Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

15 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

with a leak in my AC system...

sometimes you needs to eek out every last ounce of cooling you can for a track car... removing the AC condenser allows air to get to the radiator easier.

but if you can get away with having AC on your track car, its the best thing ever.

I feel you. Was kidding just couldn’t resist the opportunity lol

i wouldn’t build a car without A/C. Especially here. The humidity is just horrendous 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@warmmilk

FFDAB2A4-6BD8-4BFE-8750-D3771D54A7A5.thumb.png.6a81d0521c9e4eaa9138ae62d7180035.png

70782E5C-34E1-4A60-A1F9-3BA164C67027.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

with a leak in my AC system...

sometimes you needs to eek out every last ounce of cooling you can for a track car... removing the AC condenser allows air to get to the radiator easier.

but if you can get away with having AC on your track car, its the best thing ever.

AC condenser doesn't block as much airflow as you'd think, at least one in good shape anyway... AND it protects the radiator from things putting holes in it. A hole in the AC condenser is annoying but a hole in the radiator could kill your engine. If something can punch through the condenser and the radiator then you've got some big problems anyway, but you don't want a single stone to ruin your day.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

AC condenser doesn't block as much airflow as you'd think, at least one in good shape anyway... AND it protects the radiator from things putting holes in it. A hole in the AC condenser is annoying but a hole in the radiator could kill your engine. If something can punch through the condenser and the radiator then you've got some big problems anyway, but you don't want a single stone to ruin your day.

what if you have a dent in your radiator but no dent in your condenser?

This was the condition of the civic I recently purchased. Lol. I replaced the radiator but was really confused.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

24 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

what if you have a dent in your radiator but no dent in your condenser?

This was the condition of the civic I recently purchased. Lol. I replaced the radiator but was really confused.

Someone probably either banged up both but only replaced one or banged up one while replacing the other. I see bowed radiators behind new condensers often enough at the shop.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I feel you. Was kidding just couldn’t resist the opportunity lol

i wouldn’t build a car without A/C. Especially here. The humidity is just horrendous 

it gets bad here this time of year too, but it usually doesn't last too long, so its bearable...  but overall I agree, AC is da shiet

2 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk

FFDAB2A4-6BD8-4BFE-8750-D3771D54A7A5.thumb.png.6a81d0521c9e4eaa9138ae62d7180035.png

70782E5C-34E1-4A60-A1F9-3BA164C67027.png

I seriously thought that was an Evo X... then I looked at the rest of the profile and its an STi... suby really ripped off the Evo...

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Like I said its for when you need every last ounce of cooling... if you get too hot in 3 laps you've got bigger problems.  on some cars its also a space thing, depending how other heat exchangers are arranged...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Got a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate today! Does anybody know if I'll have to drain the transmission fluid before dropping it to access the old clutch, or is it completely sealed?

IMG_20190808_170919724.thumb.jpg.30dc48e80b102ca61b2ff5569e007d30.jpgIMG_20190808_170930251_HDR.thumb.jpg.09320802c2281228cf7de14525a20140.jpgIMG_20190808_170949567_HDR.thumb.jpg.8136fd78d95ee65558dd67da2fa04227.jpg

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

8 hours ago, 711jrp said:

They are all over Ebay and Amazon, people make their own. This is the kind of thing you are looking for.

https://pyramid-parts.com/products/castrol-sealbuddy-fork-seal-repair-tool

Bike is pushing 30 though so perhaps a rebuild is in order anyway?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It'll let some out when you pull the axles and then again when you tilt it, it's less messy to drain it before hand so you don't spill the nasty stuff everywhere and on yourself while you're jostling a trans around.

9 hours ago, warmmilk said:

suby really ripped off the Evo...

Yeah well, at least they're still around

Kp6RN00.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I got annoyed by removing the emissions equipment, but this is always the one that kills me.

Not annoyance, just... How the hell do you do that? If my car didn't have air conditioning there would basically be 3 months out of the year when I could use it and none when I would. It's just mind-boggling.

It sucks, not gonna lie. But I learned to just embrace the sweat, it's gonna happen. People pay for saunas when I get it for free every time I drive the car XD

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

man those are cool as hell. Good luck finding one in stick.

From what I remember, Lexus never offered them with a stick. The Altezza equivalent probably did have a stick (and I bet a couple of people even weirder than anyone else who wanted a SportCross manual swapped them) but we never got it with a stick. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

21 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

-snip-

God damn, both works of art. But I don't know if I could own a black car and keep it black. Would more than likely have to at least have the car wrapped. They look phenomenal when clean, for all of those 12 seconds

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Yeah well, at least they're still around

You say that, Subaru UK have pulled the STI due to poor sales

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

4 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Really? Oof

Still selling strong in the midwest

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

49 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Meanwhile...

Subaru Canada Sets Hot Sales Pace with Best-Ever July Results

Although majority of the sales are for the Outback and Crosstrek, the WRX/STI and BRZ are still moving plenty of units very well.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8957363d13dd30493ad85c6f249f8756.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

WHY DO I WANT AN IS300 SPORTCROSS

I'm so glad that literally no one in the world bought one, because it'd mean I'd try to search for one.

Time to import one

Folding@Home | BOINC

13 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Time to import one

If only American import laws weren’t such shit. Thanks for nothing, Mercedes. You fucked our import laws and fucked Chrysler.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Really? Oof

Still selling strong in the midwest

When its rivals are all newer, better performing and cheaper, why would you buy one other than because its an STI.

That was its problem

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Wait, they have? First the Evo and now the STI? ?

What's next? The GT-R and 370Z? :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, byalexandr said:

It sucks, not gonna lie. But I learned to just embrace the sweat, it's gonna happen. People pay for saunas when I get it for free every time I drive the car XD

can't you use use a 12V AC?

1 hour ago, floofer said:

can't you use use a 12V AC?

Nah, weight reduction bro.

In all seriousness if I'm moving it's bearable. Even with the windows up, I don't have a blower motor so the vent in the wiper cowl lets in fresh air. It's the stop lights that suck, mainly because it's hot but also because I hate everyone around me for not moving.

vsjji5gvgff31.jpg

10 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Wait, they have? First the Evo and now the STI? ?

What's next? The GT-R and 370Z? :/ 

Yep, decision was made about 2 years ago

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/subaru-uk-has-axed-the-wrx-sti-and-were-devastated/

Hence why we got these "Final editions"

https://www.evo.co.uk/subaru/wrx-sti/20285/subaru-wrx-sti-final-edition-celebrates-the-end-of-the-uk-wrx-sti-for-now