Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

13 minutes ago, vetali said:

Probably the FBI looking at my shit.

lol you have to wonder how often that happens...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4NQ2iNI.jpg

Got a Pixel so I've been taking pretty pics of the wagon. Turbo is still sitting on my toolbox, waiting for exhaust to be shoved into it.. Might just be getting another less rusty 240 anyway.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Snow tires are a lot of help in the winter, definitely worth the $120 I paid. Far better than my mom's FWD RAV4. Haven't been stuck yet, but I got stuck moving the RAV out of the driveway and back in so I could get my car out..

Also RWD with a stick is fun as hell.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

3 minutes ago, Cwazywazy said:

4NQ2iNI.jpg

Got a Pixel so I've been taking pretty pics of the wagon. Turbo is still sitting on my toolbox, waiting for exhaust to be shoved into it.. Might just be getting another less rusty 240 anyway.

Envious. I want a 240 so badly. Nissan or Volvo. Wagons for life ?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Oh yeah, we also have an 04 Maxima 3.5SE 6 speed. Pretty fun car, except it tries to murder you in the snow.. It's waiting for us to put in an o2 sensor and get it emissions tested.

Volvo wagons though.. I've loved these cars forever. Had to have one. Bought this back in May and I love it, even with all its holes.

$200 Volvo 245

3 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

And just a short few years after the Evo was killed, here goes the Lancer

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/mitsubishi-lancer-axed-news-report-reasons-quotes/

welp. i've already lost respect for mitsubishi when they killed the evo. and i say in 5 years, mitsubishi motors won't be around anymore. i call it.

3 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Anyone wanna spend 65K on an Evo?

Me neither

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/689374715/overview/

holy shit, this thing is literally half an hour away from me. i believe i saw this on craigslist too. real cringey price.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Nope, no snow. But everything is wet and it'll be below freezing all night so roads might be icy tomorrow :/ 

meanwhile, i'm gonna get pounded with like 6 inches of rain this sunday. :/ hopefully it doesn't flood my house then.

35 minutes ago, Cwazywazy said:

Snow tires are a lot of help in the winter, definitely worth the $120 I paid. Far better than my mom's FWD RAV4. Haven't been stuck yet, but I got stuck moving the RAV out of the driveway and back in so I could get my car out..

i think that rwd+stick formula is the optimal fun-haver platform. too bad car manufacturers don't follow that, since they put profits over making fun cars.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Helped a buddy transplant his system into a be quiet! dark base 900. Man the build quality on this is amazing, and aside from slightly annoying cable management on the back, it's a dream to build in. The modularity of the thing really makes it a bigger Define R5, but the structure is very solid when you start removing everything. The way they did the mobo tray and hard drive cages is superb, though I do wish the rack was inward a bit more as I didnt have many 90 degree SATA cables available.

DSC02268 1.jpg

And to keep this car related: HotWheels just released the 934.5 casting, so keep an eye out at your local stores!

gk0rd4uisfsw7xpzjnkv.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, Cwazywazy said:

Oh yeah, we also have an 04 Maxima 3.5SE 6 speed. Pretty fun car, except it tries to murder you in the snow.. It's waiting for us to put in an o2 sensor and get it emissions tested.

Volvo wagons though.. I've loved these cars forever. Had to have one. Bought this back in May and I love it, even with all its holes.

I'd love a rwd car but I'm happy with my wagon for now. Just a stock 2.3t for now but when I've got a better paying job and I'm done with school I want to go full bolt ons and a tune 

All I've done is the typical plastidip so far. Still need to do something about those side markers. But in this year I'm planning on exhaust, intake, wheels, tires, suspension, and window tints at least. Got my eyes on some other aesthetic things too. Yellow fogs, oem ground effects, different grill. That type of stuff. 

20161220_155722.jpg

20170101_165739.jpg

20161018_182313.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Truly a wonderful car, put a bed in the back and go on road trips :P

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

7 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Truly a wonderful car, put a bed in the back and go on road trips :P

That's the reason I'll never put a box and aftermarket subs in my car. When I go to gridlife and events like that I plan to sleep in the back or the Saab

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

That's the reason I'll never put a box and aftermarket subs in my car. When I go to gridlife and events like that I plan to sleep in the back or the Saab

maybe get a narrow box and a shallow sub? it's never gonna have the flex or room to flex like a normal sub, but the one thing going for it is it's space saving design. or like i said before, get a powered sub that fits under the front seat.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

maybe get a narrow box and a shallow sub? it's never gonna have the flex or room to flex like a normal sub, but the one thing going for it is it's space saving design. or like i said before, get a powered sub that fits under the front seat.

The thing is the front seats move up and down along with back and forward. Pretty sure if its at the lowest setting it would be pushing on the sub. My best bet is just going to be good quality door and dash speakers and maybe out something in the oem box? Could I just put any speaker or woofer in there and it would cut the job? 

And there's not much room even for a shallow box and to be able to sleep in the car. At the end of the day I'm a big guy. 6'5 and 280lbs (Working on the last part still) 

So I need all the room I can get

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

The thing is the front seats move up and down along with back and forward. Pretty sure if its at the lowest setting it would be pushing on the sub. My best bet is just going to be good quality door and dash speakers and maybe out something in the oem box? Could I just put any speaker or woofer in there and it would cut the job? 

i mean, if it's a standard round or, in weird cases, square sub, then it should fit in the factory box. as long as you can wire it up.

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i mean, if it's a standard round or, in weird cases, square sub, then it should fit in the factory box. as long as you can wire it up.

Next time my audio guy is home from school I'll have him take a look. He was here earlier but I just didn't have a chance to get outside with it being negative 5 today to get that done

So a set of remanufactured Aero wheels is gonna cost me about $550. Not too bad truly. I want to get some nice summer tires for them. I'm really leaning towards Pilot Super Sports still. But then I'll have over 1K in wheels and tires alone. Anyone have any suggestions for some tires a little but cheaper that will still be great summer tires and do fairly well in the wet? 

12 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I dunno thats what ive got into the Ultra 164s were $500 for the set and $700 ish on the AT2s ;-;

The thing is this next winter in gonna get rid of the all seasons currently on the Saab and run some proper snow / ice tires also. So I've got that to pay for too

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well good news is you can keep the summers on your repro aero wheels and put the coldies on your current wheels. 

That's the plan. But the wheels and tires including shipping is $1160. Add a little on for mounting and balancing and I'm easily at $1200. May not do suspension this year after all 

Would buy these and just put the tires currently on them on my current wheels if I had the money atm

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/wto/5944200150.html

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ive decided to wait and spend money on the van instead of the S10. Damn responsibility. :/ 

The struggle. Wish I had the cash atm for the aero wheels with winter tires I added to my edit. 

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

When I get a better paying job. As is I barely have enough to pay the bills I have and have a little spending money. As is I put away about 15 or 20 every pay check. And that's the money I'm putting towards mods slowly but surely.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Buy an ounce of silver once a month. Theyre $18 a pop ish

I'll definitely look into that

6 hours ago, Cwazywazy said:

No shit, Sherlock. :P

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

DSC02268 1.jpg

#goals

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

ha .. rob sounds sick in this video xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

No shit, Sherlock. :P

#goals

Hue

DSC02218_1.jpg

X99 Strix kills CPUs tho

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

X99 Strix kills CPUs tho

Wat

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

12 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Wat

I've known that board to kill two 6800Ks randomly with no explanation - one at stock and the other undervolted. Both were perfectly stable before they went poof.

Folding@Home | BOINC