Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

My mom's friend is selling their 08 Civic with 80K on it, might make that the new DD. Can't be worse than my current car?

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

My mom's friend is selling their 08 Civic with 80K on it, might make that the new DD. Can't be worse than my current car?

I want to say those were pretty bulletproof

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

If you can get them before they are clapped out then they are the most reliable modern civic gen. Most the cracked block issues have been weeded out by now. Likes to eat rear brakes due to the caliper design. Motor mounts get bad but Honda still makes OEMs. They don't have the torque converter shutter issue that the bigger SUVs had those years.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

10 hours ago, vetali said:

If you can get them before they are clapped out then they are the most reliable modern civic gen. Most the cracked block issues have been weeded out by now. Likes to eat rear brakes due to the caliper design. Motor mounts get bad but Honda still makes OEMs. They don't have the torque converter shutter issue that the bigger SUVs had those years.

I'm guessing it's the base model so probably drum brakes? I'll find out at some point.

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm guessing it's the base model so probably drum brakes? I'll find out at some point.

Yeah LXs are drums. Those go like 200k without needing service lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

39 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah LXs are drums. Those go like 200k without needing service lol.

Like most drum brakes. Just pull the drums and check/reset the adjustment from time to time to keep the brakes balanced nicely.

My drum brakes are working well I guess.

I submitted a formal complaint to DOT about the truck, further down the road they were slowly weaving left lane onto the shoulder back to the road repeatedly and they just barely missed those impact barrels there when they cut me off. Super dangerous!

Oh gosh they turned on comic sans 

I’ll see you guys April 2nd 😂

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Oh gosh they turned on comic sans 

I’ll see you guys April 2nd 😂

Excellent

Stuck on this one nut for half the day on this Audi A5, the inward bottom converter nut at the turbo. Will not come loose, can barely get anything in at it. I'm pulling the motor mount after lunch and should have enough access.

Boss has been grinding his gears on a brake hose on an old Dodge B Van, everything is seized and the air springs are in his way.

I had a RF brake getting real hot last week on my 98 Mazda, did a brake hose and it's a lot better but seems like the caliper is dragging some too. Slides are fine, pads move free in the bracket. Ordered a new caliper from a local supplier a couple days ago, went to put it on now at lunch and it's a left in a right box.

signal-2022-04-01-14-02-31-870.gif.bf3047092d966ad4ef7dab83a253ab00.gif

It now stands on its own! 

20220402_173725.thumb.jpg.381638dba8239b065409848976d3d06d.jpg

it's really fascinating to me that just in July 2021 I began from this. Doing a few hours almost every weekend. 

20190106_153514.thumb.jpg.14901cf206c1389201a7bcbeaa1314fe.jpg

Now it's just to get the wiring and steering wheel done and I can try to start and eventually go for a test drive of the chassis. 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

1 hour ago, Oskar94a said:

Now it's just to get the wiring and steering wheel done and I can try to start and eventually go for a test drive of the chassis. 

Plural? It has more than one wire!?

I can't wait to see what that hotrod can do!

1 hour ago, Oskar94a said:

It now stands on its own! 

-snip-

it's really fascinating to me that just in July 2021 I began from this. Doing a few hours almost every weekend. 

-snip-

that thing is gonna be sweet. Great job thus far, can't wait to see it finished! 

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

Stuck on this one nut for half the day on this Audi A5, the inward bottom converter nut at the turbo. Will not come loose, can barely get anything in at it. I'm pulling the motor mount after lunch and should have enough access.

Boss has been grinding his gears on a brake hose on an old Dodge B Van, everything is seized and the air springs are in his way.

I had a RF brake getting real hot last week on my 98 Mazda, did a brake hose and it's a lot better but seems like the caliper is dragging some too. Slides are fine, pads move free in the bracket. Ordered a new caliper from a local supplier a couple days ago, went to put it on now at lunch and it's a left in a right box.

-snip-

is it just me or is brake caliper lifespan is about 25 years give or take? Less if the car sits

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

is it just me or is brake caliper lifespan is about 25 years give or take? Less if the car sits

Probably about right, the hose issue was there's a ferrule on the hose to clip it to the a tab on the strut, the ferrule had rusted inside shrinking it's ID onto the OD of the hose and restricting it. I could blow through it but it was slow to release the caliper and caused a drag which was heating the brakes up on that side to the point I was getting the hot squealies from my pads when braking after driving for a while. It's A LOT better with the new hose but still feels warmer than the other side, so I was going to do the caliper as well. I'm also doing the other side hose when I get around to it. Calipers were off an 03-05 Mazda 6 so they're less old than the car but the hoses are original. Pads are no longer squealing when hot so I don't think I killed them and I don't feel any warp from the front brakes, feels pretty normal when stopping actually. +1 to those Raybestos EHT pads, they take some abuse!

