Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Some of those aren't terrible but I 1000% suggest you flush the engine out thoroughly with fresh oil or even kerosene then a few flushes of oil. The $1 a dozen Chinese engines on those things are not made in clean conditions and are often chock full of debris from manufacturing. That often leads to their premature 'death by 1000 paper cuts' due to damage to bearings, cylinder bores, and pistons which cause long term problems. It may even be worth it to take it apart, clean it manually, then reassemble it. It'll give you a chance to see how it comes apart, works, and goes together which is good to know. If it's a 2 stroke you'll want to run it a little richer on the oil mix for the first 100 or so miles so there's extra lube while the rings seat. If it's a 4 stroke you'll want to change the oil prematurely twice to remove break in debris, they often leave a very rough finish on the cylinders and there's a lot of metal filings made from the rings and cylinder wearing in together. Either way you'll want to let the engine run for a minimum of about 20 minutes with some idle, some gentle increase and decrease in speed, and a few throttle blips BEFORE you go out for a ride. This is for a couple reasons, it'll let the engine start break-in before you load it up and hammer on it and 2ndly if something breaks out of the box it's at home and not 20 minutes away. Most of those engines have readily available parts and some not terrible performance parts, larger cylinder/piston kits which not only increase displacement but also compression, better CDI boxes which have more aggressive ignition timing or stronger spark, bigger carbs with better jet selection, better exhaust, etc.

Good to know. 

I'll definitely get my hands dirty and try to do as much care as I can to get it to last. 

Thanks! 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:33 PM, handymanshandle said:

Welp on monday I ordered a Ford Maverick. Woo!

qwasoz.png

Well it’s been a few months… I don’t think Ford is going to be able to build that Maverick which is fine. Now I’m thinking about possibly seeing what I could swing late this year early next. 
I’m thinking either a new Mazda3, a new Corolla, or a new Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L. We’re just going to have to see.

I think a new Camry might be on the horizon seeing as every other Toyota got the radio updated but the Camry didn’t, that’ll be interesting.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

17 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Well it’s been a few months… I don’t think Ford is going to be able to build that Maverick which is fine. Now I’m thinking about possibly seeing what I could swing late this year early next. 
I’m thinking either a new Mazda3, a new Corolla, or a new Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L. We’re just going to have to see.

I think a new Camry might be on the horizon seeing as every other Toyota got the radio updated but the Camry didn’t, that’ll be interesting.

They still can’t build them things? 

I’ve been seeing more of them on the road. But yeah I remember they announced them and like no one could buy one lol.. 

The mini pickup truck is still a myth! XD 

2018+ honda accords are underrated (at least on the interior) IMO. Especially the more loaded models. Super nice interiors, and they were the first to get their new infotainment and all that. I just hate the CVT’s. But I hate every cvt lol 

though the new Camry will be interesting considering Toyota’s new CEO insisting on “no more boring cars!” Which granted, I do like the new tundra’s, and the corolla GR is pretty neat, but the BZ4X thing is stupid lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

23 bolts, 4 different kinds, 2 different Torx bit sizes. Thanks Alfa Romeo!

There is a wizards spell to cure this

Yeetus deletis

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

7 hours ago, vetali said:

There is a wizards spell to cure this

Yeetus deletis

We don't do that here. That's some jiffy lube bullshit.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

We don't do that here. That's some jiffy lube bullshit.

Nah jiffy lube will reinstall it with half the bolts, most in the wrong place and rounded off due to using a 3/4" impact on them.

The old tech we had used to chuck the skid plates on all the used cars during inspection. Thing is, he kept a ton of them behind his toolbox. So when he moved his tool box like 30 aluminum Honda skid plates, with a few of those nightmare hyundai ones fell while everyone was looking.

My personal rigs though? Yeetus deletis

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Nah jiffy lube will reinstall it with half the bolts, most in the wrong place and rounded off due to using a 3/4" impact on them.

The old tech we had used to chuck the skid plates on all the used cars during inspection. Thing is, he kept a ton of them behind his toolbox. So when he moved his tool box like 30 aluminum Honda skid plates, with a few of those nightmare hyundai ones fell while everyone was looking.

We just add .5 and still come in cheaper and more convenient than the dealership for this guy. $1 a bolt out and $1 a bolt in! LOL. We're actually pretty picky about keeping all the cladding on cars as much as possible. If it came in with it, it should leave with it.

