Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

image.png.ac22610f5cfdeab0920f6b96a4abd866.png

Diagram from the 50s clearly depicting how stupid that truck driver's move was. I imagine it was just laziness.

Or bad training. Seems to be a lot of that these days too.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Trucks should check their mirrors before juking into the left lane when there's approaching traffic and wait for traffic to pass before starting their wide turn. Truck had a double width entrance made for trucks to enter without doing a double lane wide turn. Truck was not paying attention to its mirrors or being a dangerous asshole on purpose.

There's a couple things about this, and I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but you're the one who should be on the lookout for what happens in front of you.

Let's say for the sake of this, 100% absolutely you're right, the truck should've looked before going in to the adjacent lane.

image.thumb.png.d5488767376b1225a0e78ad7fe38c1dd.png

The lane was clear when it was checked. You both moved over at the same time. You weren't occupying that space when the turn was started.

Further, it's your responsibility to understand road conditions in front of you and the assumption should always be made to watch and wait for what will happen. Trucks make wide turns, and it's not uncommon for them to use multiple lanes to make a turn because:
A) You might not know the area they're turning in to
B) They might not know the area they're turning in to

Wait to see the truck begin its turn to see how they'll perform the maneuver.

The mentality of "I have to pass whatever is going on" is dangerous and wrong and that's how the situation above occurs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

image.png.ac22610f5cfdeab0920f6b96a4abd866.png

Diagram from the 50s clearly depicting how stupid that truck driver's move was. I imagine it was just laziness.

Laziness or uneasiness with the area. Button hooks can be difficult at times and blocking traffic on a road like that always sucks if you have to back up any amount and reposition because of misjudgement.

Thought on the left half of that diagram, I keep seeing the occasional opinion that you should make left turns from the tighter of the two turn lanes because in theory "it prevents you from dragging your trailer tires across a car next to you" but that makes no sense to me, why give yourself less room to work with?

26 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

There's a couple things about this, and I don't necessarily disagree with you here, but you're the one who should be on the lookout for what happens in front of you.

Let's say for the sake of this, 100% absolutely you're right, the truck should've looked before going in to the adjacent lane.

image.thumb.png.d5488767376b1225a0e78ad7fe38c1dd.png

The lane was clear when it was checked. You both moved over at the same time. You weren't occupying that space when the turn was started.

Further, it's your responsibility to understand road conditions in front of you and the assumption should always be made to watch and wait for what will happen. Trucks make wide turns, and it's not uncommon for them to use multiple lanes to make a turn because:
A) You might not know the area they're turning in to
B) They might not know the area they're turning in to

Wait to see the truck begin its turn to see how they'll perform the maneuver.

The mentality of "I have to pass whatever is going on" is dangerous and wrong and that's how the situation above occurs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Laziness or uneasiness with the area. Button hooks can be difficult at times and blocking traffic on a road like that always sucks if you have to back up any amount and reposition because of misjudgement.

Thought on the left half of that diagram, I keep seeing the occasional opinion that you should make left turns from the tighter of the two turn lanes because in theory "it prevents you from dragging your trailer tires across a car next to you" but that makes no sense to me, why give yourself less room to work with?

I had traffic to my left which entered the turn lane before I moved over otherwise would have moved over sooner. I was already slowing (off accelerator) as I approached them started lightly braking as I saw them swing a little,the sudden large swing is what caught me off guard. It's a common turn for trucks to make and this is the first time in 15 years one has swung out at me suddenly like that. Looks and felt more dramatic than it was since no ABS abs and I locked wheels.

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I had traffic to my left which entered the turn lane before I moved over otherwise would have moved over sooner. I was already slowing (off accelerator) as I approached them started lightly braking as I saw them swing a little,the sudden large swing is what caught me off guard. It's a common turn for trucks to make and this is the first time in 15 years one has swung out at me suddenly like that. Looks and felt more dramatic than it was since no ABS abs and I locked wheels.

If you had traffic to the left, and a truck in front of you is indicating and slowing down for a turn... maybe you also should slow down.. let the truck turn .. and then go about your business? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

9 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

If you had traffic to the left, and a truck in front of you is indicating and slowing down for a turn... maybe you also should slow down.. let the truck turn .. and then go about your business? 

Traffic had left signal and was entering the turn lane but I was not going to take the lane until they were actually innthe turn lane as people often use it as a passing lane illegally there. I was slowing and then starting to brake, as I explained.

On 10/16/2023 at 4:43 PM, Vonrottes said:

First time driving with the new tint.

Only 35% still not sure I like the 3m stuff, seems to have a very slight haze to it maybe that's just me never having actual driven anything with tint.

