Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

That's basically what the Redbull aeroscreen concept was. Not plastic per se but a superbly strong material that could withstand solid objects. A few drivers complained about parallax distortion, the most vocal group being Ferrari/Vettel (who coincidentally were developing the Halo at the time) so the consensus dropped it.

If designed properly it would have the strength of a fighter jet canopy although without being closed off completely it will still have its limitations.

In either case, driver extraction is going to be as big of a hurdle as blocking the debris itself.

XPB_804597_HiRes.jpg

WRT the vision - yes to any lay the pillar in the middle would seem at first to be pretty intrusive, but several aye maps of current and previous F1 drivers all show correlation for increased peripheral vision even without the halo.

Video from Tobii - yes, that Tobii. TL:DR F1 drivers train their brains to process peripheral information several times faster than the average human.

But even when simulated with pretty competent simracers you often see them trying to look straight through the central support or physically hunching down and to either side to get around it - not really an option when you're strapped in with a HANS and shoulder restraint.

found the video, I was thinking the more jet fighter option over what the redbull car has.  and when I said plastic I mostly meant "some exotic F1 not glass material" which is some form of plastic or another

about the eye tracking video.  I mean yes, F1 drivers are part alien... but some of the stuff they're blowing out of proportion...  like checking the rear view mirror.  there's a lot less to look for on track, it basically just to check if there's a car behind you.  and if you're alone on the track its literally just out of habit and not actually looking for anything.  If he was in an actual race and there was someone behind him attempting to pass, he prolly would have looked at the mirror a bit longer.  When you're driving on the street there's a lot more info to consider and take into account... and the whole "omg he pressed the green bit button without looking at it"... really? wtf? I press buttons in my car all the time without looking at them, its muscle memory... and also why touch screens are the devil.

side note: the touch screen is my most hated modern technology

@bcredeur97 cause you chimed in on this subject too

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

so. erm, can you guys help me with something ?
I need new headlights. I can't see anything through my halogen bulbs.

idk what to pick tho. Idk if I should go LED or HID
I got around 60-70$ cad for it.

I want something in the 6000k-8000k range, and reaaally bright.

idk what will fit tho.

I have a 2005 solara SLE coupe with the V6.

thanks !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

9 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

so. erm, can you guys help me with something ?
I need new headlights. I can't see anything through my halogen bulbs.

idk what to pick tho. Idk if I should go LED or HID
I got around 60-70$ cad for it.

I want something in the 6000k-8000k range, and reaaally bright.

idk what will fit tho.

I have a 2005 solara SLE coupe with the V6.

thanks !

I looked up your car and cannot determine if it comes stock with projector headlights.

Unfortunately, you cannot just buy a HID or LED headlight set and slap it into your car. Well you can but it's not ideal or safe for other people on the road. These bulbs are very bright and require a projector housing to focus the beam of light or it will blind everyone else on the road.

The Retrofit Source is a great resource for everything lighting related.

5 minutes ago, kontradictions said:

I looked up your car and cannot determine if it comes stock with projector headlights.

Unfortunately, you cannot just buy a HID or LED headlight set and slap it into your car. Well you can but it's not ideal or safe for other people on the road. These bulbs are very bright and require a projector housing to focus the beam of light or it will blind everyone else on the road.

The Retrofit Source is a great resource for everything lighting related.

I do have a projector housing

thanks for the info but thats way too expensive

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

5 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

I do have a projector housing

thanks for the info but thats way too expensive

There are various kits on Amazon at your price range but I don't have any experience with them so I cannot speak about the quality of them but any HID kit will be way better than halogen.

What you're looking for a is kit that connects to your OEM headlight plug. The kit will come with a ballast, ignitor, and bulb and should be plug and play.

you know what the big thing is that truly bothers me about CVT's? 

Response... 

Floor it in a CVT car and maybe 2 whole seconds later the car will do something...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Response... 

Floor it in a CVT car and maybe 2 whole seconds later the car will do something...

