Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

care to explain? i don't know if i've really seen that happen with nissan.

Stupid things like for windshield wipers having a selectable option, set low, and set high. Why they did that I don't know, it's pointless engineering when they could do something better with their time and money like making their seats and steering wheels more ergonomic and comfortable to use.

2 hours ago, techswede said:

Missed the pickup discussion. But i wouldn't go for a nissan or a toyota. (Except for a certain nissan d21 that i've mentioned repeatedly in here) 

If i was going for a modern pickup as a work truck i'd go for a Honda ridgeline

IF IT HAD A FUCKING DIESEL OPTION.. damn you honda. damn you to hell!

This is neat enough for me to want it though

So im going to put a pallet with an engine on that bed and then puncture, i would have a spare but it would be useless.... GOOD JOB HONDA!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

What? Being fwd and based off a Minivan? Or the cargo space that will leak over time?

GM had the same issue with the Avelanche droppable wall between the cab and bed. 

Avalanche was fucking cool though, especially if you did some weather stripping on the plastic pieces it was great.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

What? Being fwd and based off a Minivan? Or the cargo space that will leak over time?

GM had the same issue with the Avelanche droppable wall between the cab and bed. 

fwd bias four wheel drive system. Which is good

Don't see why it being based on a minivan is a problem.

it looks like it would be properly sealed. Either way i'd just keep tools in there.

27 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

So im going to put a pallet with an engine on that bed and then puncture, i would have a spare but it would be useless.... GOOD JOB HONDA!

Put the engine in the front of the bed without a pallet and ratchet strap it down. 

These should be standard on all trucks

24327d1256749614-custom-rear-tire-carrie

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

9 minutes ago, techswede said:

fwd bias four wheel drive system. Which is good

Don't see why it being based on a minivan is a problem.

it looks like it would be properly sealed. Either way i'd just keep tools in there.

Put the engine in the front of the bed without a pallet and ratchet strap it down. 

These should be standard on all trucks

What are you???? A freak? You dont treat nice things that way, you save them for when you stomp on the throttle and might hit a tree at speeds that could potentialy not be fatal but most likely will be fatal, that way you dont need to wake up and think "shit i broke my new engine" or "fuck, my car is totaled"

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Just now, Strando123 said:

What are you???? A freak? You dont treat nice things that way, you save them for when you stomp on the throttle and might hit a tree at speeds that could potentialy not be fatal but most likely will be fatal, that way you dont need to wake up and think "shit i broke my new engine" or "fuck, my car is totaled"

If an engine can't survive a trip home in the bed of a truck.. Then its just a hunk of shit

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 minutes ago, techswede said:

If an engine can't survive a trip home in the bed of a truck.. Then its just a hunk of shit

Unless the problem is the bed of the truck being a hunk of shit. ;)

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Unless the problem is the bed of the truck being a hunk of shit. ;)

Which it rarely is. 

18 minutes ago, techswede said:

Which it rarely is. 

Minivan with a bed? I'm willing to wager it's not great.

I was really excited about this but so far pretty disappointed with the testing.  

all the acceleration tests were unrealistic... they raced to 60km and 80km, thats 37mph and 50mph.  who races in a straight line to such a low speed?  and then the roll on test they did in 2nd gear starting at 20km (12mph!), really?  12mph is 1st gear, even at an autox.

and the autox test, basically the car that went last went faster.  autox is really something they should have gotten an experienced driver for.  a noob autocrosser will be the biggest difference by a long shot.

I really hope the do a road course test and an acceleration and roll tests that actually make sense.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Don't know if this was posted so

I knew I should have checked more than the last page when I posted about this... haha.  my thoughts above in my post

5 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Ok, I watched this last night as soon as it popped up in my notifications. There are a few things that need to be said about their testing/methodology, and yeah, I'm going to ramble on about turbos vs SC again for a couple minutes, but please bear with me here. ;) (Spoiler alert - if you haven't watched it, go watch it first,then read below).

The autocross test:

I'm glad Moog mentioned it and caught on during the longer autocross test, because he was exactly right; they were learning the track with each pass and because the cars are so similarly setup, the time variance was well within the margin or error - for both the short and long track tests. I would have called the results from both inconclusive or a draw.  

The roll on test:

Several things I took issue with here...

-For the love of god, "turbo lag" is NOT the time it takes for the turbo to make boost from basically off-idle or OUTSIDE the efficiency range of the turbo. Turbo lag is the time it takes for the turbo to make boost while operating the engine WITHIN the efficiency range of the turbo. So in this case, from anything above about 3000rpm. This does showcase the one area where the SC shines, but honestly, in 99% of any form of racing, you're not needing to floor it down around 2000rpm anyways. ;) 

-Flooring the engine to WOT at very low rpm in a turbo car or NA car is not the best way to get the best acceleration. The intake air velocity basically stalls for a moment, causing the engine to bog. If you more gently open the throttle, you keep the intake velocity up, allowing the rpm to climb along with it and minimize the bogging. It's also a great way to induce LSPI, which we've talked about before a few times.

Turbo flutter:

Yeah, they've got some compressor surge going on with that setup. They either need a softer spring in the BOV, a larger BOV or  something else isn't quite right. I was a little surprised to hear it, considering how knowledgeable these guys are and the fact that they made a video specifically about this bad phenomenon. This also doesn't help re-building boost during quick-shifts. 

How I would have tested these two cars:

-To start off, I would have fixed that turbo flutter right away. It's not good, will harm the turbo in the long run and hinders performance during quick-shifts.

