Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

37 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

That is exactly what I'd put on my list :D Minus maybe the Corsa as it comes with a title of being a bit chavvy (does anyone even unironically use that word anymore?) Nice choice of Cooper S by the way, I agree with it. I personally think the R26 is gonna be too hardcore as a daily, but all Clio's should be ok. Few suggestions-

- Peugout 306 GTi-6

- Citroën DS3 THP, can be chipped to make as much WHP as the DS3 Racing

- Toyota Corolla T-Sport Compressor

- MK2 Audi S3

- Smart ForFour Brabus

Yea, I quite like how the Corsa looks but the interior lets it down for me since all it has going for it is the seats.

I was considering a DS3 but I want something abit more hardcore whereas the DS3s are just normal hatchbacks. Not too keen on the 306s but ive heard theyre meant to be really good, would rather a 106 GTi or a Saxo VTS over one. Corolla TSCs are too expensive for me to insure as are S3s, and id rather not have a smartcar (ik they have 180hp but I still want to go round corners at lightspeed ?) Im leaning towards getting an ST225 as I want my next car to be my first proper car to modify and only have to do a couple of simple yet needed bits to make 350+

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

The C30's are epic but dunno what It is about them as they run the exact same engine as the ST225 but guys back home with identical mods just never got the same power, the Volvo even with the same software always just underperformed. 

I've owned a few of those: 

ST225 - Currently own and honestly love it, such a unique engine and so many mods available. really happy with it.

ST150 - Owned as a track car, took it up to ST210 so much Cosworth goodness installed. it'll never touch the new Fiesta and not worth it doing a turbo conversion as the gearbox is a weak point at high power, but around the track, a high revving NA was such great fun. 

M3 MPS - Loved the outside, hated the inside and way to much power to push through such a simple front end, oh straight line its fast but on a track pretty useless.

Corsa VXR - really liked the look of this car, great seats as well, seen a few tune up some big power out of them. 

A car I would suggest is the Alfa MiTo QV - Don't knock the badge that 1.4T engine is a real gem and car is fantastic, the same chassis as the VXR and you do a turbo swap with the scooby stock VF and you sitting at 240bhp on a stock engine. Really a great little ripper of a car. 

Never owned a Clio, but know they are supposed to be amazing on the track, considered a far better car then the ST150. 

My neighbour has a 225 and it sounds really nice plus they're easy to get big power out of them, do you know if exhausts for the RS are compatible with them?

Think the 150 is too similar in performance to my current car and I've never been much of a fan of them but having seen a few peoples track builds its tempting for that reason

I know of a few track prepped MPS3's that are pretty good but they've had a shit ton of money thrown at them and apparently they arent all that reliable?

Am tempted by the Corsa bit the interior really puts me off, and thats coming from someone with a C2, the seats are the only plus point on the inside I think

Not looked into Alfa's mainly because we've not had the greatest experience with them (parents test drove a 156 and 2 159's, all 3 broke down on said testdrives.) I do like how they look but I don't think i'd consider one, its not the same engine as fitted in the Abarth's is it?

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

7 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Do I sense a conspiracy? :P

Volvo was owned by ford back then .... wouldnt be surprised if thats actually a thing ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Just now, Mister2010 said:

Volvo was owned by ford back then .... wouldnt be surprised if thats actually a thing ... 

Pretty sure the MK2 Focus (RS atleast) uses an outdated volvo rear chassis setup

6 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

My neighbour has a 225 and it sounds really nice plus they're easy to get big power out of them, do you know if exhausts for the RS are compatible with them?

Think the 150 is too similar in performance to my current car and I've never been much of a fan of them but having seen a few peoples track builds its tempting for that reason

I know of a few track prepped MPS3's that are pretty good but they've had a shit ton of money thrown at them and apparently they arent all that reliable?

Am tempted by the Corsa bit the interior really puts me off, and thats coming from someone with a C2, the seats are the only plus point on the inside I think

Not looked into Alfa's mainly because we've not had the greatest experience with them (parents test drove a 156 and 2 159's, all 3 broke down on said testdrives.) I do like how they look but I don't think i'd consider one, its not the same engine as fitted in the Abarth's is it?

