Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

lmao Ahahahaha! Didn't even know there was such a place here.

We all know what they really mean by Daily Special on that sign :ph34r: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dang, that's so much better than Hell, Michigan...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

45 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

385167208319418388.png?v=1

I'm willing to measure the area out of multiple disks versus a single disk.

Probably referring to a sintered clutch

mitsubishi_evo_sinter_6_pads_1.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

54 minutes ago, terrytek said:

So kinda on clutch talk, what I wanna know is why a 6 puck clutch can handle more power than a std. street clutch. I don't understand how a multi puck handles more because it has less surface area compared to a street clutch so i thought it wouldn't be able to grab as well.

41 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

385167208319418388.png?v=1

I'm willing to measure the area out of multiple disks versus a single disk.

I don't want to claim to be an expert and my best educated guess is going to be that its a combination of a different material for the clutch surfaces and a higer clamping pressure from the pressure plates.  Also possible that the extra edges has something to do with it just like how A new tire has way better grip than a bald one even though a bald tire has more surface area.

Also I think we need to be clear what kind of clutch we are talking about as multi puck is kind of a confusing but not incorrect term.  A 6 PUCK is

IMG_4128_25894.1423517724.1280.1280__724

Multi pack is

CC-DSM-TripleDisc-2.jpg

4 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

I don't want to claim to be an expert and my best educated guess is going to be that its a combination of a different material for the clutch surfaces and a higer clamping pressure from the pressure plates.  Also possible that the extra edges has something to do with it just like how A new tire has way better grip than a bald one even though a bald tire has more surface area.

Also I think we need to be clear what kind of clutch we are talking about as multi puck is kind of a confusing but not incorrect term.  A 6 PUCK is

Multi pack is

Ah, I've seen them used both ways by people. Never really thought much about it.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Ah, I've seen them used both ways by people. Never really thought much about it.

You don't give a puck?

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

As i said its not incorect as 6 is a multiple and a multi pack can have 6 plates and to add another level on inception you can even have a a 6puck 6pack clutch.... you just need an intermediate plate between clutch disks... now we can discuss the name of this intermediate plate in multi puck multi pack clutch setup O.o

clutch_multi-plate.jpg

6 minutes ago, techswede said:

You don't give a puck?

Am puckless.

2 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

As i said its not incorect as 6 is a multiple and a multi pack can have 6 plates and to add another level on inception you can even have a a 6puck 6pack clutch.... you just need an intermediate plate between clutch disks... now we can discuss the name of this intermediate plate in multi puck multi pack clutch setup O.o

See the problem is I've seen those so often. Hence the confusion.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

FMIC will get you to stage 3?

Stage 3 is turbo upgrade, full exhaust, and intake. I'm almost there but I'll need a intercooler before upgrading my turbo.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Anyone see the new Antman Trailer?

image.png.de948f7e88314a338ffe4e36a74304e4.png

image.png.bd8b1648daa4d25073eb2fa4a5cbc27d.png

image.png.870b7c09e2c893c94ac108b230d2be05.png

If we had to guess which forum member owned this car, who would it be? 

I find it funny that they put side pipes on the car but left the original exhaust in the back :D 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Stage 3 is turbo upgrade, full exhaust, and intake. I'm almost there but I'll need a intercooler before upgrading my turbo.

Intercoolers are sexy.

I went from the stock sidemount to a upgraded sidemount thats triple the size.

2076tz8.jpg

and then upgraded again to this beast

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9HbbMRGh5d22aEikTNW8

Torn on the piping setup but because I had that stupid 90° elbow welded on to the turbo this made it a straight bolt on and allowed me to keep my fog lights.  ALlLthe piping is covered by the bumper cover and the fins perfectly fill out the front opening.

Just dropped off the Cobb SF big intake at the speed shop working on my car. Feels good man.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Just dropped off the Cobb SF big intake at the speed shop working on my car. Feels good man.

Grats, how long will it take to get everything done?

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

-5 man points for paying a shop to install a intake ;)

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Grats, how long will it take to get everything done?

No clue, it's whenever they get the new hpa intake manifold on.

16 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

-5 man points for paying a shop to install a intake ;)

Kind of have to tbh. I installed the cts turbo intake and the roush intake. Reason I have to have them install it is because it uses a 3" MAF not a 2.5 MAF and they may have to custom tune my car to run the HPA intake manifold because it doesn't use running flaps, as well as going stage 2 with that intake. Either way it was more me being lazy, not having the car at my house, and not knowing how custom of a tune I'd need to get. That and it doesn't cost me anything because they have to remove and reinstall the intake to get to the top bolts on the down pipe.

Edit: If you looked back at my previous posts the shop is changing my oil/spark plugs, changing my intake manifold, walnut blasting my valves, installing a down pipe, loading a tune/pro tune. Not really something I can do myself on a car I need to be done timely as my DD. Also you can have my man points I don't need em, I'm a bottom anyway. :P

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Dang the new Formula E car looks pretty good!!

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

l9y727c547d01.jpg

That mandatory FIA halo tho

oRj4bzW.pngERyvtSa.pngb1fSPfa.png

there's gotta be a better way to design the halo bar thing...

the thing that throws be off the most are the low profile tires... I'm used to seeing a lot of meat in the sidewall on open(ish) wheel cars...   

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

48 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

the thing that throws be off the most are the low profile tires... I'm used to seeing a lot of meat in the sidewall on open(ish) wheel cars...   

At the end of the day the Halo is designed to stop a flying wheel, and given the amount of content it may be worthwhile for FE. What I'm more concerned about is all the smaller composite debris at speed that street circuits are prone to but thats open wheel racing I guess. IndyCar seems to be doing fine.

Also:

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Well just got off the phone with the speed shop working on my car. It will indeed need a protune for the intake manifold. 

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

im still wondering why they couldnt design it so it had two front supports that attach to the body near the mirrors (like a normal car) instead of right in the center of the drivers view.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

People thoughts on this mod? hard not to consider for like 50$ (ignoring the actual air horns)

Inspiration

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

At the end of the day the Halo is designed to stop a flying wheel, and given the amount of content it may be worthwhile for FE. What I'm more concerned about is all the smaller composite debris at speed that street circuits are prone to but thats open wheel racing I guess. IndyCar seems to be doing fine.

Also:

well the smaller stuff is part of the deal... they could just do some sort of plastic windshield instead, sorta like a jet fighter cockpit.  that would protect the driver from all debris and not cause any viewing obstructions.  I saw a youtube vid of them testing something like that launching tires at it...  but I guess it goes against the "heritage" of open cockpit F1 or something...

(I automatically watch all speed academy stuff, so no real need to link that to me)

54 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

im still wondering why they couldnt design it so it had two front supports that attach to the body near the mirrors (like a normal car) instead of right in the center of the drivers view.

I was about to agree with you, but then I thought about it...  if you're not gonna go with the kinda thing I said above and gonna have supports/pillars, in F1 racing conditions it actually kinda makes more sense to have it in the middle.  Going straight is easy, and you can make it thin in profile so it doesn't cause much view obstruction.  but in turns they still have a completely clear view, which is more important than in straights in my opinion... and if they were on the side, even if you made it thin in one profile, you can still end up looking at it from an angle that can make the view obstruction bigger.  compare your miata to a newer car with ginormous A pillars to meet new safety standards, think about how that'd be at an autox... 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

8 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Dang the new Formula E car looks pretty good!!

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

l9y727c547d01.jpg

That mandatory FIA halo tho

CyxjvFUVIAAkye4.jpg

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

12 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

well the smaller stuff is part of the deal... they could just do some sort of plastic windshield instead, sorta like a jet fighter cockpit.  that would protect the driver from all debris and not cause any viewing obstructions.  I saw a youtube vid of them testing something like that launching tires at it...  but I guess it goes against the "heritage" of open cockpit F1 or something...

(I automatically watch all speed academy stuff, so no real need to link that to me)

I was about to agree with you, but then I thought about it...  if you're not gonna go with the kinda thing I said above and gonna have supports/pillars, in F1 racing conditions it actually kinda makes more sense to have it in the middle.  Going straight is easy, and you can make it thin in profile so it doesn't cause much view obstruction.  but in turns they still have a completely clear view, which is more important than in straights in my opinion... and if they were on the side, even if you made it thin in one profile, you can still end up looking at it from an angle that can make the view obstruction bigger.  compare your miata to a newer car with ginormous A pillars to meet new safety standards, think about how that'd be at an autox... 

That's basically what the Redbull aeroscreen concept was. Not plastic per se but a superbly strong material that could withstand solid objects. A few drivers complained about parallax distortion, the most vocal group being Ferrari/Vettel (who coincidentally were developing the Halo at the time) so the consensus dropped it.

If designed properly it would have the strength of a fighter jet canopy although without being closed off completely it will still have its limitations.

In either case, driver extraction is going to be as big of a hurdle as blocking the debris itself.

XPB_804597_HiRes.jpg

WRT the vision - yes to any lay the pillar in the middle would seem at first to be pretty intrusive, but several aye maps of current and previous F1 drivers all show correlation for increased peripheral vision even without the halo.

Video from Tobii - yes, that Tobii. TL:DR F1 drivers train their brains to process peripheral information several times faster than the average human.

But even when simulated with pretty competent simracers you often see them trying to look straight through the central support or physically hunching down and to either side to get around it - not really an option when you're strapped in with a HANS and shoulder restraint.

Folding@Home | BOINC

On 3/6/2017 at 2:36 PM, IKnight said:

I've also seen a few RAM trucks roaming around that are straight piped but I doubt any were driven by actual 'work men'. 

Thats crazy isnt it, I laugh.

Trucks that never go offroad or see a mud hole.

Folding@Home | BOINC