Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

14 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Gave that a shot, using the model and brand name and all. I left messages with a few local record stores. Just a waiting game I guess

Does it use some weird proprietary one. 

Record players should have a standard for the cartridge.  So you could replace that whole thing. 

Or is it one of those that play 78rpm records. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Why whats wrong with a 4 speed?

9 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

What's wrong with a 4 speed?

well, i mean on a car this modern, i'd expect it to at least have 5 forward gears, not 4. i didn't mind the van having only 4 because it's kinda old, but the corolla disappointed me when it only had 4 gears.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

The less options you give it, the less it will hunt. 

Saying you want the tranny to go up to five is like saying you want your amp to go to 11. 

Why not make 10 louder?

Saying you want five gears in an automatic, because you want 5, unless theres some reason you want 5, is pretty dumb. 

I remember you saying a while back that you also didnt really understand gear ratios or something like that. 

Why not just adjust the ratios to match the last gear to where you want it if your issue is the gearing of the last gear. 

well i want a 5th or even 6th gear so i can actually carry more speed while operating at lower rpms, like around 2k or even below rpms at 70mph, that is, assuming, the last gear is long enough to keep a consistent speed. so mostly for fuel economy. and i doubt there are kits to shorten or lengthen gears for a corolla.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

10 hours ago, terrytek said:

yeah i think transmissions aren't toyota's strong suit, especially on econoboxes. my corolla is a 2010 model, yet they're still stuck using a freaking 4 speed auto. the least they could do was add another gear?

well then that's what should convince you NOT to buy the lincoln. moolah is tight.

adding another gear means completely redesigning the transmission. a corolla is a commuter car designed to be cheap.

22 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well i want a 5th or even 6th gear so i can actually carry more speed while operating at lower rpms, like around 2k or even below rpms at 70mph, that is, assuming, the last gear is long enough to keep a consistent speed. so mostly for fuel economy. and i doubt there are kits to shorten or lengthen gears for a corolla.

the Tundra has a 4 speed, and 70 MPH is just over 2k RPMs. almost identical to the 5-speed in the Sienna, which can't hold a gear to save it's life. 

the other thing is, Toyota designed the gearing the way it is for a reason. that little 2ZR-FE in there likely doesn't have enough torque to cruise at that low RPM, so it may be pointless, or end up using more gas because of the higher engine load.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

If you want fuel economy, you need to make the cruzing rpm right where the torque is starting to come on. If low rpms was all that mattered, then the diesel trucks that run bogged at 55 would get 30 mpg. Its all a system that has to be done right.

Techswedes golf is an example of something that will do good in the city but terrible on the highway because the gearing isnt designed for that.

And that's why we have transmissions with 8, 9, and 10 gears.

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

If you want fuel economy, you need to make the cruzing rpm right where the torque is starting to come on. If low rpms was all that mattered, then the diesel trucks that run bogged at 55 would get 30 mpg. Its all a system that has to be done right.

Techswedes golf is an example of something that will do good in the city but terrible on the highway because the gearing isnt designed for that.

i see now. i mean peak torque comes on at just over 4000rpm, so it's a good idea to cruise right around 3k on the freeway i guess.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i see now. i mean peak torque comes on at just over 4000rpm, so it's a good idea to cruise right around 3k on the freeway i guess.

Vehicles don't actually require a lot of power to maintain speed. Running at 3k is just using extra fuel for the sake of it.

meanwhile the miata is @ 4000 rpm @ 80 mph

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Now that's just ridiculous.

it goes open loop beyond 4000 rpm too. So once you cross 4k rpm you can say goodbye to your good gas mileage xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Now that's just ridiculous.

i think mazda back in the 2000s (or whomever they sourced their transmissions from) had their heads stuck in their asses. the protege is also around 4000rpm at 80mph, and creates some insane drone since there isn't a stock air intake anymore, and the van is 3500rpm at 70. honestly wtf.

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

it goes open loop beyond 4000 rpm too. So once you cross 4k rpm you can say goodbye to your good gas mileage xD

I would weep if that happened to me.

Just now, terrytek said:

i think mazda back in the 2000s (or whomever they sourced their transmissions from) had their heads stuck in their asses. the protege is also around 4000rpm at 80mph, and creates some insane drone since there isn't a stock air intake anymore, and the van is 3500rpm at 70. honestly wtf.

I think our Mustang is around 2600-2800 RPM at 80. Haven't driven it in months though.

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

meanwhile the miata is @ 4000 rpm @ 80 mph

I think the accord is 2800-2900 or so at 80.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I would weep if that happened to me.

and mine is the longest geared NA/NB miata they ever made lol (1999 to 2003 6 speeds had the 3.909 rear end, everything else was over 4)

you can get a 3.636 ring and pinion though which would move my rpm @ 80mph down to 3543 from 3809 (thing is -- the speedometer on NB's reads high... so to actually do 80mph by gps in mine, im at 4k rpm).

but yeah... 3.636, I NEED IT. I think it would help for autocross too... second gear would be a bit longer, might not have to shift to 3rd ever

also I put 195/50R16 rear tires on mine to move the rpm down a tiny bit. (slightly bigger diameter than 205/45R16)

https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

and mine is the longest geared NA/NB miata they ever made lol (1999 to 2003 6 speeds had the 3.909 rear end, everything else was over 4)

you can get a 3.636 ring and pinion though which would move my rpm @ 80mph down to 3543 from 3809 (thing is -- the speedometer on NB's reads high... so to actually do 80mph by gps in mine, im at 4k rpm).

but yeah... 3.636, I NEED IT. I think it would help for autocross too... second gear would be a bit longer, might not have to shift to 3rd ever

https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php

what speed does second go to?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

what speed does second go to?

according to the calc with the stock tire size(what I use for autoX),  56.2 mph

actually go ahead and have the top speeds of every gear:

ratio
mph @7200 rpm
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

versus the 3.636 that I want:

ratio
mph @7200 rpm
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

Spoiler

Spoiler

since it's a new year, here's a list of things I wanna do to the accord this year.

New passenger side door 

Hood paint/new hood

OEM foglight wiring

Plasti-dip wheels

rust repaired

undercoating

Oil Temperature sensor/gauge

TL-S rear swaybar

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

since it's a new year, here's a list of things I wanna do to the accord this year.

undercoating

That's not very fun to do

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I think our Mustang is around 2600-2800 RPM at 80. Haven't driven it in months though.

i guess the americans actually got transmissions right compared to the japanese, got the right idea. then again, american motors were typically much more torquier than japanese motors.

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

according to the calc with the stock tire size(what I use for autoX),  56.2 mph

actually go ahead and have the top speeds of every gear:

ratio
mph @7200 rpm
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

versus the 3.636 that I want:

ratio
mph @7200 rpm
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

wow, even my protege's gearing is longer than that.

6b8947215b.png

G15 tranny for FS 2.0 motor. gears are about .3 longer than the miata's, but then again, it has one less gear to send power through. but the final gear is actually quite long in the protege, 4.1 compared to 3.9. but that means i can accelerate a bit quicker than the miata, you just have better top speed.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i guess the americans actually got transmissions right compared to the japanese, got the right idea. then again, american motors were typically much more torquier than japanese motors.

It helps when you have an OD you can toggle at will. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's not very fun to do

no, but i'd rather do it than have the bottom my my car rust out cuz MN winters and salt.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler