Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

this might actually be such a sweet deal https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5976865002.html even though it does have a little more miles per year than our van (10k/year for a 12 year old car compared to 8600mi/year for our 16 year old van), it's still fully loaded with all the bells and whistles this trim provides.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Say @MEC-777, what do you say we go halfsies? :D

If @bcredeur97 comes up we can split it 3-way.

16776921_10154806765106815_298053144_o.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I should maybe call this... "when autozone lets you down"

@vetali update on the situation... lol

oh and when I plugged it back in and it stayed smooth the next restart... when I restarted a second time off camera it was doing the same thing. RIP

Well yeah its an autozone part.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Well yeah its an autozone part.

haha. 

yeah we found another store that had another one and claimed the warranty on it. We also bought a ACDelco on amazon. When that comes in we'll return the duratrash

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just made my first Hunt&Company shirt. Really sad I couldn't get a burgundy one. But I'm more than happy with the white one 

Screenshot_20170214-224124.png

Screenshot_20170214-224129.png

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 13/02/2017 at 2:22 AM, dafiltafish said:

BIMMERFORUM LIED TO ME!! Okay then, so the E85, what sort of craziness is up with its upkeep, same story or no (the 3.0L one if I am not mistaken)?

Generally good but if the engine is an M54B30 then there are a few things that will need your attention sooner or later. I am currently saving up for an E39 530i which I'll have before the year is out so have been researching them for the last month.

The car itself should be fine but regarding the engine you'll need to look at the DISA valve, CCV/Oil seperator, cooling system as a whole will need to be checked but at the top of your priority should be replacement of the thermostat and the piece of shit plastic impeller water pump. You can get metal impeller water pumps so definately get one of those. Vanos (BMWs variable valve timing) O-rings degrade and start to leak oil so eventually they will have to be replaced and while the Vanos is stripped you'll have needle bearings located inside so you may as well replace those as well. If you have an auto transmission (E39 has a ZF box) BMW say they are sealed for life (actually sealed for the life of the warranty) and therefore don't need to be touched but disregard this, the ATF+Filter needs to be replace at something like 60-80,000 miles and don't forget about general servicing.

Errm can't think of anything else right now, currently 3:54am and I'm getting tired but those are the issues I will be dealing with when I buy the E39 and I am pretty sure the Z4s also use the M54 engine. Hopefully that will shed a little light on it and I don't want to scare you away, if you're good with some tools then save some money and do it yourself :P

EDIT: Thought I'd better add this, with the E39 the rear brake pipes can be a bitch which will need replacing, I would look into the Z4 in case they are the same and even though petrol straight 6 E39s (post-facelift) use ZF the diesel engined ones use GM boxes so I have no idea what the Z4 uses but regardless to who the box manufacturer is BMW will always state that it is sealed for life so whichever car you get have the ATF+Filter replaced. Don't pay attention to BMW.

Just made my first Haggard Racing Co. Order also. 

Also forgot to mention I got the matching sticker through TJ

Can you tell I like stickers? 

Screenshot_20170214-230026.png

Screenshot_20170214-230043.png

Screenshot_20170214-230104.png

Screenshot_20170214-230126.png

Screenshot_20170214-230135.png

Screenshot_20170214-230211.png

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

My future car, I want her so badly especially with those upgraded LED halos. So sexy <3

ziIPEta.jpg

lJwvUEs.jpg

bmw-e39-5-series-96-04-530i-sport-S25561

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Pretty sure this is gonna give terry a hard on.

Yea, can't wait until I buy one. There are a few things that I'm going to do on it after I've dealt with some of the preventative things.

BMW-5-Series--E39--1230_30.jpg

MG_5950.jpg

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Post american cars and trucks to confuse him.

LscA4M3.jpg

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

16 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Just made my first Haggard Racing Co. Order also. 

