Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

53 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It sounds so good, holy shit.

I don't believe stock internals is going to hold up to 700hp(what he says he plans on bringing it up to) and be as reliable as he makes it sound like it will be lol.

It does sound cool though!

I'd love to have a car with a big single turbo someday. It looks fun. Not really good for response though... lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I don't believe stock internals is going to hold up to 700hp(what he says he plans on bringing it up to) and be as reliable as he makes it sound like it will be lol.

It does sound cool though!

I'd love to have a car with a big single turbo someday. It looks fun. Not really good for response though... lol

It'll make 700 on the stock internals. But yeah.. For reliability it needs a bit of bottom end work. I have a car magazine with instructions on how to make reliable power with bmw sixes. Don't know about the N55. In its highest trim it makes 324bhp so 700 is more than double. No engine is magical so it'll need some work.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It sounds so good, holy shit.

A great example of a Dyno queen build, 4K+ before you see the boost, pretty damn useless, Would like to see the graph as sounds like its hitting its limiter as soon as full boost comes on great to brag about but around the track so useless.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

16 minutes ago, techswede said:

It'll make 700 on the stock internals. But yeah.. For reliability it needs a bit of bottom end work. I have a car magazine with instructions on how to make reliable power with bmw sixes. Don't know about the N55. In its highest trim it makes 324bhp so 700 is more than double. No engine is magical so it'll need some work.

Knowing BMW's engines are pretty far pushed from the factory (debatably a bit farther than others).. I'd agree. It's going to need something. I'd assume the crank could take it fine, stronger rods alone would go a long way. Pistons are generally fine for any power output (though ring gaps need to be changed for turbos)... they only really become a problem if it runs lean under power. (which I mean you should probably still get forged pistons for insurance, but even those have downsides due to the different metal expansion rate (piston slap/more cylinder wear during warm up I hear is common with forged pistons and why most OEM's will not use them)

When I was going to rebuild my miata motor before I decided to just get another engine, I originally thought if I just build it as strong as possible and run stock power/ecu it would be same, but last much longer because it would be "overbuilt", but when I found out about forged pistons and how they actually can wear the engine down faster due to the different metal expansion rate, I was saddened and pretty much gave up on that idea, all I could do is put stronger rods but I didn't need them and it's not like it was going to make it last longer... it was just pointless unless I added more power(not like the stock rods are stressed much at stock power levels... they are a low-quality "forged type" from the factory anyway).

15 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

A great example of a Dyno queen build, 4K+ before you see the boost, pretty damn useless, Would like to see the graph as sounds like its hitting its limiter as soon as full boost comes on great to brag about but around the track so useless.  

having the boost come on after 4k is fun. I agree on useless, but fun. Not just for the dyno number, but because it's a sudden rush of power out of nowhere once it spools, it makes it fun/scary to drive.

That said... on a racetrack you are always above 4k rpm, so perhaps it would be useful, I just worry about slow corners. If he can get it to  spool around 3500 ish like he said, that would def be much better.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Knowing BMW's engines are pretty far pushed from the factory (debatably a bit farther than others).. I'd agree. It's going to need something. I'd assume the crank could take it fine, stronger rods alone would go a long way. Pistons are generally fine for any power output (though ring gaps need to be changed for turbos)... they only really become a problem if it runs lean under power. (which I mean you should probably still get forged pistons for insurance, but even those have downsides due to the different metal expansion rate (piston slap/more cylinder wear during warm up I hear is common with forged pistons and why most OEM's will not use them)

When I was going to rebuild my miata motor before I decided to just get another engine, I originally thought if I just build it as strong as possible and run stock power/ecu it would be same, but last much longer because it would be "overbuilt", but when I found out about forged pistons and how they actually can wear the engine down faster due to the different metal expansion rate, I was saddened and pretty much gave up on that idea, all I could do is put stronger rods but I didn't need them and it's not like it was going to make it last longer... it was just pointless unless I added more power.

Yeah i almost read myself blind when i was planning my 190 build back when i had money to spare. 

