Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I understand that this forum is open to all types of people in most age groups but please make some kind of effort to read the room here. It's fine to debate the feasibility and sustainability aspects of EVs but to make absolutely no effort whatsoever to actually understand or even acknowledge opposing viewpoints is just outright embarrassing. I'm not targeting anyone in particular but there are a handful of people here who fall into that group. If you think that's you then that's probably you, and if you don't think that's you at all then that's definitely you.

Let's talk about something cool like all the sick features on the Rivians or how I saw the new Kia Niro today.

14 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Aren't they getting rid of the camping grill? Sad days.

Put its headstone next to the Honda Vac.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

18 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Aren't they getting rid of the camping grill? Sad days.

I did hear that somewhere just recently. I hope they don't keep cutting down on those cool features, or they'll be as stale as the Big Three. It looks great but if it doesn't do anything cool then I might as well buy a bigger Lightning for less.

2 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I did hear that somewhere just recently. I hope they don't keep cutting down on those cool features, or they'll be as stale as the Big Three. It looks great but if it doesn't do anything cool then I might as well buy a bigger Lightning for less.

Don't worry I'm sure Ford can figure out a few more price increases for the Lightning as well 😕

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Envoy XUV.....

---

Personally, I would be happier if they would offer a hardtop convertible on the R1T, rather than a gear tunnel.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:11 PM, Neroon said:

Finally bought my next car, been looking for it for ages, and even made an adjustment to what I searched for. What I wanted was a BMW E93 (hard top convertible) 330i, I ended up getting a 325i. Didn't like it, but how rare they are here (Netherlands - and considering how many BMWs are on the road here, that's saying something), the fact it's the same engine in both cars, and will have the same amount of power if you put a 330 intake manifold in it with a 330 tune, I figured this was the better option, especially since I could get a lot lower mileage one for the same money.

The car I ended up getting was also a non import model, and like 90% of them being sold are imported, many from Germany, and you run the risk of getting one that are tempered with and you actually get a high mileage one without knowing, same with frame damage, because sadly the EU can't get a proper system going to keep track of this. With a Dutch one I can get it's full history, which is clean.

It's also sold by a very reputable dealer who is very close to me. So figured I'd take the shot.

I had the car checked before buying by an independent garage, we got officials reports where they check the car on 123 points, the result was some issues, oil leaking, lamba sensor broken, super small crack in the taillight (hadn't noticed it myself, had to look superclose), which isn't allowed, and low on airco fluid.

Went back to the dealer and they made no issue to fix all of it, new sensor coming in, replacement taillight, filling the airco and replacing the crankcase cover, which should be the issue. I got everything in writing and if any of it isn't fixed, they will fix it regardless.

So honestly really happy about all of that, the check was 150, but it saved me like 2k in repairs, because replacing the cover is apparently a ton of work in these cars.

It should be done next week, the independent garage said the car in general is in great condition. 13 years old with 144k km/86k miles, so this should last me for many years.

When the car is in, I'll post some pictures.

Ps for those who don't know, the engine is a straight 6 3 liters, such a smooth drive compared to my 4 cilinder.

Well I finally got it, everything got fixed, sadly between my migraine and it being rush hour right now (17:15 here) I ain't driving around, but will be driving around tonight.

Btw I got some plans for this car, as it looks rather standard right now. I want it wrapped with something between yellow and orange, with black accents, it will be a while before I do that, because I really want to get info as to where I should get it done, and what modifications I want to do. To be clear, any modification will be minor, and I absolutely will not lower it.

20221027_164442.thumb.jpg.1630e915831d9e6d70b26ba9ff148bda.jpg

20221027_164455.thumb.jpg.04dbd13a8dc39723f7f6617274e7565c.jpg

On 10/14/2022 at 5:06 AM, JoaoPRSousa said:

Fair enough. I'll just give up all hope on new light cars then. 80/90s junk it is.

My car's a 2016 and it weighs 3000lbs. If you are willing to sacrifice "features" that literally no-one wants or uses, then a light car is usable. No lane assist, no adaptive cruise control, etc. etc. but excellent gas mileage and light weight.

15 hours ago, IPD said:

hydrogen

A tank that can survive 5000 psi can survive an accident with a mom-mobile or even an overloaded dump truck.

16 hours ago, IPD said:

Meanwhile, Gasoline, Diesel and e85 don't require anything other than the existing infrastructure that our transportation grid has had in place for decades. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder how much that stuff cost to implement...............

1 hour ago, theninja35 said:

Bigger wheels and thinner tire, though, at least? Some dark gray wheels would go great with a yellow wrap and some dark mirror caps... 

Not specifically going bigger, though definitely could, but yeah I'll probably go black.

My thinking so far is that I want a yellow wrap for everything, possibly black for mirrors, front lip black, lip spoiler black, possibly a different rear bumper with black diffuser, possibly something black on the side skirts. Chrome delete, possibly black BMW badges, and I'm not sure if I want the roof to just be yellow as well, or have the middle of it black.

Something like this. This is an e92 M3 from NFS Heat, figured it was a useful tool to get an idea.

47ce92a2-2bb1-4e07-993d-063da3c51dcd.thumb.png.60eb6b8343a9e42cd7e6d7f134fe0f86.png

Oil pickup in my Mazda after blasting with brake clean and the after scrubbing and dunking in some other cleaner. Letting it soak for a bit. 200K miles but I'm guessing low quality oil prior to my last 100K miles of ownership. Also it had a lot of years of cold short winter drives and short summer drives being owned by a train commuter.

