Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

My guess would be locked up parking brake, they grab harder in reverse sometimes or a brake caliper came loose and is jamming against the wheel in reverse. Anything that bad with the trans should present issues moving forward as well, at least some noise.

Actually, I was totally overthinking it. It had been sitting in a very humid garage for over a month without moving, so the brakes were a bit seized. A bit of back-and-forth and pumping the brake pedal fixed it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

20 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

gotta own it at least 40 years

It's at a quarter million miles and I plan to send it to at least half a million.

Geo tracker:

It any good?

I have always wanted one, they are so cool, and one is pretty cheap on Craiglist.

Bad idea or not? 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/d/hamlin-1996-geo-tracker-2-door/6951881502.html

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Geo tracker:

It any good?

I have always wanted one, they are so cool, and one is pretty cheap on Craiglist.

Bad idea or not? 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/d/hamlin-1996-geo-tracker-2-door/6951881502.html

whats cool about a rebadged vitara?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

whats cool about a rebadged vitara?

The Vitara is cool too. Like mini Jeeps that are affordable.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 hours ago, 711jrp said:

Sometimes you can get away with cleaning the seals out with a fork buddy.

Where can you get one of those? I'd really like to not have to find a rebuild kit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 8/7/2019 at 1:20 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

How bad is a slightly leaking front fork... Just noticed that one of the front forks on the NSR might be leaking ?

That's leaking all right. 

If you loose too much fork oil the damping will be affected, which means you really should take it easy in corners and on roads that aren't perfectly smooth. 

Also if the oil gets on the caliper or brake disc you'd have a serious problem.  Fortunately it looks like you only have one disc and it's on the side that doesn't leak.

Wipe it off regularly and get both seals replaced soon (the other one is most likely old too, and having them both done at the same time is going to be cheaper than doing just the one now and having to go back in 2 months to fix the other one).  Most motorcyclists tend to ignore fork oil anyway even though that also needs to get replaced on a regular basis.  So it never hurts to have both sides checked.  You will feel the difference when you first ride the bike afterwards.

I'm tempted to say that you should fix it "ASAP", but that may not be the right expression.  There's no need to panic or stop riding the bike right away.  Just carry a kitchen roll or some rags so you can wipe off the oil after every ride, be extra careful on the road, and have it fixed (or fix it yourself if you have the knowledge and the tools) at the earliest opportunity.

------

Anyway : Any Brazilian motorcyclists here?  (preferably from around the São Paulo area)   

I may need a translator or perhaps even a middle man for shipping a fairly large part for my bike. (to Belgium)

3 hours ago, byalexandr said:

It's at a quarter million miles and I plan to send it to at least half a million.

it's at 250k? wow. Didn't know it was that far along. Mines at 136k now. Can't wait to stop dailying it.. feel like im just beating on it at this point, especially on Avery Island where I work, it's all gravel roads :(

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Geo tracker:

It any good?

Bad idea or not? 

would be cool heavily modified probably. but is it worth it? probably not.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

w7plqf3c0wpr7mevjxp5.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

29 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

That's leaking all right. 

If you loose too much fork oil the damping will be affected, which means you really should take it easy in corners and on roads that aren't perfectly smooth. 

Also if the oil gets on the caliper or brake disc you'd have a serious problem.  Fortunately it looks like you only have one disc and it's on the side that doesn't leak.

Wipe it off regularly and get both seals replaced soon (the other one is most likely old too, and having them both done at the same time is going to be cheaper than doing just the one now and having to go back in 2 months to fix the other one).  Most motorcyclists tend to ignore fork oil anyway even though that also needs to get replaced on a regular basis.  So it never hurts to have both sides checked.  You will feel the difference when you first ride the bike afterwards.

I'm tempted to say that you should fix it "ASAP", but that may not be the right expression.  There's no need to panic or stop riding the bike right away.  Just carry a kitchen roll or some rags so you can wipe off the oil after every ride, be extra careful on the road, and have it fixed (or fix it yourself if you have the knowledge and the tools) at the earliest opportunity.

------

Anyway : Any Brazilian motorcyclists here?  (preferably from around the São Paulo area)   

I may need a translator or perhaps even a middle man for shipping a fairly large part for my bike. (to Belgium)

The bike isn't being ridden at all atm, its torn down quite a bit because stuff needs fixing before it's road worthy anyway. I would prefer to fix it myself because repairs are expensive as fuck to have done at a shop here, I'm sure they would charge more than I spent on the bike for the job lmao

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Actually, I was totally overthinking it. It had been sitting in a very humid garage for over a month without moving, so the brakes were a bit seized. A bit of back-and-forth and pumping the brake pedal fixed it.

Well I was close, something was seized. I assumed it was driven often lol.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Well I was close, something was seized. I assumed it was driven often lol.

Not super often, and we just came back from a month-long vacation.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

34 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Gettin shiny now.

