Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

signal-2023-09-10-14-45-38-479.jpg

Even better with indirect systems where people just keep inflating expecting the light to go off on its own. Record that rolled into the shop so far is 70 psi on a CR-V.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Even better with indirect systems where people just keep inflating expecting the light to go off on its own. Record that rolled into the shop so far is 70 psi on a CR-V.

"I can't get it to 100%"

Legit had a girl come in with about 7qts of oil in her little Chevy Spark because the oil level on the dash kept going down so she kept adding more oil to it and it wouldn't go back up and she was scared because she didn't have time to get an oil change, she had to get to work. Added so much oil it flooded the engine and would not start, miraculously nothing seemed damaged just drained it, filled to correct level, cleared the plugs and cylinders of excess oil, and drove the crap out of to clear up the smoking. I made sure to show her (and her mother and her brother) how to check the oil correctly as they didn't know how. No one ever explained how that works so they thought oil life was how much oil was in it. That also means everyone she knew was changing their oil at 0% oil life. I also clarified that should be getting changed at 30% because it's not very smart.

And the yearly 'I swear I didn't put diesel in it" that put diesel in it.

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

"I can't get it to 100%"

Legit had a girl come in with about 7qts of oil in her little Chevy Spark because the oil level on the dash kept going down so she kept adding more oil to it and it wouldn't go back up and she was scared because she didn't have time to get an oil change, she had to get to work. Added so much oil it flooded the engine and would not start, miraculously nothing seemed damaged just drained it, filled to correct level, cleared the plugs and cylinders of excess oil, and drove the crap out of to clear up the smoking. I made sure to show her (and her mother and her brother) how to check the oil correctly as they didn't know how. No one ever explained how that works so they thought oil life was how much oil was in it. That also means everyone she knew was changing their oil at 0% oil life. I also clarified that should be getting changed at 30% because it's not very smart.

And the yearly 'I swear I didn't put diesel in it" that put diesel in it.

Haven't seen that before.

Legit happened today - not a record though

Screenshot2023-09-12at5_28_36PM.thumb.png.04b9691eb0fbc9b8584cf2f4f8d4a865.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Haven't seen that before.

Legit happened today - not a record though

-snip-

They just want better gas mileage /s

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This was the action of the day.... Went well enough and was done quickly too.

Clutchbleedersetup.thumb.JPG.fdeb6a7c8d92de0b7713c0389726d464.JPG

Next job on the 'ol list being powersteering hose replacement. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:08 AM, Vonrottes said:

Was supposed to  take the truck out today and finish tuning but my wideband had other plans.... So instead of getting some shots on the road here's a quick shot at the neighborhood park 😂DSC_6692.thumb.png.1e8bdb807dbd4b872cfa689ebe6a1d69.png

Having the door decals back on really make it look a lot better 

I'm not a truck guy but I really dig this.

I am not having a great time right now

IMG_7354.thumb.jpeg.ba3fce25d59a9a23eddfdf6eb0f279a0.jpeg

new speakers won’t fit normally, but I can reuse the rings kinda

IMG_7355.thumb.jpeg.02f746ce9f199b00e42ebc0e843262cc.jpeg

Pulling the ring off and cutting out some of the center grille allows the new speakers to kinda sit in their place

IMG_7357.thumb.jpeg.83dd3ae3fa0083032f7bbef74eb58654.jpeg

silicone to hold the speakers to the ring

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.a05ad5cbf8521a1a14bf827e930dadae.jpeg

old speakers were toast

IMG_7358.jpeg.dd37d9c0612394b43f38c0eb6f06b5c8.jpeg

wiring is soldered up 

now I have to wait for the silicone to cure 

They’re in, they sound dope

IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.67cc3c7ff8944619d9e70e25146b3e82.jpeg

thank you internet car boomers for this tip:

IMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.e95f99fae7a1a56cf039a9dd9e5cbc55.jpeg

You can remove wind up window handle clips by pulling a rag along the clip, pulls it out easily 

On 9/13/2023 at 11:13 AM, Lingwendil said:

I'm not a truck guy but I really dig this.

At nearly the same size as a Chevy Cruze, I barely consider an S-series a truck 😝😝😝

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

They’re in, they sound dope

IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.67cc3c7ff8944619d9e70e25146b3e82.jpeg

thank you internet car boomers for this tip:

IMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.e95f99fae7a1a56cf039a9dd9e5cbc55.jpeg

You can remove wind up window handle clips by pulling a rag along the clip, pulls it out easily 

Bleach Wite tire cleaner will absolutely obliterate grim and crud and restore the blue plastic to its original bright blue color.

