Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

 

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

 

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Recommended Posts

Some asshole in a lifted pickup truck was tailing me (bumper to bumper) with his xenon headlights in the brights setting. Couldn't see out of my rear or side view mirrors. Why would you buy a truck that big then lift it just for use in the suburbs? (rant over) 


Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Some asshole in a lifted pickup truck was tailing me (bumper to bumper) with his xenon headlights in the brights setting. Couldn't see out of my rear or side view mirrors. Why would you buy a truck that big then lift it just for use in the suburbs? (rant over) 

TPS?


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Some asshole in a lifted pickup truck was tailing me (bumper to bumper) with his xenon headlights in the brights setting. Couldn't see out of my rear or side view mirrors. Why would you buy a truck that big then lift it just for use in the suburbs? (rant over) 

they don't even have to follow me close to do this to me in my miata. drives me crazy.

 

I typically try to just get behind them when this happens. Subtly. the only problem with this is if they are truly an idiot, instead of passing you they'll just get on your bumper... 

 

 

What I have done before is take an evasive maneuver into the other lane and slam the brakes and swiftly get behind them while accelerating back up to speed. usually works if they are being a butt. this relies on the other lane being clear though so it's difficult if you can't see. Only had to do this once lol


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they don't even have to follow me close to do this to me in my miata. drives me crazy.

 

I typically try to just get behind them when this happens. Subtly. the only problem with this is if they are truly an idiot, instead of passing you they'll just get on your bumper... 

 

 

What I have done before is take an evasive maneuver into the other lane and slam the brakes and swiftly get behind them while accelerating back up to speed. usually works if they are being a butt. this relies on the other lane being clear though so it's difficult if you can't see. Only had to do this once lol

yeah this wasn't even a highway it was a one lane road and i was already going a bit over the speed limit. do they think it gets them to their route faster or something?


Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maybach123 said:

yeah this wasn't even a highway it was a one lane road and i was already going a bit over the speed limit. do they think it gets them to their route faster or something?

yeah I think that's what they think... impatience makes people do stupid things. 

I really wish people would figure out that following distance and time to destination are completely unrelated. It's amazing how much less stressful driving is when you learn that lol


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had called mazda earlier.. they told me my parts were in. told them that I didn't want to be "that guy" but I had to cancel the order. The guy on the phone didn't sound too happy... 

 

I hope I never have to do that again. felt bad. lol


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

while they are testing the new beast limo they should take it around the ring just for the hell of it, see what kind of lap time it would post xD 

slngrgalymncsj0glaoe.jpg


Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

while they are testing the new beast limo they should take it around the ring just for the hell of it, see what kind of lap time it would post xD 

slngrgalymncsj0glaoe.jpg

The clusters on newer Cadillacs and GMs have a timer in them :P


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites

today the impossible happened. Timing belt snapped on this kia with an interferance motor. put a belt on, it ran good. did a compression test because i did not believe the shit i was seeing, and it knocked out 175psi on all cylinders with 270k on it. dude who owns it should buy a lottery ticket. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone XS Max 256GB

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@MEC-777

 

Avert your eyes mate

 

 

 

 

RIP Jean Alesi's 412 T1 and Gerhard Berger's 412 T2

I miss the older F1 cars... :( 


My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

 

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

 

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

 

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vetali said:

today the impossible happened. Timing belt snapped on this kia with an interferance motor. put a belt on, it ran good. did a compression test because i did not believe the shit i was seeing, and it knocked out 175psi on all cylinders with 270k on it. dude who owns it should buy a lottery ticket. 

I've been putting off doing a compression test on the s10 because it runs like a top, and I'm almost worried that when I do a compression test it's going to bring previously non noteworthy issues to light. 


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I've been putting off doing a compression test on the s10 because it runs like a top, and I'm almost worried that when I do a compression test it's going to bring previously non noteworthy issues to light. 

not really likely if it runs good. then again i feel i am getting such a good ear to the point where i can tell if a motor has slightly low compression just cranking. 

