Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

HEY GUYS! MY CAR CAN DO 200MPH!!!!

Mine can do 153 if it had the HP for it (with the slightly larger tire size anyway) xD

in reality it tops out at 126. Needs more turbo

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Mine can do 153 if it had the HP for it (with the slightly larger tire size anyway) xD

Needs more LS :P

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Needs more LS :P

In that case it would have a completely different rear end and transmission to go along with the LS. 

So then it could do however fast LS swapped miatas do...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

In that case it would have a completely different rear end and transmission to go along with the LS. 

So then it could do however fast LS swapped miatas do...

Very fast

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

wow, ok, that's kinda cool.

i looked on the interwebs for calculations, this is what i got when i put in the protege gearing.

e20a92002e.png

even with one less gear, i can nearly match the miata's top speed, provided i got the power to get it there :P

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

wow, ok, that's kinda cool.

i looked on the interwebs for calculations, this is what i got when i put in the protege gearing.

e20a92002e.png

even with one less gear, i can nearly match the miata's top speed, provided i got the power to get it there :P

ya know what's funny? my fifth gear is taller than yours, and I have a sixth. :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

ya know what's funny? my fifth gear is taller than yours, and I have a sixth. :D

shut up lol :P this was 2002 technology man. the 6th gear was a rarity ok?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

apparently i only need 10hp working if i want my car to maintain a constant freeway speed at 90mph.

90dd0d819a.png

that is if conditions were absolutely perfect. it might be less because of factors. and i guessed frontal area because i have no clue what that measurement would be.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

apparently i only need 10hp working if i want my car to maintain a constant freeway speed at 90mph.

that is if conditions were absolutely perfect. it might be less because of factors. and i guessed frontal area because i have no clue what that measurement would be.

I believe frontal area is measured from what could be imagined as a silhouette if you looked dead on at the front of your car and measured the area of that.

wow, the protege doesn't seem as safe as i really would like, especially in a front end crash, where those thin a pillars might help with visibility but oh god, the safety doesn't even seem there.

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

shut up lol :P this was 2002 technology man. the 6th gear was a rarity ok?

my generation of accord came out in 2003. :P

and the celica GT-S with a 6-speed came out in 2000.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

my generation of accord came out in 2003. :P

and the celica GT-S with a 6-speed came out in 2000.

well it looks pretty obvious mazda wanted to save money on the protege, not including a 6th gear when they easily could have, and not offering leather on the es sedan, when the wagon had it as an option. though it's nice they offered a sunroof and cd changer. but they shouldve put a 6th gear for extra fuel economy gains. they also had a 4 speed auto, but i heard it was garbage, and unreliable. compared to the manual.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well it looks pretty obvious mazda wanted to save money on the protege, not including a 6th gear when they easily could have, and not offering leather on the es sedan, when the wagon had it as an option. though it's nice they offered a sunroof and cd changer. but they shouldve put a 6th gear for extra fuel economy gains. they also had a 4 speed auto, but i heard it was garbage, and unreliable. compared to the manual.

well, none of it's competition had 6-speed manuals at the time, so there was no need to spend the extra money on R&D for another transmission.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

well, none of it's competition had 6-speed manuals at the time, so there was no need to spend the extra money on R&D for another transmission.

i suppose. i guess since it was gonna go out of production in another year, there is no point of creating another transmission.

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

@chaozbandit you should totally buy one and send it my way :D

85d3436dbf.jpg

TBH you have a better chance of finding it yourself in California, than I do even seeing one in Canada. It took months for the Fairlady 2000s to show up here after the US got it at launch. Plus you have more options to scout beyond just Walmart and TRU. K-Mart is a big player in the diecast game down there.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

$10.40, what the fuck

Welcome to the world of scalping - arguably worse than event tickets because diecasts sales aren't time constrained. That's why people, even in the US, never see any of the rare Treasure Hunt or $uper TH casts in stores because scalpers always buy them up first and sell at a premium.

Same deal for any of the rare car culture stuff.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Welcome to the world of scalping - arguably worse than event tickets because diecasts sales aren't time constrained. That's why people, even in the US, never see any of the rare Treasure Hunt or $uper TH casts in stores because scalpers always buy them up first and sell at a premium.

Same deal for any of the rare car culture stuff.

That's why I was always content with my $1 regular old Hot Wheels cars. Unfortunately I don't have any of them left except a handful. :(

15 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's why I was always content with my $1 regular old Hot Wheels cars. Unfortunately I don't have any of them left except a handful. :(

i've got a bin full of them I'll pull out sometime. that is, If i can find it...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

i've got a bin full of them I'll pull out sometime. that is, If i can find it...

I had a purple rubbermaid bin most of my childhood for toys I had, like a third of it was Hot Wheels cars. :D The smell was glorious.

23 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Have kids. You now have an excuse to buy more hotwheels.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Just now, chaozbandit said:

Have kids. You now have an excuse to buy more hotwheels.

I don't quite want kids right now. ;)

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't quite want kids right now. ;)

Then no hot wheels for you, sir.

Folding@Home | BOINC

@MEC-777 How about this fog and rain tho.

So much for keeping the snow around during winter. Drove through lakes on the way home today.

Oh well. At least she's clean and free of winter slush/grime for a while. Last coat of wax seems to be doing its job.

ltt.png

Folding@Home | BOINC