Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

maybe, if only there where any for sale.

They pop up every now and then for under 1000usd (Some go for about 12-1500)

And they do look pretty good

Fiat%20124%20Sport%20Coupe%20CC%20front.

and they're really cheap, especially in america. Decommissioned ones go for as low as 1500.

They are a bit more expensive over here. But they are tempting

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Besides the usual Honda folk that I don't like -- how good is a EP3 Honda Civic Si (2002-05) performance-wise?

Not the best looking car but seems like it would be a good little autocross car for me to learn in (also is a manual) while being economical for everyday and reliable enough for me to do my 200+ miles a week

Has a K20A3 that makes 160hp... Only a 9.5:1 compression ratio though so that makes me think it could be boosted or even have the Pistons changed or something with higher compression for more power. But I don't know much about the K series... Other than the K24 is used in the Ariel atom lol

I know squat about the transmission. Bulletproof as most Honda manual's are?

It's basically a regular civic with a slightly better engine I believe. Other than skirts ofc. I'd look for an XRS or a celica before an SI.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

If I would ever end up getting an M3, then it would be pretty plain in terms of options of the car. San Marino Blue, cloth seats, manual transmission, 18 inch rims, and maybe the adaptive suspension and the M driver's package. That's pretty much all I would get.

CW6lRX6WMAIymSv.jpg

Good fucking luck man. I'm interested to see how much fuel you burn. That will be interesting.

I'll see if I can top up with 50L at the start of the day and take approximations by the end of the day...

I'm guessing that I'll use up at least 20L... I won't be using the A/C for return trips too...

Will also post pics of the road just to show how steep it is... (water bottle in place of gyro or level)

I'll see if I can top up with 50L at the start of the day and take approximations by the end of the day...

I'm guessing that I'll use up at least 20L... I won't be using the A/C for return trips too...

Will also post pics of the road just to show how steep it is... (water bottle in place of gyro or level)

Fill her up to the brim before the trip, and do the same after the trip. Then you'll know how much you have burned. 

Fill her up to the brim before the trip, and do the same after the trip. Then you'll know how much you have burned.

Money's a bit tight... but I'll see what I can do...

The car's average km/L is around 12-17 km/L in mixed driving conditions...

Wouldn't mind a 4th Gen Mustang, as long as it has the 4.6L V8. Wouldn't care if it was automatic or manual

Naw, it's all about that 5.4 with them. :P

The Mercury Marauder (Mercury version of the Crown Vic) had the DOHC V8 from the Mustang Cobras. 

Those were really cool boats.

They're so squishy and comfortable, like literally being in a boat on some calmer waters.

Naw, it's all about that 5.4 with them. :P

They're so squishy and comfortable, like literally being in a boat on some calmer waters.

Personally I liked the 4.6L 32V supercharged motor the best :P

2004_00010_06.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

so, what's your favorite valve activation configuration? pushrod, sohc, or dohc? personally, i'm a dohc guy, because i've grown up working with dual cam engines, and plus they have humongous potential.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

my favorite engine is a turbine :P

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

so, what's your favorite valve activation configuration? pushrod, sohc, or dohc? personally, i'm a dohc guy, because i've grown up working with dual cam engines, and plus they have humongous potential.

DOHC. More valves = More better. It just gives the engine a whole lot more room to breathe.

Edit: And DOHC > SOHC. Since there are fewer moving parts for each set of valves.

DOHC. More valves = More better. It just gives the engine a whole lot more room to breathe.

agreed. plus more room to shove more air in.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Personally I liked the 4.6L 32V supercharged motor the best :P

Yeah but the 5.4 nearly made as much power N/A. :P

Besides the usual Honda folk that I don't like -- how good is a EP3 Honda Civic Si (2002-05) performance-wise?

Not the best looking car but seems like it would be a good little autocross car for me to learn in (also is a manual) while being economical for everyday and reliable enough for me to do my 200+ miles a week

Has a K20A3 that makes 160hp... Only a 9.5:1 compression ratio though so that makes me think it could be boosted or even have the Pistons changed or something with higher compression for more power. But I don't know much about the K series... Other than the K24 is used in the Ariel atom lol

I know squat about the transmission. Bulletproof as most Honda manual's are?

the EP3 is pretty decent for handling and autox.  suspension is interchangeable with the DC5 (although I think it might require a couple random pieces from the RSX to bolt in, not really sure, you'll have to research it if you get it).  

