid and they sold it for like 20k in a few hours. Had a facelift with 120k miles that we sold for 18k to someone that flew over from Kansas (I'm in Washington) and drove it back. People love them. When they come into the shop its pretty much a guaranteed sell on any work.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Is there anyone here that has VW Erwin account that can help me out? I am bracing to do timing chain and engine/transmission mounts in my Polo but for the life of my I cannot find any good sources (other than one single video).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 hours ago, vetali said:

.-snip-

I definitely much prefer the way the face-lift ones looked personally, a manual one would be fun!

Have to admit I have an almost-irrational jonesing for the Kia EV9 right now. Yes, an electric three-row SUV. First... well, look at it:

image.thumb.jpeg.23ff902a62c4097a225bccc3571aaa48.jpeg

As a new parent, the thought of a slick-looking electric SUV that can carry my family and all its gear on a road trip is pretty appealing. That and Hyundai/Kia have a pretty good reputation for in-cabin tech.

Had my car sprayed for a few weeks now, and already have super deep damage (through my clear coats and 3 layers of yellow), looks like a kid smashes into it with their bicycle handlebars (looks like there was no rubber on them). Getting it fixed is gonna cost me a pretty penny, and I have no idea if I have enough paint left to get it done, otherwise I also have to buy new paint, which is never gonna look exactly the same. Oh and I have no idea who it was, so no insurance...

47 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Had my car sprayed for a few weeks now, and already have super deep damage (through my clear coats and 3 layers of yellow), looks like a kid smashes into it with their bicycle handlebars (looks like there was no rubber on them). Getting it fixed is gonna cost me a pretty penny, and I have no idea if I have enough paint left to get it done, otherwise I also have to buy new paint, which is never gonna look exactly the same. Oh and I have no idea who it was, so no insurance...

So irritating...I'm sorry

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 hours ago, Neroon said:

If you just had it done, if you get the paint from the same place, new paint from the same mixing scheme should be bang on. As you have some old paint but not sure you have enough or you are sure you don't have enough, get them to get some new and use that for the first two coats and then use your old paint on just the drop coat and it should be cock on.  

Pete

25 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

If you just had it done, if you get the paint from the same place, new paint from the same mixing scheme should be bang on. As you have some old paint but not sure you have enough or you are sure you don't have enough, get them to get some new and use that for the first two coats and then use your old paint on just the drop coat and it should be cock on.  

Yeah that's my plan, we will see though what they will say. 

Off to pick up a 2013 Suzuki Kizashi, wish me luck.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Going to second view a very tidy and low-mileage 650i Gran Coupe next week. 

IMG_18963-large.jpg

Med Blue 2016 FL M-Sport with ivory extended leather and Grey Poplar. Shadow line and 20" 373Ms. Not a massive spec car, but everything I'd want and the big ol' thing can bloody shift with a 445bhp twin turbo V8. Just need to figure out if I can fit it on the drive.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

Right, I forgot about the Car Enthusiast Club.

This is my current Car - a 2020 Honda Civic Si I picked up in Summer 2021 with just 9,000 miles on the clock for $18,000 (Utah USA).

I really like the car for its balance of economy and sportiness. Its definitely the best value sports car on planet Earth. With a tiny 1.5L TurboCharged Inline-4 it does surprisingly well and I have hit 140 MPH in it with no issues. And because of that tiny engine during normal driving it averages 35 MPG in town and about 40 MPG on the highway.

The most impressive thing by far tho is the handling. Borrowing the engineering from its bigger brother (Type-R: Worlds Fastest FWD Production Car on a track), this thing handles like an absolute Go-Cart driving on a road made of superglue. For the first time, Im actually getting scared of cornering speed and backing off before I can push it beyond its limits on the windy mountain roads. Never before have I seen an economical FWD car such as this pull the kind of cornering forces that this thing does.

To compliment its insane cornering I just replaced the worn-out tires recently with the new Generation Continental Extreme-Contact DWS-06-Plus. An extremely high-end UHP All-Season tire that handles similarly to bespoke summer tires on dry asphalt.

I love Honda's "Rallye Red" and it has the best looking exhaust tip ever made with these great factory-upgrade/optional 18" wheels which are actually quite rare as most buyers did not want to spend the extra $2000 when the default free option was already quite nice to begin with.

IMG_20210613_092503.thumb.jpg.938dcd6ff6ab4ac5947a712f98069a86.jpg

IMG_20210613_092732.thumb.jpg.924f52fa9666f88f7680ee5429d18989.jpg

IMG_20210613_095105.thumb.jpg.7e8a5c3cd9bcd0fe218a7d9f475a4a28.jpg

IMG_20210613_095121.thumb.jpg.07e04c7bd25f525fecd031a82a870d93.jpg

It was only $18,000 while similar examples in age and mileage were selling for $23,000-$24,500 and that is because some idiot crashed it. Don't worry, its not a Salvage Title, it has the Honda Warranty. Its simply cheaper because of the bad history and dirty CarFax.

Im surprised at how low they priced this car. There was no mechanical damage whatsoever in the accident (I saw pics and information on CarFax regarding the accident). It literally just got a new Front Bumper, Hood, and Headlights. That's literally IT.

They didn't even have to replace the radiator or Intercooler because there was simply no damage and having owned the car now for about 2 years and just passing the 32,000 mile mark this week, there have been no issues whatsoever.

Im confident at this point that I can forget about the warranty and begin modifications this Summer. Plans are fairly simple with an ACT Stage 1 Clutch + Light-Weight Flywheel kit, then Stage 1 Tune for 91 Octane with some supporting mods that should push me into the region of 240-250 BHP.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Get some real summer tires around 200 tread wear and you'll really be impressed with how it handles. The DWS are good but still a big compromise and only 500 wear.

