Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, vetali said:

My S10 is the gift that keeps on giving. Fix one issue, or 5 of them in the recent case.... and the next just pops up. Haven't even driven it home from the shop since my Passport was fixed because its non stop issues. Can't wait to dump it.

Fuel pump, injectors, lower intake leaking, suspension, distributor, egr, oil leaks, did I miss something?

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Fuel pump, injectors, lower intake leaking, suspension, distributor, egr, oil leaks, did I miss something?

Its a 4 cylinder so that should scratch 3 of those things.

I did a fuel pump because the sending unit was bad. Ball joints, idler arm. Did some questionable fixes on some floorpan rust. New speakers, head unit. Then I did an oil change and crank sensor (had a code for it when I bought it, and I don't diagnose my own stuff... just aim the parts cannon). Now its got a miss on cylinder 3 preventing me from doing the crank relearn. Seems like a fuel injector but my trims aren't bad. So gonna check it for vacuum leaks and do an injector balance test.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Its a P/U, base manual 2WD. I am not familiar with the 4 cylinders at all. I used to work on a ton of the 4.3s. Solid engines, just everything around them was awful and impossible to seal properly

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

42 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its a P/U, base manual 2WD. I am not familiar with the 4 cylinders at all. I used to work on a ton of the 4.3s. Solid engines, just everything around them was awful and impossible to seal properly

I don't know why I had Blazer in my head, lets blame the time change.

The 2.2 cam in block engine (2200) is an absolute dog but pretty reliable. Worst thing I've seen are worn out timing chains slapping around really bad, besides lack of fluids issues. Is the cyl 3 misfire worse on a hot or cold engine? Better or worse at higher RPM? I haven't seen one with a bad injector or a burnt valve but I've also never seen one with a non ignition related misfire. Those coil packs and coil drivers under them were very common failures. Easy enough to clip a noid light onto the coil driver outputs and see if the driver module is working. I'd see them go bad on the V6 engines all the time causing either a couple dead cylinders or a crank no start from not passing through the CKP and/or CMP to the ECM. Usually a dead driver will fail 2 cylinders, so I'd lean more toward a bad coil or other ignition fail for a single cylinder misfire.

Although I have seen some with head gasket problems from overheating, they didn't take too kindly to that and it's usually pretty obvious what's going on when that's the fail. The heads warp and they'll often leak coolant externally pretty badly as well as a loss of compression. Had one customer with an overheat and external leak and I just cranked the bolts I could easily reach back down, told them good luck, and sent them on their way. Towed in and drove out, but no idea for how long it ran after that. Car wasn't even worth the coolant we poured in it.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I don't know why I had Blazer in my head, lets blame the time change.

The 2.2 cam in block engine (2200) is an absolute dog but pretty reliable. Worst thing I've seen are worn out timing chains slapping around really bad, besides lack of fluids issues. Is the cyl 3 misfire worse on a hot or cold engine? Better or worse at higher RPM? I haven't seen one with a bad injector or a burnt valve but I've also never seen one with a non ignition related misfire. Those coil packs and coil drivers under them were very common failures. Easy enough to clip a noid light onto the coil driver outputs and see if the driver module is working. I'd see them go bad on the V6 engines all the time causing either a couple dead cylinders or a crank no start from not passing through the CKP and/or CMP to the ECM. Usually a dead driver will fail 2 cylinders, so I'd lean more toward a bad coil or other ignition fail for a single cylinder misfire.

Although I have seen some with head gasket problems from overheating, they didn't take too kindly to that and it's usually pretty obvious what's going on when that's the fail. The heads warp and they'll often leak coolant externally pretty badly as well as a loss of compression. Had one customer with an overheat and external leak and I just cranked the bolts I could easily reach back down, told them good luck, and sent them on their way. Towed in and drove out, but no idea for how long it ran after that. Car wasn't even worth the coolant we poured in it.

Its worse at idle. Driving it hardly picks up misfires unless I really upshift and lug it hard. Can get a couple pops out the exhaust if I let it idle a bit and rev it to like 2k and hold it. Tried swapping plug wires around since its waste spark. No change. Checked plugs which are new, #3 was pretty wet but I still can't smell fuel so not sure if it was fuel soaked. Talked to my buddy that works at GM, apparently leaking fuel injectors is common on these. Given the new fuel pump its possible I just had low fuel pressure before which masked the issue.

Fuel trims are throwing me off which is why I am gonna smoke test it. I lose HVAC settings when going up hills due to it losing vacuum, so thats why I suspect a vacuum leak somewhere around the reservoir which is a treat to get to on the 4 cylinders. Plus those two tests don't take much time to perform. You can do an injector balance test with the scan tool in 10 mins. Same with a smoke test. Hooking the scope to the CKP and CMP is a bit longer, and I don't want to suspect an ignition issue until I test those two things.

