Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 hours ago, vetali said:

Sales has been going and buying EVs lately. A Tesla Model Y LR and a VW ID.4. The ID.4 was much more annoying to figure out how to use than the Tesla. The damn touch button to toggle the drivers window switch from front to rear had me stumped. Finding the mileage on the Tesla was weird. I didn't expect the Tesla's seats to be as comfortable as they were. Kinda looked like they wouldn't.

This is what keeps me from buying an EV. Instead of making the interior controls and gauges etc, as "normal" as possible, EV makers have to go, "Look! We're REALLY different!" and that is dangerous thinking when Joe Average is piloting a 2 ton vehicle at speed and gets confused about how the controls work...and then gets distracted.

The Caddy EV (based on the Bolt IIRC) did it right, it looks very car-like inside. I'd buy one of those if I could find one. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, 8tg said:

I love my ghetto engine lamp

an ikea bendy usb lamp hanging from the hood

49A7581F-8C32-4D76-A8DC-C195F23B1E7E.thumb.jpeg.6900287f4c829c5c1636c39035e6c605.jpeg

I didn’t disconnect the battery last time and that may have fucked up the IAC memory according to the internet, so before I install the new one that arrives tomorrow, I’ll leave the battery disconnected overnight 

someone fucked up the negative terminal by just clamping it shut as hard as possible (it still wiggles a little) so I just removed the cable from the clamp outright

They don't have adaptive idle, it's just a lookup table based on airflow, air temp, engine temp, and throttle position (which may just be open/closed). Your rough idle may be bad mounts or an engine issue like low compression. You can take the weight off the mounts by lifting the engine slightly by the oil pan with a block of wood on a floor jack. They're also sensitive to dirty MAF's, make sure that's been cleaned.

9 hours ago, vetali said:

Getting those old Fords to run right requires a PHD in necromancy.

The CVH's are such simple engines beyond mechanical issues there's really not a lot to them. Hell, they'll even run AND DRIVE on just 2 cyl with half the coil pack dead! I don't think Ford designed them to do that but they'll do that.  They're not great engines but they can be reliable engines if you know what you're doing which is all basic common sense mechanical knowledge, like don't chase problems until you know what's causing them lol.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is what keeps me from buying an EV. Instead of making the interior controls and gauges etc, as "normal" as possible, EV makers have to go, "Look! We're REALLY different!" and that is dangerous thinking when Joe Average is piloting a 2 ton vehicle at speed and gets confused about how the controls work...and then gets distracted.

The Caddy EV (based on the Bolt IIRC) did it right, it looks very car-like inside. I'd buy one of those if I could find one. 

There is a learning curve. I still don't like not having dedicated HVAC controls. I didn't miss the gauge cluster at all in the model Y. A HUD would be nice though.

58 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The CVH's are such simple engines beyond mechanical issues there's really not a lot to them. Hell, they'll even run AND DRIVE on just 2 cyl with half the coil pack dead! I don't think Ford designed them to do that but they'll do that.  They're not great engines but they can be reliable engines if you know what you're doing which is all basic common sense mechanical knowledge, like don't chase problems until you know what's causing them lol.

Problem isn't their complexity. Its the availability of parts and quality of parts. Aftermarket replacement parts are your only options for them, and I don't trust anything aftermarket anymore.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Aftermarket replacement parts are your only options for them, and I don't trust anything aftermarket anymore.

I speak as someone in the automotive industry, you shouldn’t even trust oem parts:

DDA10A63-74AD-4367-981B-ACB3E970EFAC.thumb.jpeg.cbf74d8e78a24bd4c684f6267216e5e3.jpeg

E9CA4830-3AB1-4198-84EF-09BF2285EE90.thumb.jpeg.8ca2d5b21127cf1c1c92d363b742e27d.jpeg

2B16A2BE-E0FF-49DA-83E6-FD25DE525FB2.thumb.jpeg.34f697fa08616bdb6a1c9b13ce68a3f3.jpeg

B497D88A-765A-4330-A3F3-02739BC0870F.thumb.jpeg.993385880d6e0fd80d40dd2dfdc11018.jpeg

Also it all comes from the same places. The companies we get like, wiring harnesses from, make them for every major auto manufacturer and sell individually as aftermarket. Almost everything is like that. We get trailers of alternators, brake master cylinders, heater cores, calipers, whatever. If you look into the company and what they do and who they make stuff for, it’s the same shit for Chrysler, GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, etc 

Champion Spark Plugs, 6912 of them pouring out of that gray container there because the supplier stacked them high, are made in China and shipped to Federal Mogul in South Bend Indiana to be inspected and then forwarded to us, and then we send it them to every single Chrysler engine plant in North America.

