Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, theninja35 said:

I can't believe this and the new Prius came out within 24 hours of each other. The Impreza looks like it was designed 10 years ago.

It was LOL! Subaru just has these new cars all banked up from a decade ago and slap some infotainment or DRL on them and call it new.

Working in this car, I suspect was dredged from the ocean depths, today. Rear calipers could no longer safely hold brake pads. Owner only wanted to pass emissions, had been driving on metal to metal rear brakes for about a month. Told them we could do the O2 sensor but would be unable to test drive it due to the brakes. "Well I've been driving it like this, it's fine" Sorry, we won't drive this vehicle. So he relented and bought brakes then upon disassembly found just how bad the rust was. Had to cut the bridge pins out (2 pot fixed calipers, old Volvo 850) and one side the rust just fucked right off and revealed that nothing was holding the pin at one end.  Other side caliper outer piston boot was just floating in air and there wasn't enough caliper left to keep the pads in place. Guy pitched a fit about parts prices and pulled the "well I can get them for $30 at AutoZone". I'll tell him to his face if he wants to supply his own parts then he can do his own work and supply his own warranty. Tired of him.

IMG_20221118_133358.jpg

IMG_20221118_141906.jpg

IMG_20221118_141916.jpg

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

It was LOL! Subaru just has these new cars all banked up from a decade ago and slap some infotainment or DRL on them and call it new.

working on their EV's probably

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 11/18/2022 at 2:13 PM, Bitter said:

Working in this car, I suspect was dredged from the ocean depths, today. Rear calipers could no longer safely hold brake pads. Owner only wanted to pass emissions, had been driving on metal to metal rear brakes for about a month. Told them we could do the O2 sensor but would be unable to test drive it due to the brakes. "Well I've been driving it like this, it's fine" Sorry, we won't drive this vehicle. So he relented and bought brakes then upon disassembly found just how bad the rust was. Had to cut the bridge pins out (2 pot fixed calipers, old Volvo 850) and one side the rust just fucked right off and revealed that nothing was holding the pin at one end.  Other side caliper outer piston boot was just floating in air and there wasn't enough caliper left to keep the pads in place.

Guy pitched a fit about parts prices and pulled the "well I can get them for $30 at AutoZone". I'll tell him to his face if he wants to supply his own parts then he can do his own work and supply his own warranty. Tired of him.

Cheap ass didn't want to spend anything on his own ride.
I can fully understand wanting to save $$ but apparently this one was so cheap he's literally take a chance on his and other's lives over a dollar.
All this also proves to me if anything had happened as a result of his neglegence, you guys would have been held legally responsible if all the T's and I's aren't crossed and dotted.
Any good (Slick) lawyer can make it so you'd have to eat it all, even if you had it all doucumented from day one of this guy showing up.
I know how this probrably would have played out and it was just a matter of time - Good riddance I say.

I agree - Guys like this need to go away and take their cheap assed bullshit with them.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

13 minutes ago, RealBACONATOR2 said:

How do you guys feel about automatic transmissons vs CVTs?

CVT's the DEVIL!

image.png.6fdefeeda8c2db2d04c68a0388220537.png

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

Just now, Thirdgen89GTA said:

CVT's the DEVIL!

image.png.6fdefeeda8c2db2d04c68a0388220537.png

Thank you, gonna try to get the hondas on my street exorcised.

57 minutes ago, RealBACONATOR2 said:

Also does anyone have hot takes on aftermarket wheels?

The teddy bear wheels TireRack used to sell were the best ever and I wish I had a set.

11 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Cheap ass didn't want to spend anything on his own ride.
I can fully understand wanting to save $$ but apparently this one was so cheap he's literally take a chance on his and other's lives over a dollar.
All this also proves to me if anything had happened as a result of his neglegence, you guys would have been held legally responsible if all the T's and I's aren't crossed and dotted.
Any good (Slick) lawyer can make it so you'd have to eat it all, even if you had it all doucumented from day one of this guy showing up.
I know how this probrably would have played out and it was just a matter of time - Good riddance I say.

I agree - Guys like this need to go away and take their cheap assed bullshit with them.

Gave him the "drive it 3-5 days city and highway to clear emissions monitors" speil and he says "it's got gas in it, why can't you drive it?". Luckily it wasn't me on the phone with him. SURE THAT'LL BE $650 TO DRIVE YOUR CAR AROUND FOR 3-5 DAYS AT $130 AN HOUR FOR A TOTAL OF 5 HOURS SEAT TIME. That would have really lit him off!

Went to Valvoline because I've been too busy (lazy) to get the oil changed and winter tires put on.

The Kid (kid, being relative as I'm 29 and this dude wasnt more than 22 at most) is talking to his coworker/possibly manager about "his crash he had just down the street" and how his vehicle is totaled. Then then go through the process of doing the oil and tire rotation (which honestly them doing the tire rotation took a whole hour which is insane given they didnt mount tires on wheels, just put tire assemblies on and off). Co worker / Manager tells me that kid has fallen in love with my car's seats, and eventually the kid decides to ring me out. 

He asks me what I paid for it, how many miles, and then how much I'd take for it.

I told him too much. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, RealBACONATOR2 said:

The only good 'auto' are in sportier cars (in my experience, models of Audi and BMW), otherwise it's a frustrating driving experience... but manual is better 😉

1 hour ago, rikitikitavi said:

otherwise it's a frustrating driving experience... but manual is better 😉

ilikedrivingamanualbecause.png

16 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

ilikedrivingamanualbecause.png

I thought you had it bookmarked for ease of sharing... Disappointing

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

ANyone in the club ever have a Fiat 500 Abarth? Opinions etc on ownership?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, RealBACONATOR2 said:

personally not a fan of how Toyota does CVTs ... as thats the only one i have real experience with
with automatics i dont really mind them as long as they are semi modern ones

prefer a DCT style box like my volvo has .. but many people complain about them being twitchy compered to an automatic 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Drove a GTI with a really nicely tuned DCT in it, I think he had some programming done on it because it was like blip blip blip through those gears. If they were all like that it would be nice!

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Drove a GTI with a really nicely tuned DCT in it, I think he had some programming done on it because it was like blip blip blip through those gears. If they were all like that it would be nice!

the mk7.5 GTI i have driven is tuned and it was also just amazingly nice to drive... it made me want one 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

8 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I thought you had it bookmarked for ease of sharing... Disappointing

Contents a little too harsh for the forum I imagine. I've had enough warning points lmao.

22 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Avoid

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

13 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Avoid

That's not real specific....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's not real specific....

It is

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 11/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Radium_Angel said:

they just don't last very long, they kinda fall apart everywhere. 

One of those "only good when new" cars

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1