Zero coolant consumption. Relative compression seems okay. I will do compression and leak down if the previous test don't narrow down things.

22 hours ago, vetali said:

Its worse at idle. Driving it hardly picks up misfires unless I really upshift and lug it hard. Can get a couple pops out the exhaust if I let it idle a bit and rev it to like 2k and hold it. Tried swapping plug wires around since its waste spark. No change. Checked plugs which are new, #3 was pretty wet but I still can't smell fuel so not sure if it was fuel soaked. Talked to my buddy that works at GM, apparently leaking fuel injectors is common on these. Given the new fuel pump its possible I just had low fuel pressure before which masked the issue.

Fuel trims are throwing me off which is why I am gonna smoke test it. I lose HVAC settings when going up hills due to it losing vacuum, so thats why I suspect a vacuum leak somewhere around the reservoir which is a treat to get to on the 4 cylinders. Plus those two tests don't take much time to perform. You can do an injector balance test with the scan tool in 10 mins. Same with a smoke test. Hooking the scope to the CKP and CMP is a bit longer, and I don't want to suspect an ignition issue until I test those two things.

Zero coolant consumption. Relative compression seems okay. I will do compression and leak down if the previous test don't narrow down things.

We have had a couple Ford in that lost HVAC on hills or hard acceleration, bad seals in the control head were common on those, haven't seen that on a GM yet but if you don't find anything under hood can't hurt to t in a gauge at the control head.

We have a 2009 Camry 2.4 that's pouring white smoke. Blots out the whole street when you rev it. Also has no brakes, brake fluid is empty. And a cyl 1 misfire code. Take a guess at what one failure caused all 3 problems? 👍

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

We have had a couple Ford in that lost HVAC on hills or hard acceleration, bad seals in the control head were common on those, haven't seen that on a GM yet but if you don't find anything under hood can't hurt to t in a gauge at the control head.

We have a 2009 Camry 2.4 that's pouring white smoke. Blots out the whole street when you rev it. Also has no brakes, brake fluid is empty. And a cyl 1 misfire code. Take a guess at what one failure caused all 3 problems? 👍

My blazer was like that. It would make a hiss noise on certain settings. One of those super expensive control units too.

Ye olde failed master cylinder leaking into the booster?

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

My blazer was like that. It would make a hiss noise on certain settings. One of those super expensive control units too.

Ye olde failed master cylinder leaking into the booster?

Yeah, ye olde. The fake head gasket.

On the Ford heads you can replace the o-rings pretty easy. I've done a couple, like 20 minutes.

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yeah, ye olde. The fake head gasket.

On the Ford heads you can replace the o-rings pretty easy. I've done a couple, like 20 minutes.

I don't think you could on the chevys.

I've been stuck in a rut of really dumb misfire diags lately. Every one has had aftermarket coils. I am about to put my foot down and say if its got aftermarket coils, it needs OEMs substituted as first step. One was an Odyssey, now I have an Accord that might actually need a fuel injector but who knows. All the coils are autozone coils.

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Get in the zone, autozone

image.jpeg.3addcb529795260eafbd348165f1f156.jpeg

At least when you get a code from their shit parts, they'll scan your code for free!

22 minutes ago, vetali said:

At least when you get a code from their shit parts, they'll scan your code for free!

Yay! I'd throw confetti but all I've got is shiny metal bits in oil.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

I don't think you could on the chevys.

I've been stuck in a rut of really dumb misfire diags lately. Every one has had aftermarket coils. I am about to put my foot down and say if its got aftermarket coils, it needs OEMs substituted as first step. One was an Odyssey, now I have an Accord that might actually need a fuel injector but who knows. All the coils are autozone coils.

I see this all the time, someone has it 'diagnosed at the parts store' and installs all the cheapest parts so now I need to not only find the original issue but also figure out if these other problems are problems or just bad new parts or what. Need a 'if you already tried an fix it yourself diag is double' policy.

Oh, boss's son-in-law's 18 Accord 1.5 turbo is still intermittently throwing a cyl1 misfire code. Now it misfires on start sometimes. It's going to need an injector, but boss wants to try some snake oil in the tank first.

59 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I see this all the time, someone has it 'diagnosed at the parts store' and installs all the cheapest parts so now I need to not only find the original issue but also figure out if these other problems are problems or just bad new parts or what. Need a 'if you already tried an fix it yourself diag is double' policy.

Oh, boss's son-in-law's 18 Accord 1.5 turbo is still intermittently throwing a cyl1 misfire code. Now it misfires on start sometimes. It's going to need an injector, but boss wants to try some snake oil in the tank first.

