Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

 

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

 

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

But then that literally goes back to my original argument of OEM’s not needing vacuum pumps.. 

Honda with the Civic turbos uses a valve that creates a venturi effect when air (boost) flows by. Creates vacuum for the brake booster and evap system. Thats why theres so many evap lines, theres two places where the evap system can purge. Each of those locations have two lines going to them. Type Rs use their own vacuum pump, and the other models use electronic assist. 

 

NA motors that run on atkinsons cycle or have cylinder deactivation sometimes require vacuum pumps, depending on the design and programming. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone X

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Dont think I've ever had such a successful day working on a car.

Exhaust is fitted, only snapped 1 bolt that wasnt even needed.

Battery tie down has been fixed and now has a new alternator belt.

Seems a little loud and coarse, but if you like it that's all that matters. The exhaust on my Celica sounds almost exactly like stock at idle, only gets a little louder under acceleration.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Dont think I've ever had such a successful day working on a car.

Exhaust is fitted, only snapped 1 bolt that wasnt even needed.

Battery tie down has been fixed and now has a new alternator belt.

All jokes aside, good job. The simple jobs are always the ones that take all day.

One of my mates had a Type-R, he accidentally downshifted to 2nd on the motorway trying to race someone and blew it up 😂


| Core i7 8700 | 16GB GSkill Trident Z | Asus Strix H370-F | Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti | Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | Lian Li Lancool One |

| Acer Predator XB271HU | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G502 | Neewer NW-7000 Condenser | AKG K92 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Seems a little loud and coarse, but if you like it that's all that matters. The exhaust on my Celica sounds almost exactly like stock at idle, only gets a little louder under acceleration.

 

 

Its the quietest car ive owned still

 

34 minutes ago, TheBigZeeek said:

All jokes aside, good job. The simple jobs are always the ones that take all day.

One of my mates had a Type-R, he accidentally downshifted to 2nd on the motorway trying to race someone and blew it up 😂

Everything came undone as it should (apart from that one bolt) and the new bits bolted up and lined up perfectly. Really surprised me even for a 14 year old car. Next jobs are to tackle the wobbly suspension and uh, lack of stopping ability


Needs money for car parts :P

 

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

 

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

 

  • Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Infact, I found a picture one of the previous owners sent me. This is my car maybe about a decade and 3(?) owners ago, sporting it's original wheels, RC041's upfront, and wider RC042's on the rear.

 

 

And this is the car last summer, sporting different BBS, these are RS740/741 

 

DSC_2119-01.jpeg

Which colour is that? Mora? It looks amazing

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always wanted to do that when I had my blazer. Still one of the best gauge clusters made. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone X

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it when we get a car with a digital cluster from the 80's or 90's in the shop, they are super cool. They're also nigh impossible to repair, you have to send the whole thing out and hope they can fix it at extraordinary expense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Everything came undone as it should (apart from that one bolt) and the new bits bolted up and lined up perfectly. Really surprised me even for a 14 year old car. Next jobs are to tackle the wobbly suspension and uh, lack of stopping ability

Well that's lucky! I don't think I've had anything simple to do on mine, there's always been a ceased bolt or something doesn't line up etc.


| Core i7 8700 | 16GB GSkill Trident Z | Asus Strix H370-F | Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti | Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | Lian Li Lancool One |

| Acer Predator XB271HU | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G502 | Neewer NW-7000 Condenser | AKG K92 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I love it when we get a car with a digital cluster from the 80's or 90's in the shop, they are super cool. They're also nigh impossible to repair, you have to send the whole thing out and hope they can fix it at extraordinary expense.

Apparently the power supplies on those are a common issue, and flickering. But that was back when people were splicing right into the primary side of the coil for the tach instead of going to the ECM for the filtered signal. 

 

The board repair industry is a good industry to be in. Gonna be even better once all these new cars start having issues on headunits that cost 3 grand or more to replace and you can't use aftermarket setups.... and the car doesn't work without the headunit. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone X

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vetali said:

Apparently the power supplies on those are a common issue, and flickering. But that was back when people were splicing right into the primary side of the coil for the tach instead of going to the ECM for the filtered signal. 

 

The board repair industry is a good industry to be in. Gonna be even better once all these new cars start having issues on headunits that cost 3 grand or more to replace and you can't use aftermarket setups.... and the car doesn't work without the headunit. 

Yep, assuming they allow aftermarket repairs...they may lock the devices up in some way so opening the device trips a fault in software and bricks the unit, that would not surprise me one bit. Actually kind of surprised that Apple doesn't do that...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Its the quietest car ive owned still

 

Everything came undone as it should (apart from that one bolt) and the new bits bolted up and lined up perfectly. Really surprised me even for a 14 year old car. Next jobs are to tackle the wobbly suspension and uh, lack of stopping ability

I'll have to try to get a good sound clip of the exhaust sometime, when the weather is warm and I can drive it. I have one from behind the car parked when it was brand new but it sounds terrible on my old cannon camera...and the muffler hadn't broken in at all. I still get more intake noise than exhaust noise by a long shot, it sounds so raucous.

Bask in ye olde video taken on a sony camera mounted to the chin of my car when it had an air intake and only an air intake.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yep, assuming they allow aftermarket repairs...they may lock the devices up in some way so opening the device trips a fault in software and bricks the unit, that would not surprise me one bit. Actually kind of surprised that Apple doesn't do that...