Its pretty easy to make an engine make a whole heap of horsepower. Once. 

When you want to make it "Bulletproof" its damn near rocket surgery. 

A local race engine builder damn near talked a hole in my head when we discussed what i'd need. 

Materials, Manufacturing methods, Oiling, Ring gap, Tolerances etc etc. 

Building an engine from just a bare block is not the simplest thing i've considered.

What heads should i use, What pistons, Rods, Valves, Rockers? What kind of bore, What kind of piston size,

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

They show yo ueverything you need which is nice. I'm really into this whole carplay thing now that I've been in a car that has it. Not gonna like I kinda want one. It is however lower on the priority list for the F350 than the mishimoto intercooler. Factory radio has aux in tho.

I do want a carplay/android auto receiver (AA bc my family would be running android) and be able to eventually run 2 12s and maybe some nice door speakers and tweeters, but those come after things like exhaust and some wheels and coilovers.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

10 minutes ago, techswede said:

Yeah i almost read myself blind when i was planning my 190 build back when i had money to spare. 

Its pretty easy to make an engine make a whole heap of horsepower. Once. 

When you want to make it "Bulletproof" its damn near rocket surgery. 

A local race engine builder damn near talked a hole in my head when we discussed what i'd need. 

Materials, Manufacturing methods, Oiling, Ring gap, Tolerances etc etc. 

Building an engine from just a bare block is not the simplest thing i've considered.

What heads should i use, What pistons, Rods, Valves, Rockers? What kind of bore, What kind of piston size,

once you get up around the 200hp per liter mark I don't think anything you do will allow you to end up with an engine that you could daily for 100k+ miles tbh. Maybe if you babied the thing, but that's not exactly enjoying it, is it? 

So might as well keep the "Race engine" in the race/weekend car, and daily something reasonable.

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

once you get up around the 200hp per liter mark I don't think anything you do will allow you to end up with an engine that you could daily for 100k+ miles tbh. Maybe if you babied the thing, but that's not exactly enjoying it, is it? 

So might as well keep the "Race engine" in the race/weekend car, and daily something reasonable.

I'd be sitting pretty at 142bhp per litre.. On a 7l engine.. 

But yeah it would've been a weekend car. Though with those power figures i'd probably make it a weekend before crashing the thing.

5 hours ago, terrytek said:

I tried Jimmy John's a while back. God damn, they were actually good sandwiches. JJ's is good for when you want variety, Togo's is good if you want a classic loaded pastrami sub.

Too much fucking lettuce at my JJ, but when you tell them to go light on it they really go light. It's fantastic.

4 hours ago, techswede said:

Man my back was not doing great back when i clocked out at work.

And its been a bit sore all day. On top of that i just had to sneeze right now.. Guess i'm not moving from this chair for a while..

I fucked up my knee by sleeping. It's great. I feel like crap.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

I fucked up my knee by sleeping. It's great. I feel like crap.

I thought people weren't supposed to fall apart like this until their 50s..

I'm up at six in the morning with a heating pad on my back and waiting for some pain meds to kick in. 

On top of that i'm running a pretty decent fever.. Starting to look like i'll have my first sick day soon..

1 minute ago, techswede said:

I thought people weren't supposed to fall apart like this until their 50s..

I'm up at six in the morning with a heating pad on my back and waiting for some pain meds to kick in. 

On top of that i'm running a pretty decent fever.. Starting to look like i'll have my first sick day soon..

More schnapps.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

More schnapps.

I only have whiskey.. Not feeling it at the moment..

Since I now have an OLED phone and I visit the forum a lot from my phone... I wonder if using the night theme here will actually save me some battery. 

I will say the OLED is awesome. My favorite part about the phone. When something black is on screen you can’t distinguish the black parts of the phone body from the black parts of the screen. It’s crazy. I think I want every screen I have to be like this now xD 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Since I now have an OLED phone and I visit the forum a lot from my phone... I wonder if using the night theme here will actually save me some battery. 

Buy another one, leave both on the same page, one with dark theme and the other with day theme.

also when I turn the brightness all the way up on this phone... it actually hurts a little to look at whites and other bright colors. Even in the middle of the day. I keep the brightness around halfway and it’s like running every other phone I’ve ever had at full brightness lol

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

also when I turn the brightness all the way up on this phone... it actually hurts a little to look at whites and other bright colors. Even in the middle of the day. I keep the brightness around halfway and it’s like running every other phone I’ve ever had at full brightness lol

The one time adaptive screen brightness might actually be viable.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

The one time adaptive screen brightness might actually be viable.

I’m actually keeping that on. But the way iOS seems to treat it is interesting. 

Its like when when you set it all the way bright... the screen just stays brighter than it normally would. 

But if you set it lower than usual then the screen tends to stay darker than “normal” in most situations. 

When I set it in the middle, I find it’s about perfect and I never have to adjust it.

they recommend keeping the adaptive brightness on anyway to prevent screen burn-in you’ll eventually get if you’re one of those people who use max brightness all the time (my dad -_- even at night.... it’s crazy idk how goes from being in a dark room to looking at his super bright phone without going blind)

Spoiler

Lol Ebay made them restart the auction.... it’s back to $499 lol

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Accord-EX-2-door-coupe-green-automatic-leather-seats/253244828577?_mwBanner=1

Spoiler

6 hours ago, terrytek said:

Oh you reminded me, this morning while biking around a nearby neighborhood (it's quite affluent actually), i actually see someone pull up in a fucking green McLaren 570S, like in british racing green. i just about lost it.

I actually saw one myself on my way to church last month. I legit prayed that it would get red lights because I obviously couldn't keep up with it in my little Civic. Prayers answered. I pulled up next to it at one light, and even passed it at one point because it was stopped at a red left turn light. It was an interesting iridescent purple. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

5 hours ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

I actually saw one myself on my way to church last month. I legit prayed that it would get red lights because I obviously couldn't keep up with it in my little Civic. Prayers answered. I pulled up next to it at one light, and even passed it at one point because it was stopped at a red left turn light. It was an interesting iridescent purple. 

I'm surprised no one around here has bought a McLaren... there is one guy I know of who has a MP4-12C but that's it... and he probably bought it somewhat recently now that they are kinda cheapish (but repair bills... I hope he knows lol)

I see way more lamborghini's/ferraris/NSX's than anything else around here...ohh and I have seen an SLS once. if that counts

Spoiler

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

What the fuck.

IKR? That's retarded. Fuck you, eBay!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

this is annoying

and it never clears up until I’m almost at work lol (literally 20 minutes later despite highway speeds)

993314A7-FEC0-4D83-82CE-F59D9297BD67.jpeg

also @chaozbandit considering this was a no-work point and shoot, this camera on this phone is pretty good lol

Spoiler

11 hours ago, terrytek said:

So pretty much plug and play.

So this sounds stupid, but will the aftermarket stereo provide a harness? I have never even touched a stereo harness before so IDK what I'm looking for at all.

And really, if I can afford 2 stereos, I'm looking for 2, a 2002 mazda protege and a 1998-2000 lexus ls400 (don't have the car, but it's gonna be around those year ranges).

I might try them if I can't find any good deals from my local car audio shop on black friday, since they typically have pretty good deals, like a pioneer stereo and 4 speakers for 50 bucks. But I might try different brands to see what's up. Should I try keeping it the same brand all around, or can I mix, like have 2 JBL speakers in my front door and 2 Kicker speakers in my rear deck?

There no rule against mixing speakers.  However, the sound signature of the pairs may have a difference.

Here a pic of some harnesses.  These are what you buy to hook the afterrmarket stereo to the stock harness.  The stereo will come with its harness that you hook these types to.

IMG_20171106_073053296.thumb.jpg.4d78f7c8d45652ea41ec81f8a413d011.jpg

Here one hooked to an aftermarket stereo harness.

IMG_20170203_230533842.thumb.jpg.cbc9153fdb5807a0cfaf17e9f3a6b303.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU