Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, IKnight said:

So much new blood in this thread. Makes me feel old xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

tell that to @techswedeand @GlassBomb, they're the real old men here xD 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

20 minutes ago, techswede said:

The newer one is kind of funky looking. I dig it. 
Drove a 4-2 convertible a long while back and its probably one of the most fun cars i've driven. 

Also loving the little U-haul xD

If I had one of the convertibles, I'd be top down daily, even in the winter!

Here's more of the newer one (edition #1). It's interesting how long you can drive without any license plates whatsoever so long as the car looks new.

orrrange.jpg

out.jpg

bocdtmdfveusz7tbl1kh.jpg

mng1rcvdddxslv8gs02d.jpg

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

16 minutes ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

Here's more of the newer one (edition #1). It's interesting how long you can drive without any license plates whatsoever so long as the car looks new.

-snip-

Whats the interior quality like? And is that a fake vent i see? :dry:

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

31 minutes ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

Think that you will ever try to get your hands on a Smart Roadster?

Have we talked about Fords new 2.7L Three cylinder six piston two stroke yet?

270HP 480ft-lbs, 37mpg in an F150, 18.5:1 compression, a supercharger and a turbo. Really neat idea.

LINKY

Achates-Power-2.7L-OP-Engine-Cutaway.gif

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

20 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Think that you will ever try to get your hands on a Smart Roadster?

One day I will! They aren't exempt from the 25 year import ban like the first gen fortwos are, but they will have their day soon enough!

36 minutes ago, IKnight said:

That vent (assuming you're talking about the picture showing the left side) is the engine intake. :) Interior quality of the new ones is much improved over the previous generation. it actually feels like a car from a company owned by Mercedes-Benz (as it is), whereas the older smarts sort of lacked that connection sometimes.

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

48 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

270HP 480ft-lbs, 37mpg in an F150, 18.5:1 compression, a supercharger and a turbo. Really neat idea.

LINKY

That's pretty sweet, but how does it do on oil consumption and ensuing HC emissions?

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

That's pretty sweet, but how does it do on oil consumption and ensuing HC emissions?

Well... It's a two stroke, so... :ph34r:

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

22 hours ago, IAR117 said:

Lexus RCF Carbon or 370Z Nismo for daily? RCF is a bit more pricey however. All hypothetical obv, being 16 and in the UK :P

Neither, I'd want money for the weekend car not fuel for the daily lmao

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 hours ago, patric_o said:

I need some help. I own a 2004 Mustang GT convertible with a failing alternator. Given the fact that I’m 17 I am obviously young, relatively dumb, and just about broke. This being said I have no idea what to look for in an alternator. I’m seeing prices range from $70-400USD and as most people I want to spend as little as possible and still get a reliable product. Can anyone help me find a new(at least new to me) alternator?? 

2004 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L convertible

My family got the cheapest one out of Autozone for our 2000 Mustang several years ago, it's still going strong. Don't get a super chinese knockoff or anything, but even a cheap commonly known alternator should last you a while.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Quick question to scooter owners, is it normal for the oil pump(2T engine) to go bust in ~24000 km? Because mine did and the engine and exhaust is swimming in oil...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z0mcr4e27dy6ubd/AABPqE_OQGH_H9gbb0lMEsnaa?dl=0

Dont own a scooter but did alot of 2T work ... my advice ( as most of the folks here do ) , is to completely remove the oil pump and mix your own gas ... those things are known to fail without any feedback , and bye bye goes your engine . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Preformed a very quick visual inspection of the Miata’s front end.