3 hours ago, vetali said:

You would think someone would engineer a better way to attach/detach the things by now the plastic always breaks where the bolts are and they are too time consuming to remove/reinstall a lot of the time 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hyundai's have access covers over just the filter and drain. It's the literal one thing they seem to have done correctly on their vehicles.

How do people drive like this? I cleaned one side, all the rest of the glass is like the passenger side.

IMG_20230131_135129.jpg

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

We just add .5 and still come in cheaper and more convenient than the dealership for this guy. $1 a bolt out and $1 a bolt in! LOL. We're actually pretty picky about keeping all the cladding on cars as much as possible. If it came in with it, it should leave with it.

Thats fair. I don't mind that, but when manufacturers are paying .3 for LOF + inspection... then add a 20 bolt skid plate, its a bit crazy.

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

You would think someone would engineer a better way to attach/detach the things by now the plastic always breaks where the bolts are and they are too time consuming to remove/reinstall a lot of the time 

Honda is terrible now. Those cheesy aluminum skid plates that if you have one piece of dirt in between it and where it seats then the clip wont go in. Forget it if the customer hits something with it. Thing gets all bent and torn.

BMW is about the best. Theres a single bolt to a flap that overlaps with the main skid plate. Pull that bolt and the flap, and the drain plug is right there facing down.

Waited 2 weeks before posting to make sure the thing was going to behave itself but got a new to me truck.  Sold my old 2012 Chevy Suburban and picked up a 2020 GMC Yukon XL Denali.  It's nice to have a newish much lower mileage daily driver again.

IMG_20230106_163419803_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230106_163433119_HDR.jpg

24 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Hyundai anti theft, park a old Saturn in front of them.

Double bonus if the Saturn is a manual transmission.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Double bonus if the Saturn is a manual transmission.

I wish!

Have y’all ever seen an alignment so bad/thrown off on an 18k mile car? 

this is my dad’s a8. He had a flat this morning and came to find out All 4 tires were like this lol

so 4 tires and $3500 later(life with 21” wheels on a car 🙄) …. I told him he needs to go get that alignment checked immediately or he’ll be dropping another $3500 again soon 

AA42D59D-6A17-4816-AA23-779F95DBA8FE.jpeg

Spoiler

Probably has some worn out parts causing it to be that bad out of spec, be careful as lots of places will do an alignment and gladly send you out the door with shit so worn out the alignment is back out of spec the moment they roll off the rack.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Probably has some worn out parts causing it to be that bad out of spec, be careful as lots of places will do an alignment and gladly send you out the door with shit so worn out the alignment is back out of spec the moment they roll off the rack.

He’s bringing it to Audi 

if there’s something wrong it’s a CPO warranty problem 

Spoiler

On 1/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, bcredeur97 said:

They still can’t build them things? 

I’ve been seeing more of them on the road. But yeah I remember they announced them and like no one could buy one lol.. 

The mini pickup truck is still a myth! XD 

2018+ honda accords are underrated (at least on the interior) IMO. Especially the more loaded models. Super nice interiors, and they were the first to get their new infotainment and all that. I just hate the CVT’s. But I hate every cvt lol 

though the new Camry will be interesting considering Toyota’s new CEO insisting on “no more boring cars!” Which granted, I do like the new tundra’s, and the corolla GR is pretty neat, but the BZ4X thing is stupid lol 

Yeah the hybrid is the main constrained thing for the Maverick. 
so yeah strongly considering a Mazda3

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

On 1/31/2023 at 8:09 PM, Bitter said:

How do people drive like this? I cleaned one side, all the rest of the glass is like the passenger side.

I don't understand either, having my windscreen dirty annoys me so much.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

@Beerzerker

I had a 1976 TVR 2500, all the electrical bit were grounded at two posts which jutted out from the firewall, just underneath where the engine hood met the body line.

Fantastic since there was no environmental sealing there, so come any amount of rain....

everything goes dark.

Lucas, Lord of Darkness 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

what do yall think about mercedes killing off their coupes and wagons

24 minutes ago, astn22 said:

what do yall think about mercedes killing off their coupes and wagons

PikaGasp by shoushiroll - FrankerFaceZ