Its all the same shit 

The parts that commonly fail on those cars are parts that Ford used for 30+ years and are available in either Motorcraft or decent aftermarket.

Anyway, got to use the big gun today. Just gotta figure out how to reinstall with the air hammer....

As an example of “it’s all the same shit”

the Delphi IAC I ordered came from BorgWarner:

55828811-BDB0-497B-B69D-D3137A7C8515.jpeg.66edf14f1d43b2abfe3d0d546b5a3ab7.jpeg

They’re a supplier of a variety of parts in my workplace, example based off part reports:

(this information is non confidential and includes publicly researchable part numbers, no time specific information is present here)

A45755B0-D736-4B75-9440-A75340281C40.thumb.png.baab79ab1f8eed36622b6cd6cacacd9f.png

this is filtered by BorgWarner and their sub names, and excludes all unnamed parts just to show the part variety 

They “make” god damn everything, tubing, transmission components, core engine components, brakes, timing components, hvac components, and they make them for basically every vehicle ever made.

This stuff goes everywhere.

This whole parts sheet is updated often but right now it’s over 54,000 unique parts, from 350 different suppliers. And if you look into who these suppliers are, they’re massive companies and names who make stuff for every company.

”Delphi” alone is another 30 different parts in our system and it’s just more BorgWarner on the boxes.

After working here that whole “get the oem part” thing is nonsense, unless you’re buying clearly 3rd party stuff direct from China, it’s OEM. And even then a substantial amount of auto parts are from China as the first party.

Example, part 68194604AA from Beijing Zhongyong Auto Parts Co, Is manufacturered in Beijing, assembled in Cuautitlán Izcalli Mexico, and then shipped to us, who then sends it to the Kokomo Indiana engine plant where it’s put on the 2023 Dodge Hornet, and every jeep ever made as “exhaust camshaft sensor capacitor cover”.

And that company makes those sensor heat shields for everyone, I get several thousand of them at a time, they cost $12 each on mymoparparts for some unholy reason.

Another good one, this is a trailer from Mexico, it’s current as of today so the full number is hidden.

pardon my cut up finger, spark plug 4 won the battle

8F48CC7B-8A2B-4D19-BE3A-91864E748543.thumb.jpeg.745484a473d47cbe6acfc7e4163429f9.jpeg

that is 1080 turbochargers and 12672 ignition coils

guess where they come from

2ABFF6AD-6A88-4C8A-9A43-0303B6AD2E4E.thumb.jpeg.f7f7f98a2abfaa30da622cae0330eae2.jpeg

E6928426-2663-4B81-8463-4F8EEEB53274.thumb.jpeg.378014c28f0ce75a73e33d75cd56d678.jpeg

BorgWarner, out of Mexico 

to be installed in whatever boring Chrysler engine has a turbo on it 

it’s all the same, it all comes from the same places

But quality control is different between different brands and lines? We used to get a radiator same brand, from our warehouse supplier it was A LOT better quality and slightly higher price, from a retail supplier it was cheaper but way worse quality. Same brand on the box! Retail part often didn't fit right and had thinner plastic.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

quality control

Counterpoint:

8F8A12C3-40A0-4C41-8D53-16C11D9FC548.jpeg.a4288913cc71e8cdff595a1df0a989f5.jpeg

Quality control is meaningless when even the manufacturer can’t take care of their own parts after affirming their quality, the rest of the chain has very little say in what is certified good or not 

10 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Counterpoint:

8F8A12C3-40A0-4C41-8D53-16C11D9FC548.jpeg.a4288913cc71e8cdff595a1df0a989f5.jpeg

Quality control is meaningless when even the manufacturer can’t take care of their own parts after affirming their quality, the rest of the chain has very little say in what is certified good or not 

Sorry, I slammed on my brakes in front of that truck. My bad.