I could see it happening where tampering enters the device into anti theft mode. Then you gotta pay to have it unlocked. Pretty much already doing that with ECM replacements needing reprogramming by OEM scan tools... and new Chryslers requiring you to login to their network before allowing scantool access beyond a security gateway thanks to the viral jeep "hacking" a few years back. Working for a private shop is going to really suck in a few years once all this shit starts hitting them.


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone X

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just send cars to the dealer for programming anyway, we don't do that often enough to have the subscriptions needed or the software licenses. The cost/benefit ratio isn't there for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bitter said:

We just send cars to the dealer for programming anyway, we don't do that often enough to have the subscriptions needed or the software licenses. The cost/benefit ratio isn't there for us.

Still sucks when you have to have it towed for 15 minutes of work. 

 

What scanners you got over there? I hear snapon is pretty lacking now. Aside from the Honda scan tools we have to matco rebranded launch. Its ok, but I hate I can't view all PIDs at once. Have to go and select each PID every time. Bi directional is hit or miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Can't do a basic purge and seal on some GMs, some it works fine. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone X

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got a Verus Pro, an old Verus we use sometimes, and I have a Creader 8001 for quick checks, basic data, and resetting oil lights. I used to have a Creader 6 but I left it on the roof of my car one Saturday and it didn't survive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We've got a Verus Pro, an old Verus we use sometimes, and I have a Creader 8001 for quick checks, basic data, and resetting oil lights. I used to have a Creader 6 but I left it on the roof of my car one Saturday and it didn't survive.

I have an old creader... mixed up a MAP code for a o2 code and I haven't used it since. I got one of those bluedriver ones for my phone and its pretty good for domestics. Still waiting for a decent scan tool to come out before I buy my own. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone X

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

received_2317765428547033.jpeg

received_621696828300978.jpeg

received_2318869011693869.jpeg


LTTF Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X + Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 16GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bitter said:

I think Amber looks good on darker cars...but that's evidently just me.

I feel it cheapens the look personally. But I've always felt that way. It may just be me


CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to share another story (came back on the forum to see what the big hoo-hah was all about) of my flat tyre. 

 

> Get in my lovely Peugeot 407 Sport to go into town to meet a friend

> Uh-Oh flat tyre - not to worry I have a spare. 

> Get all the lug nuts loose, but one (Has a security lug nut)

 

> No problem I'll get the adapter. . . . Adapter breaks when I try and use it. Clearly been tried before. 

> Ho-hum ill drive to the garage to get the wheel changed. Garage can't touch it without the key for the lug nut. 

> Seems reasonable, off to the Peugeot dealer. 

 

> Peugeot don't make them any more, for any of their cars and sell new lug nuts instead, only problem they can't get the security nut off. 

> Go to Beaurepaires to get the wheels off with a hammer (did try with mine, but didn't work). Come back 2 hrs later, they couldn't get it off.

> They had to call in a welder to weld the security lug nuts off (they are doing all the wheels and replacing the lug nuts)

 

Probably the most awful flat tyre ever :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, floofer said:

I would like to share another story (came back on the forum to see what the big hoo-hah was all about) of my flat tyre. 

 

> Get in my lovely Peugeot 407 Sport to go into town to meet a friend

> Uh-Oh flat tyre - not to worry I have a spare. 

> Get all the lug nuts loose, but one (Has a security lug nut)

 

> No problem I'll get the adapter. . . . Adapter breaks when I try and use it. Clearly been tried before. 

> Ho-hum ill drive to the garage to get the wheel changed. Garage can't touch it without the key for the lug nut. 

> Seems reasonable, off to the Peugeot dealer. 

 

> Peugeot don't make them any more, for any of their cars and sell new lug nuts instead, only problem they can't get the security nut off. 

> Go to Beaurepaires to get the wheels off with a hammer (did try with mine, but didn't work). Come back 2 hrs later, they couldn't get it off.

> They had to call in a welder to weld the security lug nuts off (they are doing all the wheels and replacing the lug nuts)

 

Probably the most awful flat tyre ever :( 

Argh.. the dreaded security nut. I remember when my uncle had a 407, that thing was a pain in the arse to get out without an adapter.


 

 

 

 

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vetali said:

I have an old creader... mixed up a MAP code for a o2 code and I haven't used it since. I got one of those bluedriver ones for my phone and its pretty good for domestics. Still waiting for a decent scan tool to come out before I buy my own. 

I haven't had that, I don't use it to diag just check IM, clear codes post repair, reset oil lights, quick stuff where I don't want to lug out the $10,000 machine or whatever it costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


LTTF Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X + Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 16GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AConfusedDoor said:

Left or Right?

 

(I like both but prefer ever so slightly prefer right)

 

Right


CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, bcredeur97 said:

But then that literally goes back to my original argument of OEM’s not needing vacuum pumps.. 

Probably a safety standard or something? Idk. Most diesels have a vacuum pump because diesels don't make vacuum since they don't have a traditional throttle that limits air flow.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, terrytek said:

i've looked at reviews on the fusion and it seems like people have issues with the 6 speed auto, from sucky acceleration to misshifting to even full on trans failure, but of course those are only a select few. and this isn't for me lol it's for my dad :P 

It's a Ford/GM colab trans so if it has issues, a LOT of other cars will too. A lot of popular cars. Also, the people with bad experiences will always be loudest. But definitely a factor.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:39 PM, AConfusedDoor said:

Left or Right?

 

(I like both but prefer ever so slightly prefer right)

I pick option 3: buy something with a V8 because MURICA!


F@H Team Rank: 42                                                              A single, faster GPU is better than two slower ones in SLI

 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

 

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC XD Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

 

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD (excluding 1080 Ti)

 

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×