From the outside it definitely looks better. But really need to get the back glass swapped out and tinted to match...

the factory bronzed glass looks silly now

PXL_20231016_203417054.thumb.jpg.f54b7e1d81c5ce73c7aefe6b2dc9fa13.jpg

Since I have to order more to do the back glass, I'm thinking I might get Llumar 30% ceramic and redo the side glass as well

Is that a 90's S10 that I see? Love it!!

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Traffic had left signal and was entering the turn lane but I was not going to take the lane until they were actually innthe turn lane as people often use it as a passing lane illegally there. I was slowing and then starting to brake, as I explained.

I mean dunno how accurate the speed at the bottom left of the video is, but 46 MPH when you started changing lanes already too close to the truck imo when it was sitting at said speed for quite a bit, in a 40mph zone? doesnt exactly sound like slowing down to me

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

19 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

I mean dunno how accurate the speed at the bottom left of the video is, but 46 MPH when you started changing lanes already too close to the truck imo when it was sitting at said speed for quite a bit, in a 40mph zone? doesnt exactly sound like slowing down to me

Dashcam is slow to update the speed, it's one thing I dislike about it. Same cam in my sporty fun car and it'll say I'm still doing 20 when I've completed a hard stop. 1-2 second lag depending on how good the GPS signal is.

I was doing about 45 which is the usual speed of traffic on the road for right lane but yes it is signed for 40 however it's like downtown Chicago expressways...signed at 45 but you'd literally get shot by police if you drove 45. That road is routinely a 50mph road, cars, trucks, police, EMS, scooters, everyone does 45-50. I honestly found it weird cause preceding isn't faster and after isn't faster so why race up the hill?

54 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Is that a 90's S10 that I see? Love it!!

An overpriced s10 to be exact 😂

PXL_20231018_064306229.thumb.jpg.08a06e9b5e59001a7fddd57123a52a63.jpg

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

4 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

An overpriced s10 to be exact 😂

PXL_20231018_064306229.thumb.jpg.08a06e9b5e59001a7fddd57123a52a63.jpg

As an owner of a bigger 90's gm truck, they'll never die but boy oh boy will they let you know that they're almost 30 years old lmao

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

5 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

As an owner of a bigger 90's gm truck, they'll never die but boy oh boy will they let you know that they're almost 30 years old lmao

It's the same with mine.
Reminds me everytime I drive it but that also means it still has a heartbeat so.... Can't complain since I've owned mine since Jan 97, I've driven the shizznit out of it too as a daily ride but at least I can say I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

One thing I really need to do is to get the windshield replaced, when I have the $$ it's gonna happen.

101_1298.thumb.JPG.f7d202e2dd41a395350e46c36f3d22d5.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

59 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

That’s extremely clean paint. In my neck of the woods those were all rotted way 15 years ago. 

It should be, I had the body work done and had it repainted about 3 years ago.

Before that was done the old factory clearcoat had peeled off and the paint was in terrible shape because of it. That was an issue with GM vehicles of that time and was the reason so many developed bad rust pitting and rust holes in general.

This one was no different and I'd have to say you probrably could have gotten a case of Tetanus just looking at it right before the work was done. I was of the mindset it had taken care of me along the way and it was time to "Give back", so I did and I'm glad I did it.

It was getting close but I got the $$ I needed in time to keep it from being some REAL work and expense to bring it back.

These days it gets some looks because these square body pickups are becoming more popular and the ones in good shape are getting harder and more expensive to find in any decent shape to bring back.
There are still plenty of them out there yet, you just have to find one you like in good (Enough) shape and go for it but the high(er) end model/package trucks are way harder to find than ones with the little 4-banger in it by now, those being what was commonly seen and made back in the day with alot of these also having the 2.8ltr V6 in it. 

This one is an original 4.3ltr V6 pickup with a 5-speed and it's a 4x4 truck too, Tahoe package.
I had it painted as it was originally so I didn't change the color or trim of it but I do need to find some good chrome strips for the wheel wells, I have what was on it but one of them is kinda messed up and that's why the body shop left them off.
Interior is in need of work too and will get around to that stage of it later.

All I gotta do now is fix a few things as I'm able to and take care of it like it's taken care of me all this time.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

It should be, I had the body work done and had it repainted about 3 years ago.

Before that was done the old factory clearcoat had peeled off and the paint was in terrible shape because of it. That was an issue with GM vehicles of that time and was the reason so many developed bad rust pitting and rust holes in general.

This one was no different and I'd have to say you probrably could have gotten a case of Tetanus just looking at it right before the work was done. I was of the mindset it had taken care of me along the way and it was time to "Give back", so I did and I'm glad I did it.

It was getting close but I got the $$ I needed in time to keep it from being some REAL work and expense to bring it back.

These days it gets some looks because these square body pickups are becoming more popular and the ones in good shape are getting harder and more expensive to find in any decent shape to bring back.
There are still plenty of them out there yet, you just have to find one you like in good (Enough) shape and go for it but the high(er) end model/package trucks are way harder to find than ones with the little 4-banger in it by now, those being what was commonly seen and made back in the day with alot of these also having the 2.8ltr V6 in it. 

This one is an original 4.3ltr V6 pickup with a 5-speed and it's a 4x4 truck too, Tahoe package.
I had it painted as it was originally so I didn't change the color or trim of it but I do need to find some good chrome strips for the wheel wells, I have what was on it but one of them is kinda messed up and that's why the body shop left them off.
Interior is in need of work too and will get around to that stage of it later.

All I gotta do now is fix a few things as I'm able to and take care of it like it's taken care of me all this time.

I love the 4.3's, they won't die lol. My 98 k1500 with the 350 vortec also has clear coat issues, and rust issues. Still on the fence if I want to repair the cab corners and rockers, or just drive it as-is until it's super bad. Currently just repairing issues it has with timing and running too rich at the moment. I don't see too many of these trucks in Michigan that aren't rotted out or beat to shit on a farm or whatnot. Something about your truck just seems right, I've always wanted one just can't find many in decent condition for a good price at the moment.

18 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

lol Mine has been LS swapped and put on aftermarket suspension, hydroboost, big brakes and a torsen lsd.

the only thing still 31 years old is the stuff that makes it a Sonoma GT.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Left my detailing side light on when I quit for the night. Looked pretty cool back lit.

That it does, very cool. Mazda doesn't get the love it deserves nowadays.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Left my detailing side light on when I quit for the night. Looked pretty cool back lit.

IMG_20231026_223628.jpg

The picture almost looks 3D lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

45 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The picture almost looks 3D lol

I'm going to retake it with the fancy full frame camera once the ceramic is on. My factory orange peel polished up nicely with Rupes Uno Pure.

*bump for the Civic, yup here we are….… 

do we still bump*? neway

Im new here to forums and to posting,(literally first time smashing either) no joke. You hooked me on the tech but my first post was about cars… so fuck it lets go.

1st

89 SUPRA

MA70 AERO BLACK 5sp 

1GG 2L

HKS single exhaust manifold

T70 Garrett

EVO IV exhaust housing

HKS Straight pipe and muffler

HKS waste gate

’Unknown’ x2 600cc injectors welded into intake manifold

AM CPU ‘can’t remember’

Gold/green adjustable CO ‘unknown’

Sparco white 18x7 fronts

AvS 5 spoke silver 18x10 back

ran 12:98 at calder drag VIC AU

Its a fun car, aero top and all, but its too loaded with extra stuff one doesn’t need to be a 5 seater with electric seats in a sports car. Trucks would tap the brakes taking off from a red light until boost hit then it was red line to 5th.

2nd

84 LEVIN

AE86 Gold,Orange,Rust? 5sp

4AC, blocked fuel filter

Cut springs x 4

Welded diff by Australia's #1 drifter for a pack of smokes L.P 

BEST CAR I EVER OWNED   .

Wet summer nights 3rd gear 90• angles into a corner, stomping the clutch to continue the slide. Hands down wished i never sold. 

3rd 

2018 AUDI A3

1.3L Sedan Grey

Clean lines, turbo, 7sp trans pulls hard and has paddle shift, looks tough, rare spec. Lots of features like parking itself handsfree, a pop up screen for navigation and sensors for when a fly lands on your passenger’s door.

***FOR SALE or SWAP for 85’ Toyota 

-rob 

hope to see you around 

New injectors and adapters showed up for the Jeep. Although the Mrs. was a little confused as to why I ordered Mustang injectors for the Jeep (technically there are already Mustang injectors there, these are just form a newer Mustang, hence the adapters). Just waiting for the adjustable fuel pressure regulator now.

injectors1.jpg

So last year my friend bought a '88 Fiero Formula.

Saturday I got to drive it after helping him work on it for a while.

image.png.3abdb087c118563dd4f4d88bbefa64fc.png

(photo sourced from previous owner)

Coming from a relatively slow Focus ST, this car is isnt quick but wow is it fun to drive?? If you dont mind no power steering and having to cram into a shorter car at 6'3, having the engine behind your head and hearing the N/A v6 behind you while you slam gears is fantastic. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

this car is isnt quick but wow is it fun to drive?? If you dont mind no power steering and having to cram into a shorter car at 6'3, having the engine behind your head and hearing the N/A v6 behind you while you slam gears is fantastic. 

I think all cars have their own personality, and things that make them fun.