Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

New car who dis

20200518_180956.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

23 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

no. the 2000s ones are too expensive to insure.

Ah crap. I was going to say CB500 but that's also a twin lul

Bandit 600 / CB600F Hornet?

I'd say a 00s Triumph for the sweet 3 cylinder noises, but idk about their prices

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

On 5/17/2020 at 4:05 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Aaaaaand the GSX is sold, got the tank done and sold it for about €200 more than i bought it. Eh, at least the deal was really quick. Think i really figured out why i wasnt happy with it, it didnt actiually fulfill my requirements for my next bike. I wanted my next bike to 1: Have a different engine configuration than a parallel twin 2: have something other than a chain driving the rear wheel. the GSX only fullfilled one of those and wasnt all that fun to ride anyway so bam, its gone from my life.

Now i need to find a new bike to buy, been looking at a BMW K75 for a bit now and a Yamaha XV535 and some other interesting things that pop up. Really odd how almost everything cheap is Suzuki tho... Not feeling another 80s or 90s Suzuki lol

i was gonna suggest an ER6N ... but then realized that its a parallel twin 

Look at one of the Husqvarna 701? KTM 690?  (same bike :P )

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

On 5/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, bcredeur97 said:

I’m on a 3 month wait list for these lol

My TransAm has a full bushing upgrades like that. All of the items connected to the rear suspension are the delrin race roto-joint stuff.  So connected.  Plus all greasable. so should last forever.

The fronts use an inner steel core with an outer delrin race sandwiched inside an aluminum shell.

image.png.4cce1d33165bfa5f645fb6c48903e900.png

Since the rear suspension needs more articulation I use the UMI Roto-joints.  It allows for perfect bind free operation but they also last longer than straight up heim joints.

image.png.ba78f5c86e3f3329836ea5118e630766.png

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

9 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

New car who dis

20200518_180956.jpg

Anotha one

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

4 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i was gonna suggest an ER6N ... but then realized that its a parallel twin 

Look at one of the Husqvarna 701? KTM 690?  (same bike :P )

Those are way to expensive to buy and insurance is crazy too.

7 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Ah crap. I was going to say CB500 but that's also a twin lul

Bandit 600 / CB600F Hornet?

I'd say a 00s Triumph for the sweet 3 cylinder noises, but idk about their prices

Triumphs = very expensive + very expensive insurance

Bandit 600 is fairly cheap at times but is another Suzuki from the 80s/90s period. Not all too turned on to the idea of a hornet either after my friends absolut disaster bike lmao

Also these are all chain driven :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

26 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Bandit 600 is fairly cheap at times but is another Suzuki from the 80s/90s period. Not all too turned on to the idea of a hornet either after my friends absolut disaster bike lmao

I don't know, I found my Triumph Sprint St was very reasonable to insure, and it was never expensive to maintain up till when I crashed it that is.  I was at less than $200 a year on insurance premiums.  The before and after pictures.  It was a great bike and would have never gotten rid of it if it hadn't been for the crash.

IMG_1209.JPG

14368633_1330627256950188_8772901858826024078_n.jpg

1 minute ago, vf1000ride said:

I don't know, I found my Triumph Sprint St was very reasonable to insure, and it was never expensive to maintain up till when I crashed it that is.  I was at less than $200 a year on insurance premiums.  The before and after pictures.  It was a great bike and would have never gotten rid of it if it hadn't been for the crash.

IMG_1209.JPG

14368633_1330627256950188_8772901858826024078_n.jpg

If it's made in the 2000s, insurance rises extremely steeply. Its about triple what a 99 bike of the same model insures for. And I think you underestimate how cheap I am with buying bikes, that does not look like something in my price range :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

If it's made in the 2000s, insurance rises extremely steeply. Its about triple what a 99 bike of the same model insures for. And I think you underestimate how cheap I am with buying bikes, that does not look like something in my price range :P

I can believe that, different countries/areas have much different rules and pricing.  Here is my replacement for the Sprint once I was back ready to ride again.  Certainly not cheap for either the bike or the insurance.  2016 Ducati Multistrada, Pikes Peak edition.

IMG_20170910_130717052.jpg

9 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Those are way to expensive to buy and insurance is crazy too.

i mean .. i could get a 2007- 2010 KTM 690 supermoto for about 3500 eur. the 2012+ ones are like 6000+ 
you could look into older BMWs .. .some of them are flat 2 ... might be expensive insurance wise tho

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i mean .. i could get a 2007- 2010 KTM 690 supermoto for about 3500 eur. the 2012+ ones are like 6000+ 
you could look into older BMWs .. .some of them are flat 2 ... might be expensive insurance wise tho

A budget of €3500 is about triple what I had in mind :PAnd

also again, insurance on something made in the 2000s is more than I'm willing to pay.

Builds:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

A budget of €3500 is about triple what I had in mind :PAnd

also again, insurance on something made in the 2000s is more than I'm willing to pay.

understandable ....

idk how i personally feel about buying a used bike ... especially an old bike.

also, i dont really want any older bike and i dont even know why? maybe lack of knowledge? (might have to force myself to learn by getting an older bike) Then i end up with a budget of 4-5k ... and at that point i might as well go for a 6k new bike... especially knowing that id want an A2 bike 

Been eyeing the MT-03image.thumb.png.719993759c8754d24e843c74641da77e.png

23 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

My TransAm has a full bushing upgrades like that. All of the items connected to the rear suspension are the delrin race roto-joint stuff.  So connected.  Plus all greasable. so should last forever.

The fronts use an inner steel core with an outer delrin race sandwiched inside an aluminum shell.