Don't buy a geo tracker from Rochester, it'll be rusted to nothing.

IMG_20190808_081133.jpg

They said it spent all it's life in Florida.

Rochester is just easy to buy from because thats where I live

46 minutes ago, spwath said:

They said it spent all it's life in Florida.

Rochester is just easy to buy from because thats where I live

Verify that, every car is from the south and rust free on Craigslist.

For those that care, "Framing John Delorean" is out.

If you are a fan of the DMC-12, or knew the controversy, it's worth a watch.

It doesn't answer all the questions (indeed, it skims over a bunch of what I consider to be critical points) but it will make you want a DMC-12, all over again.

...until you see this

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, byalexandr said:

-and removing AC

I got annoyed by removing the emissions equipment, but this is always the one that kills me.

Not annoyance, just... How the hell do you do that? If my car didn't have air conditioning there would basically be 3 months out of the year when I could use it and none when I would. It's just mind-boggling.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I got annoyed by removing the emissions equipment, but this is always the one that kills me.

Not annoyance, just... How the hell do you do that? If my car didn't have air conditioning there would basically be 3 months out of the year when I could use it and none when I would. It's just mind-boggling.

I just bought this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T9M8HQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

On 8/6/2019 at 11:23 PM, terrytek said:

No sport mode sadly. :sadpepe:

Well Subaru really derped and added fake gear shifting, which kind'a defeats the purpose of a CVT.

I'm still amazed that an anyone thought that was a good idea. Even more amazed that they still do. They even give you paddle shifters.

24 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

You are a stronger man than I.

17 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

You are a stronger man than I.

Not really. He drives a Miata.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Removing AC, unless it's absolutely needed to make a bigger engine fit into a smaller car, is the dumbest thing you can do. The small amount of weight savings can be found else where and without destroying the resale of the car. Even if it's just going to be a track only car, having AC so you can blast yourself cool when hitting the pits between sessions is not only nice it's just smart. With how smart cars have been for the past 20 years, the AC automatically cuts out when you've at or near full throttle anyway.

If it's for a street car then removing the AC for 'performance' is utterly stupid. Seeing a used car that says the AC was removed for performance immediately tells me the owner has no clue what they're doing and probably cut corners lots of other places too. I L O V E having AC in my Celica. I even replaced the condenser and made sure the system is 99.999999% leak free so it blows ICE cold in the car when I'm rolling down the highway every time I take it out on a warm day. Why be uncomfortable if you don't have to be? Whoopty dooo you ripped out a 12lb compressor and a bunch of lines and the AC condenser to save a whole maybe 20lbs? If your car is SO slow that 20lbs really made it that much faster then you've still got a really slow car. 

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Not really. He drives a Miata.

with a leak in my AC system...

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Removing AC, unless it's absolutely needed to make a bigger engine fit into a smaller car, is the dumbest thing you can do. The small amount of weight savings can be found else where and without destroying the resale of the car. Even if it's just going to be a track only car, having AC so you can blast yourself cool when hitting the pits between sessions is not only nice it's just smart. With how smart cars have been for the past 20 years, the AC automatically cuts out when you've at or near full throttle anyway.

If it's for a street car then removing the AC for 'performance' is utterly stupid. Seeing a used car that says the AC was removed for performance immediately tells me the owner has no clue what they're doing and probably cut corners lots of other places too. I L O V E having AC in my Celica. I even replaced the condenser and made sure the system is 99.999999% leak free so it blows ICE cold in the car when I'm rolling down the highway every time I take it out on a warm day. Why be uncomfortable if you don't have to be? Whoopty dooo you ripped out a 12lb compressor and a bunch of lines and the AC condenser to save a whole maybe 20lbs? If your car is SO slow that 20lbs really made it that much faster then you've still got a really slow car. 

sometimes you needs to eek out every last ounce of cooling you can for a track car... removing the AC condenser allows air to get to the radiator easier.

but if you can get away with having AC on your track car, its the best thing ever.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

w7plqf3c0wpr7mevjxp5.jpg

Yeah, there is definitely a C8 in my future.  Going to wait a few years and pick up a Z51, or better, depending on what the prices are like.

And poor Toyota.  It cannot compete with the vette, even with that $10k cheaper price tag.

For my C8, will probably look at Zeus Bronze Metallic, love that color in the photo's I've seen so far.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

-without destroying the resale of the car.

I can only speak for myself, but when I buy a car I have absolutely no intention of selling it. Otherwise I wouldn't buy it. My car is mine.

As for the rest of it, I wouldn't agree that ripping out the AC is stupid, just that it displays priorities drastically different than anything I can accept a human is capable of. Cars get fucking hot, even when it isn't hot out. But... That's a matter of driver comfort.

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

w7plqf3c0wpr7mevjxp5.jpg

You know, I never thought I'd look at a Corvette and think "fuck yeah..."