Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

18 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

but shouldn't be an issue for me as long as russia doesn't pull a full on war with the NATO

Just before the day of the attack i said that russia isnt dumb enough to start a war right beside the NATO. Yeah, wasnt a great feeling the next day when isaw the news. Lets just say they are way too close to comfort....

16 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Just before the day of the attack i said that russia isnt dumb enough to start a war right beside the NATO. Yeah, wasnt a great feeling the next day when isaw the news. Lets just say they are way too close to comfort....

You jinxed it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

14 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

You jinxed it

Pretty much. Guess the old saying is still true:

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A good friend of mine and car dude with a nice MR2 is from Ukraine and has a lot of family there, he's super stressed out about the whole thing. Other than that the only Ukrainian I know was this crazy girl me and my ex hooked up with a couple times. 

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

yeah i dont want to say this about all russians as many of them are against what putin is doing ... but at least putin is quite dumb and stubborn so this was to be expected
So far (from what I can see) NATO has done a decently good job with helping Ukraine without going into a war themselves

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

15 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

So far (from what I can see) NATO has done a decently good job with helping Ukraine without going into a war themselves

They are walking on thin ice, many country sent weapons and whatnot. Things can get ugly pretty fast....

4 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Not Ukranian, but as someone who lives in a country that borders both russia and belarus... bit scary, but shouldn't be an issue for me as long as russia doesn't pull a full on war with the NATO
Currently it also seems that russia is not exactly winning so I have high hopes of this ending somewhat soon.

A losing Russia might be more dangerous than a winning one. Putin’s speech was very… passionate? A little concerning 

But yeah I’m glad they are losing I just don’t understand why. They have so much military that they are just… not using? 

but yeah stay safe man! Hope it all works out and calms down there soon 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

They are absolutely dumb enough to do something stupid, we've had a long while of reasoning to believe this would happen.

15 Tucson, trans codes and hard shift out of park to reverse or drive. Mmmm crusty. Even started to dissolve the PA66 nylon!

IMG_20220228_153758.jpg

IMG_20220228_153840.jpg

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

15 Tucson, trans codes and hard shift out of park to reverse or drive. Mmmm crusty. Even started to dissolve the PA66 nylon!

Ez, brake clean and a soft brush on a drill.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Its a Hyundai. Brake clean and a lighter. Then blame it on an engine fire.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

16 minutes ago, vetali said:

Actually it does haven an open recall for ABS module fire hazard...

Probably going this route, 156K miles and been driving it like this for 4 months. I suspect the trans is boned by this point but I guess we'll see what's inside the pan when I open it up if we get approval to move forward. Car looks rough and just pulling into the shop the front suspension feels loose...and I only drove it about 40 feet.

19 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Look closely at the black connector, right row, 3rd hole. That's the pin from the brown connector bottom row. No fixing that now. Just touched another pin in there and it yeeted right off, so it's corroded bad down into the brown plastic. Pretty sure old battery leaked acid into the connector, the corner of the tray is right above it.

What's really annoying is Hyundai either doesn't sell or the parts guy can't find the pigtail for the trans, found a semi-local place that might have the connector with terminals maybe for $120 our cost which beats a $1000 engine harness. We're trying a local yard to see if we can go cut one off a junked car. It looks like Hyundai and probably Kia used the same connector on a bunch of cars so it  might be an easy find somewhere.

32 minutes ago, vetali said:

That gave me a good laugh lmao

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Look closely at the black connector, right row, 3rd hole. That's the pin from the brown connector bottom row. No fixing that now. Just touched another pin in there and it yeeted right off, so it's corroded bad down into the brown plastic. Pretty sure old battery leaked acid into the connector, the corner of the tray is right above it.

What's really annoying is Hyundai either doesn't sell or the parts guy can't find the pigtail for the trans, found a semi-local place that might have the connector with terminals maybe for $120 our cost which beats a $1000 engine harness. We're trying a local yard to see if we can go cut one off a junked car. It looks like Hyundai and probably Kia used the same connector on a bunch of cars so it  might be an easy find somewhere.

Stuff some copper wire in there, good as new. /s

I mean if it was a PGA processor or a GM then sure that'll work.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

-snips-

Well that's pretty neat

Been considering selling my V70 2016 D3 for a while now, but the more i dig my own grave trying to find experiences with the cars i'd like i keep finding nightmare cases and people telling me "dear god no, not a BMW" ahaha. Currently looking at 530D/i's and M550D/i's, are these type of cars with 3 liter inline6 that nightmare ish? Hoping to get a newer 2015 model if i can with SuperPlus insurance so if the gearbox says goodbye its covered for another year.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

5 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Been considering selling my V70 2016 D3 for a while now, but the more i dig my own grave trying to find experiences with the cars i'd like i keep finding nightmare cases and people telling me "dear god no, not a BMW" ahaha. Currently looking at 530D/i's and M550D/i's, are these type of cars with 3 liter inline6 that nightmare ish? Hoping to get a newer 2015 model if i can with SuperPlus insurance so if the gearbox says goodbye its covered for another year.

For all I know, they're sturdy engines. Wouldn't say a gearbox is prone to failure on any of those either.
If you keep up with maintenance (not many BMW owners do), those cars are solid. Thing with BMWs is that parts are on the expensive side, they're no Honda or Toyota, but Volvo's are just as bad in that regard I find. Parts being expensive and maintenance being neglected, you have a recipe for disaster.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Some of the BMW engines have timing chain issues, VANOS issues which are often just sludge or solenoids but not always, and I've seen one with a badly badly worn Valvetronic gear due to lack of oil changes and owner neglect. A couple gear teeth were about 1/3 smaller than the rest and the system didn't operate very well.

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

not many BMW owners do

This was the struggle when I was searching for an X5... every carfax was 7-10k oil change intervals. We see timing chain and VCT failures on some Hondas when they go 7k+ on oil changes. Plus I think BMW was recommending 14k on oil changes for a while as well. Just dumb.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Oh good lord I'm trying to update the sync3 in the 2016 escape while she's out of town and fucking Ford man. It no update.

9 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

For all I know, they're sturdy engines. Wouldn't say a gearbox is prone to failure on any of those either.
If you keep up with maintenance (not many BMW owners do), those cars are solid. Thing with BMWs is that parts are on the expensive side, they're no Honda or Toyota, but Volvo's are just as bad in that regard I find. Parts being expensive and maintenance being neglected, you have a recipe for disaster.

Im still following the services for my current V70, im just in for an oil change on next coming friday i assume their just gonna go over the car to check every thing is in order.

Planning on selling it, tired of FWD and diesel now. Keep hearing nightmare stories still haha

But maintence seems to be the one factor people dont do, even on newer cars 😐

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

58 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Im still following the services for my current V70, im just in for an oil change on next coming friday i assume their just gonna go over the car to check every thing is in order.

Planning on selling it, tired of FWD and diesel now. Keep hearing nightmare stories still haha

But maintence seems to be the one factor people dont do, even on newer cars 😐

there will always be nightmare stories and no one ever does proper maintenance. and doesnt help that manufacturers tend to increase the maintenance intervals
The most stuff you see on the internet is people complaining about issues so no matter what car you look at people will always complain about issues and will tell you to stay away from those cars.

BMW 6 cylinders tend to be quite good especially compared to what issues their 4 cylinders have had in the past and the gearboxes also tend to be fine. dont think you should be worried about any of those 2 things. 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

11 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Can confirm, Volvo parts tend to be quite expensive.

but hey, if you want a volvo and can afford to pay for things if something goes wrong ... go for it.
Guessing BMW aint any better tbh