42 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Get some real summer tires around 200 tread wear and you'll really be impressed with how it handles. The DWS are good but still a big compromise and only 500 wear.

I feel like 200 treadwear tires are a little too extreme, thanks to the whole 200tw tire rule for many street car competition events that made manufacturers basically make race tires and slap 200tw on the sidewall. And some of those tires are noisy. They aren't too great in the wet either, and they don't last at all.

He should get DW's, pilot sport 4's, extremecontact sport's, heck even firehawk indy 500's. I feel like those are the best balance for daily driven grippy tires.

I say this as someone who has some 200tw tires on his miata, but I do not daily drive that thing. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Get some real summer tires around 200 tread wear...

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

...but I do not daily drive that thing. Lol

BC got it right. I not only daily drive my car, its my ONLY car. I drive it in the snow, rain, and dry - all year long. Ive have even had it Off-Road (nothing too extreme of course just getting to a campsite). 200 Tread Race Tires simply won't do.

Ive already been in the snow on these Contis, they are pretty impressive considering how good they are in the dry - I mean I nearly maxed out the car's built-in G-Force Meter (settings on the dash) hitting about 1.3G in the mountains.

Bitter, explain to me how that isn't good enough for a little Civic Si, LOL

Current Build Thread:

I didn't know it was your daily, the DWS are an excellent daily tire. If you can swing it in the future for sure grab a second set of wheels and get some real sticky rubber on them. My Dunlop Z2's lasted about 20,000 miles to about 1/3 tread depth remaining, realistically could have gotten 25K out of them. The current Z3's are wearing even better despite a slightly more aggressive alignment and have more traction than the Z2's had. They're not the ultimate pinnacle of 200TW tire performance but they're pretty good. Not horribly loud, but some noise which is worse on very smooth roads (cement and polished asphalt), wet grip is good enough to be safe if you slow down in the rain (as you should do anyway), and they ride pretty well too.

And to boot, I turned around and sold my 1/3 depth Z2's for $100!

I had extreme contact sports on my Mazda. Those were about as aggressive as I'd go on the street. Wanted to try them on my Civic but I got rid of it before replacing the OEMs.

Personally I wouldn't modify a 1.5t because they make good enough street power and get great fuel economy, but I've also seen what happens when they are modified lol.

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Personally I wouldn't modify a 1.5t because they make good enough street power and get great fuel economy, but I've also seen what happens when they are modified lol.

To be honest ya its JUST enough to have some fun power-wise, but only JUST and thats why I want to mod it.

Besides, the modifications I have in mind actually do NOT increase fuel consumption whatsoever (under normal driving conditions anyways). Im not getting a bigger turbo or fuel injectors, rather tuning the car to its fullest extent on factory parts.

The Stage 1 91 Octane Tune simply advances timing a bit and allows the factory TurboCharger to boost to its maximum limit (Factory 17 PSI to 21-22 PSI on Stage 1). The advanced timing and other details can actually IMPROVE fuel economy ever so slightly with better cold-start behavior and the ability to get going with less throttle input.

Full Planned Mod List:

- Two-Step Performance K-Tuner V2.0 + Stage 1 Tune ($660)

- 27-WON Cold Air Intake ($400)

- 27-WON Turbo Inlet Pipe ($360)

- ACT Civic Si Stage 1 HD/Street Performance Clutch Kit with StreetLite Flywheel ($1020)

And thats literally it. The Si already comes with incredible suspension and a massive front-mount intercooler so there's literally no need or even want to upgrade anything else unless you are reaching for absurd racing-only power numbers.

Current Build Thread:

My only experience with a manual 10th gen non type r was a hatchback 6 speed. I thought it was good power wise. If I wanted more I'd get a type r.

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

My only experience with a manual 10th gen non type r was a hatchback 6 speed. I thought it was good power wise. If I wanted more I'd get a type r.

Ya even the standard (Non-Si) Civics are decent on power these days.

I mean ya, I would love a Type-R, if I could afford it lol 🤣. I barely had the budget for this thing, Im certainly not rich.

Plus Type-R's have rediculous markups way over MSRP, especially right now with the whole MSRP crysis going on in Automotive land where people are paying almost double MSRP for standard cars.

The Type-R is so desirable that many have soled USED for above MSRP around $50,000 lately. There is a report of a Texas man paying $100,000 for his Type-R due to dealer markups right now.

With 250 BHP in a smaller, lighter 2-Door Coupe package I would be looking at performance just slightly slower than the Type-R anyways, all for about $2500 all said and done, the cost of a good gaming PC.

Current Build Thread:

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Ya even the standard (Non-Si) Civics are decent on power these days.

I mean ya, I would love a Type-R, if I could afford it lol 🤣. I barely had the budget for this thing, Im certainly not rich.

Plus Type-R's have rediculous markups way over MSRP, especially right now with the whole MSRP crysis going on in Automotive land where people are paying almost double MSRP for standard cars.

The Type-R is so desirable that many have soled USED for above MSRP around $50,000 lately. There is a report of a Texas man paying $100,000 for his Type-R due to dealer markups right now.

With 250 BHP in a smaller, lighter 2-Door Coupe package I would be looking at performance just slightly slower than the Type-R anyways, all for about $2500 all said and done, the cost of a good gaming PC.

I was seriously considering a FL5 at 5k markup because I liked how it drove so much. Glad I didn't because I think the Integra type s will really shake up what Honda dealers can charge markup on a type r if they overproduce like they are with the regular Integra.

FK8s are fine, but I wouldn't pay over 35k for one used unless its an LE. The FL5 is a much better car.