IMG_20221027_123132.jpg

IMG_20221027_124412.jpg

14 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Who else agrees that EVs are useless?? They are mostly getting charged by fossil fuels and shit.

LOL. Not to mention child labor is a major (and highly ignored) problem in the EV battery industry. 

Translation: "We only care about kids in other countries when it makes the  left look bad." Also: "OIL GOOD, ELECTRIC CARS BAD" : r/TheRightCantMeme

If you are around this stuff long enough you will learn that pretty much every "advantage" EV has over ICE vehicles is actually a serious contradiction. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

I think it's very narrow-minded to think that EVs are all downsides and that ICE cars are the be-all end-all. Why we haven't moved mail trucks to permanent hybrid of EVs yet is beyond me. They cut down on noise and localized pollution aplenty, they can be powered renewably, most require nearly no maintenance, and they're incredibly potent off the line. They're not without downsides, but we're still in EV infancy. Most people still refer to an EV's efficiency by its total range and not a real measure of consumption like MPG or liters/100 kilometers, and even that is variable, if you need further proof that this is still in early stages. I don't tell you my Subaru has 350 miles of gas range when someone asks about fuel economy. 

Anyways, here's my Subie! image.thumb.jpeg.bd71da1e08b36b31cf655e160f70feee.jpeg

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

A tank that can survive 5000 psi can survive an accident with a mom-mobile or even an overloaded dump truck.

I don't think you understand the laws of physics.  First off, it's somewhere around 10,000 psi.  5,000 is only good if you want piss-poor range.  Secondly, there's a difference between a spherical container's resistance to internal pressure, vs external pressure; and these are not the same.  Third, the fuel cell will not face equally distributed force in case of impact.  Instead--like an egg--it will face higher pressure in the one area being impacted--making it more likely to rupture around that deformation.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder how much that stuff cost to implement...............

Gobs, I'm sure.  Which is why we would be better off repurposing as much of it as possible--rather than trying to scrap it and put in superchargers.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

they can be powered renewably,

Lithium is a renewable resource? 

Lithium Extraction Environmental Impact | Eco Jungle

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I think it's very narrow-minded to think that EVs are all downsides and that ICE cars are the be-all end-all.

Well, electric cars have been around since the early 1900s. You would think by now they would actually take up a large percentage of cars on the road if they were any good. Truth is, electric cars are just a political ploy in our "move" away from fossil fuels in the name of "Enviromental sustainability" 

image.png.a9e45d26d59050a05f6be1e5e4bfad06.png

image.png.7dfe04318c4d2cb97626def4eb661611.png

image.png.3f0c170079ba9ae3bd3db954070b9b6c.png

image.png.68c6b222b5cc9e6cbd9afc1bee284eb2.png

image.png.72c2715a7dd5f244d23b13d68c001331.png

image.png.1be01ee4f1995c0e66ab84bb8663181e.png

More reading here:

The Environmental Downside of Electric Vehicles - Foundation for Economic Education (fee.org)

And here:

Xanders_Madison_Poster_URS.pdf (fl.edu)

And here:

Lithium Extraction Environmental Impact | Eco Jungle

image.png.a8f8dd8896bf93747ee12c3845f284f7.png

image.png.8ef7451672817b5e4dbf704723758778.png

image.png.de12acbe5b3a8bb9167e3dc7108e93ae.png

image.png.d4439d83dd393788e8e7428e1f2c5950.png

Yeah, EVs are pretty much worse than ICE vehicles in every way imaginable (and I'm sure, in some ways you haven't even thought of yet)

A PIPELINE WS A LITHIUM MINE BUT ITS ALL ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT RIGHT? - )

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

I ran across this awhile back - Interesting vid.
Gravitas Plus: The dark side of Electric Vehicles - YouTube

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

^^The worst part about the pipeline is that just finishing it would reduce carbon emissions--as the materials being moved no longer require tankers and semis to move product.  So it's even worse than most imagine.

21 hours ago, vetali said:

CRV Table > Honda Vac

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

9 hours ago, Neroon said:

Not specifically going bigger, though definitely could, but yeah I'll probably go black.

My thinking so far is that I want a yellow wrap for everything, possibly black for mirrors, front lip black, lip spoiler black, possibly a different rear bumper with black diffuser, possibly something black on the side skirts. Chrome delete, possibly black BMW badges, and I'm not sure if I want the roof to just be yellow as well, or have the middle of it black.

Something like this. This is an e92 M3 from NFS Heat, figured it was a useful tool to get an idea.

That's pretty much what I was imagining too, just with the black mirror caps and maybe a matte or satin black for the accents instead of gloss. Gloss is such a pain, and satin accents are amazing. I like the black roof but it might be harder to pull off seamlessly on the convertible top.

37 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

CRV Table > Honda Vac

Yeah the CRV table was great. They could do another one as an accessory. There is enough room if you don't use the lower cargo floor option. At least in the 22 and older CRVs. We still haven't got our 23 yet.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah the CRV table was great. They could do another one as an accessory. There is enough room if you don't use the lower cargo floor option. At least in the 22 and older CRVs. We still haven't got our 23 yet.

I remember a customer with a Town n Cuntry that wanted us to fix the trunk flashlight. Contacts were corroded from the battery in the light leaking, oh well. I told them for what a new flashlight cost from the dealer they could buy about 10 flashlights at Walmart.