Hide contents

5FAC4461-D9E9-424B-B795-66BA13AB4878.thumb.jpeg.c029642b12139db61206258a95599bc4.jpeg067D5EFD-061C-4E96-9AFE-9DBA1F73C251.thumb.jpeg.cd89ec25684c8769c1349cb03933e2e7.jpeg85015621-8E99-46AF-B603-58041536FEB7.thumb.jpeg.1fa34333dea1c884333ce7462a0af2b9.jpeg62504BEC-5D06-4F88-9352-B21A1F5C1EA2.thumb.jpeg.16e2f7b2e04e0fec88f91ce37b90d259.jpeg

00A96066-7B2A-4EB7-8F7E-DFC3392AF3A0.thumb.jpeg.674ea5dde04a80800c169490104e5b01.jpeg

Didn’t really see anything out of the ordinary, though I will say those upper control arm bushings look kinda sad. Can’t even see the lower ones, but I’m sure they are close to the same. 

Wheel bearings were good and there here wasn’t any obvious movement from anything underneath when grabbing and moving the wheels. 

Greased my slave cylinder where it meets the clutch fork since it was starting to squeak again. Then went around the car spraying different joints with some silicone spray. 

Checked fluids and all was good. Need to change oil this weekend as it’s at 5500 miles. About that time. and yes, Im gonna replace that nearly bald bridgestone tire.. lol i have a replacement for it sitting in the garage... I just need to wake up early on a Saturday to go get it dealt with

Just worried about how much im gonna have to spend on this thing in the near future. bushings, shocks, bumpstops, and probably the defective clutch I’ve talked about.. which I guess I’m gonna replace with the $400 flyin Miata “stage 1” kit everyone seems to get.... because I want to make sure it’s done right and I’m afraid to go stock again even tho this one was probably “just” a defective pressure plate judging by how "soft" it feels when it engages...

but yeah all that can easily be $1500 and a lot of work. Sigh

/cc @warmmilk

if you're tight on money, bushings aren't a huge priority unless they're making a clunking noise...  then again, whiteline bushings are relatively cheap if you're willing to put in the work... energy is even cheaper, but I wouldn't do energy...

whats wrong with your clutch?

just get coilovers... :D 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Just now, ColonelThunder said:

Dont own a scooter but did alot of 2T work ... my advice ( as most of the folks here do ) , is to completely remove the oil pump and mix your own gas ... those things are known to fail without any feedback , and bye bye goes your engine .

Great... One more reason to sell it, i wanted to do it anyway. This thing eats a lot of gas, about 5l/100km....

Just now, warmmilk said:

if you're tight on money, bushings aren't a huge priority unless they're making a clunking noise...  then again, whiteline bushings are relatively cheap if you're willing to put in the work... energy is even cheaper, but I wouldn't do energy...

whats wrong with your clutch?

just get coilovers... :D 

The only coil overs I could get are probably not worth it. Everything is so expensive

I suspect my clutch pressure plate is failing me early. Engagement is really soft, like suuuuper soft. Soft enough that if you’re shifting quickly at high rpm it doesn’t grab (just slips) when you go to the next to the next year unless you let off and let it grab then floor it again.

so I haven’t been able to drive it spiritedly... certainly won’t work for autoX. Of course it’s my luck for it to start failing me in ~7k miles... have been driving no differently from always. Tho I do remember the clutch adjustment problem I had early on, perhaps that’s coming back to bite me? (Probably overheated the PP once or twice because it was too tight... makes sense) 

It’ll need upper control arms at least for sure. Because I know as soon as I pull the bolt out for the uppers to remove the shocks they will fall apart and be done for lol so I figured why not just get used everything for <$100 just so it’ll be good for a couple more years...

I need a real job. But then I have to save for a home. UGH life 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

The only coil overs I could get are probably not worth it. Everything is so expensive

I suspect my clutch pressure plate is failing me early. Engagement is really soft, like suuuuper soft. Soft enough that if you’re shifting quickly at high rpm it doesn’t grab (just slips) when you go to the next to the next year unless you let off and let it grab then floor it again.

so I haven’t been able to drive it spiritedly... certainly won’t work for autoX. Of course it’s my luck for it to start failing me in ~7k miles... have been driving no differently from always. Tho I do remember the clutch adjustment problem I had early on, perhaps that’s coming back to bite me? (Probably overheated the PP once or twice because it was too tight... makes sense) 

It’ll need upper control arms at least for sure. Because I know as soon as I pull the bolt out for the uppers to remove the shocks they will fall apart and be done for lol so I figured why not just get used everything for <$100 just so it’ll be good for a couple more years...