Rear speakers going in

the rear ones were in fine shape, so this is mostly for something a little louder? I’m not going to block rocking bass or anything, but the original rear speakers were tinny and quiet 

so these are less tinny and a little louder

IMG_7392.thumb.jpeg.eca9e6ea61bcec92c26da15c1f1948d5.jpeg

the wiring for this is fairly straight forward though the color scheme, oh my god

IMG_7393.thumb.jpeg.d53f0cf3021c1ab2c284ecee786d0a64.jpeg

I’ve never seen a red negative in my life 

22 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Rear speakers going in

the rear ones were in fine shape, so this is mostly for something a little louder? I’m not going to block rocking bass or anything, but the original rear speakers were tinny and quiet 

the wiring for this is fairly straight forward though the color scheme, oh my god

It's only grounds that are almost universal black. Speakers technically run on AC voltage so negative and positive are just to keep them all in the same phase.

Finally got the powersteering leak fixed and next up, a chassis adjustment to the suspension's torsion bars so it sits level all around.
Driver's side is a bit high for some reason but that's not a big deal to resolve.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

The college I'm going to has an unofficial official 24hrs of Lemons team. We got a yellow BMW Z4 with no interior for $400, and we put in a clutch for about 100$. Safety items don't count towards the $500, so we bought a racing seat that has gone on backorder and was supposed to be here months ago, and we are driving it to Philadelphia once we get the seat in order to get a rollcage fitted. The z4 is the 2.8l, which is the best engine for us, given the larger 3.5 or 3.2 or whatever overheats fairly easily. So far the engineering on this car makes me love it and hate it at the same time. We have 3-d printed "POS" badges for the car, as well as put up a vinyl banner that says "fuckin' lemonade". We are going to the James Dean event in Indiana if anyone wants to go. I'll probably post pictures later.

6 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

The college I'm going to has an unofficial official 24hrs of Lemons team. We got a yellow BMW Z4 with no interior for $400, and we put in a clutch for about 100$. Safety items don't count towards the $500, so we bought a racing seat that has gone on backorder and was supposed to be here months ago, and we are driving it to Philadelphia once we get the seat in order to get a rollcage fitted. The z4 is the 2.8l, which is the best engine for us, given the larger 3.5 or 3.2 or whatever overheats fairly easily. So far the engineering on this car makes me love it and hate it at the same time. We have 3-d printed "POS" badges for the car, as well as put up a vinyl banner that says "fuckin' lemonade". We are going to the James Dean event in Indiana if anyone wants to go. I'll probably post pictures later.

https://rove.me/to/indiana/james-dean-festival

That?

On 9/17/2023 at 3:17 PM, Bitter said:

Oh yeah, bought some new tires.

Came 'bundled' with this thing.

-snip-

niiice!! New daily

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

Yeah

a 1998 BMW z4 isn't exactly retro, but I'm not in charge of the club or the festival, and we need the funding since a custom rollcage and fancy racing seats cost a lot of money. We need fancy racing seats because one of our team members is like 6'5, and the roll cage has to be able to fit them in it while they sit in the seat, and a seat and rollcage that can support someone that tall are hard to get your hands on in a car this small.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:16 PM, JoaoPRSousa said:

Z3

Yeah, my mistake, I don't pay attention to german cars as the tend to be... well the word is shit.

On 9/17/2023 at 3:25 PM, 8tg said:

Rear speakers going in

😧 reminds me, I need to order new speakers for my truck. The 12 year old pioneer speakers are trashed.

4x6 in the dash and replacing the 4x9 in the rear with 4x6 as well with some plate adapters. Hopefully it'll sound better than the busted 4x6 and 4" rounds it has now.

Maybe I'll spring for a low profile sub to replace the old full size 12 I had behind the seat 😂

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

1 hour ago, Vonrottes said:

😧 reminds me, I need to order new speakers for my truck. The 12 year old pioneer speakers are trashed.

4x6 in the dash and replacing the 4x9 in the rear with 4x6 as well with some plate adapters. Hopefully it'll sound better than the busted 4x6 and 4" rounds it has now.

Maybe I'll spring for a low profile sub to replace the old full size 12 I had behind the seat 😂

Have a pair of 12's behind mine now with a 300W amp and like yours, it's just a standard cab.
I have to agree - A single 12 will do just fine and may be what I go with if and when I redo these speakers.
Not using them anymore because they need refoaming and until that's done they can't be used..... And the fact the stereo is out of the truck ATM too.
So until all that is done, no tunes in my cab. 🙄

Speaking of the truck, after all the work I've done recently I took it out today on the Interstate and it did very well, the clutch and powersteering were just fine and it ran with traffic like nothing to it.
I even had some folks pass me thinking it would be slow due to it's age and I was already doing speeds others were..... Then I zoomed right by them and didn't even have to downshift or push it too hard at all. 😁
It's been awhile since I've stretched it's legs and it was about time to do it anyway with all the recent work done, so I did and it responded like always.

Last big detail ATM to do is to replace the pitman arm (All the rest of the steering/suspension stuff has been replaced/rebuilt recently) and I'll have to separate the steering column shaft from the steering body, remove the hoses, get the pitman arm loose from the draglink and then remove the steering body itself with the pitman arm still on it from the truck.
You can't get a puller on it due to the frame/crossmember support for the transfer case so it has to be removed from the truck to do it.
Get it done, make sure to check and service it all again and it should be ready for the long haul.

I'll probrably get to that within the next week or so.... Maybe.