10 hours ago, 8tg said:

I speak as someone in the automotive industry, you shouldn’t even trust oem parts:

Also it all comes from the same places. The companies we get like, wiring harnesses from, make them for every major auto manufacturer and sell individually as aftermarket. Almost everything is like that. We get trailers of alternators, brake master cylinders, heater cores, calipers, whatever. If you look into the company and what they do and who they make stuff for, it’s the same shit for Chrysler, GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, etc 

Champion Spark Plugs, 6912 of them pouring out of that gray container there because the supplier stacked them high, are made in China and shipped to Federal Mogul in South Bend Indiana to be inspected and then forwarded to us, and then we send it them to every single Chrysler engine plant in North America.

Its all the same shit 

Problem isn't (as much) just OEMs. Logistics as a whole is a completely fucked industry. Nothing is transported properly and most of the hands that touch what's being moved have zero care to follow procedure.

9 hours ago, 8tg said:

I speak as someone that works on these shitboxes for a living. Just had two back to back Ford Exploder condenser jobs. One OEM, one aftermarket. I had to bend the aftermarket one to fit. Motorcraft one bolted right up. Our aftermarket warranty cost is usually around 15-25k a year including labor. OEM Honda is a bit high right now due to a tech screwing up an install on a EPS rack and causing it to bind up, but its only one part YTD and not the parts failure even though they forced it through parts warranty.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

New car is here.

PXL-20230512-201241032.jpg

F30 340i. Loving it so far. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

13 hours ago, HM-2 said:

F30 340i.

Swanky. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thank goodness it's not one of the hot vee veeeights. Those are a nightmare long term. So many tiny nearly inaccessible plastic coolant fittings in very hot places that leak.

RIP:

The past 3 days were quite enjoyable. Bikes, rock, and lots of "fun"...... 😄

18 hours ago, HM-2 said:

New car is here.

PXL-20230512-201241032.jpg

F30 340i. Loving it so far. 

Best non individual colour too

I wanted an F31 to replace my M240i but the mrs wouldnt let me spend that much again 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Welp, I finally bought a car! OG 9-3 coupe, with a 2.0t, 185bhp engine, not too much rust, and 310,000km on clock. Cheap as chips!

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

2 hours ago, IKnight said:

Welp, I finally bought a car! OG 9-3 coupe, with a 2.0t, 185bhp engine, not too much rust, and 310,000km on clock. Cheap as chips!

Can't wait to hear how you also blew it up

Had planned on doing some work on it today....
Some front-end work and fixing a power steering leak....

101_1262.thumb.JPG.90e6ab40839281a91a2c472416b529ba.JPG

But when this happened I was like "Nah, I'll wait".
I think I made the right call here.

101_1264.thumb.JPG.dd377be832a16a522670a83ff864d5d9.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Kind of feeling like doing another roadtrip to a far away land 

I’ve done Colorado, Montana, southern and Northern California, Florida(key west), Tennessee/North Carolina (multiple times)

thinking maybe east coast as I’m a bit lacking there, but that’s all big cities and I kind of hate big cities 😂

or somewhere or the Dakotas? @Real_PhillBert (I think you’re near there?) is that worth it? Thinking badlands but not really sure what else I should see there lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Niagra Falls isn't a bad destination BUT do be warned if you go, while on the Canadian side to have your own water/drink with you before you cross over.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Kind of feeling like doing another roadtrip to a far away land 

I’ve done Colorado, Montana, southern and Northern California, Florida(key west), Tennessee/North Carolina (multiple times)

thinking maybe east coast as I’m a bit lacking there, but that’s all big cities and I kind of hate big cities 😂

or somewhere or the Dakotas? @Real_PhillBert (I think you’re near there?) is that worth it? Thinking badlands but not really sure what else I should see there lol 

https://tailofthedragon.com/