Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Really strange qualifying session today at Croft, 5 red flags. 3 of the red flags were caused by the foam bales and the other 2 were caused by a crash and a car getting stuck in the grass with a split tire. There was also rain near the end of the session, I don't think I've ever seen a qualifying session as hectic as this before.  

Seems like there's quite a delayed start to the racing today, first race isnt until lunch time and its a BTCC one, no support races early on?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

8 overtakes 7 with a puncture. Both cars need a splash to get to the end.

LTTF Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X + Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 16GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

Project Farm is entertaining to watch but that's about it, it's scientainment.

I've bounced between brands and types on my 2ZZ but have just been running 5W-40 synthetic at 5K intervals lately. 5W-40 is what Lotus suggests for track use with the 2ZZ, I don't track it (yet?) but I do run it hard when I take it out and there is metal on metal contact for the high lift cam lobes so oil film strength is critical when you're going into lift often and staying in lift which with the automatic it's easier to stay in lift because of the longer gears after 1st. There's a nice set of oil sprayers in the valve cover that keep it all bathed in oil all the time which really is nice to have, the high lift cam lobes are pretty rounded with long duration so they don't jump much, and the metal shoes they ride on are a sintered material I think which holds oil well and has some self lubricity also. It's similar to the shoes a SR20 cam lobes ride on, but there's a dual cam lobe setup where the low lift cam lobes ride on roller rockers and then in high lift mode the lifters lock and engage the high lift cam lobes. It's a pretty drastic change over but that's partly because of how Toyota tuned it to 'kick' into lift so it feels dramatic, blah.

I couldn't agree more , lost interest when I saw the scuff/friction test, gear oil would pass that test with flying colours but you wouldn't use that in your engine. That test along with the rich mixture/oil cap test was used as a scam in the 70s at motor shows to sell magic potions to unsuspecting customers (don't ask me if I'm old enough to remember)

Pete

1 hour ago, 711jrp said:

I couldn't agree more , lost interest when I saw the scuff/friction test, gear oil would pass that test with flying colours but you wouldn't use that in your engine. That test along with the rich mixture/oil cap test was used as a scam in the 70s at motor shows to sell magic potions to unsuspecting customers (don't ask me if I'm old enough to remember)

Yeah, thats the same rig the snake oil salesman uses in their demo whenever they come around.... I still sell it because it makes me a ton of money lul 

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 16GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 / Dell SG2716DG / Ducky Shine 3 / Logitech G700 / Sennheiser HD 558

i5 2500K stock   /   8GB gskill sniper  /  EVGA P67 SLI Micro  /  EVGA GTX 660

11 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I want to see him do actual heated mechanical testing with those oils for something real world. Just because something flows really well hot/cold doesn't mean is has the film strength to protect the metal in your engine.

How bout that fuckin motorkote in the lawnmower test tho

[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

So I spent the weekend with my folks for Fathers day; my dad is going to buy a new small pickup to replace his civic pretty soon, so we went and drove a Chevy Colorado, and a Ford Ranger.

I was really surprised how smooth the Chev powertrain was, when parked you really had to look at the tach to tell it was even running; silky smooth and super quiet. Sadly the rest of the Colorado was uninspiring, everything in the interior felt super cheap and the display on the dash was pretty slow to respond.

The Ranger was basically the polar opposite, the interior was great, and the electronics package was impressive. The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado, but the Ranger was also noticeably quicker and lighter on it's feet. 

As of right now he's kinda leaning to the Ranger but those are a couple grand more expensive, so could really go either way. 

But while we were there, I did see this GT350R sitting in the corner:

20190615-125812.jpg

Currently priced at $93k, a full $20k over the $73k sticker price. I like Mustangs, but my enthusiasm starts to wain as things get dangerously close to the six figure mark. 

They also had an F150 in almost the exact spec I would want one; 4-Door, short bed, 5.0L, 4x4, Lariat, locking rear end, 36gal fuel tank, center console, and trailer tow. $46k... Someday.

20190615-132203.jpg

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

9 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado

Are you just noting it's louder in the cabin, or was it also louder when you got out?

Our ST's do have the sound symposers so I wouldn't be surprised if they threw one of those into the 2.3L rangers to make people think they're being loud when they step on the gas. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Are you just noting it's louder in the cabin, or was it also louder when you got out?

Our ST's do have the sound symposers so I wouldn't be surprised if they threw one of those into the 2.3L rangers to make people think they're being loud when they step on the gas. 

Both inside and out, and this isn't the same noise as a sound symposer, its just engine noise. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

Both inside and out, and this isn't the same noise as a sound symposer, its just engine noise. 

That's good then. The symposers are silly and are never a good replacement for a proper exhaust!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

What a race

@MEC-777

48070644261_8b63105994_o.jpg

48073597507_5f0041b1fc_o.jpg

LTTF Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X + Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 16GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

On 6/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, vinyldash303 said:

Isn’t T5 conventional? I don’t know what car you have but I’ve been using T6 in the vehicles I’ve driven and really like it

I'd like to run T6 but they don't make it in a flavor for my car. I'm not hesitant to try different brands of oil, but I don't really think I should run 5w-40 if my engine calls for 10w-30. Any input? 

