Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

"pretty cold" and "upper 40s" don't belong in the same sentence. 

ok in california that's cold. i know it's not considered close to cold in some parts of america. in california, the weather is very mild. hell, even the mountains in california don't get lower than 8 degrees at its coldest in winter.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

quick question, is it ok to use 5w20 oil in a car that requires 5w30 (my protege)? because the corolla and the van can use 5w20, but the protege is the only one in the garage that uses 5w30, and i just want to buy 3 jugs of the same 5w20 oil. and in the case of last week at walmart, there wasn't any 5w30 oil that was any good on sale, just the 5w20 variants. so is it ok to use 5w20 oil in an engine that asks for 5w30?

@vetali you're our resident mechanic, do you think it's ok? i mean it's starting to get pretty cold, like upper 40s in the mornings, 70s by midday.

You wont have to worry unless you are in sub freezing temperatures for extended periods. With a higher mileage car, lower viscosity oil would be a bad idea as well. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I haven't been out this late in a while... Geez people drive fast at night. On a thruway (basically a freeway with lights and a lower speed limit -- 55) in town, I was having to shift at 4K rpm just to keep up with traffic accelerating off the red lights...

And the flow of traffic was doing 70... In the 55 with some people flying past lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 minutes ago, vetali said:

You wont have to worry unless you are in sub freezing temperatures for extended periods. With a higher mileage car, lower viscosity oil would be a bad idea as well. 

so the protege's got 260k miles on the clock. it would be a bad idea to put lower viscosity oil, right? but i don't deal with sub freezing temps like ever.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so the protege's got 260k miles on the clock. it would be a bad idea to put lower viscosity oil, right? but i don't deal with sub freezing temps like ever.

Yes.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Just now, vetali said:

Yes.

poop. i was hoping it could still work. but i kinda understand since it's an original engine that hasn't been rebuilt, so it's gonna need the thicker oil to seal up.

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Yeah it would be a bad idea on a high mileage engine to do that... especially on the warm viscosity scale... I prefer a higher "warm" viscosity oil on older engines than what they call for, usually only like a step up. (I.e. 20 to 30 weight or 30 to 40 weight). I find They just run better/smoother when warm with that little extra viscosity...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

ok in california that's cold. i know it's not considered close to cold in some parts of america. in california, the weather is very mild. hell, even the mountains in california don't get lower than 8 degrees at its coldest in winter.

We'll get a good 60 or 70 degrees colder without windchill in the winter.. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah it would be a bad idea on a high mileage engine to do that... especially on the warm viscosity scale... I prefer a higher "warm" viscosity oil on older engines than what they call for, usually only like a step up. (I.e. 20 to 30 weight or 30 to 40 weight). I find They just run better/smoother when warm with that little extra viscosity...

i mean the manual says 5w30 or 10w30 is recommended. but my dad always gets 5w30, idk why he doesn't go higher. 

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

We'll get a good 60 or 70 degrees colder without windchill in the winter.. 

honestly i do feel bad for you guys bc you have such harsh weather. i feel somewhat spoiled we have nice weather year round.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i mean the manual says 5w30 or 10w30 is recommended. but my dad always gets 5w30, idk why he doesn't go higher. 

honestly i do feel bad for you guys bc you have such harsh weather. i feel somewhat spoiled we have nice weather year round.

Most people just follow the label for the engine. A 10w-30 is just a little better for very warm climates... Since the oil will be at a higher temp to start with, and some 5w's get almost too thin in very hot weather. But honestly the 5w is fine.

im weird, I like to experiment with different oil weights. But so far in the majority of engines, and a lot of online analyses confirm this, there's just something about Mobil 1 0w-40 (the "euro" one) that is just amazing in engines rated for 5w-30... Like every wear test I see it does amazing in... And cars just seem to flat-out run better/smoother with it. 

No one really listens to me when I talk about it though, I didn't intend for it to be my favorite but I guess it's come to that. I run it in my Miata  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Most people just follow the label for the engine. A 10w-30 is just a little better for very warm climates... Since the oil will be at a higher temp to start with, and some 5w's get almost too thin in very hot weather. But honestly the 5w is fine.

im weird, I like to experiment with different oil weights. But so far in the majority of engines, and a lot of online analyses confirm this, there's just something about Mobil 1 0w-40 (the "euro" one) that is just amazing in engines rated for 5w-30... Like every wear test I see it does amazing in... And cars just seem to flat-out run better/smoother with it. 

No one really listens to me when I talk about it though, I didn't intend for it to be my favorite but I guess it's come to that. I run it in my Miata  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

so would 0w40 actually yield any benefits in an engine that's been running 5w30 most of its life?

The F1 LM was one of my childhood favorites I was so lucky to see it today. . (i know i am not great at editing photos)

@chaozbandit @MEC-777 and anyone else who likes F1's

r24oZPt.jpg

more in the spoiler

Spoiler

8ZI5QyL.jpg

II1Tzcn.jpg

QhM6C40.jpg

w4PuMNB.jpg

2wbLrgu.jpg

7qna7VQ.jpg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so would 0w40 actually yield any benefits in an engine that's been running 5w30 most of its life?

All I'm gonna say is the oil I use is a good oil according to UOA's and my experience with it.... 

Oil is is such a hot topic if I say anything on here people are gonna come after me with knives and pitchforks saying "we don't agree because blah blah blah"

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, terrytek said:

We'll hit over 110 in the summer too. It sucks here in winter and summer. Spring and fall are phenomenal though 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Page 3000!

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Page 3000!

Man we've come far... Wow

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Man we've come far... Wow

still upset i wasn't the one that started this thread. even though i explicitly stated, before this thread existed, that i was gonna start it.

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

We'll hit over 110 in the summer too. It sucks here in winter and summer. Spring and fall are phenomenal though 

yeah only the summers suck here. it can get as high as 115 here on a bad day. i'm just happy i don't have like 60 or so percent humidity in the summer, it's mostly dry, so it doesn't feel hotter than it really is.

I want my friends Rx7 so badly

Yes, guy in Z06, I will gladly move over to hear you rip down the street. What does third gear top out at in those things?

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

A $1.20? Just a guess but I'd imagine somewhere around a Hundred

Something like that. Thing was screaming down the street. He turned before I even got to the same light.

5 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

The F1 LM was one of my childhood favorites I was so lucky to see it today. . (i know i am not great at editing photos)

@chaozbandit @MEC-777 and anyone else who likes F1's

r24oZPt.jpg

more in the spoiler

Hide contents

Nice! Had I not seen a GTR this year, I might actually be jealous.

Auto Show: MTCC Floor

Okay, I'm a bit jelly.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Egh, the weather reports are saying that it might snow next week. 

I wouldn't want to run studs yet. Because the snow will melt for sure the next day.

Might just have to, because summer tyres would be utterly useless.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Nice sticker you got there mate xD

----------------------------------------------

For Page 3000

sstp_0911_06_o+engine_swaps+2jz.jpg

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

5 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I want my friends Rx7 so badly

No, i want it!! :P

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600