Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, iBabySlapper said:

No, it isn't that high, the dealer part price for a new head unit is about £400. That's probably 8x what it costs to make though lol

Likely back in the day. Now days the early to late 10s OEM headunits are crazy expensive due to them using ancient chips. During the chip shortage they skyrocketed or even went unavailable.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

14 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Kinda funny as several times a year I take a trip out to a hotdog stand in West Virginia on my motorcycle from central Ohio.  It's almost 350 miles round trip just to get a hotdog for lunch.  I unfortunately have an entirely different view of what is long distance and what is useful as a vehicle. 

I didn't say it was a long trip, it's just the longest trip I do these days.  I used to do long trips, back when the roads around here had way less traffic on them.  But going for a long drive to relax stopped being a thing 25+ years ago.  Now every road within 50 miles of my home is just packed all day every day.  All the driver assist features did make the trip I took out to Lancaster PA less stressful.  I was very skeptical that I would ever use all that driver assist tech but now I'm sold on it. 

Hi peep's, so I need some help/feed back on Hudway Drive (https://hudway.co/drive) heads up display system, is it any good? are there any rivals out there?

I got to drive a brand new rental with a HUD for a month while away for work and now Im hooked, I need it in my life and the Hudway drive system is the closest thing I can find that could work on my 2010 VW Golf.

12 hours ago, RavingDave said:

Hi peep's, so I need some help/feed back on Hudway Drive (https://hudway.co/drive) heads up display system, is it any good? are there any rivals out there?

I got to drive a brand new rental with a HUD for a month while away for work and now Im hooked, I need it in my life and the Hudway drive system is the closest thing I can find that could work on my 2010 VW Golf.

Sorry but I have no idea how good it is 😕 

I've driven a bunch of audi's and honda's with HUD's and always thought "neat, but I don't really need this".

Funny how that works lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Her's a tip some of you can use.

Oilchangetip.jpg.8ffbb786af21a6a3f47bac39772f18c1.jpg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Sorry but I have no idea how good it is 😕 

I've driven a bunch of audi's and honda's with HUD's and always thought "neat, but I don't really need this".

Funny how that works lol

Thanks, yea I was the same, I didnt need anything other than my current diosaur of a car and my phone to navigate, but I got sent to work in a funny country and it just made things so much easier and it took away the need for a phone holder entirely, now I'm hooked and I need it in my life but I dont need a new car

They always say it's lifter tick. It's never lifter tick. IMG_20240226_121451.thumb.jpg.e8b968492e1f6fdc7f764ec8fc9fe33c.jpg

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

They always say it's lifter tick. It's never lifter tick. IMG_20240226_121451.thumb.jpg.e8b968492e1f6fdc7f764ec8fc9fe33c.jpg

230 inline 6?
Looks like a GM vehicle to me.

Yeah, I've heard that before myself about lifter tick but it really depends on how it's ticking.
If it's not a loud tick it's probrably fine because my dad had one (230 inline 6) with that noise and it ran for years and I mean several years with it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

On 2/22/2024 at 3:12 PM, MartyS said:

Well, after a year of research I finally pulled the plug, er, added a plug:

2024 Ioniq 5 limited:

ioniq5a.thumb.jpg.ce8414013ec4427b98a6858b6e190034.jpg

Installed the charging station on the back of my house almost a year ago when I started looking, so I'm now finally using it.

My last 5 cars have been Chevys, but GM no longer makes any EV I'm interested in.  I was looking forward to the Equinox EV but then the specs came out and it is going to be bigger than the Equinox I had.  Then I was seriously considering a Bolt EUV but then they announced they were discontinuing that line.  So the only 2 left that I liked were the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Nissan Ariya.  Been going back and forth between those 2 for several months, came down to the big cash back deals Hyundai is offering this month. 

Love it so far, took a 100 mile trip last weekend and only used $4 in electricity.  That is about the farthest trip I do these days so I probably won't ever need to use public charging. 

Kind of sad in a way, in my life I've gone from rebuilding engines back in the late '70s to not being able to fix a darn thing with all the computer controlled stuff, now I really won't be working on anything car related anymore.

I really like the looks of them.