they really need a proper alignment to feel right at the limit, and due to the suspension design its easy to throw alignment out of wack.  especially if you get coilovers that are separately adjustable for height and spring preload.  this is prolly the only application (EP3 and DC5) where I'd recommend to get coilovers without the separate adjustment.  if you're not sure what I'm talking about, look up KW coilovers (the style I recommend) and Fortune Auto (what I had on my RSX, what I don't recommend).  Unfortunately, there aren't many options in the style I recommend, and KW's aren't available with custom spring rates and are really too soft for autox or track work.  There are Ohlins, but those are $$$.  That being said, its not the end of the world if you get the separate adjustable ones.  But I did get an alignment after each track day...  If you have Firestone service centers in your area, they offer lifetime alignments for $150ish.  so you can get as many alignments as you want as long as you own the car.  but you gotta kinda tip toe around them a bit.  you'll want custom alignment specs, not factory recommended, they may need to be informed on how to align with aftermarket components, don't tell them you're tracking or autoxing, etc...

the last thing, the thing I dislike the most about these chassis's, is they have slow steering response.  to get it somewhat decent you need a bit of toe out on the front

The K20 in the Si is not really that great... its designed more for economy and low/midrange torque then all out performance.  i mean its better then then engine in the Corolla, but its a far cry from the K20 in the RSX Type S.  If you do go boost, go SC.  if you plan to track it, turbo K20's require a ton of cooling, and in the tight engine bays of the EP3 and DC5, they like to melt stuff.  Although even with an SC you'll want a relatively big oil cooler.

The transmission is fine until you start pushing big power...  anything up to 300 whp will be fine with just a clutch upgrade.

If you do buy one, haggle your ass off for it.  they are not an in demand car.  it may take some work to convince a seller to knock down the price though.  If you find one at a dealer then really really haggle.  An acquaintance of mine bought one at a dealer auction for $700 in the summer...

That and a 5th Gen Honda Prelude would be really good, it was pretty well built and also had the option of the a manual transmission

Along with 200HP and 156Tq

Also had pretty good handling stock, a set of coilovers or sway bars would make it even better. They didn't understeer at all in my personal experience

5th gen Prelude doesn't make that great of a track car, and even worse autox car.  its big and heavy, its wide, while good for the track, bad for autox.  its really under tired for its weight, it has small brakes for its weight.  and trust me, it understeers.

wait since when is an outback able to tow a trailer, especially with a car on it? wouldn't it be too much for the engine to carry?

oh wait, nvm it's boosted, so it's got power, but wouldn't it still strain the boxer 4?

towing capacity its rarely limited by engine power, its the frame.  it needs to be able to keep the trailer under control.  and brakes of course... you need to be able to stop with a trailer.  even if it was an NA 4 banger Subaru engine in there, it'd be plenty of power to pull that trailer with the Mini on it

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Yeah but the 5.4 nearly made as much power N/A. :P

Boost. Plus the rating on the 4.6L supercharged engine was bogus. There are tons of examples of stock cars measuring 425+ HP at the rear tires. 

Those cars had the "Terminator" nickname for a good reason ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Pushrod for myself. Less moving parts. I do quite like the dohc v6 in my grandma's 4runner. (except the oil filter is upside down, freaking weird man ;) ) It just seems Pushrod motors aren't as rev-happy which is fine. The 4.3 in my s10 is a bit torque-y than the 3.6 (think that's what it is) in the 4runner which seems more hesitant until oh, three and a half grandish then it takes off.

The problem with pushrod is that there a lot more moving mass compared to SOHC and DOHC. That's why it can't be as rev-happy. The whole pushrod has to move up and down all the time it has to open/close the valves. Where as the camshaft in an SOHC/DOHC engine pushes directly onto the valves.

pushrod, i love the good old clunky briggs&stratton engines.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Anyone know of a way that I could get a low range in my 2wd s10? I was thinking maybe a two - speed diff out of an old chevy c60 i think it was? But then it would have to be shortened width wise as to not stick out past the side of the bed, and they're heavy and freaking massive (neither of which are bad things, they're just really freaking old) and most were vacuum operated. Anyone got any ideas? A transfer case isn't really that feasible either, because the ones in the s10s were all electric button that then operated a vacuum valve thing, that then locked a pin on the front diff. major pain to do a conversion, at that point I'd be better off just selling the one I've got and buying a 4wd model.

grab an old truck rear end with low/high range gears in it?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Boost. Plus the rating on the 4.6L supercharged engine was bogus. There are tons of examples of stock cars measuring 425+ HP at the rear tires. 

Those cars had the "Terminator" nickname for a good reason ;)

But 385 isn't too shabby without a supercharger.

GORGEOUS! i wish i had a bike like that! (I still love my old 1987 tempo corvette 380, but a 50cc moped isnt that fast.) Picture of my moped:

post-188189-0-85232600-1450903226.jpeg

also, if you wonder. Heres my current daily driver: post-188189-0-73800200-1450903329.jpeg

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Thats what I was thinking of doing, but I dunno. Just an idea

added bonus is that the truck rear end will handle way more power since its build like a bunker)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

~~

I still like the flat black better, but both have a good angle on the tips that suits the R1.

TPY104-TS-2__07719.1389905690.1280.1280.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

what color do you think would look best on this car (and if anyone is good with Photoshop could you post a pic of the color change)

gtm_2.jpg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/