-I would test on an autocross course, both technical (lower speed) and more open (higher speed), as they did, only I would test in the DRY to reduce time variance issues due to low grip. I would also test each car across at least 5 runs with each driver, reducing the factor of "learning the track". This, I think, would give both cars a much more equal opportunity. Though I think they would be very close, regardless. Where the SC car has that instant power, the turbo car makes up for it in more overall power, once it comes on. 

-I would also test on a road course race track as well as driving on the street (though they said they will test that later on).

-Roll on tests should be with both cars above at least 3000rpm. Flooring it from below that isn't really a practical test, IMO as that is a very unusual situation. You shouldn't be lugging the engine at low rpm anyways, whether it's turbo or SC. 

Other quick thoughts: Funny how at the end, they both preferred the turbo car. ;) It feels (and sounds) more exciting and I think that's what it basically boils down to. Dat surging wave of torque. :D I also agree with their observations that the SC would be better for a beginner, just learning to race, as the power is more controllable. But later on, as you improve your skills and learn to tame the power, the turbo car you can get more performance out of, in the end. All in all, a decently fair assessment with a few minor issues, IMO.

Both cars look like a ton of fun to drive. ;)

agree for the post part.  the compressor surge sound you're refering may be the BOV.  there are a few BOV's on the market made specifically to sound like that cause people think its cool.  so it may or may not be compressor surge.

every turbo nerd always gets their panties in a bunch over "lag".  its cause "boost threshold" takes way to long to say and everyone knows what people mean when they say lag.  personally I use the term lag only in the strict definition of the word, as in delay.  whether I'm talking about turbo's, throttle, video games, etc.  I'd only use the term lag in the correct way it refers to turbo's if I'm having a technical discussion about a specific setup.  I'm not gonna floor a turbo miata at 1500 rpm and yell "boooooost threshooooold!!!!!!!"  

I mean come on, seriously, get over it (not just you, everybody that gets their panties in a bunch over "lag")

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

9 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I'm not gonna floor a turbo miata at 1500 rpm and yell "boooooost threshooooold!!!!!!!" 

So I guess I shouldn't do that anymore driving on freeway on ramps huh? :ph34r:

28 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Minivan with a bed? I'm willing to wager it's not great.

Its based on a platform that it shares with a minivan. It isn't body on frame but it should be strong enough for most applications.

The more i look at it the less i like it though. Only available in a crew cab short bed config with a petrol engine? Fuck off honda.

Guess the Isuzu KB is the only japanese truck i'd buy at the moment

downloadFile?media_fileid=1359

Nothing fancy. A turbodiesel long bed that does what a truck needs to do

Just now, techswede said:

Its based on a platform that it shares with a minivan. It isn't body on frame but it should be strong enough for most applications.

The more i look at it the less i like it though. Only available in a crew cab short bed config with a petrol engine? Fuck off honda.

Guess the Isuzu KB is the only japanese truck i'd buy at the moment

Nothing fancy. A turbodiesel long bed that does what a truck needs to do

I wish there would be options for utility box beds that had more bed space instead of the industry standard kinda ones. It'd be pretty handy.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I wish there would be options for utility box beds that had more bed space instead of the industry standard kinda ones. It'd be pretty handy.

I'd be happy with one of these

8700UT.JPG

Would be perfect for two dirt bikes and a bunch of tools

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

So I guess I shouldn't do that anymore driving on freeway on ramps huh? :ph34r:

I mean whatever floats your boat... haha :D 

Christmas shopping is expensive. Especially when you have all girls to shop for. Looking forward to shopping for my Papa though. Get him some new tools. I'll be in my comfort zone then

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

47 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I knew I should have checked more than the last page when I posted about this... haha.  my thoughts above in my post

agree for the post part.  the compressor surge sound you're refering may be the BOV.  there are a few BOV's on the market made specifically to sound like that cause people think its cool.  so it may or may not be compressor surge.

every turbo nerd always gets their panties in a bunch over "lag".  its cause "boost threshold" takes way to long to say and everyone knows what people mean when they say lag.  personally I use the term lag only in the strict definition of the word, as in delay.  whether I'm talking about turbo's, throttle, video games, etc.  I'd only use the term lag in the correct way it refers to turbo's if I'm having a technical discussion about a specific setup.  I'm not gonna floor a turbo miata at 1500 rpm and yell "boooooost threshooooold!!!!!!!"  

I mean come on, seriously, get over it (not just you, everybody that gets their panties in a bunch over "lag")

I've never heard of any BOV designed to make the chatter sound. If it does, that's compressor surge, as far as I'm concerned, because it means the valve in the BOV is also chattering/pulsing, creating pressure waves in the charge pipe. ;) 

I know what you mean with the whole "lag" thing. I'm just so tired of the term/concept being misused and misunderstood. For example; someone will say "oh, there's so much lag in this car." while driving it with the engine outside the boost threshold, when in actuality, that same car can build boost with almost no lag while driving with the engine within the boost threshold. So in truth; it has very little lag, yet is said to be "laggy". It's very misleading if you don't understand the nature of how turbos operate. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

8 minutes ago, techswede said:

I want to see this thing do some pulling... :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I want to see this thing do some pulling... :D

Can't find any footage of that unfortunately :( 

4 hours ago, techswede said:

Missed the pickup discussion. But i wouldn't go for a nissan or a toyota. (Except for a certain nissan d21 that i've mentioned repeatedly in here) 

If i was going for a modern pickup as a work truck i'd go for a Honda ridgeline

7055.jpg

IF IT HAD A FUCKING DIESEL OPTION.. damn you honda. damn you to hell!

This is neat enough for me to want it though

mzg31qxlpnujqje8jvt6.png

but towing?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

but towing?

900x900px-LL-506d59bf_not-this-shit-agai

You can tow enough with it. The end