Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 2/17/2023 at 2:56 AM, Bitter said:

Rust may be gone, but you may still have pitting that can scratch pistons and catch on rings if it was that badly stuck. Better safe than sorry! How's the bottom of the pan and oil pickup look? Sludged or clean? Again, tiny camera to the rescue. Why assume and guess when you can just see!

Photo_20230216154842.thumb.jpg.620271facb1cb635744b5ac48bfb854a.jpg

This is the pickup from an engine I worked on yesterday. Last 1/4 qt of oil I drained was very slow and gooey, plop plop kind of an affair. I rodded around the bottom of the pan a little with some coat hanger to get the lumpy oil to drain, sprayed in some solvent and air a couple times to clear up that last bit of thick oil, then took a look. I was relieved to see a clean oil pickup and fairly clean pan bottom. Now I KNOW it's not clogged rather than assuming it's not clogged and a possibly ticking time bomb.

EDIT:
Edited for accuracy.

Note there is no fuel pump, it's 100% gravity fed from the tank so that's what we are working with. The carb will need to be cleaned out due to a sticking float/needle valve but it's such a simply made unit that should be a snap.
Besides, I'm not the owner or shop owner either and the owner of it did say to unstick it and get it running "As is" if at all possible.... So that's what I did.

As for anything else, just know these older engines laugh off what would kill more modern engines anyway and that's just a fact of it. Pitting that doesn't actually snag and break a ring doesn't bother them at all because they are looser tolerance, low compression engines to start with (6:1 or so) and since we turned it over as we did to prevent ring breakage, any such pitting has already been dealt with, now that it has been ran.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

My BMW is finally getting spray painted soon, was planning to get it wrapped, but seeing as I'm getting new bumpers and side skirts, they needed to be painted anyway + some body work, so figured I might as well get the whole thing painted.

I went with Speed Yellow, it is a BMW color, but a very exclusive color, and not part of their standard available colors. To be clear I didn't go for it because of exclusivity, but because it's a fantastic color.

It's gonna be painted on my E93 (3 series hardtop convertible).

This is a 4 series painted with the color. And yes I'm going all black for all details etc.

pzwd2e8ax0551.thumb.jpg.e959870fcd29c5c87857f66bae813a28.jpg

I spent a few hours earlier today running new wires in my Yukon.  Put in a dash cam that also has a rear camera.  Had to run the camera coax above the headliner to get it from the overhead console to the back window.  All kinds of fun but it's up and working so thats a good thing.

IMG_20230218_144041797_HDR[1].jpg

While I save to upgrade from my daily driver (Nissan 370GT aka Infinity G37) to a car i've had my eye on for some time, and my Skyline is currently waiting for more parts.

I finally got myself a bike. The last time I rode was back when in about 2001 when i was a kid, which was Ninja 400's and Quads (since I live in NZ). I never had a license though, so I got my Motorcycle Learners..unfortunately in NZ youre restricted to what you can ride until you're on your full. The maximum is a 666cc, and you're also power restricted. 

So few months back at the end of last year I got myself a 2022 Kawasaki Ninja 650. 

So far what ive done:

• Removed the throttle restricter (limits it to about 60% throttle)
  • High flow airfilter
  • Black Ninja 650 Radiator Grill
  • ASV Gold adjustable short levers
  • Gold Swingarm spools
  • Gold Ninja 650 leg plates
  • Gold accented sliders
  • Black adjustable billet footpegs for Rider & Pillion
  • LED front indicators with running light mod (and wired in a switch to turn them on/off)
  • LED rear indicators with R&G Tail tidy
  • QuadLock mount with dampener and Wireless Charger
  • Ninja 650 DC Power Outlet with Aukey 30W USB-C/USB-A dual charger

Got a smoked windshield on its way ( not a fan of the clear), and still want to get a better exhaust...looking at the Two Brothers S1R Black Carbon

image.thumb.png.4422a46dbbcb4af64d4c718c6b22f37d.png

image.thumb.png.9a74ad875cd9dc6236ed07333d5c5d9b.png

image.thumb.png.f8cbd95e5586418ca202dc2a80a8c27d.png

Can see the switch here that I ran to put the running lights on a relay and be able to switch them off to put the indicators back to 'stock' 

image.thumb.png.dc278ab3900ac03ce3914e0a3adb47c9.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Ultrasonic cleaner and solution inbound to clean the 2AZ-FE injectors before I swap them into my Celica before driving season starts this year.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:24 AM, Bitter said:

Ultrasonic cleaner and solution inbound to clean the 2AZ-FE injectors before I swap them into my Celica before driving season starts this year.

I bought a Hornady Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner a few years ago and it has been much more useful that I ever thought.

Pete

5 hours ago, 711jrp said:

I bought a Hornady Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner a few years ago and it has been much more useful that I ever thought.

I had solution already hot and barely dirty from the injectors, decided to toss in some old spark plugs. Yep, it works. 10 minutes.

IMG_20230222_132803.jpg

IMG_20230222_131123.jpg

Let’s play guess the year. Does this count for this thread? Traded my 2023 dodge ram work truck in for this for the day at work. Was good to get out of the office. 

Spoiler

1735E864-F23E-412E-9F90-EDBFC6EFAA33.thumb.jpeg.f0d708c9598a091e7354e8de85843d7e.jpeg7F9DA21F-605C-4F86-BBC5-6E9FD24FE5FF.thumb.jpeg.8be7bd4aa2acb1ec6a8585daf2ce39ca.jpeg

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

23 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'm going to say mid 70's since it has what looks like a safety button.