 

 

had a pt cruiser yesterday that ran like garbage at idle but smoothed out slightly when revved. had 200k miles. I leaned to a compression issue, pulled the intake and did a compression test. most were 175, one was 165 but not an issue at that mileage. did a smoke test on it because it ran like a massive vacuum leak but found nothing leaking. spark plugs were all new, new wires, coil tested ok, tested all the injectors and all were okay. fuel pressure was okay. exhaust wasn't plugged.

 

cookie to whoever can guess what was wrong. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone XS Max 256GB

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vetali said:

not really likely if it runs good. then again i feel i am getting such a good ear to the point where i can tell if a motor has slightly low compression just cranking. 

 

 

had a pt cruiser yesterday that ran like garbage at idle but smoothed out slightly when revved. had 200k miles. I leaned to a compression issue, pulled the intake and did a compression test. most were 175, one was 165 but not an issue at that mileage. did a smoke test on it because it ran like a massive vacuum leak but found nothing leaking. spark plugs were all new, new wires, coil tested ok, tested all the injectors and all were okay. fuel pressure was okay. exhaust wasn't plugged.

 

cookie to whoever can guess what was wrong. 

Head gasket?


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Head gasket?

nope, at least not yet. the guy's son who was a mechanic checked it out and said it was that though. 

 

would of been great to do that work and still have the same issue though. 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone XS Max 256GB

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Head gasket?

A head gasket would also cause compression issues, would it not? 

 

Faulty sensor somewhere? 


The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A head gasket would also cause compression issues, would it not? 

 

Faulty sensor somewhere? 

oh yeah forgot to mention, no codes.

 

a hint, it was running extremely lean. 

 


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone XS Max 256GB

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

The driver :ph34r:

A very good guess, but no.

 

I'll go to sleep and see if anyone can get it by morning. I was legit stumped by this for a while, but got to use this new tool we got to find it: 

 

617954e604.jpg

 

which is kinda meh... it works great, just it pauses to calibrate every 20 seconds for 3 seconds. Kinda bad for $1,000


i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone XS Max 256GB

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A head gasket would also cause compression issues, would it not? 

 

Faulty sensor somewhere? 

I was thinking it might've been a head gasket on its way out


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well guys, my chevy volt might be on the road (legally) as soon as next week! Also I hate it when paint shops don't give you paint that matches a vehicle's color even though the label has the same GM color code as the car

 

How hard is it to fuck up

 

WHITE PAINT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well guys, my chevy volt might be on the road (legally) as soon as next week! Also I hate it when paint shops don't give you paint that matches a vehicle's color even though the label has the same GM color code as the car

 

How hard is it to fuck up

 

WHITE PAINT

Very. 


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, vetali said:

oh yeah forgot to mention, no codes.

 

a hint, it was running extremely lean. 

 

An o2 sensor needn't have failed entirely to adversely effect the fuel air mixture. If it is reading low, and the ecu accepts that input, the ecu will interpret it as the engine is running rich. Ruling out mechanical causes, this is the most likely suspect. 

 

In the event of a total failure of this sensor (readings so averse as to be obviously bad), the ecu would disregard it's input, throw a code, and run a rich (safe) map. Readings that are "off" may not be caught by the ecu as there is little else downstream to verify function of the O2 sensor. 


The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ae86 needs to go in for an inspection soon.... Let us hope the inspector isnt an ass, i have papers that document everything that has been done to it, its also noted in the title but i could still be really unlucky and meet an asshole who refuses to pass my car because of legal mods.


My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

 

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mister2010 said:

yeah ... the car used to be a work car for a manager of a company or something ... and never was abused .... has all the extras except the volvo radio and full leather seats(has the weird half leather ones) ... fromw aht i know

now the car has like over 260k km ... for a 16 year old car its not that bad xD 

but as i have said ... needs some body work done to it and rear shock absorbers and a new exhaust .... 

 

Our E60 (10 years old) also has 260k+ on the clock :|

And, BTW, I'd take those half leather seats. Full leather ones make me sweat like there's no tomorrow.

 

4 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

Some asshole in a lifted pickup truck was tailing me (bumper to bumper) with his xenon headlights in the brights setting. Couldn't see out of my rear or side view mirrors. Why would you buy a truck that big then lift it just for use in the suburbs? (rant over) 

 

As I said before, just get some missile launcher on the back if your car. That would do it.


"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×