Also forgot to mention I got the matching sticker through TJ

Can you tell I like stickers? 

i really wanna buy car stuff online, preferrably a set from tuner crate and something from tuner cult, but i don't have any dinero. :(

9 minutes ago, FJRiley said:

Yea, can't wait until I buy one. There are a few things that I'm going to do on it after I've dealt with some of the preventative thing

i love a nice e39 with halos. i prefer the e39 m5 with the glorious 5.0l dohc v8, paired with a simple muffler delete, but i can settle for a 540i. or maybe something else i can find for better money.

12 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

already has.

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Nothing kills a hard on like a Hummer

basically, unless it's at proper hummer ride height with some properly sized wheels and tires. like my friend's. hers is pretty much all stock, except for like the 36 inch tires.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I don't like Hummers. The H1 was the only proper one.

i mean the only hummer i like is my friend's h2. its at proper ride height, none of that slammed shit, it's a nice black, and it's actually pretty fucking comfortable for a hummer. like it's got shit i wish my cars had, like leather, heated seats, touchscreen navigation, that stuff. she's got a nice car, and i even offered to wash her car whenever she needed it.

9 hours ago, terrytek said:

i love a nice e39 with halos. i prefer the e39 m5 with the glorious 5.0l dohc v8, paired with a simple muffler delete, but i can settle for a 540i. or maybe something else i can find for better money.

I do love the V8s but the M62B35/44 in the 535i/540i and the S62B50 in the M5 can be quite problematic when it comes to the timing chain guides. The M54 seems to me like a better deal right now since as far as I am aware they don't have those issues (maintenance is still key regardless). Once I get a better paying job I will be buying a 540i Tourer but will be wanting to tear down the engine.

2 minutes ago, FJRiley said:

I do love the V8s but the M62B35/44 in the 535i/540i and the S62B50 in the M5 can be quite problematic when it comes to the timing chain guides. The M54 seems to me like a better deal right now since as far as I am aware they don't have those issues (maintenance is still key regardless). Once I get a better paying job I will be buying a 540i Tourer but will be wanted to tear down the engine.

yeah, i want the m5 so bad, but money is an issue. my goal is to have enough money to buy an e39 m5 plus extra for preventative maintenance and a muffler delete. if by then i don't have enough cash, i might just settle for something cheaper, but still 4 doors, maybe an 07+ gs350 that i might bag, or a 2007 mazdaspeed6 (mazda 6 mps for those across the pond) grand touring. those might be closer in my reach.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oh they're nice, but, dumb. They're very nice, but brodozers at their finest.

i mean it's nice they've got 4wd plus locking diffs, but you're right, they're really not practical.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@terrytek these ones are hella awesome. The H1. It uses a duramax and an allison on later models, and have a system to adjust tire pressure on the fly to air up and down depending on terrain to adjust footing.

the only problem is, they're STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE. like this one is selling for over 150 grand. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5955617302.html and the guy who is selling it bought it for 300 grand. not even my house is worth that much.

29 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@RevoltTrain I'm tempted to get that floral one.

Worth the $2.99

19 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I don't like Hummers. The H1 was the only proper one.

Grandfather built Humvees here in town. Got to ride on a few tests on the local offroad test track they used. There was a point on the track where they were completely under water. I've never experienced something that wild. 

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well yeah less than 12,000 were made.

yeah, you won't see me driving around in one of these. though this one is actually quite low priced. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5963480386.html  looks like straight off the battlefield.

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Grandfather built Humvees here in town. Got to ride on a few tests on the local offroad test track they used. There was a point on the track where they were completely under water. I've never experienced something that wild. 

completely under water? like water seeping in? or did it keep all the water out? and how did the engine even survive underwater?

more america

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Really cool things called snorkals. The red one i posted has one. Its the metal can thing coming out of the hood. It attaches to the intake and moves it up higher. Diesels dont have an ignition system so you can submerge them without issue. (New ones with more electronics might not like that though, but on old ones, go crazy)

i thought diesels had electrics for things like injectors and fuel pumps and the like? so wouldn't they be damaged if submerged?

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i thought diesels had electrics for things like injectors and fuel pumps and the like? so wouldn't they be damaged if submerged?

No, the injectors and fuel pump were all mechanically driven by the engine.