Speaking of old, Celica has one caliper that's still original that I should replace. May just get the red powder coated ones because why not. Hoses were changed out for SS braided a long time ago almost when I got the car. Coolant is getting old and radiator is original, I'm going to do the radiator at home the same time I have the bumper off to do the HID bulbs. Just a new Denso replacement part, overheating isn't a problem for the engine on this car. Thermostat is fine still, but I think I may opt for some new hoses. Not sure if I want dealer parts since they'll be pretty ancient sitting on a shelf or if I should trust some aftermarket ones. I will probably order in some new dealer spring clamps though, I prefer them to screw clamps actually since they're constant tension vs static tension screw clamps. Screw clamps get loose as the rubber under the clamp compresses, loose clamps are bad.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Plural? It has more than one wire!?

Positive and ground wire 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

Just now, Oskar94a said:

Positive and ground wire 

What kind of gas mileage do they get?

Just now, Bitter said:

What kind of gas mileage do they get?

Very different from car to car, the ones i have driven is roughly 0.8 to 1.2 l/10km 

3 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

Very different from car to car, the ones i have driven is roughly 0.8 to 1.2 l/10km 

Impressive, between 19 and 29 MPG for us stupid Americans.

Took this out for the first spring drive.  Need to get the the bumper fit dialed but itll do for what the cars for.  Roads are still cold so 3rd gear was quite a blast lol.

924.jpg

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

Here's the 2008 Civic my mom's friend might be selling. I see one large problem with it right off the bat, eh @vetali?

1649111424895.jpg

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Here's the 2008 Civic my mom's friend might be selling. I see one large problem with it right off the bat, eh @vetali?

1649111424895.jpg

Looks about 5 years older.... and the worst gen civic at that.

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Looks about 5 years older.... and the worst gen civic at that.

Yep, it's a 2005. I've worked on a driven a few of them and they're....about my least favorite Honda to work on or drive. The D17 is gutless, loud, and buzzes badly as it screams away to accomplish little to nothing for all it's noise. They seem to rust up pretty badly and I recall they have the same rotting front subframe issues like the Accords of the time have from the AC drain water soaking the frames on the passenger side, yeah? It's a pass from me, I'll wait for the used prices to cool down and maybe grab a nicer example of a R18 8th or 9th gen if the prices are OK. As long as they have the 'like legos' brakes I like from Japanese cars and I can swap on some bigger front brakes and do a HID or LED projector retrofit in the headlights I'll be happy with it even if it's slow. Just gimme big brakes, wide lights, and heated seats with a little stereo rumble and I'm happy enough.

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yep, it's a 2005. I've worked on a driven a few of them and they're....about my least favorite Honda to work on or drive. The D17 is gutless, loud, and buzzes badly as it screams away to accomplish little to nothing for all it's noise. They seem to rust up pretty badly and I recall they have the same rotting front subframe issues like the Accords of the time have from the AC drain water soaking the frames on the passenger side, yeah? It's a pass from me, I'll wait for the used prices to cool down and maybe grab a nicer example of a R18 8th or 9th gen if the prices are OK. As long as they have the 'like legos' brakes I like from Japanese cars and I can swap on some bigger front brakes and do a HID or LED projector retrofit in the headlights I'll be happy with it even if it's slow. Just gimme big brakes, wide lights, and heated seats with a little stereo rumble and I'm happy enough.

Yeah I hate them. Especially the ones with ABS, they stick the modulator in front of the timing belt making it annoying to work on. Kinda funny, 9th gens used to be hated. Now in this market they are still holding decent value for a car that was dipping into 4 digits before 2020.

New car fleets in the US have to average 49 mpg by 2026.

they revised it up from 40… which I was already talking about was insane. 

that basically means the manufacturers will only be able to have a couple ICE cars in their hopefully large enough fleets to maintain that crazy high average 

y’all better buy that lambo you always wanted while you still can lol… don’t see the car bubble ending any time soon 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

New car fleets in the US have to average 49 mpg by 2026.

they revised it up from 40… which I was already talking about was insane. 

that basically means the manufacturers will only be able to have a couple ICE cars in their hopefully large enough fleets to maintain that crazy high average 

y’all better buy that lambo you always wanted while you still can lol… don’t see the car bubble ending any time soon 

Oh they cried that the end was nigh when emissions were first introduced in the 70's too. The automotive industry always says the sky is falling every time they're forced to do better through external regulation because if left to their own devices we'd still be driving cars from the 1950's.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Oh they cried that the end was nigh when emissions were first introduced in the 70's too. The automotive industry always says the sky is falling every time they're forced to do better through external regulation because if left to their own devices we'd still be driving cars from the 1950's.

My point is we’ll just have electric and boring ICE cars to choose from. There will only be room for work trucks probably lol. Maybe a couple 4 bangers 

This is probably that final nail in the coffin for V8 sporty/sports cars

unless someone decides to make some crazy freevalve variable everything V8 for a sports car that gets 35 mpg lol but then you’ll probably have to pay $40k just for the engine lol 

Spoiler