Doesn't help with an electronic throttle.

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Response... 

Literally this. The rental versa note my dad rental had the drivability of soggy waffles. Just had no spunk to it whatsoever. However it drove pretty smooth, with no jerking like an automatic bc it's not shifting a lot. Though downshifting sucked.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm so tired wtf

Snapchat-1413143549.jpg

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

18 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

The last time I looked into LED bulbs it was $200 for a set. For $60-$70 you can get Philips Crystalvision or Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs that will be a great improvement over normal halogen bulvs. 

and my Crystalvision's still aren't dead yet

they really do last a long time...unlike the Sylvanias

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

and my Crystalvision's still aren't dead yet

they really do last a long time...unlike the Sylvanias

the ones on my dad's protege went out last week. we bought them like a year ago.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

40 minutes ago, terrytek said:

the ones on my dad's protege went out last week. we bought them like a year ago.

rip

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

My sylvanias are still the first set. And i do night driving a lot. 

riperino

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

rip

riperino

granted they were bought off ebay for like 10 bucks, but i somewhat expected better than the sylvanias bought from walmart.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a15947346/2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-vir-lap-record/

screen-shot-2018-01-31-at-1-22-45-pm-151

Just last week we told you a Ford GT set a new lap record for production cars around Virginia International Raceway's Grand Course West layout. Now, that record has been broken by the new Corvette ZR1.

Chevrolet announced today it was able to lap a 2019 ZR1 equipped with the optional eight-speed auto and ZTK performance package around VIR in 2:37.25. That's 1.37 seconds quicker than the Ford GT's time, making the ZR1 the fastest production vehicle to ever lap the course.

Aside from a harness bar and five-point harnesses, Chevy says the ZR1 used was totally stock, set up with alignment and aero settings specified in the owner's manual. The $2,995 ZTK package gives the car a whole bunch of aggressive features, including an adjustable carbon fiber wing, a front splitter, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and track-ready magnetic ride control. The lap was set during validation testing earlier in January leading up to the car's production.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Lexus RCF Carbon or 370Z Nismo for daily? RCF is a bit more pricey however. All hypothetical obv, being 16 and in the UK :P

image.png.53ff8c22ad0ed91be59fee4d909a0fc2.pngimage.png.6bd7b3f8da032a68a2e895dee11c5096.png

Just now, IAR117 said:

Lexus RCF Carbon or 370Z Nismo for daily? RCF is a bit more pricey however. All hypothetical obv, being 16 and in the UK :P

370Z IMO, so thicc

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

370Z IMO, so thicc

Defo thicc, but not a V8 kinda thicc :P

Update on dad's A6: Total loss.

so... dad is going pick up another one in Nashville, TN this weekend. pretty much the same thing, except 2014 instead of 2012, much nicer looking wheels(see pic), and only 21k miles.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHjQDiQVQbngVTVYshAUj

seem to have to go far to find the one he wants but he found it quickly. He's making it a weekend trip with my mom haha

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so... dad is going pick up another one in Nashville, TN this weekend. pretty much the same thing, except 2014, much nicer looking wheels, and only 21k miles.

seem to have to go far to find the one he wants but he found it quickly. He's making it a weekend trip with my mom haha

How is it a total loss?

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How is it a total loss?

approx. $15k in repairs (remember what I said... Lafayette is literally the single most expensive place in the entire 48 states for car repairs... Still have no clue WHY) on an 18k car. Pretty close but they decided to total it.

My dad is understandably completely fine with it, it's just an A6... there's plenty of them lol. not like it's some special car that they only made 1000 of (like mine). Plus the car is a business purchase for him since he has to drive so much for work. (he has his own business)

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

F

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so... dad is going pick up another one in Nashville, TN this weekend. pretty much the same thing, except 2014 instead of 2012, much nicer looking wheels(see pic), and only 21k miles.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHjQDiQVQbngVTVYshAUj

15k? on repairs?? that's crazy. and it didn't even look like that much damage. and what engine does it have?