Just don't damage the battery xD

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

45 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

230 inline 6?
Looks like a GM vehicle to me.

Yeah, I've heard that before myself about lifter tick but it really depends on how it's ticking.
If it's not a loud tick it's probrably fine because my dad had one (230 inline 6) with that noise and it ran for years and I mean several years with it.

235 'Blue Flame' in a 57 Chevy 210. Engine sounds tight when cranking and knocking is from the lower end, likely rod knock.

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

235 'Blue Flame' in a 57 Chevy 210. Engine sounds tight when cranking and knocking is from the lower end, likely rod knock.

Cool - I knew it was a GM engine at least.
Yeah, from what you say I'm guessing it's spun a bearing making it hard to turn over by the starter (Binding at the problem spot) and from the description it may need some real work on the crank or just another crank period. 

Is the harmonic balancer "Wobbling" while it turns over/runs?
That means a main bearing toward the front is the culprit - I've seen it a few times before.

20240229_113528.thumb.jpg.4482587ad82b3d08e5eccbf7f3258891.jpg

@vetali

09 Odyssey y pipe nuts lol still just barely hanging in there. One thread left on the one of them. Boss was very proud when he took those off.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

20240229_113528.thumb.jpg.4482587ad82b3d08e5eccbf7f3258891.jpg

@vetali

09 Odyssey y pipe nuts lol still just barely hanging in there. One thread left on the one of them. Boss was very proud when he took those off.

Were they the ones that go to the TWC or to the rear cat? I've seen some bad ones... most the time if they go to the rear cat they get cut and I press in new studs.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Were they the ones that go to the TWC or to the rear cat? I've seen some bad ones... most the time if they go to the rear cat they get cut and I press in new studs.

Rear bank converter to the Y pipe, rear rear cat got the nuts off but there wasn't any threads left on the studs so they got removed and bolts strung through with a shop-made reinforcing bracket because the cat flange looks about as bad as those nuts do.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.'"

IMG_20240301_140403.jpg

19 hours ago, Bitter said:

Rear bank converter to the Y pipe, rear rear cat got the nuts off but there wasn't any threads left on the studs so they got removed and bolts strung through with a shop-made reinforcing bracket because the cat flange looks about as bad as those nuts do.

Impressive. We just got info on the rod bearing recall... ugh. 1.2 to disassemble and submit pics, then 1.8 to replace rod bearings. Fortunately due to some insider info we don't have that many Honda rigs in our area with them. Its mostly Acuras and we can't do Acura recalls.

So imagine dropping that rusty ass exhaust for 1.2.

Can't remember if I've shared this yet, had it about a year and a half. Was bone stock 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 with almost 300k miles. Dealer maintained it's entire life from one owner with a blank check each visit.

I've put a lot of mods into it: lift, rack, lights, tent, bumper, slider, skid plate and more. Next thing is wheels and tires.PXL_20240224_045107423.thumb.jpg.b8370a47aaecf0b4e86505fae25814d5.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

2 hours ago, Psittac said:

Can't remember if I've shared this yet, had it about a year and a half. Was bone stock 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8 with almost 300k miles. Dealer maintained it's entire life from one owner with a blank check each visit.

I've put a lot of mods into it: lift, rack, lights, tent, bumper, slider, skid plate and more. Next thing is wheels and tires.PXL_20240224_045107423.thumb.jpg.b8370a47aaecf0b4e86505fae25814d5.jpg

Turn off your high beams.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Turn off your high beams.

Those aren't my high beams, those are the DRL's and projector low beams

This Still isn't my high beams lol

PXL_20230814_024429524(1).thumb.jpg.8a05a18a4a5e8ac677176ed9bac906a8.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Awful lot of off axis glare for not high beams.

trust me, it's not high beams

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

58 minutes ago, Psittac said:

trust me, it's not high beams

you're likely blinding people tho regardless 😕 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you're likely blinding people tho regardless 😕 

Ah but we don't care about that detail anymore, do we?

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Ah but we don't care about that detail anymore, do we?

Nah not really. All that matters is that the person driving the car can see. 

It's just a competition now. Can't see? Well I guess you need to add more light and lift your truck a little higher

Spoiler