That big red button? Park brake. 
To give everyone else a hint, it’s amazing how much older mining equipment looks than it actually is. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That big red button? Park brake. 
To give everyone else a hint, it’s amazing how much older mining equipment looks than it actually is. 

Safety button lol

Ok 2008.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Safety button lol

Ok 2008.

7 years too new. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

17 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

7 years too new. 

We had a 3yr old F150 in from a power plant once. Had 5,000 miles on it. WOW, it was rotted out so badly and just caked in cement and coke and lord knows what else.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

I had solution already hot and barely dirty from the injectors, decided to toss in some old spark plugs. Yep, it works. 10 minutes.

-snip-

Use this one weird trick to never replace your spark plugs again!

But seriously, ultrasonic cleaning machines are the best.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

We had a 3yr old F150 in from a power plant once. Had 5,000 miles on it. WOW, it was rotted out so badly and just caked in cement and coke and lord knows what else.

I wish I could of found a way to visit the salt mine while I was working at Tabasco. They take apart cars and bring them down there, piece by piece lol

I asked around but never got anywhere. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Use this one weird trick to never replace your spark plugs again!

But seriously, ultrasonic cleaning machines are the best.

I wish I could of found a way to visit the salt mine while I was working at Tabasco. They take apart cars and bring them down there, piece by piece lol

I asked around but never got anywhere. 

You’ll find mines that do that too. Shaft mines will do it. If a kicker can’t fit, liquid torch so it’ll fit down the shaft then weld it back together underground. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

My milling machine is a little out of spec but I cut some pockets for the hardware and tools, hopefully enough room to work with.

IMG_20230223_133741.jpg

@Bitter It's confession time - I believe I was wrong about a Model A not having an oil pump, seems they do after all.

It's true they don't have an oil filter or provision for it BUT after doing more research I did discover there is an oil pump in the engine after all. 🥴
My previous has been edited to prevent any misinformation from being gleaned from it as "Fact" when it's not.

Today we will be changing the oil for preparation of an extended run once we get the radiator checked, water pump lubed/greased and the carburator cleaned and remounted. I personally will be looking at the oil as it drains to check for signs of trouble, I doubt there will be but you never know either. As long as there aren't any bits chunks or excessive "Silver" coming out it should be OK but if any of that is observed we'll have to drop the pan and see what's up.

A little bit of a silvery look/residue in the oil itself is normal but when it looks like you have a silver mine in full production, it's time to go in and see what's up.

I did learn when dropping the oil pan you have to use a threaded insert tool in the side of the block where the oil pump is to keep the oil pump itself from dropping when the pan is removed so we'd have to get or make one of those tools.
Take time to fully drain the oil since some normally stays in the motor (About a quart), clean the pan and so on - If we do drop it that's what and how we'll go at it.

The owner as said didn't want anything unneccesary done and for us to get it running, which has been done... But at the same time if it's a problem or has any signs of such we'll tackle it and be done with it.
Right now the focus is for it to run for a length of time so it gets to temperature and so on, you can't really tell much from just 30 seconds of runtime you know except that it runs.... For now anyway until it's really tested.
Nope - Can't let it slide that way.

Will update things as they progress.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Bore scope camera for your phone man, like $30 for one with a front and side lens will let you see soooo much inside the engine. Rather than assuming or guessing you'll have picture proof that it's fine or it's fucked. 👍 And that can come in handy in the future if someone tries to raise a stink.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Bore scope camera for your phone man, like $30 for one with a front and side lens will let you see soooo much inside the engine. Rather than assuming or guessing you'll have picture proof that it's fine or it's fucked. 👍 And that can come in handy in the future if someone tries to raise a stink.

My Uncle has been a mechanic for all his life and he uses a cheap little snake cam that he got off'f Amazon years ago.  He just plugs it in the bottom of his phone and opens the app for it and he can record 1080p 60 vids from it with ease.  it even has a ring light around the lens

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Need to trim one end a bit but I think I can get it to work out! I'll weld it up Monday on lunch, grind it down smooth, and get it all painted here at home.

Injector seals came so I can get those hopefully swapped this weekend, aftermarket seals look a little different so I'm not 100% sure they'll work out. I might have to order dealer parts.

20230223_222807.jpg

Just now, SimplyChunk said:

My Uncle has been a mechanic for all his life and he uses a cheap little snake cam that he got off'f Amazon years ago.  He just plugs it in the bottom of his phone and opens the app for it and he can record 1080p 60 vids from it with ease.  it even has a ring light around the lens

Yes. They're a lifesaver! I love the new ones with side cameras so you can look sideways.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

My phone can't be used that way (It's an older flip phone) so if that's done, myself or the shop owner would need an actual bore/scope cam to see what's up.
I know where I can borrow one though and will get that if there is any evidence of some real fuckery going on.

ATM it's going with the plan of attack and moving on from there.

Once we get the previous done, it's on to see if the clutch and brakes are OK.
The clutch AND brakes are all mechanical so it's really not expected for those adjustments to be "Off" since it was a properly running, driving car when parked years ago. We do plan on seeing if it will move today if possible and go from there.
Just testing all that to be sure all is working OK and only diving in if we have to - Which is possible if a brake for example is sticking or the clutch is sticking itself.

Checking the gearbox oil, differential lube, wheel bearing lube and the seals for each associated is part of the plan too of course, can't forget about all that.

I will try and remember to record a video of it running and post that later if I do get a vid of it.