Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Who likes hand drawn wiring diagrams?

IMG_20221227_163156.thumb.jpg.502fa78f068493b1fa7e32ad2913ff74.jpg

I'm going to redraw it more neatly with better pictures, this was just a quick sketch out to double check myself before I wreck myself. Added a carb with electric choke to a car that had a hot air choke with a bad carb that's just not worth it to rebuild at this point. Circuit is only 1.5 amps but I didn't want it just spliced into an existing circuit due to how old the wiring is, I just do not trust any extra amps on these old wires and fuses.

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

No kidding! We don't weld much on cars but it's handy to know for when we do.

Oh I loved Oxy/Acet in highschool, I can still torch weld which is getting to be a lost art these days and let me tell you, knowing torch welding gives you a HUGE leg up when it comes time to pick up TIG. It's basically the same thing! I can torch weld in every position except upside down and even then I might be able to, just never tried.

I taught myself how to braze, it's a handy skill to have when you need it.
Being able to cut a good line in something with a torch is another artform I had to work on for a long time - By the time I was getting good with it my health went downhill and I just can't do like I used to, but betcha if I had to I could still do a good cut on a piece that's easy to weld to.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

-snips-

That's way better than the ones I do :'D

28 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I taught myself how to braze, it's a handy skill to have when you need it.
Being able to cut a good line in something with a torch is another artform I had to work on for a long time - By the time I was getting good with it my health went downhill and I just can't do like I used to, but betcha if I had to I could still do a good cut on a piece that's easy to weld to.

I can’t cut paper in a straight line with scissors 

how you expect me to do the same with metal and a torch xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 12/21/2022 at 11:19 AM, Dillpickle23422 said:

Recently purchased this 1998 k1500 for 3500 dollars, with the silverado and z71 package, 5.7l v8. Needs an oil change and an alignment, but other than that, everything's flawless. It's quite red lmao! I posted this on my updates too but I saw that this thread was here so ima post it here too! Has some cosmetic flaws and the windshield sprayers don't work, but a trip to the junkyard should get me all the parts I need to get it looking as good as it can get.

Always love some GMT400 goodness

Here's our farm truck

20190421_175632.jpg

20190421_185023.jpg

20190421_185600.jpg

20190421_185730.jpg

20190421_185754.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Whats a straight line

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 12/27/2022 at 7:57 PM, bcredeur97 said:

how you expect me to do the same with metal and a torch?

Very carefully.... 😁

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 12/27/2022 at 6:48 PM, Bitter said:

IMG_20221227_163156.thumb.jpg.502fa78f068493b1fa7e32ad2913ff74.jpg

I'm going to redraw it more neatly with better pictures, this was just a quick sketch out to double check myself before I wreck myself. Added a carb with electric choke to a car that had a hot air choke with a bad carb that's just not worth it to rebuild at this point. Circuit is only 1.5 amps but I didn't want it just spliced into an existing circuit due to how old the wiring is, I just do not trust any extra amps on these old wires and fuses.

Yep I was wrong. I missed the tiny smudged ground symbol by the temp switch. I do have switched power but the tiny current draw of the relay puts to hot light on really dimly. Nah, not acceptable to me. I'll run a wire off the gauge fuse from inside the cabin out to the relay and redraw my diagram.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:08 PM, RevoltTrain said:

Always love some GMT400 goodness

Here's our farm truck

20190421_185023.jpg

Always liked the look of those trucks. And with only 24k miles, you lucky dog.

On 12/26/2022 at 1:24 PM, Senzelian said:

My new 2022 Ford Mustang GT. 🙂 Sounds fantastic!

They really do sound fantastic. Put on a set of long tubes and cat delete, it'll will wake up the whole city. Just be careful of any crowds or gatherings.

Now change the wheels, black on black on black is so played out.

6 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Put on a set of long tubes and cat delete, it'll will wake up the whole city. Just be careful of any crowds or gatherings.

Sorry to disappoint, but I live in Germany. There is no way in hell I would be able to do that. My driver's license and car would be gone immediately. 😄 

6 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Now change the wheels, black on black on black is so played out.

Usually I'm not a fan of black wheels either, but here it fits it quite well. I'll keep it the way it is. However one thing I will do is to get a supercharger from Ford. I can keep my warranty that way and take it up to 720hp. Not that I will even be able to make proper use of that, but it'll be fun.

