Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Ordering the yellow vinyl for the fog lights tonight hopefully. Decided against the chameleon tint for the headlights. I'm not going full rice

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Ordering the yellow vinyl for the fog lights tonight hopefully. Decided against the chameleon tint for the headlights. I'm not going full rice

+ The chameleon tint would probably lead to getting pulled over a lot.

(Over here the cops would tell you to fix it and get your car re-inspected) 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, techswede said:

+ The chameleon tint would probably lead to getting pulled over a lot.

(Over here the cops would tell you to fix it and get your car re-inspected) 

Over here cops don't care. At least not in Indiana / Michigan. I know California is really stubborn about that type of stuff

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

One last thing, sorry for spam posts

But want to order one of these and get it paint matched, and maybe in the spring get the windows tinted, not super dark but enough so it wont be blistering hot in the summer in there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SAAB-9-5-Combi-Wagon-09-99-Rear-Roof-Spoiler-Kit-w-Hardware-GENUINE-/262641870432?fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3ASaab%7CModel%3A9-5&hash=item3d26ace660:g:aiEAAOSwYIxX524A&vxp=mtr

That wing is pretty common over here^^ Accentuates the bodystyle nicely

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Over here cops don't care. At least not in Indiana / Michigan. I know California is really stubborn about that type of stuff

Still doesn't look great though. But at least it isn't as bad as xenon lights.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

10 minutes ago, techswede said:

That wing is pretty common over here^^ Accentuates the bodystyle nicely

Still doesn't look great though. But at least it isn't as bad as xenon lights.

I haven't seen them in person, but Saabs are also fairly rare in my area

It can look good on some cars, but it doesn't really fit the Saab honestly (tint)

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

It can look good on some cars, but it doesn't really fit the Saab honestly

What @techswede said. Fairly common on SAAB's over here (Aero models came with them IIRC, and it was something you could add from factory).

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

It can look good on some cars, but it doesn't really fit the Saab honestly

Well i live near "The home of SAAB" so i see at least ten saabs on my way to my mailbox. 

Subtle styling is prevalent among saab enthusiasts. (There are some that are a bit more flashy. But on average its more subtle) 

Achel.jpg

I'm a bit old fashioned so i prefer my headlights standard.

Your saab is missing one important thing though.

A ski box on the roof rack that you are too lazy to take off. 

Just now, techswede said:

Well i live near "The home of SAAB" so i see at least ten saabs on my way to my mailbox. 

Subtle styling is prevalent among saab enthusiasts. (There are some that are a bit more flashy. But on average its more subtle) 

Achel.jpg

I'm a bit old fashioned so i prefer my headlights standard.

I'd be interested in maybe finding a nice front lip but other than the wheels, the spoiler, tint, and fog light vinyl it will stay fairly stock from the outside.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

The little 'wing' adds a nice flare to the car.

7039570094.jpg

Same color as mine and the aero wheels I want. Really like that honestly

Just now, GlassBomb said:

The little 'wing' adds a nice flare to the car.

the wheels kinda fit the style of the car xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

well that's just fucking great. something is wrong with my pc. it seems like my scroll button on my mouse doesn't seem to work at all. like i can click the middle button and it will move up or down where i move the mouse but it won't scroll, period, and tilting it left or right wont send it a page forward or backward and it honestly pisses me off so much. i know it's my computer because i swapped mice and it still has the issue. what the fuck you stupid pc i want to throw you in a fucking lake already.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

Btw, anyone know WTF kind of tool this is?

Looks like a fancy bottle opener to me.

Washed, clay bar'd, and waxed my car. Gonna do the plastics tomorrow cause that stuff wasn't wanting to dry. Seriously hate the honey comb grille. 

8c7c849c01.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Looks like a fancy bottle opener to me.

Washed, clay bar'd, and waxed my car. Gonna do the plastics tomorrow cause that stuff wasn't wanting to dry. Seriously hate the honey comb grille. 

8c7c849c01.png

That looks pretty good. Need to do that with mine. Not terribly dirty, but doesn't stand out as perfection either. I can see how the grill can be an issue in cleaning though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

41 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well that's just fucking great. something is wrong with my pc. it seems like my scroll button on my mouse doesn't seem to work at all. like i can click the middle button and it will move up or down where i move the mouse but it won't scroll, period, and tilting it left or right wont send it a page forward or backward and it honestly pisses me off so much. i know it's my computer because i swapped mice and it still has the issue. what the fuck you stupid pc i want to throw you in a fucking lake already.

giphy.gif

Have you tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it for your mouse?

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

giphy.gif

Have you tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it for your mouse?

yeah, it actually solved it. but now a problem that was a minor inconvenience months ago is now an utter frustration. my pc will randomly WITH NO WARNING, just freeze up and the screen signal will just randomly cut out. it's been ongoing for like 8 months, but after the anniversary update, it's fucked my computer hard even more, with system crashes as much as 6 times today. i'm about to throw this pc into a fucking lake at this point.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

Btw, anyone know WTF kind of tool this is?

~snip~

More or less a normal wrench. But its mainly for holding nuts and ratcheting from the other side. Makes sense, no? Keeps them from falling out when you're wrenching.

13 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

More or less a normal wrench. But its mainly for holding nuts and ratcheting from the other side. Makes sense, no? Keeps them from falling out when you're wrenching.

Strange how we only have one in that large sice then.... The idea makes sense but why not a full set of them?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

13 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Strange how we only have one in that large sice then.... The idea makes sense but why not a full set of them?

Could have been that only that one size was needed at the time for a certain thing.

quick question, is it ok to use 5w20 oil in a car that requires 5w30 (my protege)? because the corolla and the van can use 5w20, but the protege is the only one in the garage that uses 5w30, and i just want to buy 3 jugs of the same 5w20 oil. and in the case of last week at walmart, there wasn't any 5w30 oil that was any good on sale, just the 5w20 variants. so is it ok to use 5w20 oil in an engine that asks for 5w30?

@vetali you're our resident mechanic, do you think it's ok? i mean it's starting to get pretty cold, like upper 40s in the mornings, 70s by midday.

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

quick question, is it ok to use 5w20 oil in a car that requires 5w30 (my protege)? because the corolla and the van can use 5w20, but the protege is the only one in the garage that uses 5w30, and i just want to buy 3 jugs of the same 5w20 oil. and in the case of last week at walmart, there wasn't any 5w30 oil that was any good on sale, just the 5w20 variants. so is it ok to use 5w20 oil in an engine that asks for 5w30?

In a hot climate it would be fine? (Ask some lubrication experts, im not that lonely)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

In a hot climate it would be fine? (Ask some lubrication experts, im not that lonely)

like i said in my edit, pretty soon it will get pretty cold, like upper 40s in the early mornings, and 60s-70s by midday.

33 minutes ago, terrytek said:

like i said in my edit, pretty soon it will get pretty cold, like upper 40s in the early mornings, and 60s-70s by midday.

"pretty cold" and "upper 40s" don't belong in the same sentence.