Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I believe currently it's a GTI, she used to have the V6 (or ecoboost, cant remember). 

Ecoboosts, since I got the gti my dad took that car and the payments. Also I'll be getting new spark plugs ect when they do the work. Basically a full tune up and mods.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Ecoboosts, since I got the gti my dad took that car and the payments. Also I'll be getting new spark plugs ect when they do the work. Basically a full tune up and mods.

FMIC will get you to stage 3?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

20 horse got your clutch to slip? Laaaamme

they do say the stock clutch is more economy car-esque rather than sports car-esque. and the pedal lightness out of the box certainly matches that claim.

I may get another OE clutch and just get an ACT pressure plate this time. Heavier pedal, but same engagement. should hold better probably...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Note to self: 

20 more horsepower from Japanese engine sounded great.

that is until 5k miles later you go to pass someone on a highway and get clutch slip. 

Suddenly the smile turns to a frown, real quick.

i never even thought about that being an issue...not once did it cross my mind

Hook your foot under the clutch pedal and pull it towards you

387339840254902272.png?v=1

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hook your foot under the clutch pedal and pull it towards you

-snip-

if only it worked that way.

It only seemed to slip because it like didn't get a chance to "bite". If you're already at 4k rpm and floor it then it's fine, but if you downshift and quickly floor it, it slips.

either way I guess I need to just drive conservatively until I can knock out a clutch job over a weekend once I decide what I'm going to do about it...

and I wanted to do suspension this spring *cries*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

44 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Note to self: 

20 more horsepower from Japanese engine sounded great.

that is until 5k miles later you go to pass someone on a highway and get clutch slip. 

Suddenly the smile turns to a frown, real quick.

i never even thought about that being an issue...not once did it cross my mind

that thing is broken more than a VAG product.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

12 minutes ago, vetali said:

that thing is broken more than a VAG product.

maybe. at least all the fixes cost 1/10th of the price of the fixes for said broken VAG product lol

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

if only it worked that way.

It only seemed to slip because it like didn't get a chance to "bite". If you're already at 4k rpm and floor it then it's fine, but if you downshift and quickly floor it, it slips.

either way I guess I need to just drive conservatively until I can knock out a clutch job over a weekend once I decide what I'm going to do about it...

and I wanted to do suspension this spring *cries*

Careful driving to much with a slipping clutch thats a quick way to ruin a flywheel.  Its always recommend to machine/ resurface the flywheel anyway when you change out the clutch but depending on what machine costs where you live might just be better to buy a flywheel along with the new clutch kit.  When I redid the clutch in my first car the machine costs where just as much as a 2piece fidanza lightweight flywheel so I went that route.  Honestly that is probably one of the most noticeable mods I ever did and I think it often gets over looked.  Although In my case the fidanza was 7.5lbs and the factory was 21lbs so it was a huge difference.  sure It doesn't add any noticeable gains to the peak HP on a dyno graph but the driveabilty from the faster revs is sure noticeable.

4 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

Careful driving to much with a slipping clutch thats a quick way to ruin a flywheel.  Its always recommend to machine/ resurface the flywheel anyway when you change out the clutch but depending on what machine costs where you live might just be better to buy a flywheel along with the new clutch kit.  When I redid the clutch in my first car the machine costs where just as much as a 2piece fidanza lightweight flywheel so I went that route.  Honestly that is probably one of the most noticeable mods I ever did and I think it often gets over looked.  Although In my case the fidanza was 7.5lbs and the factory was 21lbs so it was a huge difference.  sure It doesn't add any noticeable gains to the peak HP on a dyno graph but the driveabilty from the faster revs is sure noticeable.

I have a lightweight flywheel that I just bought 5k miles ago along with a new excedy OE clutch

lol. And it's only slipped under power... and only once.

and you fail to mention the increased NVH that comes with a lightweight flywheel, which I also had to learn about when I got mine. slight rattle at idle, increased idle dips, particularly when approaching a stop if you put in the clutch pedal at say, 2k rpm, it drops so fast that it goes below idle speed for a second. And also when coasting they cause an interesting deceleration noise.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I have a lightweight flywheel that I just bought 5k miles ago along with a new excedy OE clutch

lol. And it's only slipped under power... and only once.

Ahh i should of read a bit closer I assumed it was slipping because it was worn out not because of the HP increase.  Although the fact you do have a lightweight flywheel is more of a reason to change that clutch out as the one downside to lw flywheels is that they are even more prone to warping.

I was also in almost the exact same boat as I put a exedy clutch kit on with the LW flywheel but then came into some money and like any respectable 18 year old would I immediately bought this beast with supporting mods to replace the factory turbo. 