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Sorry to disappoint, but I live in Germany. There is no way in hell I would be able to do that. My driver's license and car would be gone immediately. 😄 

Usually I'm not a fan of black wheels either, but here it fits it quite well. I'll keep it the way it is. However one thing I will do is to get a supercharger from Ford. I can keep my warranty that way and take it up to 720hp. Not that I will even be able to make proper use of that, but it'll be fun.

Oh yeah Germany. I have read some stuff mentioned on various forums about the strict regulations you guys get to enjoy over there. At least you get to play on some sections of the autobahn. The chassis can handle 720hp but the transmission with those can be a hit or miss.   But hell, I can't think of any vehicles where there isn't a chance of catastrophic failure when modding to the limits. 

3 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Oh yeah Germany. I have read some stuff mentioned on various forums about the strict regulations you guys get to enjoy over there. At least you get to play on some sections of the autobahn.

Yup, right now we still can. Might change in a few years.

3 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

The chassis can handle 720hp but the transmission with those can be a hit or miss.

I've got the manual 6 speed transmission, cause it seemed a little more trustworthy than the 10 speed automatic. I hope that helps, but I guess I'll have to find out 😛 

21 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I've got the manual 6 speed transmission, cause it seemed a little more trustworthy than the 10 speed automatic. I hope that helps, but I guess I'll have to find out 😛 

Never heard someone say that about the MT82 before lmao

48 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yup, right now we still can. Might change in a few years.

The MT82 6 speed is only good for 485 lb ft torque. that transmission really wont like the supercharger but its your car after all, have fun with it. Perhaps driving it with you big toe will be the answer.

26 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Eh this guy seems familiar with it.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Lmao. Truth, but it’s a very hit or miss trans. A lot of guys have no problems, but it’s dependent on how you take care of it too.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Make sure you get an aftermarket shifter. The factory one is mounted to the transmission and also the chassis. That is what causes shift forks to break, cause it stresses against itself. Also, the 18+ MT-82s are a little more finicky than the 11-17s. There’s a few other things to do with the engine, but they take power so well. I had a 15 GT premium a few years back, definitely will own one again some day.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

8 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

8 hours ago, PC Master Blaster said:

The MT82 6 speed is only good for 485 lb ft torque. that transmission really wont like the supercharger but its your car after all, have fun with it. Perhaps driving it with you big toe will be the answer.

7 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Make sure you get an aftermarket shifter. The factory one is mounted to the transmission and also the chassis. That is what causes shift forks to break, cause it stresses against itself. Also, the 18+ MT-82s are a little more finicky than the 11-17s. There’s a few other things to do with the engine, but they take power so well. I had a 15 GT premium a few years back, definitely will own one again some day.

I'm glad we started this conversation, otherwise I wouldn't have known about that!

I'll talk to the guys at Ford at some point next year, tho they will surely tell me it's all fine and nothing can go wrong 😄 

Don't talk to the sales people or service writer about problems, go ask the parts guy or ask one of the technicians, they'll know or they'll know who knows.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:01 PM, Bitter said:

Don't talk to the sales people or service writer about problems, go ask the parts guy or ask one of the technicians, they'll know or they'll know who knows.

Correct. The sales/service people are only there to write down your issues, and forward them to the technicians if you make a visit.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:01 AM, Bitter said:

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Correct. The sales/service people are only there to write down your issues, and forward them to the technicians if you make a visit.

Not that you guys are wrong or anything but it never hurts to talk to the sales/service writer/manager, often times they are former mechanics/technicians that tend to know more then you would guess. 

I read forums that are vehicle specific then start talking to as many people as possible when it comes to modding or repairing. 

10 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Not that you guys are wrong or anything but it never hurts to talk to the sales/service writer/manager, often times they are former mechanics/technicians that tend to know more then you would guess. 

I read forums that are vehicle specific then start talking to as many people as possible when it comes to modding or repairing. 

+ if they don't know, they should hopefully be smart enough to get you to the right person. 

Do at least ask them first. It can make some places angry when they can't do their job because you just want to go talk to a tech instead of the person who's job it is to talk to customers...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

RIP Ken Block

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

RIP Ken Block

yeap read about it. also how to. what a way to do.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC