Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

15k? on repairs?? that's crazy. and it didn't even look like that much damage. and what engine does it have?

audi's supercharged 3.0L "TFSI" engine. he's only buying the quattro models (which come with a real transmission) with the prestige or better package. best bang for the buck since the cars can be $80k with options when new yet it adds like no value in the used market lol

he's getting another one. he really likes that car, his favorite of all he's ever owned. Only thing I haven't been able to successfully talk him into is the APR tune for it.... which is like amazing lol. probably the most tunable car out there right now in terms of what you gain from it for just a ecu flash...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

audi's superchaged 3.0L engine.

he's getting another one. he really likes that car, his favorite of all he's ever owned. Only thing I haven't been able to successfully talk him into is the APR tune for it.... which is like amazing lol. probably the most tunable car out there right now in terms of what you gain from it for just a ecu flash...

Thread's history with tunes ain't great though. So it might be for the best
Lest the JuJu gets him too.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

5 minutes ago, techswede said:

Thread's history with tunes ain't great though. So it might be for the best
Lest the JuJu gets him too.

yes... just that engine seems to not die. Look everywhere, no one has problems with it.

It's an extremely well made engine... that no one seems to know about haha

it's used in the S4, S5, A6, A7, and the SQ5. usually coupled with the ZF 8 speed which is also famously strong and pretty bulletproof.. real quick for an auto too I might add. sometimes it's coupled with a 7 speed DSG, I can't speak for that transmission. I'm sure it's fast but probably doesn't last as long.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Highest mileage Audi 3.0L TFSI(I really should find the engine code)  I've heard of was at 250k miles in an A6. Still was going strong according to the owner too!

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

highest milage one i've heard of was at 250k miles in an A6. Still was going strong according to the owner too!

Sounds like a really good V6 for other things *Cough* swap *Cough*

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Sounds like a really good V6 for other things *Cough* swap *Cough*

I wish it wasn't so wide. It's a 90 degree V angle so it won't fit in a miata :/

at least not without SIGNIFICANT modification. Otherwise I would of bought his car from insurance and pulled the motor...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I wish it wasn't so wide. It's a 90 degree V angle so it won't fit in a miata :/

at least not without SIGNIFICANT modification. Otherwise I would of bought his car from insurance and pulled the motor...

Bummer :(

Would also put you in another class in the Autox i guess

To illustrate how capable this engine is with just a tune; an A6 3.0T (should be 3.0S imo) will do approx. 193 mph with just a reflash

And you can literally buy one for as little as $15k

Spoiler

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Bummer :(

Would also put you in another class in the Autox i guess

With that engine under the hood I doubt I would care. LOL

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

To illustrate how capable this engine is with just a tune; an A6 3.0T (should be 3.0S imo) will do approx. 193 mph with just a reflash

And you can literally buy one for as little as $15k

Wish my car was that quiet on the highway...

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

With that engine under the hood I doubt I would care. LOL

Get VD to 3d print a miata plastic cover for it. 
"Totally stock" 

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

Wish my car was that quiet on the highway...

Get VD to 3d print a miata plastic cover for it. 
"Totally stock" 

yeah it's a super quiet and comfortable car... I wouldn't call it sporty but it can certainly get moving in terms of straight-line. It's not bad in the corners though, just feels big and the steering feel isn't too great but that's pretty typical for electric PS.

I'd totally do that haha! and If I get a turbo build a heatshield that goes over the whole thing and just tell everyone "oh that's just the exhaust manifold" :P

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

approx. $15k in repairs (remember what I said... Lafayette is literally the single most expensive place in the entire 48 states for car repairs... Still have no clue WHY) on an 18k car. Pretty close but they decided to total it.

Pfft, I highly doubt the repairs are worth $15k.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Pfft, I highly doubt the repairs are worth $15k.

no. but a shop that does it perfectly right cost money

Spoiler

no. but a shop that does it perfectly right cost money

Even then, parts + labor for a tbone like that shouldn't cost that much unless the car is made of glass.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Even then, parts + labor for a tbone like that shouldn't cost that much unless the car is made of glass.

but it does. so rip

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

tubeframe front end no ballz

so why not just buy the car back and just take it apart just for the fun of it? also if you ever need to do anything to your other car you can tear down the totaled one so if you break something it doesn't render the car useless.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Highest mileage Audi 3.0L TFSI(I really should find the engine code)  I've heard of was at 250k miles in an A6. Still was going strong according to the owner too!

was that your dad? or close?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

tubeframe front end no ballz

so why not just buy the car back and just take it apart just for the fun of it? also if you ever need to do anything to your other car you can tear down the totaled one so if you break something it doesn't render the car useless.

was that your dad? or close?

lol don't have any space to do that

no my dad was only at 110k miles lol

Spoiler

lol don't have any space to do that

no my dad was only at 110k miles lol

so you'll just let the insurance scrap it?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Witnessed an accident this afternoon:

On my way home from work I was on the death highway (literally see an accident on hwy 90 south of lafayette every other day) in the right lane, to my left was a silver saturn vue. We were both driving pretty normally, approaching some cars up ahead we both started slowing down. 

Then all of a sudden about the point when my coasting stops and the actual braking begins to stop behind the cars at the lights, the saturn vue just... stopped braking. It was at that moment I knew... welp hope everyone has their seatbelts on because this is a ~30mph crash about to happen, and immediately I moved over to the far right side of the road and slowed down so I could get a good view of it. (sounds long but this all happened in ~2 seconds lol)

Sure enough, the Saturn vue, slammed right into the back of the buick crossover thing, which then softly hit the Ford Explorer in front of it (he didn't even have any marks, dents or anything... good for him). He kinda hit the car at an angle and bounced to the right, and ended up stopping ~100 feet later dead in the middle of the road. 

I stayed in the right lane and decided I'd check on everyone and be a witness because I know no one else is gonna do it since everyone is a jerk... so I pulled off the road and got out, first checked on the vue driver. He was physically fine, which was surprising considering the 30mph incident and enough G to make his airbags go. But it immediately became clear -- he was not "there," he was having some kind of mental issue. DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN DRIVING.

The others I checked on were fine, no one had complaints, the Buick driver just had a quick checkup by the paramedics in the end which they suggested her to do. When I knew everyone was good I immediately moved to fixing the most aggravating thing ever -- cars blocking the road after an accident occurred and NO ONE MOVING ANYTHING OUT OF THE WAY. The Buick and the explorer were easy, just got them to move to the far left since their cars still worked. The Vue was ded... So i got everyone to help push it to the far left... I remember almost slipping on coolant. Man is coolant slippery... now I know why race cars don't use it lol

Surprisingly the driver of the Vue HELPED PUSH HIS CAR. Though because he was not in his full state of mind it took him literally a minute after I told him to put it back in park to figure out what I meant.... when the Officer showed up he then started complaining about being hurt... (figures lol..). But since I know he needed help anyway... I didn't say anything. It was just best for him to go to a hospital. and at least with my witness account on paper -- he was def in the wrong, there was no way of him getting around it.

In the end I filled out a report and resumed my way home. Hoping that Vue driver(who was being put on a stretcher and surrounded by paramedics) is never allowed back on the road again.... at least certainly not in his current form. Good Lord, why do we have to share roads filled with 2 ton machines with people like this?? 

Spoiler

21 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you know what the big thing is that truly bothers me about CVT's? 

Response... 

Floor it in a CVT car and maybe 2 whole seconds later the car will do something...

The theory is good, to constantly keep the engine in it's power band. In practice they are horrid, even worse than torque converter automatics from a few years ago.

27 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so you'll just let the insurance scrap it?

if you want it, come get it...

Spoiler

Preformed a very quick visual inspection of the Miata’s front end.

Spoiler

5FAC4461-D9E9-424B-B795-66BA13AB4878.thumb.jpeg.c029642b12139db61206258a95599bc4.jpeg067D5EFD-061C-4E96-9AFE-9DBA1F73C251.thumb.jpeg.cd89ec25684c8769c1349cb03933e2e7.jpeg85015621-8E99-46AF-B603-58041536FEB7.thumb.jpeg.1fa34333dea1c884333ce7462a0af2b9.jpeg62504BEC-5D06-4F88-9352-B21A1F5C1EA2.thumb.jpeg.16e2f7b2e04e0fec88f91ce37b90d259.jpeg

00A96066-7B2A-4EB7-8F7E-DFC3392AF3A0.thumb.jpeg.674ea5dde04a80800c169490104e5b01.jpeg

Didn’t really see anything out of the ordinary, though I will say those upper control arm bushings look kinda sad. Can’t even see the lower ones, but I’m sure they are close to the same. 

Wheel bearings were good and there here wasn’t any obvious movement from anything underneath when grabbing and moving the wheels. 

Greased my slave cylinder where it meets the clutch fork since it was starting to squeak again. Then went around the car spraying different joints with some silicone spray. 

Checked fluids and all was good. Need to change oil this weekend as it’s at 5500 miles. About that time. and yes, Im gonna replace that nearly bald bridgestone tire.. lol i have a replacement for it sitting in the garage... I just need to wake up early on a Saturday to go get it dealt with

Just worried about how much im gonna have to spend on this thing in the near future. bushings, shocks, bumpstops, and probably the defective clutch I’ve talked about.. which I guess I’m gonna replace with the $400 flyin Miata “stage 1” kit everyone seems to get.... because I want to make sure it’s done right and I’m afraid to go stock again even tho this one was probably “just” a defective pressure plate judging by how "soft" it feels when it engages...

but yeah all that can easily be $1500 and a lot of work. Sigh

/cc @warmmilk

Spoiler

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

dat lack of rust tho

Car stays outside too. See told you nothing rusts here. Not even Mazda’s lol

Spoiler