Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I'm highly skeptical about the announced Tesla Roadster and its claimed numbers.

0-60 mph in under 2 seconds on normal street tires doesn't seem possible. At least not when you look at any other car.

34 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I'm highly skeptical about the announced Tesla Roadster and its claimed numbers.

0-60 mph in under 2 seconds on normal street tires doesn't seem possible. At least not when you look at any other car.

The under 2 second 0-60 doesn't raise my eyebrow, but the 250MPH top speed does. 

Electric motors have falling torque curves as RPM increases, so at the RPMs necessary for very high speeds their torque output is very low. This is why you generally see EVs being very quick, but not super fast.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The under 2 second 0-60 doesn't raise my eyebrow, but the 250MPH top speed does. 

Electric motors have falling torque curves as RPM increases, so at the RPMs necessary for very high speeds their torque output is very low. This is why you generally see EVs being very quick, but not super fast.

This, it seems way too good to be true.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

All of their clams are questionable in my eyes. 1,000 km range. 0-100 kmh in under 2 seconds. Along with the top speed of 400+ kmh.

You basically have to put drag tires on the car in order for it go get below 2 seconds. (Porsche 918 does it in ~2.2 seconds).

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

This, it seems way too good to be true.

Smells dangerously close to a cash grab to me.

I get the feeling he's accepting pre-orders on the roadster ($50k) in order to bring in some operating capital since their cash reserves are very rapidly depleting. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Good news! New Vantage road and GTE racecar reveals next week ahead of McLaren P15 debut in december!

@MEC-777

The Vantage takes after the DB10 and the GTE racecar has had nearly 60 hours of development and endurance testing hours put into it already.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Smells dangerously close to a cash grab to me.

I get the feeling he's accepting pre-orders on the roadster ($50k) in order to bring in some operating capital since their cash reserves are very rapidly depleting. 

Exactly, as innovative as Tesla seems to be they arent exactly a great business. Hell Musks strategy isnt even to invent new technologies rather streamline already existing but expensive ones to make them cheaper and more accessible. This just seems like the complete opposite

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, techswede said:

Though i wouldn't own one i'm happy that Tesla is driving EV tech forwards and forcing the established manufacturers to play catchup.

I just don't agree with the styling on anything in the tesla range. 

I'd much rather have this

354016d1493989843-colour-decision-gtr-me

Or a Rimac or some bits from Kreisel to convert my catfish to electric.

Rimac is selling its motor/battery/controller tech to a lot of manufacturers right now, and Porsche MissionE is a shared platform within VAG so the future is bright!

(I'd love to see rimac parts in this Dallara though - carbon tub that weighs 885kg with a four-cylinder ICE)

dallara-wb-91.jpg.82f282cf542182090dab8edd983409c5.jpg

Also the SLS-E was spotted testing recently

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

19 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Exactly, as innovative as Tesla seems to be they arent exactly a great business. Hell Musks strategy isnt even to invent new technologies rather streamline already existing but expensive ones to make them cheaper and more accessible. This just seems like the complete opposite

The Roadster is probably really cheap for Tesla to manufacture. So they will likely turn a good profit on each car.

Nothing about the car screams "New/Exclusive technology".

5 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Rimac is selling its motor/battery/controller tech to a lot of manufacturers right now, and Porsche MissionE is a shared platform within VAG so the future is bright!

(I'd love to see rimac parts in this Dallara though - carbon tub that weighs 885kg with a four-cylinder ICE)

Its a good time to be into EV's that's for damn sure. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Its a good time to be into EV's that's for damn sure. 

* if you can afford them

Until then:

Folding@Home | BOINC

Just now, chaozbandit said:

* if you can afford them

Until then:

Once more manufacturers get into it there will be more affordable alternatives.

The korean manufacturers have gone from laughable to incredible in a super short time. Its kinda awesome.

I'd love a Kia Stinger as a daily. (Though the Cee'd is still the one i want most) 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

13 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

dallara-wb-91.jpg.82f282cf542182090dab8edd983409c5.jpg

IS this old\? Because the SLS been dead for a while

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

The korean manufacturers have gone from laughable to incredible in a super short time. Its kinda awesome.

I'd love a Kia Stinger as a daily. (Though the Cee'd is still the one i want most) 

Kia and Hyundai seriously have become great so quickly it surprises me. I wouldn't mind dailying a RWD kia or hyundai at all.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, techswede said:

Hyundai is making bank now that they're poaching german engineers. Quality is so much better in the current cars

Folding@Home | BOINC

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

The SLS-e is probably a test mule for Mercedes.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

The SLS-e is probably a test mule for Mercedes.

I don't understand why they would use an old model. Can't they make one based on the AMG GT?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

I don't understand why they would use an old model. Can't they make one based on the AMG GT?

It likely just sat around doing nothing. And it would be easier to test electric motors, etc with the SLS-e, since it is already made for it.

My guess is that they are testing motor/battery tech with the car.

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Kia and Hyundai seriously have become great so quickly it surprises me. I wouldn't mind dailying a RWD kia or hyundai at all.

Even the front wheel drive models are quite fun

8 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Hyundai is making bank now that they're poaching german engineers. Quality is so much better in the current cars

It shows. The i40 i drove at work was near on par with the 2011ish E-class

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

The electric SLS has a custom spine. Probably easier and cheaper to work with that. 

sls-e-drivetrain.jpg

Just now, techswede said:

The electric SLS has a custom spine. Probably easier and cheaper to work with that. 

RIP

I actually kind of miss the early EVs.

rvck4x8fostrye9jcyr3.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

16 minutes ago, techswede said:

~snip~

I drove the Audi A1 once. It was a bunch of fun in the snow. More fun than the Audi A4.

17 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

RIP

I actually kind of miss the early EVs.

rvck4x8fostrye9jcyr3.jpg

Rip?

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

I drove the Audi A1 once. It was a bunch of fun in the snow. More fun than the Audi A4.

Old A1 or the funky new A1? Both are fun. (Did a few of my driving lessons in an early diesel A1) 

The new A1 sportback is a funky little thing and i really like it.

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Rip?

Old A1 or the funky new A1? Both are fun. (Did a few of my driving lessons in an early diesel A1) 

Did someone said, Audi? I'm here!

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, IKnight said:

The A4 TDi was boring as fork to drive.

8 minutes ago, techswede said:

Rip?

Drove it a few years back when my father got one as a loaner. Was just a simple TDi one with an automatic transmission. But its personality was so much better than the A4.

Drove it a few years back when my father got one as a loaner. Was just a simple TDi one with an automatic transmission. But its personality was so much better than the A4.

Yeah, the TDI's aren't too great, but a manual can make them funner. 

Fun fact, the A1s were made out of Aluminium so they won't ever rust. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

4 minutes ago, IKnight said:

am8zrE4_700b.jpg

Ah. Older A1 then. The TDI's are good. And the one i drove was a manual. Would've been nicer if it was an auto but then i'd only have a license for autos :/