Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I love it. So much

I'd like to see it race the vettecart

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

just get an aston martin look better probably sound better and cost about the same as that bmw

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

just get an aston martin look better probably sound better and cost about the same as that bmw

the tech is so outdated in aston martins lmao.

and i could never afford this car lmao.

#used 

Oh. Oh, yes.

There's even a 72D! @MEC-777

So much yes.

And for those who havent seen the OG motorhead video:

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Anyone here have a Jeep Wrangler? More specifically a 2008-2015 model?

I am looking into likely buying one (used) for my first car soon. Anyone have any advice? I live in Maine so we get a good amount of snow, and I drive on dirt roads pretty regularly. I want something to have fun in as well.

I am likely going to buy a 4 door model, but I want a hard top so if it has a soft one I'm going to get a replacement. I will likely be putting an exhaust, light bar, and 35's on it eventually. I also would be getting it upfitted with emergency lights from my local volunteer fire department

Honestly, I would look at the Toyota Tacoma. It is better for offroading, much more reliable, and has the same or better aftermarket support. It's obviously a little longer, but the newer Tacoma's have a good amount of room for passengers, with the full 4 door model. plus, you have a truck bed to throw things into. just a thought. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

considering our corolla is really cheap in quality for its age, and for what little you get, it has some real nice audio, and the speakers aren't even name brand. they're actually better than our protege's audio, which has 4 pioneer subs and 2 tweeters.

4 subs in a Protege? is the entire trunk filled with them? or do you mean standard woofer drivers?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I am looking into likely buying one (used) for my first car soon. Anyone have any advice? I live in Maine so we get a good amount of snow, and I drive on dirt roads pretty regularly. I want something to have fun in as well.

I am likely going to buy a 4 door model, but I want a hard top so if it has a soft one I'm going to get a replacement. I will likely be putting an exhaust, light bar, and 35's on it eventually. I also would be getting it upfitted with emergency lights from my local volunteer fire department

That year range is like Chrysler's 3rd or 4th mid life crisis. Would avoid.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 subs in a Protege? is the entire trunk filled with them? or do you mean standard woofer drivers?

standard, but the mazdaspeed version comes with 2 12 inch subs in the rear.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe?

So this Christmas I was given $2,500 for a first car. I've been looking online for over the past month or so, and my mom and I found a 90' Thunderbird SC for exactly $2,500. It says that it was a grandma car, with only 80,700 miles on it. I haven't heard much about it, and thought you guys could provide some input. 

Thoughts?

Link: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=32124&endYear=2016&keywordPhrases=ford+thunderbird%2C1990+thunderbird%27&showcaseOwnerId=42966694&startYear=1981&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=100&listingId=397182932&Log=0

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

According to this threat it's a single 8" Kenwood that's got a bad habit of blowing. Was it something to do with a certain year?

oh, don't know. i guess all this time i assumed it was two big subs. but i've never heard of the kenwood subs blowing. and doubt it would have to do with a certain year, because it was made for only 2 years.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Any subs can blow, except OEM for name brand cars are usually cheaper than stuff you go and buy, like when GM uses Bose in their full size rigs. Also sorry I forgot the link.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?70759-MazdaSpeed-Protege-Kenwood-8-quot-sub

oh well. i wonder if i can fit an 8 inch sub in a stock protege. i've been wanting to up the ante and plus get a nice 150 dollar pioneer double din, because i wanna add aux capability.

Oh god those suck to drive every day.

Find out where the enclosure was and figure out how it's mounted and you should be able to get one in and looking stock. The newer better head unit should help the stock speakers sound a fair bit better too.

yeah but i don't want it taking up valuable space. but i might consider it. i don't wanna blow more than 600 on the audio, since even though it's a nice car to drive, it's got side damage and i plan to replace those damaged panels (thankfully the damage is only contained to the panels and not the frame). i honestly would be embarrassed to drive around with that kind of damage

Aight here ya go @terrytek . The mazdaspeed kenwood sub assembly looks like this.

attachicon.gifprotege sub assy.jpg

and mounts in the trunk below the package shelf thats between the rear glass and back seats.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-25 at 11.19.25 AM.png

Theres a mounting spot for an amp and an 8" subwoofer spot so you can replace the stock kenwood sub with whatever you want, because those have a bad habit of blowing under stock power, so that's your factory sub location, and takes up hardly any room. Not a bad setup honestly, they did a good job with it. 