Gotta do them as a set. They are flow rated. You can try some top end cleaner but its usually a temp fix.

6 hours ago, vetali said:

Gotta do them as a set. They are flow rated. You can try some top end cleaner but its usually a temp fix.

It's not super consistent yet, I suggested we wait until it's more often so we can pin it down to be sure. It'll set code like once every 20k miles maybe but we felt it miss without setting a code twice on cold start. Meh. Not my problem haha 😅

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

It's not super consistent yet, I suggested we wait until it's more often so we can pin it down to be sure. It'll set code like once every 20k miles maybe but we felt it miss without setting a code twice on cold start. Meh. Not my problem haha 😅

I've heard of head gasket issues on them, haven't seen it in person though. 99% of the time its leaking injectors. Be sure to check the oil for fuel after injector replacement, or just change it. You will find fuel trims bout to set rich codes before that due to how much fuel gets in the oil.

4 hours ago, vetali said:

I've heard of head gasket issues on them, haven't seen it in person though. 99% of the time its leaking injectors. Be sure to check the oil for fuel after injector replacement, or just change it. You will find fuel trims bout to set rich codes before that due to how much fuel gets in the oil.

I'll try and check trims when we see it again, good thinking. I've used that on VW and GM's with leaky HPFP but didn't remember it for this Honda until you brought it up. I don't remember oil being fuely but I didn't do the oil change and can't recall if I checked it before the oil change. I usually do, boss usually does not. Actually I try to check oil and coolant before starting a car just to cover my ass.

New here, used to own, and restore, mid-'60's - early '70's muscle Cars as a Hobby. ( and Drive them ) Did a bit of racing too. I'll come back sometime with some pictures. I'm retired now and build, what I think is, the equivalent of Muscle Cars in Retro, Semi Flagship Computers. Majority of them are from 2017, give or take a year or two. As for cars, '66 Mustang Conv.,'68, '69, '70,' 72 Nova's, '68 Javelin, '69, '70, '72, '75 Camaro's '72 Z28, '82 Z28 ( Street / Strip) but that's all in the past. Now I keep my hands clean building Models ( computers )

Lower intake on this old VG33E was seized, shockingly I'm not sure heat and quench helped. Air hammer on the studs got it tho, walked the rust right up out of the holes.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'll try and check trims when we see it again, good thinking. I've used that on VW and GM's with leaky HPFP but didn't remember it for this Honda until you brought it up. I don't remember oil being fuely but I didn't do the oil change and can't recall if I checked it before the oil change. I usually do, boss usually does not. Actually I try to check oil and coolant before starting a car just to cover my ass.

You can usually see fuel trims correct in a few mins by pinching off the PCV hose. Honda V6s allegedly have HPFP issues too, but I've never seen it personally.

33 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Lower intake on this old VG33E was seized, shockingly I'm not sure heat and quench helped. Air hammer on the studs got it tho, walked the rust right up out of the holes.

I have some PTSD from those shitbox engines.

I think I figured out that Accord misfire. Ran compression, 5 and 6 were down a few pounds but nothing to be concerned about for how bad its missing. Leak down test showed nothing. Tried the new fuel injectors with no change (actually made it worse). I will give you a chance to guess, but I had to yolo search our techline forums and found a thread of lots of people having this issue after a part replacement. The fix is ungodly expensive.

40 minutes ago, vetali said:

You can usually see fuel trims correct in a few mins by pinching off the PCV hose. Honda V6s allegedly have HPFP issues too, but I've never seen it personally.

I have some PTSD from those shitbox engines.

I think I figured out that Accord misfire. Ran compression, 5 and 6 were down a few pounds but nothing to be concerned about for how bad its missing. Leak down test showed nothing. Tried the new fuel injectors with no change (actually made it worse). I will give you a chance to guess, but I had to yolo search our techline forums and found a thread of lots of people having this issue after a part replacement. The fix is ungodly expensive.

All I work on are shit like this kind of. Rarely anything newer than 5 years old, mostly 10+ years old. I've gotten good at dealing with stuff seized like this. The air hammer worked great, amazing how it just liquefied the rust into mud with the WD-40. The air hammer socket adapter is one the best niche tools I've bought. Also, 3 of 6 injectors check out bad ohms. I'm going to bring my ultrasonic cleaner and clean the other 3 so there's a chance in hell it's getting even flow between all 6.

Is it that VCM cylinder re-ring and valve clearance adjustment thing? Burnt valve? I don't even remember which car lol!

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Is it that VCM cylinder re-ring and valve clearance adjustment thing? Burnt valve? I don't even remember which car lol!

Yeah its VCM but 5 and 6 are specifically non VCM cylinders. I have some misfires on 4 while cold but not a lot.