They a bit heavy on petrol but so worth it, Yeah anything from the RS fits on the ST. they pretty much identical except for turbo and Revo knuckles, and few tweaks here and there. 

Yeah can get huge power out of them, once my software arrives from Pumaspeed I'm going from 225hp to 340hp with just Breathing mods (Induction, IC, DP, De-cat and Back back) 

That's massive gains for such few mods. 

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Pretty sure the MK2 Focus (RS atleast) uses an outdated volvo rear chassis setup

Doubt it as the focus was always made to be an FWD, so no reason to use anything on the rear from Volvo as they only used the motor and box. They may have shared something but wouldn't call it an outdated chassis as they were built around the same time. 

Also having driven both on the track I found the ST Way nicer then the C30 T5 and the RS is a huge step up from the ST.  

Know there is two ST's that took the S60 AWD system and went AWD, but man that must have been one hell of a project

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

10 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

They a bit heavy on petrol but so worth it, Yeah anything from the RS fits on the ST. they pretty much identical except for turbo and Revo knuckles, and few tweaks here and there. 

Yeah can get huge power out of them, once my software arrives from Pumaspeed I'm going from 225hp to 340hp with just Breathing mods (Induction, IC, DP, De-cat and Back back) 

That's massive gains for such few mods. 

Doubt it as the focus was always made to be an FWD, so no reason to use anything on the rear from Volvo as they only used the motor and box. They may have shared something but wouldn't call it an outdated chassis as they were built around the same time. 

Also having driven both on the track I found the ST Way nicer then the C30 T5 and the RS is a huge step up from the ST.  

Know there is two ST's that took the S60 AWD system and went AWD, but man that must have been one hell of a project

I remember seeing somewhere (or hearing as i cant find it) that the focus rear end wasnt very good hence it not handling particularly great, maybe im just imagining things.

Think if I do get one its going straight for a stage 2 upgrade as its just intercooler, injectors and exhaust and always plan to change exhausts and intercoolers where possible. Celtic Tuning get them to about 330 minimum depending on the setup with that

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

SK sockets are US made and good. I have their wrenches and ratchets and theyre great. I went with Grey Pnumatic sockets, and CDI torque wrenches which are made by Snap On. 

I wanna see if I can find a set of ratcheting open wrenches by them. I have seen no luck in US made ratchet open wrenches by anybody else

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The majority of my sockets and wrenches are all ~20 year old USA made craftsman and have been great, unfortunately they've gone way downhill in that time period. 

@vinyldash303

SK is good, but about the price of Proto (also US made) with a bit less refinement in my experience. 

All the wrenches and sockets and ratchets I have at home are US made Craftsman, with the exception of one set of standard ratchet open wrenches made by stanley. None of the craftsman stuff have shit on me yet, and I don't think i'll replace these anytime soon.

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Meh depends, im looking at these currently once I turn 20 (2 years driving)

Can't think of much else to add to the list

bf32ad7ee83e99df4e75b68090026adf.png

Mazda 6 MPS? Golf GTI?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Who wants to be tagged in my shuttle build log? It will be posted after 7 o'clock tonight. Or in ~5 hours from now.

me

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Mazda 6 MPS? Golf GTI?

Both too high insurance, unless I want a boring Mk4 GTI. Not sure what else to look at, dont like Mx5s, kinda wanna stick around hot hatches so no BMWs (would love an m135/140i but im not made of money)

@Not_Sean Had a brief discussion with my mate about the chassis situation, hes pretty sure they used an old setup rather than outdated like I said thats more noticeble on the RS due to having more power. Cant for the life of me find out where either of us found out the information :/

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

Both too high insurance, unless I want a boring Mk4 GTI. Not sure what else to look at, dont like Mx5s, kinda wanna stick around hot hatches so no BMWs (would love an m135/140i but im not made of money)

BMW 318ti? It's basically a hatchback. And how high is it for an 6 MPS?

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Not US made but Duralast ratchet wrenches are fantastic.

Are they really good?

27 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Who wants to be tagged in my shuttle build log? It will be posted after 7 o'clock tonight. Or in ~5 hours from now.

me :D 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

@Not_Sean Had a brief discussion with my mate about the chassis situation, hes pretty sure they used an old setup rather than outdated like I said thats more noticeble on the RS due to having more power. Cant for the life of me find out where either of us found out the information :/

Very possible, I know the ST (3 Door) and RS Chassis are completely identical. The only difference (And it is noticeable) is that the RS dropped the MacPherson struts and went with a RevoKnuckle design that massively helped deal with the Torque steer. 

From the guys back home who have taken their ST's past 350Kw said just fitting the LSD and redoing some of the bushings with Poly mounts sorted out a lot of the issues, but they agreed do a launch with no hands on the steering and you'll go all over the place, but very easily fixed by the simple application of two hands on the steering wheel, they also recommend this fix for daily driving :P:P:P 

The rear for me even on the track last weekend was awesome, It puts one wheel in the air and drives the other wheel into the ground giving great grip, but I am keen to do a Half cage to tighten up the body roll, but that's there on every road car. Also, some 30mm dropped springs will do wonders. 

If you keen to Wrench on a car have you considered the go to, MX5 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

29 minutes ago, terrytek said:

BMW 318ti? It's basically a hatchback. And how high is it for an 6 MPS?

Are they really good?

About £800 too high

Meh not a fan of the compacts, tho do kno a guy who put the 2.8 into one and dailies it, its stripped and has a welded diff ?

54 minutes ago, terrytek said:

All the wrenches and sockets and ratchets I have at home are US made Craftsman, with the exception of one set of standard ratchet open wrenches made by stanley. None of the craftsman stuff have shit on me yet, and I don't think i'll replace these anytime soon.

You've got me all wrong, I'm not suggesting anyone replace tools that aren't broken. More looking to expand. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

24 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Very possible, I know the ST (3 Door) and RS Chassis are completely identical. The only difference (And it is noticeable) is that the RS dropped the MacPherson struts and went with a RevoKnuckle design that massively helped deal with the Torque steer. 

From the guys back home who have taken their ST's past 350Kw said just fitting the LSD and redoing some of the bushings with Poly mounts sorted out a lot of the issues, but they agreed do a launch with no hands on the steering and you'll go all over the place, but very easily fixed by the simple application of two hands on the steering wheel, they also recommend this fix for daily driving :P:P:P 

The rear for me even on the track last weekend was awesome, It puts one wheel in the air and drives the other wheel into the ground giving great grip, but I am keen to do a Half cage to tighten up the body roll, but that's there on every road car. Also, some 30mm dropped springs will do wonders. 

If you keen to Wrench on a car have you considered the go to, MX5 

Yeah, think I wanna settle around the 300hp mark, as for the MX5, I really dont like them, not really a fan of that kind of car in general tbh. Defo a hot hatch guy throughout with the odd love for fast estates and saloons

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

me

41 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Yeah, think I wanna settle around the 300hp mark, as for the MX5, I really dont like them, not really a fan of that kind of car in general tbh. Defo a hot hatch guy throughout with the odd love for fast estates and saloons

Fair enough, 

Yeah for 300 you won't have to do injectors. 

Look at pumaspeed they got everything in one kit or can build as you go. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

last post 2 hours ago. yep... thread is ded

edit: and of course @chaozbandit times his post perfectly.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Well mainly bc most of it was a lot of personal life filler. if we really talked exclusively about cars on here, there would probably be like 2000 fewer pages or the like.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I just cleaned a bit of my windshield. Still need to actually scrub the bugs off, and clean the headlights.

Kinda considering doing silver or white hash marks like this on my car, could someone maybe toss together something in photoshop?

(Also going to be doing CF mirrors, tint, painting my calipers and a Euro front plate at some point. Had these plans for a long time but seeing them all together makes me feel some type of way)

23559630_1643483362369463_4606539783330242682_n.jpg

21414756_10207971492403473_3456891854495458364_o.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Kinda considering doing silver or white hash marks like this on my car, could someone maybe toss together something in photoshop?

I think that would look great.