I need a real job. But then I have to save for a home. UGH life 

keep an eye out for a used set of coilovers, a quality set might pop up for a good price

sucks about the clutch...

if you go poly bushings, do upper and lower.  if you do just upper it'll put more load on the lowers and those will go out pretty quick after... so you might as well do it at the same time.  if you just go with oem replacement you can prolly get away with just the uppers.

I hear you on the home thing... I'm trying to buy a duplex right now, its really hard finding something decent for a price I can afford...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

45 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Great... One more reason to sell it, i wanted to do it anyway. This thing eats a lot of gas, about 5l/100km....

Big bore kit or bust xD

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

56 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Well... It's a two stroke, so... :ph34r:

love how I posted this the other day and no one cared... or maybe I didn't. I know I texted it to a couple people lol

28 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

keep an eye out for a used set of coilovers, a quality set might pop up for a good price

sucks about the clutch...

if you go poly bushings, do upper and lower.  if you do just upper it'll put more load on the lowers and those will go out pretty quick after... so you might as well do it at the same time.  if you just go with oem replacement you can prolly get away with just the uppers.

I hear you on the home thing... I'm trying to buy a duplex right now, its really hard finding something decent for a price I can afford...

no one is going to give away good(Like Ohlins good) coilovers for the price of me just getting shocks. so I might as well just get shocks...  shocks keep the car easy to sneak into a regional autocross anyway and be competitive... lol

But yeah I guess ill have to get a clutch and just change it one weekend in my parents garage. If that other local miata guy I know won't help me again... I'd feel kinda bad asking because I know he'll say yes but I don't want to be in his way if he actually doesn't want to help lol

I think im just going to do factory bushings.. I dont want to deal with pressing stuff in

but yeah.. a real job first and then I need to immediately start saving for a big down payment on a home. Can't really be spending money right now... I could rent but that's pretty useless.. and rates are high right now.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

love how I posted this the other day and no one cared... or maybe I didn't. I know I texted it to a couple people lol

no one is going to give away good(Like Ohlins good) coilovers for the price of me just getting shocks. so I might as well just get shocks...  shocks keep the car easy to sneak into a regional autocross anyway and be competitive... lol

But yeah I guess ill have to get a clutch and just change it one weekend in my parents garage. If that other local miata guy I know won't help me again... I'd feel kinda bad asking because I know he'll say yes but I don't want to be in his way if he actually doesn't want to help lol

I think im just going to do factory bushings.. I dont want to deal with pressing stuff in

but yeah.. a real job first and then I need to immediately start saving for a big down payment on a home. Can't really be spending money right now... I could rent but that's pretty useless.. and rates are high right now.

you have to press in factory bushings too... unless you just get a new control arm...

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

LINKY

Man its going to get interesting if there is any stretch in the pistons, driving down the road start to hear your pistons kissing xD 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

you have to press in factory bushings too... unless you just get a new control arm...

Yeah I would just get control arms...

If I had a hydraulic press I'd do it..

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Big bore kit or bust xD

More like 2T+high RPM... The factory 45 km/h was too slow for our non-existent transport culture so i had to throw out the chokes and the original CDI so it wont be limited.

4 hours ago, IKnight said:

Bruh, Smart's are rear engined.

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

LINKY

>new

>two stroke

>three cylinder six piston

wtf

Numbers look pretty good tho. Maintenance will be a bitch tho, since working on that won't be easy and no one will know how to do anything in the first few years...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

8 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Bruh, Smart's are rear engined.

>new

>two stroke

>three cylinder six piston

wtf

Numbers look pretty good tho. Maintenance will be a bitch tho, since working on that won't be easy and no one will know how to do anything in the first few years...

It may have two crank shafts, but no cams, no valves, no lifters, no timing chains, no timing tensioners etc. Two strokes are mechanically simple, although this is admittedly a complex two stroke.