Since the rear suspension needs more articulation I use the UMI Roto-joints.  It allows for perfect bind free operation but they also last longer than straight up heim joints.

Those are very nice. I could of went for delrin but I still wanted some compliance. 

I just hate how high maintenance poly bushings are and those bronze bearings pretty much solves that problem. The sadfab people say you could even not grease them if you want and it would still work for a long time (though thats Obviously not recommended) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

-it posted my post twice :( -

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Speaking of suspension...had a GTI in the shop that was just beat to shit. Came for a used car inspection (pre-purchase) and wow it was shit. Kid was looking to buy it off a body shop, had been a front end accident but looked like cosmetic. Had some awful maybe Raceland or similar 'coil overs' on it. Complete trash. Car was slammed so low there was nothing but bump steer, coil bind, and spring jounce. The dampers were beyond dead, the shafts were loose in the shock bodies! Also pretty sure the clutch was about done at 97k miles because it was easier to drive than a Toyota! He had talked the shop down from 7 to $5,000. I told him that $5k is a good price for a GTI of that year, but not a good price for THAT one. $3,000 would be an OK price but that thing looked like it'd been ridden hard and put away wet like 8 times by now. I mean wow. Like the paint job and body work looked like shit and then the shitty suspension on top of that. Ugh. I got out from the test drive and asked them 'either of you ever driven or had a car with coil overs' they shook their heads no 'ok well they are NOT supposed to ride like that' and went on to explain coil bind and bump steer and got a little bit into center of gravity, control arm angles, and roll center and how lowering too far actually makes the car handle much much much worse than it would seem.

12 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

understandable ....

idk how i personally feel about buying a used bike ... especially an old bike.

also, i dont really want any older bike and i dont even know why? maybe lack of knowledge? (might have to force myself to learn by getting an older bike) Then i end up with a budget of 4-5k ... and at that point i might as well go for a 6k new bike... especially knowing that id want an A2 bike 

Been eyeing the MT-03image.thumb.png.719993759c8754d24e843c74641da77e.png

I enjoy the wrenching and its what I can justify so old, used bikes is the only way to go for me. I really don't mind used stuff in general, but it takes some know how to spot a deal :)

Builds:

Spoiler

For those Holden fans out there...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I enjoy the wrenching and its what I can justify so old, used bikes is the only way to go for me. I really don't mind used stuff in general, but it takes some know how to spot a deal :)

sadly i dont have anywhere to work on a bike :(
well .. maybe at my grandparents .. but thats more than 1h away ....

4 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

sadly i dont have anywhere to work on a bike :(
well .. maybe at my grandparents .. but thats more than 1h away ....

I'm renting a garage spot which has space to wrench rn, it's pretty nice. Maybe you could find something like that where you're at :)

Builds:

Spoiler

On the Focus RS forums someone complained about Torque Steer and how the MK3 RS is hard to control because it wanders all over the place.

To them I say, "go drive a Mazdaspeed 3!"

And then took a video this morning of no hands on the wheel acceleration with a 1-2 WOT upshift.  There is a slight tug to the right because of just a tiny bit of torque steer, and a crown in the road for water drain-off, and I'm on the right side of the road.

If I kept a pinkie on the wheel it would have staid 100% straight.

the way they talk about it, the wheel rips itself out of your hands.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'm renting a garage spot which has space to wrench rn, it's pretty nice. Maybe you could find something like that where you're at :)

i mean, it probably is a doable thing.
but it still wouldnt be anywhere near my home and id use it very rarely

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

Speaking of suspension...had a GTI in the shop that was just beat to shit. Came for a used car inspection (pre-purchase) and wow it was shit. Kid was looking to buy it off a body shop, had been a front end accident but looked like cosmetic. Had some awful maybe Raceland or similar 'coil overs' on it. Complete trash. Car was slammed so low there was nothing but bump steer, coil bind, and spring jounce. The dampers were beyond dead, the shafts were loose in the shock bodies! Also pretty sure the clutch was about done at 97k miles because it was easier to drive than a Toyota! He had talked the shop down from 7 to $5,000. I told him that $5k is a good price for a GTI of that year, but not a good price for THAT one. $3,000 would be an OK price but that thing looked like it'd been ridden hard and put away wet like 8 times by now. I mean wow. Like the paint job and body work looked like shit and then the shitty suspension on top of that. Ugh. I got out from the test drive and asked them 'either of you ever driven or had a car with coil overs' they shook their heads no 'ok well they are NOT supposed to ride like that' and went on to explain coil bind and bump steer and got a little bit into center of gravity, control arm angles, and roll center and how lowering too far actually makes the car handle much much much worse than it would seem.

when people people putting cheap coilovers on their cars realize they are in way over their heads lol

But some just don't care ... the "I just want it to look cool" thing. which I don't get. I just like driving too much I guess

2 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

On the Focus RS forums someone complained about Torque Steer and how the MK3 RS is hard to control because it wanders all over the place.

To them I say, "go drive a Mazdaspeed 3!"

And then took a video this morning of no hands on the wheel acceleration with a 1-2 WOT upshift.  There is a slight tug to the right because of just a tiny bit of torque steer, and a crown in the road for water drain-off, and I'm on the right side of the road.

If I kept a pinkie on the wheel it would have staid 100% straight.

the way they talk about it, the wheel rips itself out of your hands.

-snip-

yeah that's not bad at all... my basic 2004 civic is worse lol.

I have actually driven a Mazdaspeed 3 too! Holy crap it's bad in that car LOL...like shockingly bad. That's like the biggest thing I remember from it xD

Spoiler