Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

15 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Crab steering? :omegathunk:

At 45 or below the rear axle actually steers the opposite direction of the front (up to 15 degrees) and at speeds above that, it'll turn the same direction as the front axle for improved stability and the like (can't find a spec for the angle at high speeds)

GM-Quadrasteer-Pickup-Trucks-GM-007.png

(Smaller turning circle than my current daily 😄 )

GM Quadrasteer Pickup Trucks | GM-00

That full 15 degrees of angle being put to work

Quadrasteer - Wikipedia

(BTW Quadrasteer started as a $7K USD Option)

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Speaking of spark plugs, I really like the Denso Twin Tip Iridiums. They run really nice in my Celica and wear like iron in every car I've pulled them from to change plugs at like 100-120K they still have a gap that's in spec. Fine Iridium center electrode tip and a platinum wire on the ground strap. That eliminates the weakness in most Iridium plugs, the plain ground strap wears out long before the Iridium center electrode. My expensive Iridium IX's in the Celica only lasted about 45K miles before they were done. The Ir centers were near pristine but the ground strap was eroded in half which doubled the gap. Denso sells them in Japan under the 'Super Ignition Plug' or SIP and has been using them there for a long time. They come OE on a lot of newer Toyota, don't think I've seen them in Honda though. They're not even more expensive than other plugs which don't last as long!

Guess you’ve found the plugs for a Subaru. Put them in there and never do them again 

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ok, but only if you get the V10 TDI.

I’m not that rich come on lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

New car has been ordered, awaiting confirmation but should be delivered next sunday. Gone for something different and more interesting this time and I cant wait

Screenshot_20210410-160334_Chrome.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

New car has been ordered, awaiting confirmation but should be delivered next sunday. Gone for something different and more interesting this time and I cant wait

-snip-

nice man. Glad to see you're making it too (or going in to loads of debt but i hope not lol) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

nice man. Glad to see you're making it too (or going in to loads of debt but i hope not lol) 

Sat around doing man maths and decided a proper M car would ruin me financially. So I decided to be somewhat sensible for once. The car itself is no more expensive than what the focus cost me and now having more mechanical experience and various friends in the network it shouldn't be much more to run either. Also may have a higher paid job lined up in a few weeks time so it works out perfectly

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

12 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

yes their parts are crazy price

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ok, but only if you get the V10 TDI.

basically this .. the petrol variants are also quite expensive ... but get a V6 TDI and they are surprisingly cheap .. yet powerful enough for towing 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I don't like it 😭

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I don't like it 😭

Now they’ll all be $200k garage queens lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Now they’ll all be $200k garage queens lol

That won't be the case when I buy myself one 😎

21 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

That won't be the case when I buy myself one 😎

i've always wanted one. only logical thing to replace a miata with tbh  

I've driven an Exige Sport 260. Same guy who let me drive that car also imported an S1 here. Really cool. The S1 is so much tinier in person than it looks. You look up to lowered miata's in it lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

i've always wanted one. only logical thing to replace a miata with tbh  

I've driven an Exige Sport 260. Same guy who let me drive that car also imported an S1 here. Really cool. The S1 is so much tinier in person than it looks. You look up to lowered miata's in it lol

Did you guys ever get its sibling the VX220/Speedster?

37 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Did you guys ever get its sibling the VX220/Speedster?

no I don't believe so. Just you european's 

Spoiler

The sound of this car is just.... amazing. Swapping the only negative, the SMG, also makes the car fantastic. Too bad it's ~ $65,000 now, otherwise I'd wait a couple more years and import one.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

no I don't believe so. Just you european's 

Ah that sucks, theyre a cheaper option over here inc the turbo model. Lotus' are crazy money now

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

Ah that sucks, theyre a cheaper option over here inc the turbo model. Lotus' are crazy money now

like always the whole world decides that america doesn't like sporty and value and stu stu stu from some eg6

6 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

like always the whole world decides that america doesn't like sporty and value and stu stu stu from some eg6

Or maybe, just maybe, it might be because the USA is a completely different market than the rest of the world. And you lucky sods got the E60 M5 with a manual and no one else did. But BMW is on a different level of brain injury anyway.

Also, importing to the USA is probably an expense Lotus didn't want, at a time, since they were (and still are to a point) a small company. GM could have brought the VX220 overseas but for some reason they didn't? Idk, mixing those cars with the big hunky SUVs y'all get would be interesting.

Where tf did the Civic come from in the context? I'm confused

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Or maybe, just maybe, it might be because the USA is a completely different market than the rest of the world. And you lucky sods got the E60 M5 with a manual and no one else did. But BMW is on a different level of brain injury anyway.

Also, importing to the USA is probably an expense Lotus didn't want, at a time, since they were (and still are to a point) a small company. GM could have brought the VX220 overseas but for some reason they didn't? Idk, mixing those cars with the big hunky SUVs y'all get would be interesting.

Where tf did the Civic come from in the context? I'm confused

There is also the EPA. And the US's fucky emissions regulations.

If manufacturers could just load a bunch of euro/asia market cars on a boat and send them over to sell in the states they certainly would.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

4 minutes ago, techswede said:

There is also the EPA. And the US's fucky emissions regulations.

If manufacturers could just load a bunch of euro/asia market cars on a boat and send them over to sell in the states they certainly would.

I didn't mention all of that because I don't have the knowledge to back it up but yeah, this right here.

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I didn't mention all of that because I don't have the knowledge to back it up but yeah, this right here.

Then there is the Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988. Which basically fucked the grey market. 
(This is why you had to wait 25 years to import a skyline)
It was basically congress going "FUCK YOU. BUY AMERICAN" (Which i agree with. But still) 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

12 minutes ago, techswede said:

Then there is the Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988. Which basically fucked the grey market. 
(This is why you had to wait 25 years to import a skyline)
It was basically congress going "FUCK YOU. BUY AMERICAN" (Which i agree with. But still) 

If you want an American sports car you pick mustang or camaro.

not that you can’t have fun in those cars but they are just heavy fast beasts. 

We make nothing lightweight. Except the corvette but that’s expensive lol

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

If you want an American sports car you pick mustang or camaro.

not that you can’t have fun in those cars but they are just heavy fast beasts. 

We make nothing lightweight. Except the corvette but that’s expensive lol

I wouldn't call the new camaro or mustang heavy as such. They're right around 1600kg on average. Which is pretty light for a modern car.
Compared to a miata they are heavy yeah. But its still only about the same weight as an e39

38 minutes ago, techswede said:

I wouldn't call the new camaro or mustang heavy as such. They're right around 1600kg on average. Which is pretty light for a modern car.
Compared to a miata they are heavy yeah. But its still only about the same weight as an e39

But it’s a 2 door sports car with useless back seats 😕 

cant justify the weight lol 

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

But it’s a 2 door sports car with useless back seats 😕 

cant justify the weight lol 

Who cares about the weight when you can still have fun driving recklessly......?

So, car people, I have a question:

Is there a limit to how many RPM an internal combustion engine can run at? What would enforce that maximum?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.