3p5kd6X.jpg 

Needless to say the clutch didn't handle the almost double horsepower and had to be changed out for a act2600 and 6puck.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, JokerProduction said:

Ahh i should of read a bit closer I assumed it was slipping because it was worn out not because of the HP increase.  Although the fact you do have a lightweight flywheel is more of a reason to change that clutch out as the one downside to lw flywheels is that they are even more prone to warping.

I was also in almost the exact same boat as I put a exedy clutch kit on with the LW flywheel but then came into some money and like any respectable 18 year old would I immediately bought this beast with supporting mods to replace the factory turbo. 

-snip-

Needless to say the clutch didn't handle the almost double horsepower and had to be changed out for a act2600 and 6puck.

to me if you have to go to a crazy hard to drive clutch for a daily driver then whatever you are doing isn't worth it.

Talking to people on the miata forum, it seems it's more likely my clutch I have is defective. It should hold the 130whp ish I have just fine. and being it doesn't slip very much (it's not like the engine is going to redline with the clutch out lol, it's just a ever so slight slip) that seems to me like that's believable.

So while I could probably swap it out for a stock clutch again and be fine... I just want to be safe. I'm ok with a little heavier pedal but I don't want anything crazy

Spoiler

to me if you have to go to a crazy hard to drive clutch for a daily driver then whatever you are doing isn't worth it.

Talking to people on the miata forum, it seems it's more likely my clutch I have is defective. It should hold the 130whp ish I have just fine. and being it doesn't slip very much (it's not like the engine is going to redline with the clutch out lol, it's just a ever so slight slip) that seems to me like that's believable.

So while I could probably swap it out for a stock clutch again and be fine... I just want to be safe. I'm ok with a little heavier pedal but I don't want anything crazy

See what you need to do is buy a RHD Miata with the same setup, and have ridiculously heavy clutches in both. Then switch which one you drive every day so you never skip leg day.

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

See what you need to do is buy a RHD Miata with the same setup, and have ridiculously heavy clutches in both. Then switch which one you drive every day so you never skip leg day.

isn't the clutch pedal always your left foot though? lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I didn't think about that.. Reverse the setup.

That's one way to mess up your driving. Would be like trying to write left handed after writing right handed for 25 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Ya I meant to put that sentiment in my post as well.  Going to the heavy clutch on a DD is not the greatest move.  In my case  though it wasnt my DD as I had a winter beater.  Even going to a big dry turbo like that would suck for a DD.  Adds a ton of lag and always having to let it cool down before shutting the car off kinda sucked.  I eventually installed a turbo timer.

I actually had a 95 miatia for awhile but never really had time to get into it as I had the opportunity to trade for a Japanese 92 MR2  so I hopped on that as the MR2 has always been a dream car of mine...  Ironically enough its sitting in my driveway needing a clutch now...

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

RHD still has the pedals the same orientation  the only thing that is really opposite is the damn wipers and the signal lights....

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

That's one way to mess up your driving. Would be like trying to write left handed after writing right handed for 25 years.

Honestly driving a RHD here in north america is no big deal at all and people really over-exaggerate the difference.  I can spot a new RHD driver because they will be crowding the center line.  A veteran RHD is also easy to spot because they will be very close to the curb. Oh and the slanted license plate that all JDMs seem to get because only one bolt hole lines up.

What really is a mindf*ck is though is going and driving a RHD on RHD roads after a lifetime here in north america (even with years of driving a RHD here) that requires rewiring your brain since everything is backwards.

11 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

the only thing that is really opposite is the damn wipers and the signal lights....

Really? That'd probably mess with me more.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Really? That'd probably mess with me more.

Only thing that bothered me was left turns and overtaking.

Actually felt a bit more natural to shift with my left hand

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

10 minutes ago, techswede said:

Only thing that bothered me was left turns and overtaking.

Actually felt a bit more natural to shift with my left hand

I can't left hand shift, it just doesn't work for me most of the time.

So kinda on clutch talk, what I wanna know is why a 6 puck clutch can handle more power than a std. street clutch. I don't understand how a multi puck handles more because it has less surface area compared to a street clutch so i thought it wouldn't be able to grab as well.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

So kinda on clutch talk, what I wanna know is why a 6 puck clutch can handle more power than a std. street clutch. I don't understand how a multi puck handles more because it has less surface area compared to a street clutch so i thought it wouldn't be able to grab as well.

More surface area to grip I assume.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

More surface area to grip I assume.

Which one? Because a 6 puck in no way has more surface area than a street disc.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Which one? Because a 6 puck in no way has more surface area than a street disc.

385167208319418388.png?v=1

I'm willing to measure the area out of multiple disks versus a single disk.