Reading your other posts it'll quiet the engine? I was just hesitant to run thicker oil, but she runs HOT so. 

Join the nyalliance today, nya! <3

Join the spider alliance today! <3

Join the lions server today! <3

Join us and count aniak today! :)

Join us and count Wonder bread today! ;)

<3 Annie wonder <3

JOIN DIRECTOR X

JOIN JVCK

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

So I spent the weekend with my folks for Fathers day; my dad is going to buy a new small pickup to replace his civic pretty soon, so we went and drove a Chevy Colorado, and a Ford Ranger.

I was really surprised how smooth the Chev powertrain was, when parked you really had to look at the tach to tell it was even running; silky smooth and super quiet. Sadly the rest of the Colorado was uninspiring, everything in the interior felt super cheap and the display on the dash was pretty slow to respond.

The Ranger was basically the polar opposite, the interior was great, and the electronics package was impressive. The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado, but the Ranger was also noticeably quicker and lighter on it's feet. 

As of right now he's kinda leaning to the Ranger but those are a couple grand more expensive, so could really go either way. 

Currently priced at $93k, a full $20k over the $73k sticker price. I like Mustangs, but my enthusiasm starts to wain as things get dangerously close to the six figure mark. 

They also had an F150 in almost the exact spec I would want one; 4-Door, short bed, 5.0L, 4x4, Lariat, locking rear end, 36gal fuel tank, center console, and trailer tow. $46k... Someday.

Honestly been looking to possible replace the Impala with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton to use as a tow rig (Leaning towards 3/4 ton) and the 7.3 F250s are super super tempting. This one especially caught my eye

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=514343550

Used 2002 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab Super Duty MIDDLETON, WI 53562 - 514343550 - 1

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

11 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Honestly been looking to possible replace the Impala with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton to use as a tow rig (Leaning towards 3/4 ton) and the 7.3 F250s are super super tempting. This one especially caught my eye

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=514343550

Used 2002 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab Super Duty MIDDLETON, WI 53562 - 514343550 - 1

My dad now has a e1999 f250 with a 7.3. It’s awesome

I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

11 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

*SNIP*

Those 7.3s are supposed to be really tough, although not the most powerful thing out there. 

That price seems suspiciously low to me, but I guess I haven't been pricing out 3/4 ton pickups either. 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

My dad now has a e1999 f250 with a 7.3. It’s awesome

From the few I have experience with they should be able to do anything I'll ever really need out of a truck, while sounding pretty damn good

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Those 7.3s are supposed to be really tough, although not the most powerful thing out there. 

That price seems suspiciously low to me, but I guess I haven't been pricing out 3/4 ton pickups either. 

It's about average, might be a little lower than normal market price. Just not too many people are selling 7.3 3/4 tons right now

Not too worried about it being insanely powerful or anything, just enough to haul around a car when needed, and haul just about everything I own in an enclosed trailer when I move, after that it'll be more or less a car hauler and farm truck

CPU: i7 4790K Motherboard - MSI Z97 G55 SLI RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB GPU - Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4GB Case - NZXT H2 (White) Storage - 120 GB Kingston SSDnow,2x 1TB WD Blue PSU - Corsair CX750M Cooling - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Keyboard Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Logitech G502

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

20190615-125812.jpg

20190615-132203.jpg

why not a tacoma?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

16 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That’s actually a bit high for a 7.3 tbh. My dad got his for $6600 out the door. (100% rust free, 282k on it with a replaced engine though. XL, 4x4 and auto trans)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

That’s actually a bit high for a 7.3 tbh. My dad got his for $6600 out the door. (100% rust free, 282k on it with a replaced engine though. XL, 4x4 and auto trans)

For under 100K original miles, it's not too bad whatsoever if I'm being honest. 

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

why not a tacoma?

Because the Taco is much more expensive and really only better than the others at offering it in Flat Dark Earth. 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

282k miles vs 100k miles. 

Because the Taco is much more expensive and really only better than the others at offering it in Flat Dark Earth. 

Overall they tend to hover between 5-15K depending on year, mileage, and options more often than not. Rust being another big price changer around these parts

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I get it, but they really top out at about 10k here a thousand or two more if it’s a southern truck.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I get it, but they really top out at about 10k here a thousand or two more if it’s a southern truck.

Shit, I remember 10-15 years ago I paid $16k for a 2000 F250 with the 6.8L V10, although only 32k miles. 

Shit, I remember 10-15 years ago I paid $16k for a 2000 F250 with the 6.8L V10, although only 32k miles. 

Been kinda considering the V10 trucks as well, but I honestly don't know much about them, other than they seem to pass everything other than a gas station

Y'all are crazy. The downtown core is completely gridlocked and public transit has shut down.

image.thumb.png.69799ed9af531c4e6f2ea8fed7dc9960.png