attachicon.gifobama-not-bad.jpeg

but looks like i'm gonna have to wire everything up myself. i'm not sure i should do that by myself. i think i should let the pros wire it for me. i don't want to accidentally burn my car down from a short. and if it costs uder 500, i'll go for it, provided it leaves 150 for a double din. and not those stupid pop out screens.

but looks like i'm gonna have to wire everything up myself. i'm not sure i should do that by myself. i think i should let the pros wire it for me. i don't want to accidentally burn my car down from a short. and if it costs uder 500, i'll go for it, provided it leaves 150 for a double din. and not those stupid pop out screens.

Even if you do have to do some wiring yourself it's actually not that hard. Just make sure you have everything connected and insulated. :)

Don't do what the old mines did and run sections of bare copper and it'll be fine.

Essentially, yeah. :lol:

Soo. Anyone else fall for the nascarlo?

I love the legalities. You can't insure this, but if you stick and old Monte Carlo body onto it... meh, it's fine now. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Really there's not much to wire for just a sub. The head unit is the part that you've got to worry about. Its not like making custom adapters for a PC where you just snip the ends of the wires off and hold it together with electrical tape. My buddy and I did his sub for his blazer and there's not much to go wrong. MCM did a video on it, just watch that a few times and you'll be good to go. If you are really that worried about it, pay a shop to do it ( a decent one) and ask if them if they'll show you how to do it and let you watch. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ok but will i be able to keep the 6x9 speakers in the rear deck, or will those have to go?

Oh god those suck to drive every day.

Why? What's wrong with them? Just curious.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm not 100% sure. Those are generally very shallow and it looks to have enough clearance. It doesn't bolt right to the cardboard shelf, rather secured with self tappers to the side walls, so if you're having clearance issues, you just install the mounting brackets a bit farther down to clear your 6x9's. You should look into what size those are though, if I were to guess without looking it up, they could be 5x4's or 5x7s. Something to look into if you're planning on replacing them.

nope. it's 6x9 for the rear, 5x7 for front, but they could fit 6x8s.

2001-2003 Protege Sedan

Front 5x7" @ 2.75"

* Can use 6x8"s, see note above.

* Can also use 5.25"s or 6.5"s with additional work, see note above.

Rear 6x9" @ Over 8"

Why? What's wrong with them? Just curious.

They handle like junk especially if you go around any sort of corner whatsoever. Can't take bumps to save its life. Just a terrible driving vehicle unless you're in the dirt. Would much rather get something like a Liberty or Grand Cherokee.

i'm telling you, this car is actually really good for the money. i just wished the rear doors had speakers. they have little inserts on the panel that look like they house speakers, but there's nothing there.

Would probably be equipped in a higher trim level or a different set of options. I was really bummed out when I finally noticed that my s10 doesn't have rear speakers in the pillar between the extra cab windows and rear glass. Those were only equipped with 2 door extra cab s10s and weren't installed in the s10s that had the 3rd door which opens away from the driver's door. 

the thing is: our protege is the highest trim. it's loaded with everything except leather. and he basically got every package except leather. so idk why mazda thought it was cool not to have speakers in the rear doors.

They handle like junk especially if you go around any sort of corner whatsoever. Can't take bumps to save its life. Just a terrible driving vehicle unless you're in the dirt. Would much rather get something like a Liberty or Grand Cherokee.

oh wow. Then I would definitely hate them lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Really there's not much to wire for just a sub. The head unit is the part that you've got to worry about. Its not like making custom adapters for a PC where you just snip the ends of the wires off and hold it together with electrical tape. My buddy and I did his sub for his blazer and there's not much to go wrong. MCM did a video on it, just watch that a few times and you'll be good to go. If you are really that worried about it, pay a shop to do it ( a decent one) and ask if them if they'll show you how to do it and let you watch. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah... and trust me, those "pro installs" are hack jobs. See a lot of bad stuff in cars like wire caps and exposed wiring. When I put a radio in my blazer I had to solder a new factory harness in because somebody cut the factory one off. If you buy from crutchfield (I should really start getting paid for advertising them so much) they come with instructions specifically for your car.

Not to mention a lot of head units now days use RCA plugs for the sub. So really all you need to do is wire a power and ground to your amp and hope it doesn't kill your alternator.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra